Author Topic: Wolfking's Nevermore top 25 v. Now this is just getting silly  (Read 14787 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Wolfking's Nevermore top 25 v. Now this is just getting silly
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
Okay, okay. I know that this forum only has a very limited number of Nevermore fans. But I figure that since there is this fad sweeping the forum, that I'd jump onto the bandwagon as well. I'll be doing two songs at a time for the next week or so (should take 10 days, but I doubt I'll be doing it EVERY day).

Now for those who aren't all that aware of the Nevermore, or are aware but don't know the band very well, they are one of my all time favourite metal bands. The band itself is comprised of many different styles from all over the metal spectrum. This includes thrash, death, progressive, power and melodic. Warrel Dane's vocal style is often bothersome by many, but if you ask me he is one of the best vocalists in metal today.

But I digress

Without further ado, the 20 & 19.

20. The Death of Passion

TDoP is the third track off of Nevermore's third album, Dreaming Neon Black. This song displays a multitude of elements that make up what I love about Nevermore. Fast paced riffing, wide range of vocals from Mr. Warrel Dane (a mix of lower tone singing and some higher, almost falsetto-esque vocals) and a rather interesting instrumental/solo section. But, the reason this one remains at the lowest of my list is due to well...they have better. Yes, the riffs are :metal and the vocals are god damn cool, but for Nevermore, this song is almost just standard for them. Yes, I enjoy it very much, but they have much better and more interesting/definitive tracks compared to The Death of Passion.

19. Poison Godmachine

Just like TDoP, this song is full of what I love about Nevermore. Though, the riffs in between vocals for Poison Godmachine, I find, are much more intense and interesting. It's also one of the tracks I find much more enjoyable from Dreaming Neon Black. Actually, the first 4 songs in this top 20 are going to be from DNB. Primarily because it's my least favourite album of theirs next to Enemies of Reality, and there are really only select tracks from DNB that I thoroughly enjoy as stand alone tracks. A lot of it has to do with Nevermore's other material being a lot more interesting and :metal, instead of just being plain old :metal.

One other note about this song - Around the 4 minute mark, Warrel lets off this howl like high note, that I just absolutely love. His range is absolutely fantastic, and he really shows it in this song.

Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:39:09 PM by lateralus88 »
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lateralus's Nevermore Top 20
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 05:00:25 AM »
DNB is an amazing album!!  :tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:07:03 AM »
I will follow this. Maybe I can get into these dudes.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:24:12 AM »
Sweet, i'm a big Nevermore fan. Looking forward to this one.

TGE is the best straight metal album i've ever heard. Fucking incredible music.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:30:54 PM »
River Dragon had best be first, and Narcosynthesis had better be somewhere on that list as well. I have faith that I'll readily agree with this list for whatever reason.  :justjen
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 03:49:17 PM »
A lot of their stuff sounds pretty samey to me, but they definitely don't suck. River Dragon is an amazing song. I'll follow this.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
I'll follow this too. :metardica:
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »
I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into 'The Obsidian Conspiracy'. All their albums I can get into, but this one just sounds tired to my ears.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
18. Forever

It's a bit of an odd choice, but I actually very much enjoy this song. It's just so...infinitely sad. The music itself is very soft, dark and melancholic and Warrel's vocals sound full of despair and sadness. The man knows how to put such a powerful emotion into his music. I find it to be a fantastic closer to this album as well. It really gives a sense of the "concept" being both completed, but at the same time it feels a tad unfinished, much like a Paul Thomas Anderson film.

17. Beyond Within

With such a balls heavy riff to open up DNB, this song already proves it's worth. I think out of the entire album, Warrel gives off his best vocal performance on Beyond Within. In terms of vocal delivery and lyric delivery. I don't have all that much else to say about this song, but damn is it good. 
:metal

Side note - That's actually the last you will see of Dreaming Neon Black. It's a good album, but since the rest of their material kicks its royal ass, it really doesn't hold up anywhere else in a top 20.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:03:12 PM by lateralus88 »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »
Also a big Nevermore fan here, and following. :tup
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 12:02:54 AM »
the first 4 songs in this top 20 are going to be from DNB. Primarily because it's my least favourite album of theirs next to Enemies of Reality

No.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 12:03:44 AM »
The only Nevermore I have is The Obsidian Conspiracy, and it definitely makes me wanna get more. I will follow this thread.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 01:47:04 AM »
the first 4 songs in this top 20 are going to be from DNB. Primarily because it's my least favourite album of theirs next to Enemies of Reality

No.
Maybe production has a lot to do with it, but to me it's their least interesting album. It leaves me with a lot to be desired.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 06:08:53 AM »
The only Nevermore I have is The Obsidian Conspiracy, and it definitely makes me wanna get more. I will follow this thread.

I think TOC is a weak album for the most part.

Make sure you get This Godless Endeavor.

Absolutely essential album.
Currently listening to:

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 06:17:25 AM »
Anyone that claims to be a metal fan needs to hear Nevermore.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »
16. Ambivalent

The first thing I have to say about this song is...the riffs. So much engie. So powah. Jeff Loomis's guitar work is god damn brutal on this song at times, and there are a few odd riffs thrown in there that I really like. The song mostly showcases the brutality that Nevermore can achieve when they write a song that feels more guitar heavy than anything else. Much like a few other moments on Enemies of Reality, I feel that Warrel's vocals aren't completely at the top of his game, but they are good nonetheless. It might just be the shitty production value of the original version of this album, but his vocals sound a bit off at times. Also the chorus is just alright, seeing how it has to live up to several other Nevermore songs that have godly chorus sections.

15. Your Poison Throne

RISE. RISE. RISE. is the first thing this song throws at you as the guitar starts pounding against your ears. And hell, it sounds cool. Though I have to say, this is definitely not Nevermore's high point lyrically. It's good, but could be better (i.e. all of This Godless Endeavor). But now the good parts of the song. Heavy riffs, nice "slower" guitar solo section from Mr. Loomis and Warrel's vocals sound superb and much more refined than normal. This song is also one of those Nevermore songs that I just find...hard to resist. It's just so...good and extremely accessible.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 05:13:03 PM »
"Your Poison Throne" is awesome!  :metal

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 08:20:20 AM »

No.
Maybe production has a lot to do with it, but to me it's their least interesting album. It leaves me with a lot to be desired.

Please tell me you have the Sneap remix/remaster of the release...
Or are you referring to DNB? In which case...wtf?
I've never heard a badly produced Kernon record...from any artist.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »

No.

Please tell me you have the Sneap remix/remaster of the release...
Or are you referring to DNB? In which case...wtf?
I've never heard a badly produced Kernon record...from any artist.
I do not have the Sneap remix, but I am very much aware of it's existence and plan on getting ahold of it as soon as possible. And I'm not saying that DNB is necessarily badly produced, but the production hinders some of the experience for me. I still very much enjoy the album, as I do with all of Nevermore's work, but it's just my least favourite.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 10:15:24 PM »
14. Final Product

Yes, yes. It's a single. But one fucking hell of a single. It's got some really cool subject matter lyrically, awesome riffs and verses. Warrel also has one really distinct vocal section that I absolutely love (see "There are those that believe the world is ending again").

13. We Disintegrate

Awesome riffs, Warrel Dane high notes and an awesomely melancholic sounding chorus. This is in general just a very solid Nevermore song. The solos are good, and is just overall :metal. And those fucking high notes man. So god damn good.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 05:39:41 AM »
TOC has some good moments, but I just can't get over how 'stock Nevermore' it sounds. I feel there's not enough good songs, the riffs sound too familiar, and above all: the vocal melodies just aren't that musically pleasing, and Warrel always times too early. 'And the maiden spoke' is a standout though, but the title track can't hold a candle to previous title tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 05:40:57 AM »
14. Final Product

Yes, yes. It's a single. But one fucking hell of a single. It's got some really cool subject matter lyrically, awesome riffs and verses. Warrel also has one really distinct vocal section that I absolutely love (see "There are those that believe the world is ending again").

13. We Disintegrate

Awesome riffs, Warrel Dane high notes and an awesomely melancholic sounding chorus. This is in general just a very solid Nevermore song. The solos are good, and is just overall :metal. And those fucking high notes man. So god damn good.

14.  One of their best songs.

13.  Underrated tracks.

TOB = Very disappointing.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
I actually very much enjoy The Obsidian Conspiracy. It's overall a very solid album. I mean, it's nothing compared to This Godless Endeavor, but it's overall very good if you ask me. To each his own, but I hated it at first and it's really grown on me since the release.

Anyway...

12. Moonrise (through Mirrors of Death)

I can see this being a slightly controversial choice, putting a song from ToC so high up on my top 20. But what can I say, I really, really enjoy this song. Warrel has some interesting vocals, especially the way he says "and now your dead". I love it. And the riffs are so damn cool. Yes, I actually would pick this song over Final Product and Ambivalent. Suck it.

11. Narcosynthesis

I have this feeling that Ultimetalhead is going to want to crucify me for the placement of this song. This is the part of the list where each song is within "I absolutely fucking love this song" territory. It actually starts here, at 11. But, obviously, I love the next 10 songs a little more than the last. But this song is so god damn :2metal: it's not even funny. But yes, the reason this song is placed at 11 is primarily because well...there are 10 other songs I find better or just more enjoyable. I also should mention how much I love the riffs in this song. If Mr. Loomis really shows us how he can beat someones face in with just a simple guitar riff, it's with Narcosynthesis's main riff.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:38:12 PM by lateralus88 »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »
Well, Narcosynthesis is quite easily top 5. First thing I disagree with massively.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
11.5. I, Voyager

Forgive me for being a little prick and adding in a ".5", but after reviewing my list I realized I had forgotten about this song and there really isn't any other way I want to change my list, really. I love I, Voyager. It's a fucking sweet song. The chorus and lyrics are one of the primary reasons I love this song. They are rather...dark and almost creepy in a very "metal" sense. This song in general is just cool in all ways.

10. Sentient 6

One of the things I love about this song is the concept. The song tells the story of a machine (android of some sort) who becomes sentient of it's own existence and the understanding of man kind. It's very science-fictiony, which I'm not always a fan of, but the ideas and concepts this song alone holds are rather cool. I also love the buildup of melancholy that eventually erupts into one fucking hell of a finale. Also Warrel's vocals...something about them...sound almost cold and evil near the end. I love that.

9. Seed Awakening

Nevermore have often come forth in having their own style of sheer brutality. Seed Awakening is easily one of the best examples of this brutality. The riffs are plain old face crushing. Which I love when Nevermore does something like this, because when they bring forth brutality, they fucking bring it. This is often one of the songs I love to turn to when I want something very brutal, but at the same time, melodic (the chorus) and thought provoking (lyrics). It has it all.  "There is no stronger drug than reality"
 :metal

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »
Well, Narcosynthesis is quite easily top 5. First thing I disagree with massively.

Agreed. Narcosynthesis might be my favorite. It has it all: Nasty riffing. Great lyrics and melody lines. The harmonies are classic. The bridge is the greatest thing ever.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 05:06:27 PM »

Agreed. Narcosynthesis might be my favorite. It has it all: Nasty riffing. Great lyrics and melody lines. The harmonies are classic. The bridge is the greatest thing ever.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 07:06:03 PM »
A Future Uncertain and This Godless Endeavor FTW  :metal

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 06:32:13 AM »
Hoping to see Born, My Acid Words and This Godless Endeavor ALL in the Top 5.  :metal
Currently listening to:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 06:37:32 AM »
Hoping to see Born and This Godless Endeavor in the Top 5.  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 06:57:02 PM »
My problem with Nevermore is that although the riffage is really cool, nothing else grabs me and I get bored. That being said, when this list is through I'm gonna listen to them all I see if anything sticks.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 07:35:29 PM »
I bought their entire discography and sat on it for a good 6 months before I "got" Nevermore. I'd listen through and it just kinda went in one ear and out the other. Like most artists, there is a time and place for their sound to really grab hold of me. Then album by album, it usually creeps in their a bit at a time. I think what first hooked me was the balance of the melodic and brutal. And the grooves. For God's sake, the motherfuckin' grooves make me wanna scream.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »
8. The River Dragon Has Come

No top Nevermore list is complete without River Dragon. This song is pure progressive metal mayhem. The second that first heavy riff kicks in after the soft interlude, my head begins banging and I feel nothing but pure energy (see "So engie. So powah"). The main riff is brutal, the solos are awesome, and the parts of the song where the pace really picks up are priceless. Also almost all songs where Warrel hits one of his famous high notes is worth mentioning. This song being no exception. Near the very end of the song, Warrel let's off a squeal-like high note when singing "Technology the beast, The seventh crown", and it gives me shivers down my spine every god damn time.

7. The Psalm of Lydia

This song has easily one of my all time favourite Nevermore riffs. The main riff is absolutely fantastic. It's one of the main reasons I find myself listening to this song constantly when looking for something by Nevermore to listen to. Another notable element I love about this song is the way Warrel delivers his vocals during the verses. They just sound...awesomely badass. Also the smooth transition between guitar solos back to the main riff near the last 1/4 of the song = :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 07:04:57 PM »
2 songs right there that do deserve to be in the top 10 IMO.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 09:47:55 PM »
I'm a tad too exhausted to actually type up explanations for my next two choices. But I'll give you something very brief.

6. Dead Heart in a Dead World

I love the chorus to this song. It's so damn...catchy. And that doesn't even distract from the rest of the song. Overall, it's just...bad fucking ass.

5. Evolution 169   

Awesome chorus, sweet riffs and lyrically it's one of my favourites. This also is the first Nevermore song I ever heard, and holds a special little place in my heart. Such a damn good track.