Author Topic: Wolfking's Nevermore top 25 v. Now this is just getting silly  (Read 14979 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
They would for me as well if Nevermore's discography wasn't so god damn strong.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Who are Nevermore?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Who are Nevermore?
An awesome metal band. Find someway to listen to their album Dead Heart in a Dead World. You shan't regret it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Who are Nevermore?

An amazing metal band
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
So, I listened to TGE. Brutal riffery. Nice chunk. But I can't dig the dudes voice. But when he was screaming/growling/sorta black metally shit over a reall slow heavy riff. That was :metal but I can't see myself getting into these guys.

Oh, and while Jeff Loomis is talented, mindless shredding will always suck.
The sole fact that you dismiss any shredding as "mindless" actually legitimately bothers me.

And I still will never understand the distaste people get for Warrel's voice. I mean, to each his own, but no other voice would work for Nevermore. He gives them a much more definitive sound.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Loomis is one of the most tasteful shredders in the last 20 years!!!

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
So, I listened to TGE. Brutal riffery. Nice chunk. But I can't dig the dudes voice. But when he was screaming/growling/sorta black metally shit over a reall slow heavy riff. That was :metal but I can't see myself getting into these guys.

Oh, and while Jeff Loomis is talented, mindless shredding will always suck.
Get the fuck out.
:rollin
Ass kicked.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
11. The Seven Tongues of God

This is another one of those album openers that just sets the tone of the album perfectly. The quick, galloping riffs instantly recall a heavier Iron Maiden. The intro riff still stands as one of my favorite riffs of all time. Also not to be ignored, the solos from Loomis and future Cannibal Corpse guitarist Pat O'Brien are as stellar as ever. Again, Warrel's vocals compliment the riffs like a match made in heaven. Brutally metal heaven.

10. Who Decides

Awesome song right here. It has the apocalyptic heaviness of the other songs on the album, but with a seriously awesome and melodic chorus. The lyrics clearly speak of ethics, and who decides (olol) what is right and what is wrong. The solos are still amazing, and the vocal melodies in the chorus are mind-numbingly win.

BONUS SONG: Sacristy

This song is from Jeff Loomis' solo album, Zero Order Phase. It is easily the highlight of the album. It's the song I would recommend to anyone who believes that Loomis' playing is just mindless shredding (*cough*COLE*cough*). It's gorgeous melodic variation after variation, and then the familiar brutal guitars kick in, allowing Loomis to bring up the shred knob and melt faces all around the planet. Astounding.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Bonus song!?? WTF?!?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
I had to mention it in this thread because it's Nevermore related but not in the running for the list.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
9. The Obsidian Conspiracy

Another one of those sure-to-be-classic songs that just owns your face the first time you play it, and it never lets up. The riffage is fast and brutal, like it should be. Warrel's vocals shine just as they usually do. The chorus is phenomenal and catchy. The solo section is astounding and jaw dropping. I'd dare to call it a perfect song.

8. I, Voyager

Amazing song. Absolutely nothing to complain about. The only problem is, it's good for pretty much exactly the same reasons that all the other songs are good.  :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
7. Evolution 169

One thing that totally sets this song apart from all the others is the solo section. The riff leading into it, and the variation on said riff during the actual solo is pure win. The chorus is another favorite.

6. The Heart Collector

My favorite Nevermore ballad. This one has it all. A decently heavy chorus, quiet verses letting Warrel stretch out, and an AMAZING vocal melody in the chorus. Fantastic.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
5. This Godless Endeavor

Man, this song is just fantastic. An epic in every sense of the word, this song is the perfect example of why Nevermore is so good. It has everything, from the riffs and vocals to the solos and melodic sections. Amazing.

4. The River Dragon Has Come

Alright, now we're really getting into the hard hitters. River Dragon is a pretty straightforward song, following the verse chorus format obediently. The reason it's up here is because, well, it's so damned heavy. I'd go so far as to call the opening riff one of the heaviest riffs I've ever heard, period. Loomis' solo exercise near the middle is awe-inspiring as well.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
The very fact that you aren't bowing down every day to This Godless Endeavor shows slight signs of failure. But hey, it's forgivable. At least it's in the top 5.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
5. This Godless Endeavor

Man, this song is just fantastic. An epic in every sense of the word, this song is the perfect example of why Nevermore is so good. It has everything, from the riffs and vocals to the solos and melodic sections. Amazing.

This song is too low in your list.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
3. Ambivalent

This song is so amazing. It's awesome in every sense of the word. It rapes your family. That's how epic it is. The death metal riff after the chorus is  :metal as fuck, and the rest of the song is sweet too.

2. Born (The Retribution of Spiritual Sickness)

Another perfect song here. The opener of This Godless Endeavor sets the mood up right, and tears faces off with its residual awesomeness. Fuck yeah.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
2. Born (The Retribution of Spiritual Sickness)

Another perfect song here. The opener of This Godless Endeavor sets the mood up right, and tears faces off with its residual awesomeness. Fuck yeah.

This is about right.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Guesses at the #1 pick are more than welcome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Narcosynthesis???

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Dead Heart In A Dead World or We Disintigrate

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: UMH's Nevermore Top 25 (formerly affiliated with Lateralus88 & Snacky smores)
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »
1. Narcosynthesis

This song is the definition of flawless musical perfection. The guitar riffs are some of the best I've ever heard. The chorus is easily THE best I've ever heard. And of course, the guitar solos and the vocal melodies are flawless. This song embodies Nevermore, and is the first song I would recommend to anyone who wants a feel for their music. It's all right here.

So, there it is. Have at it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: UMH's Nevermore Top 25 (formerly affiliated with Lateralus88 & Snacky smores)
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2010, 02:30:33 AM »
1. Narcosynthesis

This song is the definition of flawless musical perfection. The guitar riffs are some of the best I've ever heard. The chorus is easily THE best I've ever heard. And of course, the guitar solos and the vocal melodies are flawless. This song embodies Nevermore, and is the first song I would recommend to anyone who wants a feel for their music. It's all right here.

So, there it is. Have at it.

Holy shit, I can't believe I picked that, WIN!

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2010, 05:54:26 AM »
Both are great lists, when a band like Nevermore puts out so much quality material you're bound to have a great Top-list. I still can't grasp why some of the DNB-songs aren't mentioned. I'd like to see songs like 'No More Will' and 'Poison Godmachine' swapped for some of the more modern NM-songs in their live setlists.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2010, 06:34:36 AM »
Hey guys can i do a top 25 next??

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »
Go ahead but you'll have to get Lat to change the thread title.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »
I'm on it. Changing the title.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Wolfking's Nevermore top 25 v. Now this is just getting silly
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »
Epic title change.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »
I'm down with that, I'll start mine later on today.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2010, 05:16:18 AM »
25. What Tomorrow Knows

The first Nevermore song I ever heard.  I loved the doomy pace, the twisted, powerful vocals and the more AIC/Pantera/MH, style riffs and grooves really took to me.  I love Warrel's vocals on this one, his emotion is sensational, and some tasty fitting lead work from Loomis.

24. Emptiness Unobstructed

One of the better tracks on TOC.  A great chorus and verse, which both really remind me of Believe in Nothing.  I like this song mainly for the chorus, it just soars, Loomis of course doesn't disappoint.  Love the Enemies of Reality style lick in the solo.

23. Garden of Gray

This is a great song.  Nice crunchy riffs, and a little melodic.  I love Warrel's vocals in this one also, especially in the pre chorus.  Loomis shreds this one up too.  A great, underrated Nevermore track.  Reminds me a little of King Diamond style.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2010, 07:37:01 AM »
Garden of Gray would likely be my #27. It was in the initial list I had written up. Solid song indeed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2010, 08:07:08 PM »
Garden of Gray would likely be my #27. It was in the initial list I had written up. Solid song indeed.

Yep, more list coming later.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2010, 05:54:02 AM »
22. The Lotus Eaters

Here's one from the amazing Dreaming Neon Black album.  A beautiful slow tune which is extremelly haunting.  The atmosphere that this track gives off is immense, amazing chorus.

21. Dead Heart in a Dead World

I love the intro, it's got so much atmosphere.  My favourite part is when it breaks into the main riff at around the 1:30 mark.  An amazing thrash riff that tears heads off, it also shares itself with a section of TGE, which I don't mind it all.

20. Ambivalent

Classic Nevermore!  The middle Loomis section is by far the highlight of this song. Loomis shows why he's one of the best, most tasteful shredders of the last 20 years.

19. The Psalm of Lydia

A cracking tune.  I love how the main riff shifts between 4/4 and 7/8 time, a great touch.  The duelling between Jeff and Steve is astounding.  Love the acoustic lick going into the solos too.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »
4 of my favorites. Too low!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2010, 05:16:43 AM »
18. We Disintegrate

This song just fucking stomps all over you.  Love the first minute and Jeff's little solo is very tasty.  Nice chorus, and Warell sounds killer on the verses.  I really like the structure of this song also, very different and fresh.

17. The Obsidian Conspiracy

Best track on the new album, very reminiscent of Born or TGE, good stuff.  Excellent chorus too and of course Loomis is shredding his ass off.  I wish all of the album had this quality and quantity of guitar playing.

16. Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday

A Nevermore ballad.  I adore the soaring chorus on this one, very smooth.  I love this one though, simply because of the guitar solos, Loomis here really writes a song within a song.  His soloing at 3:10 just gives me chills.

15. Poison Godmachine

I think this was the second Nevermore song i heard, and it really has stuck since then.  Another of many highlights on Dreaming Neon Black.  I love the brutality on this one, and the riffs are excellent.

14. Inside Four Walls

Very political song with a very strong message.  Warrel delivers it really well.  Love the pounding riff from the get go, and again Loomis really takes charge when it's solo time.  The key change into the solo is brilliant, and when it changes again, that's just even better.  Loomis does one of the best most cleanest sweeps I've ever heard in that second solo.  Excellent chorus and I love the vocal harmonies Warrel does during it.

13. The Final Product

Brutal song.  Love van's double kicking in this one before the solo it's so heavy.  The line "Did they die for religion or the government" really gives me chills.  Loomis' tapping solo at the start of the solo section is my favourite part.  How how slides into the same tapped note is just amazing!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2010, 05:54:22 AM »
12. Politics of Ecstasy

Amazing song, I really get a Megadeth vibe of this one.  The middle section makes this song, it is amazing, Nevermore showing a bit of DT influence.  I especially love after all the chaos of the middle section it just kicks back into the main riff and keeps kicking your ass.

11. Believe in Nothing

I think the third Nevermore song I ever heard.  Amazing ballad with a slight bit of venom to spice things up.  I love the "We will ever see the shape of tomorrow" line in the chorus.  Brilliant solo from Loomis again.

10. I, Voyager

A simply crushing song, brutal riffs all the way through and a very humorous video that went with it.  Warrel's vocal harmonies in the chorus are amazing.  I especially love how the last two lines of the second first come in early and off time, that's brilliant.  Loomis' sweeping in the solo is just Godly.