Author Topic: Frontmen of DTF  (Read 12581 times)

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
Re: Frontmen (Survey)
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 07:34:27 AM »
He just...doesn't. Yeah he performs well but I wouldn't call him a charismatic frontman at all, he's more of a "I'm only talking cause I kinda have to, I'd rather just be getting on with playing the songs" frontman, which is fine too. I also don't see why the eye contact thing is particularly important. Yeah he looked in my direction when I saw them live but pretty much every band I've ever seen has done that. Unless it's a really, really intimate venue then that doesn't make a difference really I don't think.

Great frontmen should be totally at ease talking to the crowd and should own the stage. PT own the stage but Wilson doesn't own it on his own.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline robwebster

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 07:34:51 AM »
Devin Townsend.

Even though I'm sure most posts will just repeat a bunch since no one will read every post, I'll just add instead of repeating.
He needs repeats. He said "the most mentioned." If nobody repeated then it'd just be a big list.

James LaBrie, Matt Bellamy, Hansi Kursch, Jem Godfrey (!).

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 07:36:58 AM »

Matt Bellamy

too much of a cocky bastard for me.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 07:37:38 AM »
James LaBrie

Really?

@bodiesinflight: Matt Bellamy is awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 07:40:12 AM »

Matt Bellamy

Cockiness is what makes most front men great, even if it just an act onstage.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 07:45:05 AM »
James LaBrie

Really?
Yeah, 'fraid so! Love the guy. He's got a slightly bizarre stage presence, but it's the one that I've grown to compare all other frontmen to. For myself, I'm more or less obliged to put him up there. Horrendously biased, but hey! Open survey.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 07:59:08 AM »
why hasn't anyone mentioned Layne Staley yet?
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2010, 08:02:14 AM »
Layne Staley.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »

Matt Bellamy

Not when it gets to the extent that they cannot be bothered to play the piano parts to some of their own songs because they're too busy strutting around the stage and trying to make everyone forget that there's actually other people in the band as well  ;)
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 08:10:53 AM »
He just...doesn't. Yeah he performs well but I wouldn't call him a charismatic frontman at all, he's more of a "I'm only talking cause I kinda have to, I'd rather just be getting on with playing the songs" frontman, which is fine too. I also don't see why the eye contact thing is particularly important. Yeah he looked in my direction when I saw them live but pretty much every band I've ever seen has done that. Unless it's a really, really intimate venue then that doesn't make a difference really I don't think.

Great frontmen should be totally at ease talking to the crowd and should own the stage. PT own the stage but Wilson doesn't own it on his own.
Actually, not really. He seemed rather loose both times (except that during The Incident he didn't say much but then a) it's understandable, b) he said between The Blind House and Great Expectations that they want to play it with as little interruption as possible), felt really natural and I just really felt he's enjoying it and genuinely likes the audience, which is a great thing. And I didn't mean eye contact, just contact with the audience - the feeling that it's not "the stage" and "the crowd", but both are connected. Many frontmen can't do that so well.

My own suggestion would also be Jonas Renkse for his own, very unique way of being a great frontman (mostly the opposite of what most frontmen do), but I doubt he has any chances here, so...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »

Matt Bellamy

Not when it gets to the extent that they cannot be bothered to play the piano parts to some of their own songs because they're too busy strutting around the stage and trying to make everyone forget that there's actually other people in the band as well  ;)
I'm pretty sure that's not what he's doing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2010, 08:16:11 AM »
David Lee Roth
Ian Anderson
Ian Gillan
Pete Townshend

Between song stage banter is very important for a frontman.  These guys are masters of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »

Matt Bellamy

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2010, 08:22:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's not what he's doing.

OK, I went OTT but it is ridiculous that he can't be bothered to play the intro to New Born anymore!
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 08:43:08 AM »
You are probably not going to get to 50 with that dual instrument requirement, at least favourite frontmen.

It's not a requirement dude, these criteria merely make someone favorable over another, it doesn't rule singers who don't play anything out, hell there are lot of singer/guitarists who suck major ass.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »
Guys let me tell you again; my criteria are not requirements, it's only what I think favors a frontman to another.
Almost half of the people I already have down on the list don't play an instrument.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2010, 09:13:52 AM »
Steve Wilson is a horrible front man. I just saw PT live and while I think he sounds better live than in the studio he looks like a little whiny kid among a group of awesome musicians. This is just my opinion, his guitar playing was spot on and his vocals but his image was just aweful.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »
My experiences of PT live were the exact opposite.

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2010, 09:20:11 AM »
Steve Wilson is a horrible front man. I just saw PT live and while I think he sounds better live than in the studio he looks like a little whiny kid among a group of awesome musicians. This is just my opinion, his guitar playing was spot on and his vocals but his image was just aweful.

Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2010, 09:21:29 AM »
Russell Allen - he's corny as fuck but I love him. I hope to see Symphony X live some day.

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2010, 09:24:07 AM »
Russell Allen - he's corny as fuck but I love him. I hope to see Symphony X live some day.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2010, 09:50:15 AM »
Under those new criteria you really can't include LaBrie at all considering the only thing he does is sing (and barely writes anymore)
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2010, 10:06:20 AM »
Guys let me tell you again; my criteria are not requirements, it's only what I think favors a frontman to another.
Almost half of the people I already have down on the list don't play an instrument.
Under those new criteria you really can't include LaBrie at all considering the only thing he does is sing (and barely writes anymore)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »
This is the survey, let's keep discussions like how bad Steven Wilson is as a frontman to the actual survivor :lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2010, 10:09:35 AM »

-Marc.

Yea but at least the others guys write at least some music and a lot of the lyrics, as well as have amazing stage personas. LaBrie really does none of those things, they call him in after the entire album is finished and he sings (and occasionally writes some lyrics here and there). His stage show is just lulz at best also. see: "FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE ROCK BAND 2 THIS IS ON THERE!"
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »
Let's keep the discussion for later fellas, I need more names, around 10.
btw I remember a lot of good old friend here saying that about LaBrie.. good times.
They're all gone now.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2010, 10:25:49 AM »
Hey when people start to knock on LaBrie's voice I'm the first one there to defend him, as I think he has an amazing voice and he fits DT's music great. But I'm just saying that just because this is DTF doesn't mean that we have to pretend that he is a great frontman or anything, because honestly, he isn't.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »
Billy Joel
Paul Rogers
Bob Marley
Phil Anselmo
Alice Cooper

There, now 5 more please?

BTW, i would have 40 names. Then have 8 rounds of 5, then 4 rounds of 2, then a semis of 2 rounds with 2, then a final 2.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2010, 10:31:18 AM »
Hey when people start to knock on LaBrie's voice I'm the first one there to defend him, as I think he has an amazing voice and he fits DT's music great. But I'm just saying that just because is DTF doesn't mean that we have to pretend that he is a great frontman or anything, because honestly, he isn't.

hahaha you said it brother! *pulls Quadrochosis aside by his sleeve* dude I said that once on the DT discussion board and there's that lady that has her own LaBrie forums and she calmly says scary things to people who critisize LaBrie, I'm still haunted by the memories of that day..

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2010, 10:33:41 AM »
Roy Khan

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2010, 10:35:31 AM »
Roy Khan

That's so strange because I was just thinking that he might be a nice addition to this list. He doesn't play another instrument but he certainly has everything else.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2010, 10:36:37 AM »
Metty, do you like my idea? I think it should be more like a tournement. And setting it up the way I did seems cool

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2010, 10:39:06 AM »
Hey when people start to knock on LaBrie's voice I'm the first one there to defend him, as I think he has an amazing voice and he fits DT's music great. But I'm just saying that just because this is DTF doesn't mean that we have to pretend that he is a great frontman or anything, because honestly, he isn't.
Maybe not a GREAT frontman but very good without doubt. If it's going to be a list of 20 or something, he definitely should be there.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »
F=FRONTMAN

F
F
F---F
F
F
    ----F
F
F
F---F
F
F
         ------F
F
F
F---F
F
F
    ----F
F
F
F---F
F
F
                ---------F WINNER
F
F
F---F                
F
F
    ----F
F
F
F---F
F
F
         ------F
F
F
F---F
F
F
    ----F
F
F
F---F
F
F
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:17:50 PM by 73109 »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2010, 10:56:15 AM »
Billy Joel
Paul Rogers
Bob Marley
Phil Anselmo
Alice Cooper

There, now 5 more please?

BTW, i would have 40 names. Then have 8 rounds of 5, then 4 rounds of 2, then a semis of 2 rounds with 2, then a final 2.

I'm not picking tomatoes dude, I have more than 50 names already but there's a filtration process and I'm trying to exclude solo artists.
And regarding your idea; I'm cool with that, I think it would have been the way to go eventually, but I dunno if everyone else likes it.