Author Topic: Worst gig you've ever been to?  (Read 19918 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Worst gig you've ever been to?
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »
Yeah, that wasn't too good. I was there too, but definitely not the worst gig I've seen. That honour goes to both Fear Factory and Katatonia. Fear Factory was just terrible with the singer out of tune all the time. Luckily, I only had to see them, because Meshuggah in the other room of the festival was too boring to sit through and to wait for Opeth. As for Katatonia, I can only agree with all the other sentiments above.
Oh yeah, that was the Distortion Festival in Eindhoven right? Meshuggah was quite boring but Fear Factory... wow.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2014, 10:11:41 AM »
Worst gig in recent memory:

TesseracT with CloudKicker and some other bands I don't remember. It was a snooze fest.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »

TesseracT with CloudKicker and some other bands I don't remember. It was a snooze fest.

:eek

Can't say anything about TesseracT live, but Intronaut, and Cloudkicker with Intronaut as the backing band a snoozefest? hoofta I'm going to have to go sit down(I already am muahahahaha)

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »
Yeah, that wasn't too good. I was there too, but definitely not the worst gig I've seen. That honour goes to both Fear Factory and Katatonia. Fear Factory was just terrible with the singer out of tune all the time. Luckily, I only had to see them, because Meshuggah in the other room of the festival was too boring to sit through and to wait for Opeth. As for Katatonia, I can only agree with all the other sentiments above.
Oh yeah, that was the Distortion Festival in Eindhoven right? Meshuggah was quite boring but Fear Factory... wow.

Yup. You were there as well. Fear Factory was absolutely terrible indeed. I remember laughing about how bad it was :')
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »
I've never seen this thread! Interesting Zappa tale, Orbert.

It wasn't that the show was bad; as I said, it's just not possible for musicians of that calibre to put on a bad show.  But it was disappointing overall for a number of reasons, and since most shows I've been to have been really good, Frank's show qualifies as the "worst" for me.

It was also a good excuse to share what I think is a reasonably interesting story.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2014, 11:51:33 AM »
Worst gig? I can't really think of any gig worth mentioning although in 2003 or 04 I went and saw Symphony X at a pretty small venue and the sound was insanely bad and for some reason Jason Rullo couldn't keep the tempo at all. He started in one tempo and ended in a diffrent. My first timing seeing SX so I was fairly dissapointed to say the least. A couple of years later I saw them when they opened for DT and it was like seeing and hearing a diffrent band. Man they floored me that night, both the lightning rig and the sound was top notch and every one in the band was on fire. They gave DT a run for their money, atleast that night.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2014, 12:05:21 PM »
I can also remember a Symphony X gig that completely sucked ass.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »
I've been pretty lucky over the years and haven't seen too many shitty concerts.  Of course, I don't go to a lot of shows (maybe 2 or 3 a year, max) so it's hard to pick out the worst gig ever, but some of the ones I remember as sucking pretty bad:

1978 - Boston Garden - Jethro Tull with Whitesnake (yes, that Whitesnake) opening.  David Coverdale had just quit Deep Purple and was ready to rock with his new outfit, but I'm not sure if he hit a single note that night.  It was the first live concert I had ever been to (I was 14 at the time) and I was really disappointed in how terrible Whitesnake sounded.  But Jethro Tull was amazing. 

1992 - Some Shithole in Modesto, CA - Robin Trower Band - Just....awful.  Left in the middle of the third song.  One of the only times I've ever left a show in progress.

2003 - The Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA - Rush - I can't even compare this show to the Rush concerts I went to in the early 80's.  At this show Geddy Lee's vocals were horrible and they had some triggered sound effects and keyboard parts that came in at the wrong times. 

Those are the ones that come immediately to mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2014, 02:17:08 PM »
Kirk, I actually think I have a boot of that Whitesnake show.

The worst band for me was seeing Faster Pussycat in 1987 at The Living Room in Providence. They were so bad I almost blew off the GnR show there a month later. Glad I didn't because they kicked ass!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
Edit: nvm.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
Katatonia opening for Porcupine Tree. That was painful to endure, but luckily Porcupine Tree blew it away. But in Katatonia's defense, it was a combination of their setup and them as openers not having that clear sound you want, as well as giving one of their worse gigs. Because I saw Katatonia as the headliner two years later (with Alcest opening!) and they were really good then. So I don't know what happened when they opened for PT, but it was like as if everything that could go wrong went wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »
I've never seen a downright bad show by anyone, probably because I never go to festivals, and I rarely watch the support bands when I go to an indoors show.

Speaking of Katatonia, I saw them headining a festival two nights ago - I thought they were great and the crowd loved them too. Jonas may not be the most engaging frontman of all time, but he acknowledged the audience several times, even thanking us in Finnish and throwing in a "c'mon Helsinki!" shout during some songs. But of course the main focus of Katatonia's gigs is the music, and you're probably not going to enjoy the show if the songs bore you, which is fair enough.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »
DT at the Palladium. DT was fine, but it had to be 100 degrees on the balcony. It was almost impossible to enjoy the show being drenched in sweat just sitting there. I debated leaving.

Oh god, yes. That was awful. I thought I was gonna pass out.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
My wife almost did.  I had to take her to the refreshment and get a bottle of water.  That place was hotter than 100 degrees.  Brutal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
Ew. I hate heat.

I've never seen this thread! Interesting Zappa tale, Orbert.

It wasn't that the show was bad; as I said, it's just not possible for musicians of that calibre to put on a bad show.  But it was disappointing overall for a number of reasons, and since most shows I've been to have been really good, Frank's show qualifies as the "worst" for me.

It was also a good excuse to share what I think is a reasonably interesting story.

Definitely. So that was the only time you got to see him?

As for my own answers, I would probably say Opeth at the Birch Hill Nightclub back in like 2002 or 3, but that's because I was sick and had promised my carless friend I'd take him, so I was smushed into this little place with a fever. Bad idea.

Oh shit, I almost forgot! I have a new answer for this. A few weeks ago, when Phish was in town for their Labor Day weekend series of shows, a few of us went to a sort of "after-party" starring Touchpants, the "comedy" band of Phish's drummer. What an absolute shite experience. First of all, we got there maybe around 12:30 AM and the band didn't go on until almost 2, so we were already fucking exhausted. And then, the music! Jesus... so, this band consists of three obviously talented musicians who are just playing shite, and a singer who is a complete douchebag. I'm not easily offended and I enjoy a little filth (I think bands like Tenacious D can be a lot of fun), but this was just ridiculous. They were trying wayyy too hard to be dirty and offensive and it really just wasn't funny. Two of them sat on toilets while they performed, and the most entertaining part of the show was fantasizing about smashing the singer's face into the porcelain until it became a bloody pulp. The first song was called "Mushroom Tattoo" and it was over twenty minutes of complete idiocy about hitting a woman in the face with your cock. The lyrics ranged from dumb to downright misogynist and the shit just went on forever. Also, the singer was pretending that his microphone was a penis at one point and hit Tony in the face with it. Tony was not happy about this. If you're feeling brave/masochistic, I found a video of this song being performed (but I stopped it less than a minute in so I'm not sure how it compares to our experience)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvdPux_9oWg
We gave them a second chance and sat through another song or two, but there was no fucking way. We went home to bed and wondered why all of the rest of the people in the club were actually still there. Drugs, I presume.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »
Yeah, I only saw Frank the once.  But I'm glad I got to.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »

:eek

Can't say anything about TesseracT live, but Intronaut, and Cloudkicker with Intronaut as the backing band a snoozefest? hoofta I'm going to have to go sit down(I already am muahahahaha)

Yep. That was the other band. Cloud kicker felt like the same song over and over again and intronaut didnt help any.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2014, 09:05:38 PM »
I saw this Band called Vampire weekend at a festival and I wanted to barf

I will fucking murder you to death
Can't believe I missed this. I will fuck your dead corpse after sonatafanica is done with you.

I don't hate them, I actually like Vampire Weekend but when I saw them close a festival here a few months back it was a snorefest. No energy, except for the bassist, who was awesome.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2014, 06:57:18 AM »
Carl Palmer's band a couple years ago. The guitar was waaaaaay too loud and my ears suffered for it. I also suffered at how much it sucked listening to ELP without Emerson and the fact that there were no keyboards.

I also want to mention a band none of you have heard of and you're very lucky. They are called "La carga", a local band from Argentina that seem to have really good connections and somehow manage to open for international prog bands. I have suffered their music 3 times when they opened for Deep Purple, Kansas and Yes. Some friends of mine also suffered with them in Jethro Tull and Alan's Parsons Project. I hate them so much.

DT 2010.
Horrible Sound. Prety lame setlist. Short as hell.

Are you talking about the ones in BA? I went to both shows and I don't remember it sounding bad. I do agree the setlists weren't great and the shows were too short.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »
Yngwie Malmsteen 1994 or 1995, my first and last concert with him. He had a whole band but played only a couple of songs and even then the spotlight was always on him. And ever so often in between songs he just shredded away to show how fast he was. Musical value: zero. Then he switched to acoustic and continued the mindless shredding but with an even worse sound. And every minute or so he paused, raised his arms in the air and was awaiting the applaus, which came less and less. Out of the roughly 90 minute set, it felt like 80 minutes were him noodling aimlessly on the guitar. I knew before that he had a big ego and probably was a dick, but this concert raised the standards for egomaniac to whole new levels.

Soundgarden 1996. The place was packed with way too many people, like putting 10 pounds of shit into a five pound bag. The place was hot and overcrowded and we waited for the concert to begin. You could see the drumset for soundgarden in the back and the one for the support act in front.
The support act started and was only mildly interesting (a band called Eleven). They finished and we were waiting for Soundgarden. The stagehands carried the drumset off stage only to bring another one. Turned out there was a second support act, hooray! The place was now even hotter and even more overcrowded. The second support act (Moby with a punk band) was boring but we endured it, waiting for the main act. Moby finished and the stagehands carried the drumset away, only to bring another one. Alright! Three support acts, double time hooray!!! A band called Sponge (sadly without a bob) then got on our nerves. They were just plain bad and what made it even worse was, that they tried to cover Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. But they murdered and slaughtered the tune, it was atrocious.
Then, after maybe two hours of terrible support acts, Soundgarden finally came on stage. The place was now hotter than a finnish sauna. There were more people collapsing in the front row than young girls on any boy group concert, because of the heat.
From the start it was obvious that Cornell had severe problems with his voice. He was more screeching and screaming than singing. He tried to get through, but on the last songs his voice gave away and you could barely hear him. The bass player stood there the whole time like he was bored out of his mind, and the guitar player seemed angry about everything. It was not fun to watch and less fun to listen too. If it wasn’t so crowded that we literally had no chance of getting to the exit, we would have left after the first couple of songs.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2014, 08:53:53 AM »
Yngwie Malmsteen 1994 or 1995, my first and last concert with him. He had a whole band but played only a couple of songs and even then the spotlight was always on him. And ever so often in between songs he just shredded away to show how fast he was. Musical value: zero. Then he switched to acoustic and continued the mindless shredding but with an even worse sound. And every minute or so he paused, raised his arms in the air and was awaiting the applaus, which came less and less. Out of the roughly 90 minute set, it felt like 80 minutes were him noodling aimlessly on the guitar. I knew before that he had a big ego and probably was a dick, but this concert raised the standards for egomaniac to whole new levels.

I had a mate over the other day who had been to a relatively recent guitar "clinic" with Malmsteen and he said something along the lines of " You may think Malmsteen is an arrogant prick but that really doesn't do him justice (I'm expecting to be surprised how nice he was) .....he's the biggest fucking ^%^%$*% I've ever laid eyes on"

Apparently he rocked up in full regalia (leather pants and probably some fucking admiral's jacket  ;D ) , noodled around , treated everyone with contempt and when the time came to finish he threw his hair back like some diva and said "Gotta plane to catch" and walked off  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »
Regarding Malmsteen, a friend of mine saw him a couple of times in the early 90s and had nothing but praise. But he went to a "clinic" once and was very disappointed. Apparently Malmsteen played some licks and then said, that he is going to play them slower, so that every one can see what he's doing, only to play it at excat the same speed over and over again. Some serious trolling, if you ask me.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Grizz

« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »
In Worcester, DT's opening act was some VH1 dude doing a stand-up routine and Charred Walls of the Damned (second Judas Priest singer). Sure left us wanting something epic, though, which DT delivered.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »
Oh Yngwie.

I saw him when I was in High School...2007. My cousin won tickets on the radio and couldn't make it so he gave them to me. My buddy and I went mainly to see Bjorn Englen on bass (my buddy's bass teacher at the time) and Tim The Ripper Owens on Vox. It was actually kinda cool because the girl I was kinda in to was there as well (another student of Bjorn), and I spent the entire show chilling with her. Her dad even slipped the security guards a couple twenties to get my bud and I down into the VIP section. Anyway... the opening act was this cool punkish? russian band. Forgot their name. Lot's of energy. Great opening band pick. Then Malmsteen came on.

It sounded horrible. First of all... this was at The Majestic Ventura Theater, which has the worst acoustics and house mix dude I've ever heard. Couple that with the fact that most of the show was him jerking off with his guitar and Ripper's awesome (but distorted and muddy because of the acoustics of the venue) vocals...

It was horrible.

And It wasn't just because of the acoustics. I had seen the Misfits a month earlier and even though everything was distorted and fuzzy and muddy, it was an amazing show. Malmsteen is just... he's just a fucked up bitch.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »
Neil Young couple months back,really boring setlist,boring "jams" where Mr. Young played the same 2 chords over and over again,terrible crowd and the storm which damaged the sound. The opening band Midlake was miles better. Still,I heard Heart Of Gold live. But that just proves Neil Young should never shred,he should stick to acoustic.

Offline adamack

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »
I'll go with A Perfect Circle in Philly on the 13th Step tour. The band and sound were great, but Maynard was being such a Tool (pun intended) with his between-song speeches and was constantly flat. That, and the band didn't even bother with an encore.

No encore?

I was just thinking recently...has any big name band ever finished a set without doing an encore?

This answers my question. None that I've personally seen.

What a dick move!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
DT has cut out encores on at least one occasion due to a hot venue (again, the Palladium gig was REALLY HOT so this must have been a dangerously hot gig).
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline efx

« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »
The only time I saw Yes was the worst show out of several hundreds I have been to.
It was a couple of years ago and it was the last gig David Benoit did with them. They came out on stage and he was just ill. No pitch, no power and after a couple of songs you could just tell he wanted off the stage. It was just so dreadful to listen to yet I admired him for pushing through. He got fired less than a week after that show.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2014, 01:07:44 PM »
DT at the Palladium. DT was fine, but it had to be 100 degrees on the balcony. It was almost impossible to enjoy the show being drenched in sweat just sitting there. I debated leaving.

Oh god, yes. That was awful. I thought I was gonna pass out.

I had seats right in front of the sound board on the floor for that show and even down there it was ridiculously hot and humid at that show.    Too bad because Dream Theater were awesome.  I think that's the last time I saw them with Portnoy.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »

I was there too.  It was a concert and sauna all in one.

I think that's the last time I saw them with Portnoy.

It was the last DT headlining show with Portnoy.  They opened a few more Iron Maiden after that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:31:42 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
You guys are talking about the one in Summer 2010 right? During the Black Clouds & Silver Anniversary tour?

I was there in the balcony and I don't remember anything about the heat... though maybe I was just too overwhelmed with seeing them live for the first time.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2014, 01:32:43 PM »
Who WASN'T at that show?  We had a meetup before hand across the street at the Irish Pub.  Turns out it could have been even more epic.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2014, 01:35:01 PM »
Who WASN'T at that show?

-Raises Hand-
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2014, 01:41:38 PM »
Who WASN'T at that show?  We had a meetup before hand across the street at the Irish Pub.  Turns out it could have been even more epic.

Ah.
I didn't even know about the forum at the time, unfortunately. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »

I didn't realize how many people were at that concert. What was the name of that pub? Arby Abbey's, or something like that?