Author Topic: Something I realized about Queensryche  (Read 3132 times)

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
Something I realized about Queensryche
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »
Now, let me begin by saying that I love Queensryche's music.  I don't own every album, but I have all the favorites.... The Warning, Rage for Order, Mindcrime, Empire .... and even Tribe and Mindcrime II. 

As the band has stated, they wrote Mindcrime sort of in response to the greed and capitalism of the 80's.  Well, I was just thinking about how a few years ago, I went to their website to have a look at their forum and being completely baffled that you couldn't get INTO their forum unless you were a member of their fan club.  Now, Queensryche can do whatever the hell they want to do.  I have no problem with that.  But, I find it a little funny that a band that wrote something like Mindcrime - for the reasons they did - make you pay just to see their forum. 

Just an observation.  Any thoughts?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Something I realized about Queensryche
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
*awaits Samsara*

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:01:20 PM »
*awaits Bosk*

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:02:30 PM »
Why?  I didn't break any rules.  I was just making a discussion I thought would be interesting....
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »
Why?  I didn't break any rules.  I was just making a discussion I thought would be interesting....
Wrong forum nub :)

EDIT:  This is like Metallica getting their start by distributing there music as much as they could for free, but then suing people for pirating music later.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »
Oh, okay.  I figured it wasn't really "music" related, but more general. 

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
Oh, okay.  I figured it wasn't really "music" related, but more general. 
Also, I edited my post to give an actual response.  :tup
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 09:14:16 PM »
No, I would say that this is the right spot.  I was just thinking that Bosk is a big Queensryche fan and would probably have a decent opinion on this.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 09:16:12 PM »
Why?  I didn't break any rules.  I was just making a discussion I thought would be interesting....

I don't think that they meant you were breaking rules, just bosk and Sam seem to be QR experts around here.

Anywho, that's what happens when political stances are fueled by temporary feelings like anger and frustration, rather than actual learning. In short, QR were angry young men. They're not angry any more.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 09:16:36 PM »
Why?  I didn't break any rules.  I was just making a discussion I thought would be interesting....
Wrong forum nub :)

EDIT:  This is like Metallica getting their start by distributing there music as much as they could for free, but then suing people for pirating music later.

This is the first post of yours that I agree with.  Well done.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 09:19:11 PM »
Interesting on both points (the Metallica comparison and the angry young men comment).  However, when they came out with Mindcrime II, it seemed like they pretty much still believe what they believed back then.  I remember Geoff Tate saying something like, "the time was right for Mindcrime II because history was repeating itself" or something along those lines.  

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 09:54:13 PM »
Queensryche is a sad train-wreck these days. It doesn't surprise me that they'd shit all over whatever ideals they had at one time to now make a quick buck. I'm just gonna listen to my EP-Promised Land catalog and make pretend everything that has happened '97 onward is all just a bad dream.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 10:17:28 PM »
Interesting on both points (the Metallica comparison and the angry young men comment).  However, when they came out with Mindcrime II, it seemed like they pretty much still believe what they believed back then.  I remember Geoff Tate saying something like, "the time was right for Mindcrime II because history was repeating itself" or something along those lines.  
I wouldn't know, since I haven't even listen to Mindcrime II more than once.

My observation about the first Mindcrime, though, is that it's mostly a tragic love story. There's stuff in there about the government being fascist and so-on, but that's a pretty common sci-fi trope. In reality, how many songs actually deal with politics, other than for the sake of building up the setting?

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 10:45:23 PM »
Well, I don't think Tate was referring to the story, itself, with the comment, but rather that the political climate in 2006 was similar to that of the 1980's, which inspired him to want to do a sequel. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »
The band underwent a lot of changes, both as a band and in terms of management once Susan Tate took over management of the band.  I don't know that making the site a "pay" site was her idea, but I suspect it was.  This happened right around the release of Q2K as I recall.  It was a free forum before that.  A lot of things changes pretty drastically during the late '90s and early 2000s, and SE, I think you are right to pick up on the irony of a lot of it.

As far as OMII, Tate saying he revisited it "because history was repeating itself" rings hollow.  He has said a lot about that album, much of it revisionist history to try to hide the fact that it was done because QR is a sinking ship and they were looking for a way to try to be relevant and grab some quick cash.  That's my 50-words-or-less version.  I'll leave it to Samsara to chime in the details.

(and, yeah, this should be in GMD)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »
Bosk..50 words or less

Samsara...50,000 words or less!

Screw the Queensryche forum. Sam's site is all you need.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
It really does amaze me how a band and go so down hill.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »
Musical ironies thread?

A message to the oreo cookie...no matter how much you try to switch, here's what they think about you.

*insert a slew of racial slanders*

Think about it, fucking sellout.

-Ice Cube - Turn off the Radio