Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 407538 times)

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
Re: James LaBrie's Solo Material - new song!
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
Verse vocals kill what otherwise would be a reasonable song
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
How can a song be reasonable?

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
I really dig this song, I thought the harsh vocals were refreshing from the usual DT related material. I hope there is some epic 10 minute metal track that features both of their vocals.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2010, 07:05:10 PM »
How can a song be reasonable?
reasonably good
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2010, 07:13:14 PM »
Wow those screams were awful. Everything else was good though...

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2010, 07:33:11 PM »
I gave it a second listen, and I've decided it's not a terrible song. It's definitely more original than any of the heavy stuff on EoP. I still don't think it's that great, though. I can usually disregard bad lyrics if they're in metal songs, but the lyrics that are growled are pretty awkward for the mood that is set.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2010, 07:34:30 PM »
I gave it a second listen, and I've decided it's not a terrible song. It's definitely more original than any of the heavy stuff on EoP. I still don't think it's that great, though. I can usually disregard bad lyrics if they're in metal songs, but the lyrics that are growled are pretty awkward for the mood that is set.

What don't you like about it? I don't notice anything "bad" per se about the growls. They're definitely not the best growls I've ever heard, but nor are they Portnoy-esque "I don't know how to growl but I'm gonna give it a try" either. They just seem kinda... average... to me. And James and the solo section both kick ass, so it's fine.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »
I like it.
ALOT.
From beginning to end.....a fucking home run.
And.....that's alot coming from me, because I'm very critical of KJL...I always have been.

But this is good.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2010, 07:42:31 PM »

What don't you like about it? I don't notice anything "bad" per se about the growls. They're definitely not the best growls I've ever heard, but nor are they Portnoy-esque "I don't know how to growl but I'm gonna give it a try" either. They just seem kinda... average... to me. And James and the solo section both kick ass, so it's fine.

It's not that I dislike the growls, they're actually better than half the stuff that's out there. It's just that they took the lyrics to a sad song and put them in with brutal-ish music. It doesn't quite match.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2010, 07:48:33 PM »
I guess I can understand. As someone who's into Killswitch and stuff, though, I guess I kinda just see how it comes with the territory.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 07:59:22 PM »
I think it's quite refreshing when solo artists are out to write music for music's sake, rather than to show off a bit and sing all over it. Shows that he's written this album cause he wants to write an album, not write a solo work.

Exactly...which is why Bruce Dickenson's solo albums are so good.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 08:00:40 PM »
This was unexpected. As of right now I'm not really digging the cookie monster vocals, but labrie's parts sound great as does the music. The ro ro ro doesn't do it for me with a Labrie album though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 08:06:55 PM »
Can't you guys switch off for a few minutes and appreciate something different? Why on earth would you want another DT-sounding album from the frontman of the band? It wouldn't be much of a solo album if James did exactly what he did on DT's 9 previous albums, would it? It sounds good.

Yes, because our two choices are growling and sounding just like a DT album.  :\
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2010, 08:10:56 PM »
I happened to love EOP and didn't think that sounded anything like a DT record

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »
Really enjoyed this, and it was completely the opposite of what I was expecting. I'll probably pick this up.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
I think Nick is just saying they could have done something different without going into a genre he doesn't care for it all.

I love it, and couldn't disagree more. I think once Nick really listens to it closely, he'll hear a lot of stuff he likes there. But who knows?

Offline TL

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Hmm.

Well, my first reaction was being caught off guard when, on a brand new JLB song, I got some guy shouting.

Overall, it was a pretty good song. The parts where James was singing sounded great. However, I absolutely hate screaming in music. I will probably never understand how anyone likes it. I've given that style of vocals a chance time and time again, and it just isn't for me. You can have aggressive and heavy vocals without just screaming/growling everything, and while still having some sort of melody to it. To me, it just comes off as immature.

I will definitely still give the album a chance, because it is JLB, and I did hear some stuff I liked in there, but there had better not be much more screaming on it. Honestly, it's no longer an automatic purchase for me. I'll almost definitely still be buying it, but I'm going to have to preview it now.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2010, 09:45:41 PM »
I made that comment before I had heard the song, because whatever my thoughts on the song ended up being the comment itself was really dumb, I thought. It's also upsetting when people who don't like hearing growls in music are less manly or lesser people. It comes down to preference, and frankly I think preferring not to listen to growls, though you might not share the preference, is a pretty easy preference for people to understand.

All that said I absolutely loved the song aside from the growling, and I actually loved the lowly mixed growls under the ends of the chorus.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »
Good post Nick. And it SHOULD be easy to understand, since most people if not all people who like growls had to "ease" into it over time.

I'm glad you like the song, though. It took me about a second to get used to, but once I did I knew it was amazing. I really love what's going on instrumentally beneath those growls, too.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »
I really liked it.

Wasn't a fan of the verses, but I can deal with them.  I kinda like JLB's idea of having growled verses, but I just didn't like the vocalist's voice that much.

JLB himself sounded awesome, and I enjoyed the chorus.  Also, musically, I think it's better then EOP easily.

Will definitely buy this album.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2010, 10:08:06 PM »
Good post Nick. And it SHOULD be easy to understand, since most people if not all people who like growls had to "ease" into it over time.

I'm glad you like the song, though. It took me about a second to get used to, but once I did I knew it was amazing. I really love what's going on instrumentally beneath those growls, too.

All of this.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2010, 10:29:55 PM »
The verse's remind me of Scar Symmetry.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2010, 12:06:38 AM »
I hate screaming vox because it takes away from the rest of the music.  How am I supposed to listen to the rest of the band when some guy is shouting unintelligble words as loud as he can over it?  I hate them!  James was amazing, the music was AMAZING!  I loved the music!  I just hated the shouting.  Yeah it was an experiment, but in my opinion that was one that didn't really work.  The fact that I got through it showed how GOOD the music was. 

BTW, ITNOG, I don't appreciate being called a woman for not liking growls/screamo vocals.  I know you were directing it broadly, and probably in jest, but I did take it personally.  I never have liked growl/scream vox, never will.  It's a personal preference.  But I know I'm not wrong for that.  So don't be pushing your personal preferences on other people, saying that they are wrong for not agreeing with you. 
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2010, 02:22:38 AM »
The amount of closed-mindedness in this thread (not just about the growls) makes me a sad panda. :sadpanda:

Anyway whatever, I for one am glad that James is doing something a bit different this time. As Rob said, he isn't doing solo albums just to show off his voice for an hour, because that would get pretty boring, he's writing music that he wants to write. Most solo artists get other musicians to come in and help out.

I'm actually really happy about him 1) choosing to not do ALL the vocals, and 2) having some growls, as maybe people will finally shut the hell up with their claims that when those things happen in DT it's all MP's fault. :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:31:13 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2010, 02:35:27 AM »
I still blame MP for it. I can picture the band all gathering around a screen as MP broadcasts from on tour with someone else telling them how to do the album. The evil Captian Blue Beard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2010, 02:44:09 AM »
Not sure if it as been discussed yet, but I wonder who wrote the lyrics. It doesn't sound like a JLB lyric, but maybe it is.

Overall I really enjoyed the song. Screaming takes a little while to get used to, but the chorus is top notch
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2010, 03:33:16 AM »
A lot of you guys are fucking girls.  I've never seen so much bitching.

This song is fucking amazing!!!!!  The intro is slick, the verses are fucking brutal, very Soilwork.  The chorus is sublime, the bass solo breakdown is incredible, and Marco is in top form of course.

What a fucking great song, perfect metal, deal with it bitches James is on a winner here.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Mladen

« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2010, 05:01:05 AM »
Can't you guys switch off for a few minutes and appreciate something different? Why on earth would you want another DT-sounding album from the frontman of the band?
Nobody asks for another Dream Theater sounding album. He could have done an oldschool progressive rock album, and I'd be fine with it. He could have done a pop album, and I'd be fine with it. He could have done an acoustic folk rock album, or a thrash metal sounding record, and I'd still enjoy it. But no - he had to go with a guy whose screams are cringe-worthy. An open mind and repeated listening wouldn't change the fact that the guy annoys me a lot.

I truly hope there won't be plenty of those screaming vocals on the record...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2010, 05:11:08 AM »
Wtf wolfking, there's no need for that. Calm down please!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2010, 05:12:37 AM »
Wtf wolfking, there's no need for that. Calm down please!

Sorry dude.   :tup

Just really enjoying this new song, a real winner IMO.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2010, 05:14:41 AM »
Can't you guys switch off for a few minutes and appreciate something different? Why on earth would you want another DT-sounding album from the frontman of the band?
Nobody asks for another Dream Theater sounding album. He could have done an oldschool progressive rock album, and I'd be fine with it. He could have done a pop album, and I'd be fine with it. He could have done an acoustic folk rock album, or a thrash metal sounding record, and I'd still enjoy it. But no - he had to go with a guy whose screams are cringe-worthy. An open mind and repeated listening wouldn't change the fact that the guy annoys me a lot.

I truly hope there won't be plenty of those screaming vocals on the record...

But James obviously isn't doing any of those styles of this new cd, his doing more modern, almost metalcore style music.

I actually hope there's quite a bit of growling.  Great to hear James doing something like this, give his vocals a real breath of fresh air IMO.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2010, 05:15:49 AM »
Listening to it for the first time. Where's the bassist's sense of groove?
The chorus is amazing, not so much a fan of the screaming vocals, though. The music goes a bit overboard with its technicality.

Overall, a pretty average song. I don't think that it's going to grow on me that much either.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ehra

« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2010, 05:17:01 AM »
Loved the song, but I can see why lots of people would have problems with the verses. All I'll comment on is the concern I've been seeing about the entire album being like this, vocals wise. This was one song, I really doubt that James won't be featured prominently on the rest of the album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2010, 05:41:13 AM »
I've never seen a bigger bunch of women in a prog metal forum before.

'oh no the screams'

'i hate the screams'

'it's just ruined it all!'

Can't you guys switch off for a few minutes and appreciate something different? Why on earth would you want another DT-sounding album from the frontman of the band? It wouldn't be much of a solo album if James did exactly what he did on DT's 9 previous albums, would it? It sounds good.

I like growls in metal. I also don't like growls in metal. I get the best of both. Try it sometime.

Bro, WTF is this? Not liking growls does not equate to womanhood.

I liken growls to onions. I hate onions! You can cover the finest Filet Mignon with onions, and I will not be able to eat it.
Doesn't mean I can't appreciate onions. I can appreciate growls, but they have no place in my CD collection.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2010, 05:52:09 AM »
Great, now I've been put down by a growl lover.  Growls do nothing for me.  I understand that talent behind growling because 2 seconds of me growling and I'm coughing for 3 minutes but I want to hear melody in my vocals.  In small spurts it's ok.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC