Author Topic: Bands that you just don't get  (Read 19962 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Bands that you just don't get
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2010, 05:09:02 AM »
Transatlantic, slowly warming up to the Whirlwind though.  It just seems like a daunting task to listen to it.

Just listen to The WW in parts, it's great even when divided up.

Call me ignorant, but the amount of people saying Pain of Salvation astounds me, and shocks me really.
I was shocked before as well. I thought PoS had a pretty accessible sound.

It's not really the accessibility of their sound that is a factor. I just don't get what makes them so great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2010, 05:13:18 AM »
Call me ignorant, but the amount of people saying Pain of Salvation astounds me, and shocks me really.

Agree.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »
PT
PoS

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2010, 05:25:52 AM »

It's not really the accessibility of their sound that is a factor. I just don't get what makes them so great.

Amazing emotional vocals.  Daniel's varied vocals.  Amazing melodic guitar solos.  Thought provoking lyrics.  The reinvention of their sound from album to album.  The originality.  The amazing concepts and stories.  Excellent musicianship.  The incredible atmospheres they create.  Their heavy songs.  Their ballads.  Their short songs.  Their long songs.  Entropia.  One Hour By the Concrete Lake.  The Perfect Element.  Remedy Lane.  Be.  Be live DVD.  12:5.  Scarsick.  Road Salt 1.  Ashes.  Trace of Blood.  Reconciliation.  Chain Sling.  Ending Themes.  Their live DVD.  Perfect live performances.  Incredible vocal harmonies.  The way every bit of music has it's place and purpose.  Disco Queen.  Cribcaged.  King of Loss.  Daniel Gildenlow.  Waking Every God.  Linoleum. Johan's inability to wear a shirt.  The whole fucking Be concept.  Idioglossia.  Used.  In the Flesh.  How they list solo credits in the booklet.  How their name isn't on the spine of their new album.  Mortar Grind.  The extended version of Handful of Nothing on the Ending Themes DVD.  Inside.  Brickworks.  Daniel's falsetto in the live version of Ashes.  His amazing vocals at the end of Reconciliation.  The outro of Trace of Blood.  Where it Hurts.  No Way.  Sisters.  The fucked up thing on the front of One Hour by the Concrete Lake.  The statue on the cover of Scarsick.  Road Salt 2 (we all know it will be fucking awesome!!!!)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2010, 05:28:08 AM »

Amazing emotional vocals.  Daniel's varied vocals.  Amazing melodic guitar solos.  Thought provoking lyrics.  The reinvention of their sound from album to album.  The originality.  The amazing concepts and stories.  Excellent musicianship.  The incredible atmospheres they create.  Their heavy songs.  Their ballads.  Their short songs.  Their long songs.  Entropia.  One Hour By the Concrete Lake.  The Perfect Element.  Remedy Lane.  Be.  Be live DVD.  12:5.  Scarsick.  Road Salt 1.  Ashes.  Trace of Blood.  Reconciliation.  Chain Sling.  Ending Themes.  Their live DVD.  Perfect live performances.  Incredible vocal harmonies.  The way every bit of music has it's place and purpose.  Disco Queen.  Cribcaged.  King of Loss.  Daniel Gildenlow.  Waking Every God.  Linoleum. Johan's inability to wear a shirt.  The whole fucking Be concept.  Idioglossia.  Used.  In the Flesh.  How they list solo credits in the booklet.  How their name isn't on the spine of their new album.  Mortar Grind.  The extended version of Handful of Nothing on the Ending Themes DVD.  Inside.  Brickworks.  Daniel's falsetto in the live version of Ashes.  His amazing vocals at the end of Reconciliation.  The outro of Trace of Blood.  Where it Hurts.  No Way.  Sisters.  The fucked up thing on the front of One Hour by the Concrete Lake.  The statue on the cover of Scarsick.  Road Salt 2 (we all know it will be fucking awesome!!!!)

Cool that you have a band you're very fond of.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2010, 06:00:58 AM »
:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2010, 06:02:22 AM »

Cool that you have a band you're very fond of.

:tup

You were not sure what makes them so great so I told you!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2010, 08:07:43 AM »

That's nice, but I could make a list twice that long for DT and it wouldn't include a list of their albums.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2010, 08:08:25 AM »
Yes

I just find the vocal parts very dull.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2010, 08:55:47 AM »
I got killed on another board for saying this but....

The Rolling Stones:  How did such a talentless bunch of weirdos become one of the biggest bands in history?  What am I missing?

Also

Nickleback:  OMG why do people like that crap?
Any metalcore band:  Nails on a chalkboard doesn't even come close to describing what listening to this type of music does to me.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2010, 08:58:17 AM »
All the bands Durg likes.

Offline Durg

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2010, 09:13:22 AM »

So if you don't get Dream Theater why are you on this board?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2010, 09:14:57 AM »

Don't be so serious Durg,  it's like a welcome here. And BTW.....Welcome!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2010, 09:16:33 AM »

Just to troll.

Offline Durg

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2010, 09:29:08 AM »

Don't be so serious Durg,  it's like a welcome here. And BTW.....Welcome!!

Gotcha!  Toggling serious mode "OFF".

:hat

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2010, 09:45:29 AM »
Theres a serious mode on this forum?
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2010, 10:01:06 AM »
Transatlantic, slowly warming up to the Whirlwind though.  It just seems like a daunting task to listen to it.

Just listen to The WW in parts, it's great even when divided up.

I found it much easier to get into listening to it in chunks, rather than always trying to listen to the whole thing straight through for 77 minutes.  Most of the tracks work very well as great standalone songs (or some back to back tracks working as singular songs, like "Evermore" and "Set Us Free").

The Rolling Stones:  How did such a talentless bunch of weirdos become one of the biggest bands in history?  What am I missing?

Not surprised that you would get killed for saying such a silly thing.  If you don't like them, that is one thing, but to say they are talentless?  Puh-lease. 

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2010, 10:23:21 AM »
Another one:

Animal Collective.

I don't get the hype. At all. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2010, 10:26:53 AM »
Another one:

Animal Collective.

I don't get the hype. At all. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

I can definitely see why many wouldn't like them, as some of their songs are of the WTF variety, but when they connect, they slam it out of the park.  Songs like "My Girls" and "Bluish" are just ridiculously awesome.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »

The Rolling Stones:  How did such a talentless bunch of weirdos become one of the biggest bands in history?  What am I missing?

Not surprised that you would get killed for saying such a silly thing.  If you don't like them, that is one thing, but to say they are talentless?  Puh-lease.  

I used to be big into the Stones when I was younger, but they have one of the least consistent discographies of any band I listen to. About 5 good albums out of 20 or so.  :lol

Yes

I just find the vocal parts very dull.

I can understand not liking Yes... but finding the vocals dull?! Jon Anderson has written some of my favorite vocal lines, and their 3-part harmonies are all excellent and one of the features that makes Yes one of of my favorite bands.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2010, 12:31:07 PM »
Honestly, I am not a big Stones fan at all, and I agree that their discography has a lot of crap, but they have a lot of good songs, nonetheless.  If you don't like or get them, that is just fine with me, but to say they are talentless is just going too far.  I think some forget that songwriting is a talent, and you don't write as many good song as the Stones have without being talented songwriters.

Offline LadyEars

« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2010, 06:06:09 PM »
The Rolling Stones (hate, hate, HATE)
U2 (they make my ass twitch)
Springsteen (I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard)

Pink Floyd used to be on this list but now I love them. Same with the Beatles.

EDIT: Add The Who to the top of my hate list.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:15:33 PM by LadyEars »
Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2010, 09:37:12 PM »
or it didn't happen

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2010, 10:02:48 PM »

Only when discussing Steven Wilson.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »

Oh lord, those are all on my Top 10 list of favourite bands ever :D (Except U2)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2010, 09:03:37 AM »

Only when discussing Steven Wilson.

or when praising 'Be' by Pain of Salvation
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2010, 02:24:20 PM »

Worst female member ever.

Offline LadyEars

« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »
Worst female member ever.

:-*

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2010, 08:49:53 PM »
How their name isn't on the spine of their new album. 

This part needs to be appreciated.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2010, 08:58:39 PM »
How is that anything special?

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2010, 12:18:25 AM »
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

Offline LadyEars

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2010, 07:51:18 AM »

Two more that I really do not get at all: Van Halen and AC/DC.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2010, 02:58:26 AM »
Muse, Sonata Arctica and of course Pain of Salvation.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.