Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 163816 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #875 on: October 14, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
Loved the video. Liked the song. Seems to be a bit of a return to form. We shall see.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #876 on: October 14, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
Very good song with very good instrumental parts and very good drum work too :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #877 on: October 18, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
I really like "The Stage". It's got dark tone, solid drums, and a healthy dose of shredding. Plus, finger tapping arpeggios? Yes please!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #878 on: October 18, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »
Ah, yes, I really like The Stage! It contains every element of their I found HTTK to be lacking. Looking forward to their new material very much. 

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #879 on: October 18, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »
Sounds like more of the same to me. Didn't like HTK, didn't like this.  :'(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: October 18, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
I think it's one of the better songs from Avenged in all of their discography honestly.  This song rocks, I can't stop listening to it.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: October 18, 2016, 07:39:45 PM »
I think it's one of the better songs from Avenged in all of their discography honestly.  This song rocks, I can't stop listening to it.

Agreed. It's amazing...and won't surprise me if it ends up in my top 5 A7X songs list.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #882 on: October 19, 2016, 05:48:53 AM »
Yeah this song is fantastic. Might just have hit my top 10 Avenged songs. 2016 is blowing 2015 out of the water, no contest.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #883 on: October 19, 2016, 08:11:39 AM »

Same here. I think I've listened to it 100 times the last 4 or 5 days.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #884 on: October 19, 2016, 11:23:25 AM »
I don't see the hype. It's an okay song, but doesn't stand with the better songs from the self-titled or Nightmare.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #885 on: October 19, 2016, 11:37:36 AM »
I don't see the hype. It's an okay song, but doesn't stand with the better songs from the self-titled or Nightmare.

I see your point about Nightmare, but I would argue that no song on the self-titled album is better than "The Stage". No even close, really. That was their worst effort aside from Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. Maybe HTTK is a little worse too, but that still leaves the self-titled near the bottom for me.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #886 on: October 19, 2016, 11:42:45 AM »
wow... Critical Acclaim? Unbound(The Wild Ride)? Brompton? A Little Piece of Heaven? All top 10 Avenged songs.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #887 on: October 19, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »
Love the self titled. It's my favorite.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #888 on: October 19, 2016, 12:02:40 PM »
The sound quality is amazing.
If this album ends up sounding similar to HttK (which I consider the best sounding mainstream metal album in 20 years) while also having more inspired songwriting like the pre-HttK albums... :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #889 on: October 19, 2016, 12:11:42 PM »
The new song is pretty cool.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #890 on: October 19, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »
wow... Critical Acclaim? Unbound(The Wild Ride)? Brompton? A Little Piece of Heaven? All top 10 Avenged songs.
A Little Piece of Heaven is for sure, but I wouldn't put the others in my top 10. Maybe not even top 20 considering I would put 7 of the City of Evil  tracks ahead of them.

I guess that's a problem with a band like Avenged. Their discography is pretty varied from Sounding through HTTK, so some fans won't like the old stuff due to the screaming vocals and low production, whereas many early fans don't like the new stuff because there's either no screaming or it's not City of Evil enough for them.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #891 on: October 20, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »
Ok so I'd only listened to the new single once. I admit when I first watched the video I was kinda taking that in as well. I thought it sounded promising but didn't really have any desire to listen to it again.

However, I'm at work tonight and one of the guys I support has some rock radio station playing and I hear the intro to The Stage. It immediately made me sit up (I was in my office next door) and think "This is the new Avenged, this sounds so good." I had to go next door and listen to it with him. He'd never heard if A7X so I explained who they were. I've just realised, after a second listen, that I'm actually excited about a new A7X album for the first time in a long time.

Just wanted to share that with you. It's nice when you realise that a song has sunk in that much after one listen, even though I didn't realise it at the time  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: October 20, 2016, 03:07:50 PM »
From their FB:
On October 27th we will be performing on a very grand stage for the entire world to enjoy. Secure your front row seat by joining us here on our Facebook page at precisely 8:30PM PDT on the 27th.
You'll also be able to watch in 3D 360° and Virtual Reality on www.AvengedSevenfold.com.
This is a MUST SEE live streamed event for fans across the world that you will not want to miss!!!!

That's pretty late for the east coast, but if I am up, I would definitely love to catch this.  Avenged is one band that I really like that I haven't had the opportunity to see live before.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #893 on: October 20, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »
From their FB:
On October 27th we will be performing on a very grand stage for the entire world to enjoy. Secure your front row seat by joining us here on our Facebook page at precisely 8:30PM PDT on the 27th.
You'll also be able to watch in 3D 360° and Virtual Reality on www.AvengedSevenfold.com.
This is a MUST SEE live streamed event for fans across the world that you will not want to miss!!!!

That's pretty late for the east coast, but if I am up, I would definitely love to catch this.  Avenged is one band that I really like that I haven't had the opportunity to see live before.
I've seen them a couple times, including the single best concert I've been to. It was the 2nd year in a row that they did the Rockstar Energy tour, so they let fans vote on the songs they wanted to hear. The result was 3, mostly different, set lists that they cycled. I lucked out and got what I thought to be the best of the 3 sets. It had so many of my favorites that it could have been my own personal playlist from my iPod.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #894 on: October 22, 2016, 12:30:01 PM »
Ok so I'd only listened to the new single once. I admit when I first watched the video I was kinda taking that in as well. I thought it sounded promising but didn't really have any desire to listen to it again.

However, I'm at work tonight and one of the guys I support has some rock radio station playing and I hear the intro to The Stage. It immediately made me sit up (I was in my office next door) and think "This is the new Avenged, this sounds so good." I had to go next door and listen to it with him. He'd never heard if A7X so I explained who they were. I've just realised, after a second listen, that I'm actually excited about a new A7X album for the first time in a long time.

Just wanted to share that with you. It's nice when you realise that a song has sunk in that much after one listen, even though I didn't realise it at the time  :lol
Welcome to the family my friend, this album is going to be rad, I just have a gut feeling. :metal

I'm honestly addicted to The Stage, can't wait for the album to pop
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #895 on: October 22, 2016, 05:00:23 PM »

Welcome to the family my friend, this album is going to be rad, I just have a gut feeling. :metal

I'm honestly addicted to The Stage, can't wait for the album to pop

Yea, I think on first listen I was just thinking about how weird the video was and a strange direction to go. Absolutely love the intro and will likely pick up the album as soon as it's released (when is the release date by the way?).

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #896 on: October 22, 2016, 05:13:34 PM »
There's no confirmed release date yet. However: https://www.facebook.com/events/705218152979178/

They're suggesting some sort of announcement on the 27th during a livestream on facebook. Will check it out if I have the time, maybe they'll announce an official release date and album title? Or maybe because it seems to be a performance, they'll play The Stage on the livestream, or even a new song? I dunno, I'm pretty hype dough

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #897 on: October 22, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »
I dunno, I'm pretty hype dough

Hype dough is the best kind of dough  :rollin

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #898 on: October 22, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »
yes, yes it is

or maybe cookie dough

cookie doughs pretty good

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: October 22, 2016, 09:02:52 PM »
There's no confirmed release date yet. However: https://www.facebook.com/events/705218152979178/

They're suggesting some sort of announcement on the 27th during a livestream on facebook. Will check it out if I have the time, maybe they'll announce an official release date and album title? Or maybe because it seems to be a performance, they'll play The Stage on the livestream, or even a new song? I dunno, I'm pretty hype dough

They already performed the Stage live last week so I'd imagine it's a guarantee they will play it then as well.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #900 on: October 24, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »
Looks like Warner Bros. is sending a "fuck you" to the band by releasing an Avenged best of album a week before the new album is expected to drop. Maybe a little bitter about having to release them from their contract lol?

https://loudwire.com/avenged-sevenfold-the-best-of-2005-2013-compilation/

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #901 on: October 24, 2016, 02:36:14 PM »
^^ At least, the track listing is good and full of songs everyone, that's an A7X fan, knows.  Do casual fans, that's on the fence regarding A7X, actually buy these sorts of greatest hits compilation?

Disc One:
“Bat Country” (City Of Evil)
“Beast And The Harlot” (City Of Evil)
“Seize The Day” (City Of Evil)
“Critical Acclaim” (Avenged Sevenfold)
“Almost Easy” (Avenged Sevenfold)
“Afterlife” (Avenged Sevenfold)
“Dear God” (Avenged Sevenfold)
“A Little Piece of Heaven” (Avenged Sevenfold)

Disc Two:
“Nightmare” (Nightmare)
“Welcome To The Family” (Nightmare)
“So Far Away” (Nightmare)
“Hail To The King” (Hail To The King)
“Shepherd of Fire” (Hail To The King)
“Walk” (Diamonds In The Rough)
“Flash Of The Blade” (Diamonds In The Rough)
“Paranoid” (Covered: A Revolution In Sound)
“Carry On” (Call Of Duty: Black Ops II)
“Not Ready To Die” (Call Of The Dead)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: October 24, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »
^^ At least, the track listing is good and full of songs everyone, that's an A7X fan, knows.  Do casual fans, that's on the fence regarding A7X, actually buy these sorts of greatest hits compilation?

My opinion, but A7X should not have a double disc best of album.  They don't have enough material for that IMO. 

Also, just my opinion, but best of albums make no sense in the internet age we live in, but I guess this is a business decision due to contracts and whatnot.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #903 on: October 24, 2016, 03:13:27 PM »

My opinion, but A7X should not have a double disc best of album.  They don't have enough material for that IMO. 

Also, just my opinion, but best of albums make no sense in the internet age we live in, but I guess this is a business decision due to contracts and whatnot.

Agreed. If I want a best of album I just make a new playlist on my digital music player lol. It's not like back in the day when you'd have to pop in a CD or cassette (although I barely caught the end of that era).

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: October 24, 2016, 03:36:22 PM »
Nowadays you can just go on Spotify and let an artist's most popular tracks play. Not much reason for someone to buy a greatest hits or "best of" album. But I was never a fan of compilations to begin with, so maybe I'm missing something.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: October 24, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »
Nowadays you can just go on Spotify and let an artist's most popular tracks play. Not much reason for someone to buy a greatest hits or "best of" album. But I was never a fan of compilations to begin with, so maybe I'm missing something.

I can say that I at least used to purchase these types of albums if I wanted to explore a new band (before the internet took over). 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #906 on: October 24, 2016, 04:26:26 PM »
Errrrr, there's nothing from Waking the Fallen!!!  :loser:

Can't be a greatest hits!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #907 on: October 24, 2016, 06:22:31 PM »
Errrrr, there's nothing from Waking the Fallen!!!  :loser:

Can't be a greatest hits!

That actually makes this "Best Of" be obviously a Warner Bros. play since Waking the Fallen was not released under that label.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #908 on: October 24, 2016, 10:34:08 PM »
Obvious fuck you to the band, especially with the release date. I didn't even know Best Of albums was still a thing. Although if Best Of cds were still worth making, I think they could've put together a pretty good one during that long gap between Nightmare and HTTK. You could fill up one disc of solid material for newcomers.

Beast and the Harlot
Critical Acclaim
Bat Country
Unholy Confessions
Seize The Day (I actually hate this song, but it was a single and you need a ballad in there)
Afterlife

Nightmare
Welcome To the Family
Almost Easy
Buried Alive
Second Heartbeat
A Little Piece of Heaven

68 minutes. Also long enough for a double LP, which is why I put a space between Afterlife and Critical Acclaim.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #909 on: October 25, 2016, 01:04:11 AM »
What annoys me about Best Of albums is when. in this case, they're just chronological. Since you're compiling an official release that you will ask people money from, how about do what any kid with Spotify or Winamp can do, and come up with a nice, interesting and cohesive tracklist, balancing songs from all the eras, the hits, the slower songs, pacing the album in a word? more often than not Best Of albums are 3-4 songs from albums slapped together in order and that's it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!