Author Topic: Bands that you just don't get  (Read 19792 times)

Offline EstyMaJ

Bands that you just don't get
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:53:14 AM »
Ok sorry if this seems like a useless topic but this has been bothering me for a while .
I have been told by many people to check out Muse so of course i have been checking them out i would say quite a bit the past year because i have been told how great they are and i would love them because of what they know i listen too'
I just don't get it i guess all the tunes i heard have pretty much the same formula and whiny vocal elements to it and the music is pretty good to fall asleep to but nothing much gets my attention , Don't get me wrong the singer has a descent voice but i just don't get the love for this band and yes I do and have listen to band that you need to keep at like pain of salvation for example.

Anyway this isn't intended to bash this band and i don't think they suck or anything but to try to figure out why there so popular

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: Bands that you just don't get
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:17 AM »
I agree with Muse.

At first, Porcupine Tree, but I love them to bits now.

Radiohead, but if I gave them more time I'm sure I'd like them.

Sonata Arctica, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X, Agalloch, Ayreon, stuff like that, but that's just because I gave them a cursory listen. So really I do eventually get most bands once I've given them the time, which I shall with all of those I've listed at some point.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 05:57:27 AM »
I don't understand Pain of Salvation at all. I don't even like the vocals that much despite everyone telling me otherwise.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:59:11 AM »
Genesis!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:00:17 AM »
Rush!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:06:42 AM »
Agree with Marvelous G;

Muse
Porcupine Tree (even though I own 4 of their albums  :\)
Radiohead

Coheed and Cambria
Transatlantic (sorry but I really can't get into them)
Motley Crue
Dave Matthews Band
Anthrax
Dark Tranquility
The Doors
Nine Inch Nails

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:08:25 AM »
Coheed and Cambria
Try their live album, Neverender. 1000000 times better than studio.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 06:09:55 AM »
Rush
Radiohead
Nirvana
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 06:17:44 AM »
Pain of Salvation, although no-one I've ever met outside of this forum knows who the hell they are so I don't feel so bad.

Avenged Sevenfold is another one. Most bands I can see the appeal or whatever, but they allude me completely...
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 06:18:26 AM »
Wow i see im not the only one who also doesn't get Radiohead too i  gave up on them a long time ago lol
But very surprised to see Rush tho i can understand alot of people get turned of Getty's vocals but then again some of those people are into CAC ??

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 06:19:26 AM »
Wow i see im not the only one who also doesn't get Radiohead too i  gave up on them a long time ago lol
But very surprised to see Rush tho i can understand alot of people get turned of Getty's vocals but then again some of those people are into CAC ??

Geddy's vocals don't bother me as much as they used to.  I just think they're boring.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 06:21:58 AM »
I'll be honest, but most of those "Classic" and "Pioneer" bands bore me. I'm talking about Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, Yes, etc. They have some songs that catch my attention for a while, but I've never listened to any of them for a long time.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 06:48:05 AM »
*Muse - They're ok with a few decent songs, but everywhere they get praised like gods or something, the music is just average at best.
The vocals are pretty lame as well.

*Pain of Salvation - Decent with very few good songs, but they also seem to get praised like gods around here, for reasons very unclear to me.
I don't like Daniel's voice either, the overall quality of this band screams 'average'. (by prog-standards/quality-wise)

The 2 biggest examples, there are a few smaller ones as well, but cba posting.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 06:50:04 AM »
Wow i see im not the only one who also doesn't get Radiohead too i  gave up on them a long time ago lol

Geddy's vocals don't bother me as much as they used to.  I just think they're boring.

Geddy's vocals since Moving Pictures, for the most part, sound very uninspired.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 07:00:55 AM »
t
*Pain of Salvation - Decent with very few good songs, but they also seem to get praised like gods around here, for reasons very unclear to me.
I don't like Daniel's voice either, the overall quality of this band screams 'average'. (by prog-standards/quality-wise)

But you do know that Porcupine Tree is even more upheld in this forum right? I don't get that either. I remember someone suggesting to call this forum PTF.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 07:02:43 AM »
Well yes, but unlike PoS... PT makes great music.  :biggrin:

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 07:03:41 AM »
I knew you'd say that. :biggrin:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 07:04:50 AM »
Transatlantic-Yes they make some good prog stuff (specifically Duel with the Devil and Stranger in Your Soul), but I'm baffled by how popular they are around here/in the prog world considering how okay the Whirlwind was.
Pain of Salvation
Symphony X/Circus Maximus
Justin Bieber/Miley Cyrus/Ke$ha/3Oh!3 (did I spell that right?)

Everyone who doesn't understand why Muse is great needs to go watch HAARP, or any live Muse DVD.  Their live show is fantastic, as are their little jam sessions in between songs.  Matt Bellamy is a GREAT guitar player.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 07:10:49 AM »
Transatlantic-Yes they make some good prog stuff (specifically Duel with the Devil and Stranger in Your Soul), but I'm baffled by how popular they are around here/in the prog world considering how okay the Whirlwind was.
Pain of Salvation
Symphony X/Circus Maximus
Justin Bieber/Miley Cyrus/Ke$ha/3Oh!3 (did I spell that right?)

Everyone who doesn't understand why Muse is great needs to go watch HAARP, or any live Muse DVD.  Their live show is fantastic, as are their little jam sessions in between songs.  Matt Bellamy is a GREAT guitar player.

It only seems to be since "The Resistance" was released that they became the HUGE band they are now (which, ironically, is probably their worst album) and while I do appreciate MB's vocals and I think "Absolution" is a great album, I really can't seem to get into most of their stuff.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 07:14:51 AM »
Well, in the UK they've been huge since Plug in Baby, but I really think it was Knights of Cydonia, Starlight, and Supermassive Black Hole that got them huge over here (thanks to Twilight  >:()

Listen to Origin of Symmetry.  Its got some of the best Muse music and is tied with Absolution in overall quality.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »
Porcupine Tree
Pain of Salvation
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 07:20:21 AM »
Nirvana
Sex Pistols
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 08:45:26 AM »
Of prominence here, Porcupine Tree sticks out the most.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 08:49:57 AM »
Muse are okay. Their formula in and of itself clashes with me a fair bit. But despite that, I still like a fair bit of their stuff. Origin of Symmetry was miles ahead of anything they've done since.

A big one for me is The Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I like most major mainstream rock bands to some extent, but the Chillis have always rubbed me the wrong way. I don't think there's a single song of theirs I like even a tad.

Sonata Arctica, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X, Agalloch, Ayreon, stuff like that,
This list, plus more or less Porcupine Tree all applies to me. I still haven't given up on Agalloch, but I've played a song or two several times and not been too convinced.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49:02 AM »
m
e
t
a
l
l
i
c
a

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 09:53:40 AM »
Pain of Salvation is a big one, Radiohead is another one.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »
Radiohead

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
System Of A Down
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »
Pain of Salvation
Ayreon

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »
Porcupine Tree - I try, and some of it clicks, but I don't see what the big deal is.
Opeth - The music is good, and I have no problem with growls. I just find it all very samey.
Pain of Salvation - I don't know, just not my cup of tea.

I get the love for Muse, Metallica, and Radiohead, even though I don't really listen to them. Those three, though, baffle me.

Offline j

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 10:40:50 AM »
Pain of Salvation is definitely the biggest one.  I've tried to get into them several times, and I still have absolutely NO idea what people like about this band.

And I definitely understand the lukewarm feelings toward Muse, although they've grown on me quite a bit.  I like them okay now, but I'm still baffled at the undue praise they sometimes get around here.

-J

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »
Pain of Salvation is definitely the biggest one.  I've tried to get into them several times, and I still have absolutely NO idea what people like about this band.

Er, the lyrics, mostly.  Then the fantastic vocals.  Then their unpredictable nature.  Then the beautifully written melodies.  Then the emotions in their songs.  Just for starters. 

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »
Porcupine Tree, sadly. Actually, I love them, they make great music, and I have nothing but respect for Steven Wilson and the broad range of his projects -- but I still don't understand why they're worshiped to the extent they are. I have eight of their albums, and while they've struck me as extremely solid progressive rock, I still don't see what's particularly godlike about them.

Now, Rush. Rush is good too, and they put on one hell of a live show; but, again, I don't get why half of the forum wants to suck them off. I'm reluctant to put them on here because there's the whole possible "they're one of the pioneers of the genre and so they won't seem as fresh and innovative when you're listening to them after newer bands" factor, but I actually do see what's so amazing about other bands like King Crimson and Pink Floyd, so I don't know. And I know they change their sound up from era to era, but much of what I've heard from each era sounds a bit samey -- maybe it's just Geddy's voice.

Radiohead. I like Kid A and some parts of Hail To The Thief, but OK Computer hasn't clicked for me yet and I've had it the longest.

Also, as stated elsewhere, I'll never understand the appeal of generic prog & power-prog bands like Circus Maximus, Vanden Plas, Pagan's Mind, etc., and I don't like Spock's Beard, Transatlantic and can't STAND Neal Morse (though I do understand how people can like these three).

I expected this thread to be 50% people saying Pain of Salvation, though, haha :lol but I agree with dtismajesty, though the lyrics aren't my favorite part of the band

Offline j

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 11:42:57 AM »

Er, the lyrics, mostly.  Then the fantastic vocals.  Then their unpredictable nature.  Then the beautifully written melodies.  Then the emotions in their songs.  Just for starters. 

I'm glad you get enjoyment from this band, and I can understand some of that.  But Jesus, the lyrics are terrible. :lol

-J

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 11:53:27 AM »
Pain of Salvation
U2
Bruce Springsteen

I don't get any of those.