Author Topic: Meshuggah  (Read 110660 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Meshuggah
« Reply #490 on: August 22, 2015, 08:51:06 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #491 on: August 22, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
Crazy video. It was funny for a couple of seconds, and then it was awesome. And then it wasn't good enough to be awesome anymore.

Anyway the only really great meshuggah drum covers are from Troy Wright.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #492 on: April 06, 2016, 04:13:05 AM »
New album update, kind of. Just a picture of a mic'd up snare.

https://www.facebook.com/meshuggah/posts/10154111251521170:0

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #493 on: April 06, 2016, 07:53:12 AM »
Bring it on, i'm ready!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: April 06, 2016, 08:45:50 AM »
Meshuggah record their instruments with microphones ? !

I thought they wrote everything out in MIDI a crotchet at a time and recorded guitar directly into Cubase via digital amps or whatever.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #495 on: April 06, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »
I think Fredrik and Haake program all drumtracks as demos and clicktracks before they record anything after that they record the acoustic drums and everything as usual.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #496 on: April 06, 2016, 09:16:26 AM »
Yes, only Catch 33 has programmed drums, all others are legit recorded drums.

Also, excited for a new album!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: April 06, 2016, 10:09:59 AM »
Yes, only Catch 33 has programmed drums, all others are legit recorded drums.

Also, excited for a new album!

Technically, Nothing redux (2006/blue cover) is halfsies – they used the real drums to trigger Drumkit From Hell sounds, so it basically sounds as programmed as Catch 33 even though none of it is.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #498 on: April 06, 2016, 11:35:22 AM »
Add War from Rare Trax to the list, apparently their first song using programmed drums which is pretty obvious when you listen.  :lol Although i've heard Kai Hahto cover the song with his band.

Offline Cable

« Reply #499 on: April 07, 2016, 09:40:56 PM »
The best part of War is someone laughs at some point, knowing how ridiculous the song is.
---

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: April 08, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »
I love "War!" Great song that is too short. Tomas Haake could easily learn it these days.

Makes you wonder how many contemporary tech death bands listened to it on repeat. Another of the many ways Meshuggah have always been ahead.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #501 on: April 08, 2016, 08:51:25 AM »
The best part of War is someone laughs at some point, knowing how ridiculous the song is.
Yea I just listen to it and it's Jens that laughs after a scream.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: July 29, 2016, 02:44:34 AM »
The CD's title and artwork were apparently revealed in the new issue of Revolver magazine, which features a full-page ad for the effort.

So that's apparently the title for their next album and it's coming in october!  :metal :corn

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #503 on: July 29, 2016, 03:24:02 AM »
Fucking hype!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: July 29, 2016, 08:29:04 AM »
The day before my birthday! I guess I'm just gonna pull the trigger on the vinyl whenever it goes up, because this band gets the shitty end of the stick in that format for some reason. If you don't buy it on wax when it comes out, good luck ever getting it for a decent price ever again.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #505 on: August 05, 2016, 05:30:39 AM »
Official artwork and tracklist for The Violent Sleep of Reason:

01 - Clockworks
02 - Born in Dissonance
03 - MonstroCity
04 - By the Ton   
05 - Violent Sleep of Reason
06 - Ivory Tower
07 - Stifled
08 - Nostrum
09 - Our Rage Won't Die
10 - Into Decay

-----

The artwork is very similar to Koloss, which I think is weird, and the font for the album title is pretty wonky. Like, death-metal-band-trying-to-have-a-evil-looking-and-edgy-font wonky. But whatever, I'm pumped for new Meshuggah music.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:05:27 AM by BlackInk »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #506 on: August 05, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
Also, preorders are up on Nuclear Blast. Just bought the black vinyl set.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #507 on: August 05, 2016, 10:58:26 AM »
Pretty cool artwork! Like the song titles, especially Born of Dissonance.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: August 05, 2016, 12:47:26 PM »
Also, preorders are up on Nuclear Blast. Just bought the black vinyl set.

I got it on clear. Fact is, buy it now or you'll never see the records in print again until the label does a ripoff anniversary box set. How such a popular (in metal, anyway) band went so long with so many celebrated albums without reissues is mindblowing in the worst possible way. Chaosphere never saw the light of day since it first came out! To say Nuclear Blast is pretty irresponsible about it is just the beginning.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: August 25, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
Bump because they posted "Born in Dissonance." Really interesting riffs in this one, running all over the fretboard more than usual.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #510 on: August 25, 2016, 09:16:06 AM »
Cool song, it probably won't be a favorite but pretty cool. Only listened once so far though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #511 on: August 25, 2016, 10:12:07 AM »
Such a cool riff! I'm diggin it alot, it's just so in your face but still groovy as hell!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #512 on: August 26, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »
I've listened to it, about fifteen times today. The rythmic design is amazing as always, and the part after the solo gives me goosebumps. I wouldn't be surprised if the new album kicks Koloss's ass.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #513 on: August 27, 2016, 12:37:38 AM »
I've listened to a couple of Meshuggah albums and to the new song and I share some of the thoughts of the first page of this topic: that they are very repetitive. It seems they are heavy for the sake of being heavy, there is never a pause for the listener to breathe. The vocals mostly never stop and they also sound the same on every song. I saw a lot of people defending them because they are "technical", well.. so are most prog bands, being metal or not.

I know a lot of bands copy them (including some bands I like), but I could never get into them. Maybe I am "listening wrong". I'd rather listen to old Opeth.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #514 on: August 27, 2016, 02:05:12 AM »
I don't think you can listen to it wrong. If it's not your thing it's not your thing. I personally love them though, not because the technical side (although that's always cool too) but more for the feeling I get when I listen to them.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #515 on: August 27, 2016, 04:28:24 AM »
Yea they've pretty much stuck with the same formula for 20 years, well not completly but i'm just saying they have a very distinct sound and idea of how they want their music to sound. It's not for everyone but they're not writing music for anyone but themself, sounds selfish but it's really not.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #516 on: August 29, 2016, 08:14:06 AM »
Catch 33 is my favorite from them and the monotonous repetitiveness is one of the things that makes this song (or record) so great. Don't know if this makes sense and I don't know if anyone can relate to it, but those endless riffs and screaming over it with little variation (for most parts) drag me right into the music. I always compare this to running, it is monotonous and boring, but after some time you don't feel it anymore and can actually enjoy what you're doing.

It doesn't work with every song, but they are unique in how they sound, I appreciate that.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #517 on: August 29, 2016, 08:25:52 AM »
I'm with ChuckSteak.  I've tried with Meshuggah several times, but I just can't do monotonous, repetitive and boring.  I can appreciate their technical prowess, but I would take Tool every single day.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #518 on: September 05, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »
MESHUGGAH - Lyrical Inspiration: The Violent Sleep of Reason

A new track is playing in the background, i'm guessing it's the title track. Anyway, it's sounds eerie as hell and chaotic from what I can hear.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #519 on: September 15, 2016, 10:44:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3vxIoCOvxQ

New track 'Nostrum'. This one is brutal as hell.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #520 on: September 15, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
That's what I call a proper ear assault of the awesome kind.

Haake told Metal Hammer that MESHUGGAH recorded "The Violent Sleep Of Reason" live in the studio — marking the first time they have done that "in 20-25 years." He said: "It was time limitations that stopped us doing it before. And it's been interesting.

"If you put it all together using computers, then you often have to fix problems after the fact. I've gone back to records where I've not known every drum part. And once you do that, you can start with drums and then just add layers of guitars and then bass and it all sounds perfect.
I love that it's all played live in the studio, it's a very organic sound they're going for.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #521 on: September 20, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »
Nostrum (DRUM PLAYTHROUGH w/ TOMAS HAAKE)

Looks so much fun to play.  :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #522 on: September 27, 2016, 11:32:29 AM »

So, new tour dates announced.

Actually not sure if these dates had been announced before and it's the support that's just been announced. Either way, this is the first time I've seen this. Quite tempted as I used to be a huge fan of The Haunted. They're still a pretty good band but I don't listen so much.

I've never seen Meshuggah though. I've got quite a few of their albums and I have to be in the mood but I know they would be brutal live!! If the tickets are reasonable I'll probably go to the Bristol show  :metal

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #523 on: September 30, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »

So, new tour dates announced.

Actually not sure if these dates had been announced before and it's the support that's just been announced. Either way, this is the first time I've seen this. Quite tempted as I used to be a huge fan of The Haunted. They're still a pretty good band but I don't listen so much.

I've never seen Meshuggah though. I've got quite a few of their albums and I have to be in the mood but I know they would be brutal live!! If the tickets are reasonable I'll probably go to the Bristol show  :metal

I've seen them twice now in Toronto and it's always incredible!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #524 on: October 01, 2016, 04:40:20 PM »
Yea don't miss out if you haven't seen them before. Although it's been a while since the last time I saw them they're always awesome live.