Author Topic: Loudness War  (Read 19857 times)

Offline OperantChamber

Loudness War
« on: August 05, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »
Saw a couple of people talking about this in the DT forum. Discuss the loudness war!

https://thenumberoftheblog.com/2010/08/05/fucking-loud-and-fucking-clipped-metal-albums/

The Audacity Beta lets you see the clipping in the music waveform: https://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
Been having fun with it, but it's sad to see with some albums.
Train of Thought looks great though.  ;D

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Loudness War
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:39:31 PM »
I personally don't have problems with modern metal albums being a little loud and compressed. In my opinion, that compressed sound fits the music. Metallica's 'Death Magnetic' is taking it way too far though. The recording isn't that great, and it sounds like the mixing guy just took a pretty lame mix and just brickwalled it to make it sound 'heavy'. If you want to go heavy with compression, then do it the Chris (or Tom) Lord-Alge way. He mixes Green Day, Sevendust, MCR and a lot of modern rock/metal bands, and the sound is always great.

Another comparison: Muse's Absolution vs. The Resistance. Absolution sounds pretty good, but it is mastered so loud that the compression just takes the life out of the music at times. The Resistance is probably just as loud, if not louder. But the mix is crystal clear! Same with 10,000 Days, it's clipping like mad, but somehow it doesn't do any harm to the music at all.

Rule with hard rock/metal: Get it as loud as you possibly can without sacrificing the sound quality. That shouldn't be so difficult now would it?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:47:52 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »
^^^ Nailed it.

Most people wouldn't even hear the difference unless it's done badly (Death Magnetic) or used for effect (bass drops in The New Black).

There is however the matter of remasters. I did a blind comparison of original pressing Somewhere in Time and the 1998 remaster. Original sounds so much nicer to me, but then I'm the type of person that can pick out the drummer's chewing gum noise in a metal record so maybe that doesn't actually matter... :lol
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:59:19 PM »
^^^ Nailed it.

Most people wouldn't even hear the difference unless it's done badly (Death Magnetic) or used for effect (bass drops in The New Black).

There is however the matter of remasters. I did a blind comparison of original pressing Somewhere in Time and the 1998 remaster. Original sounds so much nicer to me, but then I'm the type of person that can pick out the drummer's chewing gum noise in a metal record so maybe that doesn't actually matter... :lol

Indeed, remasters are usually not worth the trouble to buy anyway if you have the original, unless it's also a remix.

For example, the original master of Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' sounds a lot better and breathes a lot more than the remaster or the songs that ended up on 'So Real', his greatest hits album. The only cool thing about that greatest hits album is the liner notes, with musicians making statements about Buckley. I believe even Opeth's Peter Lindgren is in it!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
Doesn't bother me at all.  I don't notice it at all unless I do a side by side comparison.  Gotta have a frame of reference.  If I listen to part of the original Death Magnetic and then the same part of one of the [unofficial] remasters, I certainly hear a big difference, but couldn't identify anything in particular that's different.  I tend to hear music, not waveforms.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 11:25:04 PM »
Here's a great video regarding Maiden's discography and the loudness war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMNJEC1G-fE
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:47:20 AM »
PixelDream summed up my thoughts perfectly. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 02:07:13 AM »
If you need audacity to notice if something is clipping, then it's not a big deal.

When I'm walking around listening to my Ipod, and have to drastically turn down my volume when any Death Magnetic song or Faceless (godsmack) song come on, then that's an obvious problem.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 05:11:21 AM »

I don't know what to make of this video, because honestly, none of those albums are close to what I'd call overproduced.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 05:15:56 AM »

I don't know what to make of this video, because honestly, none of those albums are close to what I'd call overproduced.

I think it's just showing you the way the loudness levels have overall increased over the years.

The only Maiden album I would call over compressed is Dance of Death, shit sounding record.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 05:25:25 AM »
Call me crazy, but I still think Dance of Death sounds better than Seventh Son-FotD. Those albums aren't too loud; they just sound really bland and lifeless. But yeah, I can definitely see how DoD is still a bottom tier sounding record for Maiden.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 05:48:58 AM »
If you need audacity to notice if something is clipping, then it's not a big deal.

When I'm walking around listening to my Ipod, and have to drastically turn down my volume when any Death Magnetic song or Faceless (godsmack) song come on, then that's an obvious problem.

This.  Very annoying.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 06:33:45 AM »
Call me crazy, but I still think Dance of Death sounds better than Seventh Son-FotD. Those albums aren't too loud; they just sound really bland and lifeless. But yeah, I can definitely see how DoD is still a bottom tier sounding record for Maiden.

Again, that's the remastering making them sound bland and lifeless. Go listen to an original pressing of the CD version of any of the Maiden albums that got remastered and you'll not think that it sounds bland and lifeless.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 07:35:02 AM »

Oh DM isn't that bad.

Like they say. If its too loud, you're too old.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 07:46:56 AM »

Oh DM isn't that bad.

Like they say. If its too loud, you're too old.

This is a bit different. There's playing something at a high volume (which is the correct way :metal) and there's the loudness war. Something can only go so loud by itself on a CD or digital audio file before it just squashes itself and turns to mush.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 07:50:28 AM »
I never really noticed it on DM till it was pointed out.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 08:11:28 AM »
Too old for Death Magnetic? haha

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 08:26:07 AM »
DM didn't display the loudness war problem at it's worst at all, DM just exposed it to a much wider audience and more people became aware of it and the issue started getting recognition on a larger scale.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 08:37:07 AM »
DM didn't display the loudness war problem at it's worst at all, DM just exposed it to a much wider audience and more people became aware of it and the issue started getting recognition on a larger scale.

It still made me not able to listen to it all the way through. I think my least favourite case is when my mum had the Fratellis debut album on in the car. The compression pumped it so badly it actually gave me a headache.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 09:44:33 AM »
Too old for Death Magnetic? haha

Oh you...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 10:10:38 AM »
The Loudness War thing has become a bit of a pseudo-intellectual topic these days TBH.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:23 AM »
The Loudness War thing has become a bit of a pseudo-intellectual topic these days TBH.

rumborak

Yup, the in thing now is spotting tuned vocals! :D

Seriously though, don't get into music production/engineering. It ruins everything.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »

To be clear, it's not a big deal to me. I just wanted to see what some of you guys had to say.

Offline TL

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 11:56:37 AM »
I never really noticed it on DM till it was pointed out.
Really?
I noticed it almost immediately. It makes the record almost painful to listen to.

Obviously there are degrees of overcompression, and on the lower end of the scale, it's not really noticeable. The problem comes with overcompression makes the song noticeably flat in volume, lifeless in production, and when it produces obvious clipping. It can ruin an otherwise good song. On the bad end of the scale, I don't know how it doesn't bother some people.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 04:21:01 PM »

Again, that's the remastering making them sound bland and lifeless. Go listen to an original pressing of the CD version of any of the Maiden albums that got remastered and you'll not think that it sounds bland and lifeless.

Huh?

I think all the other remasters sound great!

???

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »
The loudness never bothered me but the lack of separation in instruments is my beef.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TL

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »
The loudness never bothered me but the lack of separation in instruments is my beef.
Yes. This is a pretty common symptom of overcomperssion.

I think the term 'loudness' war can be misleading. Most people don't actually have a problem with the volume being high, but rather that getting the volume that high through compression causes other problems.

Online Adami

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 04:44:46 PM »

To be clear, it's not a big deal to me. I just wanted to see what some of you guys had to say.

Oh that wasn't aimed at you. I have seen people in the past who got all riled up about clipping...but only when they noticed it in audacity. Meaning had they never looked at the Wav file, they wouldn't have had a problem. Those people bug me. If you can't hear the problem, then there's no problem for you. (you being anyone, not you specifically).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »
 :lol
I guess I was being overly sensitive. Anyway, I agree.

Offline TL

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »
I know it wasn't aimed at me, but I only take issue with it if it's noticeable just from listening to it.

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »
I know it wasn't aimed at me, but I only take issue with it if it's noticeable just from listening to it.

Good....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 03:31:56 AM »
Only at a very extreme level, which is pretty rare. Even on DM the instruments are all fairly clearly recognisable. That's more commonly a problem with mixing, nothing to do with compression.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 07:30:09 AM »
Huh?

???

They don't sound entirely bad, there's much worse remasters that have been done, but I listen to them and can hear that they sounded much nicer and more lively and breathed more before they remastered it. I made the mistake of buying an original pressing CD and after listening to it I had to get the entire discography again :lol Before that though, I was reasonably happy with their sound.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 08:51:59 AM »
Only at a very extreme level, which is pretty rare. Even on DM the instruments are all fairly clearly recognisable. That's more commonly a problem with mixing, nothing to do with compression.

Yeah, this. The problem is that the instruments' frequency ranges overlap, and that has nothing to do with compression.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 09:00:25 AM »
Huh?

???

They don't sound entirely bad, there's much worse remasters that have been done, but I listen to them and can hear that they sounded much nicer and more lively and breathed more before they remastered it. I made the mistake of buying an original pressing CD and after listening to it I had to get the entire discography again :lol Before that though, I was reasonably happy with their sound.

Yea, but if you put the remasters together, it makes a picture of Eddie....