Author Topic: 10 most important bands in the history of Rock music  (Read 12683 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 10 most important bands in the history of Rock music
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
I realize that it's not most popular.  But you can't be influential if no one knows who you are.  I think Yes's sphere of influence is a lot narrower than those others.

But, whatever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2010, 01:18:46 AM »
Beatles
Zeppelin
Sabbath
Dylan
Sex Pistols
Metallica

To this, I'll add Stones, Hendrix, Floyd and Queen, I think.

Look, EVERYBODY knows who the Beatles and Stones are, and most know who Led Zeppelin are.  Yes is not in the same league as those 3 (or 4, if you wanted to include The Who).
The reason I haven't even considered the Who is because I barely know a thing about them. I know they made Tommy and Quadrophenia, but I don't know a single song on either album (as far as I know). The only songs of theirs I can name at all are My Generation and Pinball Wizard.

In fact, I'd argue in place of Perpetual Change that if there was any major rock band whose reputation has dwindled the most in recent decades, it would be the Who and not the Stones. I know plenty of people into classic rock, and can only think of one guy who listens to the Who. And on that note, no-one who listens to The Byrds.

I'm quite surprised to have not seen the Grateful Dead or the Eagles on anyone's list (though I only skimmed the thread).

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2010, 01:25:10 AM »
Wow, Sex Pistols? Before the actual bands who directly inspired/influenced them - eg Neu!?

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Can
Jimi Hendrix
Neu!

I think these artists can claim to have a wider range of influence on the subsequent decades after them than any other.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2010, 01:26:15 AM »
Look, EVERYBODY knows who the Beatles and Stones are, and most know who Led Zeppelin are.  Yes is not in the same league as those 3 (or 4, if you wanted to include The Who).
The reason I haven't even considered the Who is because I barely know a thing about them. I know they made Tommy and Quadrophenia, but I don't know a single song on either album (as far as I know). The only songs of theirs I can name at all are My Generation and Pinball Wizard.

Pinball Wizard is from Tommy.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2010, 01:53:58 AM »
And on that note, no-one who listens to The Byrds.

I'm quite surprised to have not seen the Grateful Dead or the Eagles on anyone's list (though I only skimmed the thread).

That's because those bands did jack shit to further rock music aside maybe The Dead to influence some hippy jam bands like Phish and the Disco Biscuits. I have no problem with The Byrds (though they were unfairly billed as America's answer to The Beatles) or The Eagles (whom I like a lot of their material) but they aren't even close to being one of the 10 most important bands in rock music by far.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2010, 05:09:13 AM »
And on that note, no-one who listens to The Byrds.

That's because those bands did jack shit to further rock music aside maybe The Dead to influence some hippy jam bands like Phish and the Disco Biscuits. I have no problem with The Byrds (though they were unfairly billed as America's answer to The Beatles) or The Eagles (whom I like a lot of their material) but they aren't even close to being one of the 10 most important bands in rock music by far.
I think the Grateful Dead have a better claim.  They basically invented a whole genre of rock music (jam), which is a pretty big scene right now.

Not saying they DEFINITELY deserve it, but they MORE deserve it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »
Why aren't more people mentioning Radiohead?

Bands only:

The Beatles - rock as we know it wouldn't exist without them.
Led Zeppelin - heavy rock wouldn't exist without their influence.
Radiohead - changed the way rock could do experimental music, managed to blend so much into their music and pretty much every decent rock band since has been inspired by them in some way, from Coldplay to Sigur Ros.
Nirvana - killed the dominance of solos and glam, metal. made people who previously thought they weren't talented enough to be musicians go for their dream. proved that skill is no substitute for being able to write really good songs.
Metallica - brought heavy metal into the mainstream for the masses, also the definitive thrash band.
Black Sabbath - created heavy metal.
Pink Floyd - the most influential prog band of all time.
Jimi Hendrix - made the guitar an instrument that could do almost anything.
The Sex Pistols - punk.
Cream - the influence on rock since them is undeniable.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »
Wow, orcus' write-up is right on the money!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2010, 12:15:46 PM »
Why aren't more people mentioning Radiohead?

Radiohead - changed the way rock could do experimental music, managed to blend so much into their music and pretty much every decent rock band since has been inspired by them in some way, from Coldplay to Sigur Ros.
 eniable.

To answer your question, because while awesome in every way and very influential, they simply are not one of the 10 most important rock bands of all-time, and I think most people would agree with that, even most of their fans. 

Out of curiosity, how would you say they changed the way rock could do experimental music?  I hope you are not gonna saying incorporating electronic elements into their sound, because that had been done already before they did it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2010, 01:39:14 PM »
Black Sabbath - created heavy metal.

Couldn't disagree more. I find that the creation of heavy metal was a team effort from many bands in the 60s. Sabbath just popularized it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2010, 01:49:51 PM »
A big  :tup to everyone who liked my list.

Regarding Radiohead I definitely think it'll be awhile to see if they had any actual influence because at the moment they're just a really popular band. Any influence they've had is reflected mainly on themselves at this point. A lot of what Kev said holds true.