Author Topic: The Improv Thread  (Read 3751 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
The Improv Thread
« on: July 31, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »
I figured we could use one of these. In this thread, post videos of yourself; ask questions; and discuss improvising! I also want to encourage everyone to give constructive feedback.

I was gonna kick off the thread with a video I just recorded, but Vimeo says I need to wait 15 more minutes for it to be done. I'm pretty new to it all, but man is it nice when something cool actually comes out! :lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: The Improv Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »
https://www.vimeo.com/13790443

OK, there's the video. I recorded a simple two chord vamp and played a bit over it. I tried to incorporate some out notes and I think that went alright. Something I know I need to work on is my phrasing; I get a bit choppy at points.

Let me know what you think. Be honest.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »
i deffinatly have some issues being creative. as a drummer i know its not as important as keeping a steady and solid beat. but i cant come up with to many different beats..

.. i guess i just need to listen to a bigger variety of music

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:01:05 PM »
https://www.vimeo.com/13790443

OK, there's the video. I recorded a simple two chord vamp and played a bit over it. I tried to incorporate some out notes and I think that went alright. Something I know I need to work on is my phrasing; I get a bit choppy at points.

Let me know what you think. Be honest.

I really liked that, it had a nice jazzy vibe and your playing was really tasteful in every way. The tone was also really good. Also interesting that you use your fingers, I need to do that more. I might put up another jam video in a few days, or we could all pick a backing track to solo over.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them. I like using my fingers when I can; I can control my attack more than I can with a pick and I just like the rounded off sound that's possible.

I just watched the video again and one thing I noticed was that I ALWAYS ended my phrases when I hit that C9 chord. Need to work on playing through it.

The backing track thing sounds like a really good idea; it would be fun. You have one to share?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:33:06 PM »
Ill try and put up an improv video soon.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them. I like using my fingers when I can; I can control my attack more than I can with a pick and I just like the rounded off sound that's possible.

I just watched the video again and one thing I noticed was that I ALWAYS ended my phrases when I hit that C9 chord. Need to work on playing through it.

The backing track thing sounds like a really good idea; it would be fun. You have one to share?

I don't really mind, we could do it over a song or one of the ones people make on Youtube. It should be cool to see everyone's approaches.

And yeah, I'm like that, I've noticed that if I'm stuck as to where to go I'll just do that Freebird/Alive lick until I think of something else. I need to limit myself on it more.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:44:15 AM »
If someone posts a backing track, I'll jump on this as well. There are plenty of backing tracks and chord sequences on youtube.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 06:31:32 PM »

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »
I've never been great at improv, but Volk does a great job with it, especially with Jazz.   ;)

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
Any suggestions? I'd still be up for this.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 09:25:49 PM »
I'm okay with improv. If I'm in the mood. Otherwise I just go crazy with random scales :P

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 09:30:29 PM »
Any suggestions? I'd still be up for this.

Me too, I've just been so busy I haven't had time to look for a bt. You have any to suggest?

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 04:25:19 AM »
Couldn't we just pick on from that site Cozmo posted? Like an Am blues jam track or something?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:36:26 PM »

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 01:44:25 PM »
Yeah sure, I'll try and get a video or recording up in the next few days.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 06:57:16 AM »
Yeh me too. Are we using first attempts only or can we have a few trial runs before we record?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 09:38:30 AM »
Yeh me too. Are we using first attempts only or can we have a few trial runs before we record?

Upload the best take you got. It's not like we'll know either way :lol

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »
I'd feel I cheated if I posted the 900th take after working out exactly what scale to use and when though, this IS the Improv thread! :P

My own personal limit is 5 takes.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 09:59:45 AM »
Well yeah of course you could play it 900 times and have your solo practically written out, but you could also play it different every time, no?

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 10:01:51 AM »
Well yeh, I'm going to improvise 5 solos and pick the best one. I might even use 5 different amp settings to spice it up.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »
Sounds sexy :eyebrows:

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 11:42:01 AM »
I think I'll just go for one take so I can blame that when mine's worse.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »
:lol

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 01:05:45 AM »
People who have trouble with improvising need to do one major thing:  learn more melodies.  Whether it be Jazz, Rock, Classical, Country, whatever.  You have to learn tons and tons of melodies and mimick ("steal") the rhythms and phrasing from those melodies.  Take simple melodies you know (even children's songs) and use the same rhythms from those songs, but with different notes.  You have to do this with about 10,000 songs and then you start getting your own ideas.  But, you can't create your own melodies without playing many, many other melodies first. 

Drummers, this applies to you, too.  When you do solos, just practice "stealing" the rythms from as many different melodies as you can and play them on the drums. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »
I kinda have found myself doing this a lot.  Although instead of it being different random melodies, as it were, I find that bits and pieces of styles from my favorite players will pop up in my playing without really even having to think about it.  A list off the top of my head would include Ace Frehley, Paul Gilbert, Steve Ray Vaughan, and Joe Satriani.  I've played along with these guys' stuff for a long time.  I know their stuff, I know their style.

So now when I improvise a solo live, BOOM, out comes an Ace-style lick.  I didn't think "Do an Ace lick!", it just came out.  Then maybe I'll do some sort of Satch-ish whammy bar thing.  Again, I didn't think to PURPOSELY do it, it just came out.  So I've somehow managed to incorporate all these little bits and pieces of what my favorite players do, and adapt them a little here and there, until they become my style.  You probably wouldn't hear me play and think "Oh that sounds like Ace" or "That sounds like Satriani".  It sounds like me, HOPEFULLY.  I like that.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 07:17:22 PM »
Yeah, you were already doing that, just not thinking about it.  I think guys like Petrucci and Vai did this, but with many styles of music (Jazz, Latin, Classical, etc.) rather than just with rock and blues. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »
Man, being able to have my amp much louder than normal for the last week or so really makes me realise just how much more you get from the tone at higher volumes.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »
Especially if it is a tube amp. There is no better feeling than blasting my amp when no one is home.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 09:44:03 PM »
Especially if it is a tube amp. There is no better feeling than blasting my amp when no one is home.

Hopefully the day comes when you find that the one thing better is blasting it in front of a crowd of fans.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »

Hopefully the day comes when you find that the one thing better is blasting it in front of a crowd of fans.

I think this counts for improv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRMkAjqO2-E

DMB's #41. Very relaxing, and fun to play.

Offline YngVai

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
A short vid of me improvising a jazz blues in F.  Any comments would be mucho appreciado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUKAHXHbxg

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awJitD37nlQ

Another cover/solo sort of thing, this time of the live version of John Mayer's Belief.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 10:18:15 AM »
This is me doing a little blues improv 2 years ago.  I just had this lying around figured I would share with everyone here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGB1dmC0Prs
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?