Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 407545 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance
« Reply #2485 on: January 03, 2017, 12:13:01 AM »
I'll jump on this train (or rather have been for a while). I love the last few albums by JLB and other than a usual obligatory "check out the new DT album time" have all but wedged the band in the "bands I used to love/influences" category. But I'd totally be down for another JLB album, I still have the playlist of a few songs off each of his solo albums spinning here and there.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2486 on: January 03, 2017, 12:15:15 AM »
I probably have no desire to see DT live anytime soon unless something huge happens, but I'd easily see JLB live, I'd even travel a considerable distance for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2487 on: January 03, 2017, 01:00:10 AM »
When I saw him live in 2005 it was a wonderful concert! He's actually the only DT member I've ever met in person, since the DT machine is so huge that you can't easily approach them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: Madman & Sinners Outtakes feat James LaBrie
« Reply #2488 on: January 03, 2017, 01:37:39 AM »
Some of you know that James worked with Tim Donahue (Mike Mangini too on drums), it's called Madmen and Sinners. Tim Donahue, after that made a album called Madmen and Sinners Pt II but never realesed but only performed live.

There is another 4 outtake tracks from Madmen and Sinners Pt I.

1-Falling Sky
2-History Repeats
3-A Heartbeat Away
4-All That Remains

Here it is: https://soundcloud.com/donahue-tim/tim-donahue-with-james-labrie-mike-mangini

I love Madmen and Sinners. It's absolutely one of the James' darkest and intense vocal work.

Wow! Glad I came into this thread. Loved this CD when I got it back in the day, and these outtakes are awesome! Thanks for the post!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2489 on: January 03, 2017, 09:08:40 AM »
I probably have no desire to see DT live anytime soon unless something huge happens, but I'd easily see JLB live, I'd even travel a considerable distance for it.

I would totally check out JLB's solo band.  I believe he was going to play local to me when they announced a small tour some years ago but that got cancelled.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2490 on: January 03, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
Frameshift "Unweaving the Rainbow" also highlights James' capabilities as a vocalist. Check that release if you guys haven't.

I keep coming back to Static Impulse, my favorite out of the JLB solo band outings. Mullmuzzler 2 remains my favorite out of the two MM releases. I played the heck out of Elements of Persuasion when it came out (about 6-7 months straight) and I burned myself out of that release, which is a shame (for me). I keep pulling it out but only once a year at the most. SI kind of combines both EoP and IR. IR feels a bit overly produced while SI feels and sounds very natural. The production is top notch and the drumming is out of this world.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2491 on: January 03, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »
"Agony" is probably my #1 James LaBrie-sung song. Such a great way to start his last album. Looking forward to whenever he gets around to another one. Every single album that he sings is money.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2492 on: January 03, 2017, 10:36:24 AM »
The last three JLB solo records, starting with Elements of Persuasion, are so much better than any of Dream Theater's output going back to SFM - definitely more my style than what Dream Theater has become.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2493 on: January 04, 2017, 08:43:28 PM »
My Madmen & Sinners CD was delivered today. James is excellent on this. Having Mangini on it is a bonus.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2494 on: January 04, 2017, 09:18:12 PM »
I have never heard of Madmen and Sinners before, another THANK YOU to this forum for another great find!

More JLB = more goodness in my world.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2495 on: January 05, 2017, 01:22:50 AM »
Since we're digging out potential forgotten gems... how about the rock opera Leonardo - The Absolute Man? James co-stars as Leonardo and sings a lot in the album, there at least two fantastic songs: a female duet (This Time, This Way) and a solo song that is a vocal showcase for James (Shaping the Invisible).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #2496 on: January 05, 2017, 01:23:46 AM »
Since we're digging out potential forgotten gems... how about the rock opera Leonardo - The Absolute Man? James co-stars as Leonardo and sings a lot in the album, there at least two fantastic songs: a female duet (This Time, This Way) and a solo song that is a vocal showcase for James (Shaping the Invisible).

Oh yea, I haven't heard that in a long time. I remember mostly liking it, but there were too many silly instrumental songs that served no purpose.

All the production left a lot to be desired. But if you trim the fat, it's quite not bad!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2497 on: January 05, 2017, 04:44:55 AM »

That's one I don't think I've even heard of.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2498 on: January 05, 2017, 04:53:28 AM »

As Adami said - plenty of fat (nothing interludes etc.....) and a few good tracks.  I only listened to it once fwiw.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2499 on: January 05, 2017, 05:02:25 AM »
I think I possibly remember the title and might have sampled some stuff and wasn't interested.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2500 on: January 05, 2017, 05:05:49 AM »
I was looking for a Wikipedia link and I found out that Trent Gardner had died last June. WHAT THE HELL??????

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2501 on: January 05, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »
I was looking for a Wikipedia link and I found out that Trent Gardner had died last June. WHAT THE HELL??????

Yes, he passed away unfortunately. His brother also died a few years back as well. Was really looking forward for the music he was releasing. There's a bunch of cool songs in his Bandcamp page if you guys want to buy/listen to them.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2502 on: January 05, 2017, 07:37:09 AM »

Both Leonardo and Frameshift absolutely showcase James' voice in ways that he can't do in DT. Haven't listened to Leonardo in ages. Need to spin that sucker again. As wolfking said, This Time, This Way and Shaping the Invisible are stunning performances.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2503 on: January 05, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
I checked it out a long, long time ago because I'm a diehard Steve Walsh fan, but the album as a whole is not good. Some nice individual performances, though.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2504 on: January 05, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »

Both Leonardo and Frameshift absolutely showcase James' voice in ways that he can't do in DT. Haven't listened to Leonardo in ages. Need to spin that sucker again. As wolfking said, This Time, This Way and Shaping the Invisible are stunning performances.

I gotta check out those songs. I've tried listening to the album a couple times, but it never grabbed me like Madmen and Frameshift did.
WELP.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2505 on: January 05, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »

I don't remember saying that!  ;)

Is the Leonardo thing the album that has that awful version of Nessun Dorma? I love James, but that is just awful.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2506 on: January 05, 2017, 05:26:58 PM »

I don't remember saying that!  ;)

Is the Leonardo thing the album that has that awful version of Nessun Dorma? I love James, but that is just awful.

No, it is not on Leonardo. It's on the TSR Three Tenors release
https://www.amazon.com/Concerto-True-Minor-Rock-Tenors/dp/B0013Z6BBS

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2507 on: January 06, 2017, 04:39:34 AM »
Ah, thanks.  Still don't know who told James that would be a good idea.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2508 on: January 06, 2017, 04:42:05 AM »
TSR is one of the worst things I've ever heard, IMO. :lol

Leonardo was ok, but not very interesting. Frameshift was a little better, but still hit and miss. Madmen & Sinners was a lot stronger, from what I recall.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2509 on: January 06, 2017, 07:25:34 AM »
TSR is one of the worst things I've ever heard, IMO. :lol

Leonardo was ok, but not very interesting. Frameshift was a little better, but still hit and miss. Madmen & Sinners was a lot stronger, from what I recall.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Madmen (a few gems like Million Miles Away, Madmen and Sinners, and Wildest Dreams). I wished they would have released more music with more of the gregorian chants and stuff.

But yes, TSR was a major disappointment. A lot of cringeworthy moments.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2510 on: January 06, 2017, 08:30:49 AM »
Leonardo was pretty terrible.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
RESolution9 by Rik Emmett featuring James LaBrie
« Reply #2511 on: March 07, 2017, 03:29:27 PM »
This is RESolution9 by Rik Emmett.

James LaBrie  on,

End Of The Line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NJUS7737GM (IMO, James' vox is surprisingly better than expected)
I Sing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxHsOpvhHVg
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2512 on: March 07, 2017, 03:55:10 PM »
Leonardo was pretty terrible.

I enjoyed Leonardo a lot. I think Leonardo and Frameshift really highlighted his voice very well.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2513 on: March 08, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »
I asked James about the new solo album and he said it's in the works and should be out next year.  :)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2514 on: March 08, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
I asked James about the new solo album and he said it's in the works and should be out next year.  :)

Aw yeah!!  :yarr :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2515 on: March 08, 2017, 12:22:52 PM »
Excellent news! I'll welcome anything by James, but I hope it's something a bit different than the last two albums. They were good, but two of those kind are enough, the risk of becoming average is there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2516 on: March 08, 2017, 02:54:17 PM »
I say keep it going with what they are doing.  Last two albums were great.  Im definitely excited for what he has for his next release.  Did he mention if he's working with the same guys?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2517 on: March 08, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »
I hope so, he, Guillory and Sfogli seem to have quite a good thing going. Matt Guillory is to James what Roy Z is to Bruce Dickinson, a formibable writing partner outside the singer's main band.

Online Adami

« Reply #2518 on: March 08, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »
I hope they try something a little different.

Their last two albums are amazing, but I honestly can't tell which songs are on which album anymore. Best case scenario is the songs are just as good and thus blend in with the other two, or worst case they are lesser versions of the same style.

I wouldn't mind seeing a return to a more thick heavy, not as hectic, Elements type sound but with more prominent keyboards.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2519 on: March 08, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »
I predict it will be phenomenal!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens