Author Topic: Why won't my computer play the bonus tracks?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline bertoltus

• Reign on, you crazy tyrant!
Why won't my computer play the bonus tracks?
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:18:15 PM »
Today my copies of Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream arrived. There were DVDs included in both of them, which featured a 5.1 mix and some bonus tracks. There was also a stereo mix of the regular album on each DVD.

So far, so good. Now I want to play the bonus tracks on the virtual DVD player on my computer, but the LBS DVD just won't make a sound when I select a track and SD won't even go past the "Extras"-Screen. The other stuff on the DVD gets played without any problems.

My theory is that this could be connected with the fact that the bonus tracks are only available as a 5.1 mix, while every output device I own only uses regular stereo. Nothing different happens when I change the main audio settings of the DVD.

Oh, and I tried it with the Watershed DVD and it played the bonus tracks flawlessly.
Did anyone ever have this problem or knows a solution? My operating System is Mac OS X 10.5.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Why won't my computer play the bonus tracks?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:27:48 PM »
The LBS extras are ONLY avaliable in 5.1 on the DVD-A. So, unless you are hooked up to a 5.1 system, you won't be able to hear the bonus tracks.

EDIT - Pretty sure its the same with Stupid Dream. Check the packaging, as I'm pretty sure it says on there that the extra content isn't available in a stereo mix on the DVD.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
Re: Why won't my computer play the bonus tracks?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »
Even though you can't listen to the bonus tracks from the dvd, there's still a way to save those tracks to your hard drive (It'll be mixed in surround format but at least you'll be able to listen). All you need is a piece of dvd-decrypting software and VLC Media Player.

Firstly you need to decrypt the dvd to my HD, then find the specific files that contain the bonus tracks (you'll recognize the songs listed in the menu) , then choose to convert in VLC's menu and presto. You can convert to WAV-files and split them in any audio-editing software (e.g. Audacity).

Not sure if you want to try this but I thought I'd write it down in case you're really bonus-track-hungry.

Bon appetit. :smiley:

Edit: completely forgot you were using Mac, not sure that'll work then.

I apologize for this.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:00:07 PM by Vahvahenki »