Author Topic: Wolfking's Nevermore top 25 v. Now this is just getting silly  (Read 14788 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: Lateralus's Nevermore Top 20
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 04:13:09 PM »
4. The Heart Collector

I love this song. Easily my all time favourite slower song/ballad from Nevermore. The music is slow and often feels a bit melancholic. Especially in Warrel's vocal delivery. During the chorus of this song is when he really shines. The amount of power he puts into his voice during the last chorus of the song, I love it. This song just feels...sad. And it does that really fucking well. Lyrically it's up there as well, having some very well thought out and well written lyrics and lyrical themes. Which Nevermore has always been good for, but it shines so much in this song.

3. The Obsidian Conspiracy

After numerous listens of the new Nevermore album since it's release, I haven't been able to get over how god damn fucking good the title track is. While I really like the album, and find it to be overall really good, nothing on it shines like The Obsidian Conspiracy. Some of Jeff Loomis's best guitar work (riffs, solos, etc.) are in this song alone. From the second that opening riff begins, I just feel ready for one of the most intense musical moments I could imagine. The speed, the brutality and the melodic. It's all there. It's what makes Nevermore the best metal band (at least from the 90s) to still be releasing music today. And the vocals. Warrel is at the top of his game on this song. He in general, just fucking slays. From the second I heard this song on the day of the album's release, I knew this song would be an instant classic for Nevermore. I mean, it climbed up to my list of all time favourite Nevermore songs extremely fast. It's just...so god damn heavy.

2. The Politics of Ecstasy

When making this list, I found myself surprising myself that I hadn't put a SINGLE song from this album on my list. Which is actually kind of funny, because I definitely consider this my second favourite Nevermore record, but there are obviously songs from other albums I like more, I suppose. Now about the song, Politics of Ecstasy. The main riff of this song...oh my god I love it. It's so chunky and so heavy (almost...industrial-ish). It really pounds your head as Warrel wails away at his vocals, which are top notch, by the way. I love the chorus. The way Warrel delivers "Choking on the influx of technology" sounds so damn cool and smooth. But there is one part of this song that shines much more over almost any other Nevermore song. The instrumental section. This is what seperates a good brutally heavy metal song from a musically complex and brilliant progressive metal song. The changes in time signatures, the riffs and and the progression throughout the entire section of the song is a moment of true musical perfection, if you ask me. It's sheer musical chaos. And I fucking love it.

lolallthreesongsstartwith"the"

Side note - As I reach my number one spot, I'd like to address the fact now that there are several songs I "forgot" to add in while doing this. Part of it was because I was a nub and didn't originally make a pre-determined list of songs until I hit 12. I realize now there are several songs I'd switch out, but too late. Tomorrow I'll post #1.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »
This Godless Endeavor at #1
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 09:33:26 PM »
Since we are at number 1, the lack of either Born or Godless Endeavour or possibly both in this top 20 is the ultimate fail.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »
Side note - Yes, I forgot Born. Feel free to ridicule me.

Now with that out of the way, #1 is...*drum roll*

1. This Godless Endeavor (fuck all of you for spoiling it)

TGE is the perfect Nevermore song. It encompasses EVERYTHING that Nevermore does well and creates a flawless musical piece that I could honestly listen to on repeat for over an hour straight (I know, I've done this before.) Not only is TGE my all time favourite Nevermore song, it's easily one of my all time favourite songs in general. I will go as far as to say that this song is the greatest progressive (thrash) metal song ever written. It has everything. Fantastically brutal riffs, face melting solos/sweep picking, Warrel's high notes, intelligently written lyrics and so on. The riffs are easily the best Nevermore have ever written and cause nothing but electricty to flow through my body as I have multiple uncontrollable eargasms.

Yes, Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor is a perfect song. There is literally nothing about it I'd change. And unless they write something that causes me to have a stroke of metal awesomeness, this song will never budge from my #1 spot. Ever.

/thread

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
Ultimetalhead wanted to do a Nevermore top list as well, so we decided he'd do it in my thread. I'll let him take the reigns now. Back to you, UMH.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
Number one is always going to be TGE.

Simply put, it's one of the best metal songs ever created.

Would have liked to have seen Born and My Acid Words in the Top 5 also, but fuck it.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
Number one is always going to be TGE.

Simply put, it's one of the best metal songs ever created.

Would have liked to have seen Born and My Acid Words in the Top 5 also, but fuck it.
Funny thing is, if I had made a pre-determined list beforehand (I didn't think ahead at all), more stuff from TGE would have made it on the list. Oh well, I am still happy with my list as it is.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
I can tell you all that my list will NOT be a total copypasta of Lat's. There's quite a few picks on there that will confuse, anger, and surprise the masses.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
I look forward to it as his was a mess :P

I considered just posting my favorites list as well, sans commentary. But I honestly need to give the new record a few more spins as I'm not sure if any of those would place in my top 25...Although I'm listening to The Blue Marble and the New Soul right now and its wrenching my heart :-[
I have always loved their ballads.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
Downloading This Godless Endeavor and Dead Heart in a Dead World, will post thoughts later.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Dead Heart is my favorite...might even be top ten material.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
Great stuff. Not sure if it's something I could ever fall completely in love with, but it's extremely solid metal with awesome riffage and I can see how you guys could love it :tup

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Great stuff. Not sure if it's something I could ever fall completely in love with, but it's extremely solid metal with awesome riffage and I can see how you guys could love it :tup

I think they're more "when you listened to it" albums. When I connected with those albums that type of metal was right up my alley so I was blown away. Strangely enough for as much shit as I give power metal and the like I really love those two albums. The arpeggios at the end of "This Godless Endeavor" are probably the most tasteful riff based shredding I've heard in a metal song and destroy me every single time.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Nevermore gets called power metal quite often, and every time I see them connected to the genre I understand it less and less.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
I see them as (as lat has put it) progressive thrash metal.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
I just call them progressive metal and leave it at that. *shrug*

Offline DT89

lol @ the omission of The Learning.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
Nevermore are a progressive metal band. I used the word thrash in there for specific songs, mostly. The band includes influences from all different metal genres (power, death, thash/speed, progressive, etc.). But when all is said and done, they are a progressive metal band (with HEAVY thrash influence).

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
25. What Tomorrow Knows

Considering this song was the lead-off song on their debut album, one imagines that Nevermore wanted to really define themselves with this song. I'd say that this goal was more or less accomplished. From the chugging riffs (which absolutely color their discography), Warrel's epic, soaring vocals (which are also abundant in their later work), and the clean electric section building up into a trademark Loomis solo section, this is a Nevermore song through and through. The only reason it's not higher is because the formula is executed in a more interesting way on their subsequent albums. One thing I've always enjoyed about the song is how Warrel's vocal melody does that little jump down (mostly during the end of the song), while the riff stays the same. It adds another element to a fairly repetitive song that keeps it entertaining.

24. Matricide

The second song from the In Memory EP reminds me so much of Iced Earth that it's almost uncanny. I can name a few songs (mostly on Something Wicked) that sound pretty much exactly like this song. The contrasts between the verse and the chorus are what really give this song its life. If there's one thing Nevermore's good at, it's making a really epic chorus that no one would mind hearing 20 more times. Matricide is a fantastic example of that. The guitar solo duel between Jeff Loomis and Pat O'Brien really pushes this song over the edge.

23. Optimist or Pessimist

Immensely headbangable. That's the main thing I have to say about this one. The pounding drum beat behind the speedy riff just gets the neck muscles working without fail. Though, the highlight of this song has to be the sudden mood change into the clean section, the guitar solos fluttering around like butterflies. Then, the song reprises it's fast, chunky riff, allowing for more guitar wizardry and a satisfying, yet abrupt, conclusion to a rather short song.

Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
FECES
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
I'm starting to like this band, but I must point out: the riff in Moonrise is the same as the riff in Symphony X's The Oddysey during The Eye.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.

I just call them "awesome".

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
I have been listening to Nevermore non-stop for days now. I literally can't stop or put on anything else.
I haven't been this way since my DT binge a year ago.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni

I just call them "awesome".

Aye, that works too.

I have been listening to Nevermore non-stop for days now. I literally can't stop or put on anything else.
I haven't been this way since my DT binge a year ago.

I fail to see a problem here.

25. What Tomorrow Knows

Considering this song was the lead-off song on their debut album, one imagines that Nevermore wanted to really define themselves with this song. I'd say that this goal was more or less accomplished. From the chugging riffs (which absolutely color their discography), Warrel's epic, soaring vocals (which are also abundant in their later work), and the clean electric section building up into a trademark Loomis solo section, this is a Nevermore song through and through. The only reason it's not higher is because the formula is executed in a more interesting way on their subsequent albums. One thing I've always enjoyed about the song is how Warrel's vocal melody does that little jump down (mostly during the end of the song), while the riff stays the same. It adds another element to a fairly repetitive song that keeps it entertaining.

Excellent choice! I love this song.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Oh, I wasn't complaining. Just relaying the info. I tend to go through a series of phases with an artist. I get kinda crazy and buy their discography. Then it sits there until I have an initial "discovery", finding that the music just seems to fit me in the moment. It usually is short-lived, and then I come back some time later and become really, really badly obsessed. I have just entered that final stage.
I already stated the same thing with DT...I also remember my time with Anthrax was very similar.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
22. Your Poison Throne

There's two things that I really love about this song. First off, the riff during the verses compliments Warrel's vocals perfectly, which are top notch as usual. The other thing is of course, the chorus. Warrel's layered vocals add an almost Blind Guardian-esque feel, suitably epic. The chanting is a little strange for a band like Nevermore, but it works fine. The melodic solo during the quieter passage is flawless as usual.

21. The Lotus Eaters

The only song you will see from Dreaming Neon Black, this song has that perfect Nevermore ballad feel. A quiet, restrained verse, followed by a chorus with Loomis' massively heavy guitar  giving Warrel room to really explore his range. This one is all about the atmosphere. It gives off that dark, autumn, Opeth feel that I adore so much. Awesome track.

20. A Future Uncertain

Starting with Warrel's layered vocals over a mellow clean guitar, giving way to a crunchy 7-string riff, this song sets the mood perfectly. The lyrics are an obvious knock on humanity, asking why we can't reach a certain point of understanding. Loomis' sweep picking break between the chorus and the next verse is fantastic as usual. The song really takes off during the main guitar solo, before backing off to reveal some piano and bass. This one kind of reminds me of Annihilator, in a way. Kind of a textbook thrash ballad.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
The only song you will see from Dreaming Neon Black

What the hell?!

But agreed, it's my favorite off the album and my favorite of their ballads. It's possibly the most bleak, miserable sounding thing ever, and I love it for that fact. I actually put this much higher myself. It's easily top ten for me.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
DNB is without a doubt their weakest album, and since The Lotus Eater is the best on the album, there's nothing else to put on the list from it.  :tup

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
DNB is without a doubt their weakest album, and since The Lotus Eater is the best on the album, there's nothing else to put on the list from it.  :tup

:omg:

I...don't know how to respond. It was my favorite for the longest time, but was recently bumped out by Dead Heart in a Dead World.
Even Warrel says it's his favorite, and they've contemplated playing it in it's entirety on a future tour. I mean, it's a beautiful conceptual piece. Very vivid and layered. Right up there with Mindcrime and Scenes from a Memory in my opinion.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll have very little to say about the next few songs. They're just good songs. :p

19. Final Product

Really good song. The chorus is most likely the best part of the song. Nothing much to say about it really.

18. Sentient 6

Again, the chorus is suitably epic with its heavy riff. Warrel's vocals compliment it well.

17. Moonrise

Great song. One of the better tracks on TOC.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
16. The Psalm of Lydia

Alright, now we're getting into the god tier. The really good stuff as it were. The main riff of this song is where it's at. The flamenco break into the shred solo halfway through the song is an awesome change of pace that I really enjoy. Like any Nevermore song with shred guitar (read: 99% of them), I love it dearly.

15. The Politics of Ecstasy

This song wastes no time in shoving the political message down your throat, and then pounds it in with a heavy dissonant riff that hits like the fist of an angry god. This is another one of those songs that just begs to be headbanged to. Then, the gear completely shifts. The bass leads in an odd-time riff that brings forth Nevermore's progressive elements loud and clear. As always, the riffs are soul-crushingly heavy, and the solos are fantastic.

14. Seed Awakening

Get ready to see a lot of Enemies of Reality. I'll waste no time in saying it's without a doubt my favorite Nevermore album. This song just hits you like a bullet. Wrapping up what I believe is a loose concept album, it has no choice but to end the album on a high note. It does this very well. The guitar melody playing over Warrel's shouts of "WITNESS SEED AWAKENING" is a nice touch. Loomis' sweep picking lesson is always much appreciated.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
So, I listened to TGE. Brutal riffery. Nice chunk. But I can't dig the dudes voice. But when he was screaming/growling/sorta black metally shit over a reall slow heavy riff. That was :metal but I can't see myself getting into these guys.

Oh, and while Jeff Loomis is talented, mindless shredding will always suck.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
So, I listened to TGE. Brutal riffery. Nice chunk. But I can't dig the dudes voice. But when he was screaming/growling/sorta black metally shit over a reall slow heavy riff. That was :metal but I can't see myself getting into these guys.

Oh, and while Jeff Loomis is talented, mindless shredding will always suck.
Get the fuck out.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
"Mindless" is probably the last thing I'd call Loomis' shredding. By most metal standards he does it really damn tastefully.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
13. Inside Four Walls

This song hits you square in the chest right away with it's constant pounding beat and pummeling riffs. The political message is once again extremely prominent, describing the flaws of the U.S. prison system. The chorus is once again the highlight of the song, with the guitar solo not far behind.

12. Enemies of Reality

My god, this song. This is one of those intro songs that absolutely sets the mood perfectly for the rest of the album. The crushing, thrash riffs absolutely destroy. Warrel's vocals are suitably darker than normal, aside from the chorus where he lets his soaring voice take over atop the familiar chords. Flawless. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Both of those songs would definitely be in my top 10.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.