Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 164435 times)

Offline LordCost

Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #770 on: July 27, 2015, 10:38:18 AM »
HTTK is by far my least favourite album of them too, but Doing Time and Planets (and Requiem) are the ones I still listen to. I don't even remember much the other songs, I found the album completely unoriginal the first time I listened to it

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: July 27, 2015, 04:05:58 PM »

Trivium is great but nowhere near Sevenfold's level.

AX7 Make The Crusade with every album.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #772 on: July 27, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »
It's not necessarily great news to be changing members, but I am not bothered by their drummer leaving. I haven't seen them live but have heard many times that Arin was a perfectly capable drummer, and read in interviews that the drums on Hail To The King were as they were because that's how the band wanted them to be. But Hail To The King was pretty boring and I think the drums were quite a big factor in that. Coming Home and Heretic are great songs, but most of the songs were mediocre and it left a pretty dull impression overall. Even songs I like a lot feel like they could use some more interesting drum parts to take them to the next level, and some of the weaker songs probably wouldn't have felt so monotonous with better drums. The band claimed they intentionally went for very simple drums, and I would probably believe that since they seem to have very deliberately have went in a certain direction for the whole album, so even if the drums are weak maybe Arin wasn't the main one that should be blamed for it. But maybe a different more established or confident drummer wouldn't have let them instruct him to play such simple stuff to the detriment of the album and would have brought more of their own contribution to the songs. It seems like that's exactly what the band didn't want after the Rev though.

Trivium > > > > > Avenged Sevenfold.
AX7 Make The Crusade with every album.
Thanks for these relevant and insightful contributions to the thread.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #773 on: July 27, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »
The drumming on HTTK prevented me from enjoying the album after a few listens. I have no qualms with them being "simple" (hell, Lars never really bothered me in Metallica. Save for the bad albums, where the whole band bothered me), but on HTTK there is no sense of groove, a general lack of punch, lack of speed, and the drums were incredibly monotonous. I frequently listen to CoE-AS-N, but HTTK's drums stick out like a sore thumb to me.

Reading that the guy leaving can actually drum, has me worried actually. Because those creative differences could also mean they actually want the drums to be this shitty for future records. As for Portnoy, I know people are joking and that it is not likely at all, but I for one would love it if that means he can do his thing.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #774 on: July 28, 2015, 12:00:10 AM »
honestly, they probably should have just called it quits after nightmare. the rev was the heart and soul of the band, and without him they're nowhere near as good.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #775 on: July 28, 2015, 06:57:19 AM »
honestly, they probably should have just called it quits after nightmare. the rev was the heart and soul of the band, and without him they're nowhere near as good.

Interesting thought. Jason Newsted said himself that he always thought (before he joined) that Metallica should stop after Cliff died. I think both bands would be thought of today as top-tier metal bands whose careers were cut off too short if they had stopped.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #776 on: July 28, 2015, 08:11:04 AM »

Interesting thought. Jason Newsted said himself that he always thought (before he joined) that Metallica should stop after Cliff died. I think both bands would be thought of today as top-tier metal bands whose careers were cut off too short if they had stopped.

Probably not in the case of Sevenfold. They are an extremely polarizing band in my experience. The people I know who listen to them absolutely love them but everyone else hates them. Nightmare got some people interested but Hail to the King is the album that started to convince people for some reason.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #777 on: July 28, 2015, 09:34:49 AM »
I mean, they've topped the Billboard charts twice in a row, and were close a few other times. They're definitely regarded as popular and one of the most important mainstream metal bands around, regardless of whether or not HTTK was any good.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #778 on: July 28, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »
also, something i just realized, i wonder how much a record contract was part of the decision to keep going. whether or not they wanted to continue, they could have been contractually obligated to do some more albums. as one of the more popular 'metal' bands today, a label would be foolish to let them just go.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #779 on: July 29, 2015, 08:50:04 AM »
Well they are definitely popular, as in a lot of people listen to them and go to their shows. There's a bit of a difference though between that sort of popularity and "internet popularity" - one is about having more people that are fans of something, the other is about having less people that hate something.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #780 on: July 29, 2015, 12:00:21 PM »
Hell yeah they're popular. Look at their stage props. A big skeleton on a kings chair, pyro, all that fun stuff.  What's funny is the last time I saw them for uproar, they seemed like they weren't into it, kinda like going through the motions.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #781 on: July 29, 2015, 02:21:19 PM »
Hell yeah they're popular. Look at their stage props. A big skeleton on a kings chair, pyro, all that fun stuff.  What's funny is the last time I saw them for uproar, they seemed like they weren't into it, kinda like going through the motions.

Well when they played Uproar, it was still pretty soon after The Rev's passing. They were still getting used to playing without their brother. I saw them twice last year and they put on an incredible show both times.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: July 30, 2015, 03:51:07 AM »

Thanks for these relevant and insightful contributions to the thread.

:biggrin: I thought I was in the AMob thread.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #783 on: September 08, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »
So Jr. is a big A7X fan and in the couple years he's been playing guitar, he's picked up a number of tunes and plays them a good bit.  He doesn't have solos and such down, but has all the basic song frameworks together and such.

So he has me play along to some of them and I pick them up as we're playing, but I'm going to try to get myself a little more on board, so I can really get into it when we do these songs.  I read some of the early commentary in this thread and have a general idea of what people appear to like and not like, but I'm not going to let that influence me.  I listened to City of Evil this morning and while it's mostly good, the last couple of tracks kinda lost me.  Maybe I just need to listen again or something.  Not sure.  I think I will move chronologically through the discography though and see how things strike me.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #784 on: September 08, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »
Has been my favorite band for over two years (around the release of Nightmare), and I think I'm in the vast minority when I say Hail to the King has brought me back to the band a bit, I went to see them live on the HttK tour and they were amazing, playing songs from pretty much their whole discography, two best openers I could've wished for (Shepherd of Fire -> Critical Acclaim), and on top of that, a new drummer who is full of energy, does everything he has to perform perfectly, with a great drum solo on top of that. Have they become a bit generic with their new album? Maybe, but I thought it is a nice change, besides, they seem to charish their old stuff just as much as their fans do, judging from the live shows.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #785 on: October 01, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
Looks likes they do have a new drummer in place.  Will eventually be announced.

https://loudwire.com/avenged-sevenfold-confirm-new-drummer-in-place/

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #786 on: November 03, 2015, 12:43:19 PM »
A7X?
Love them! Next to DT, of course.
Fav album would be Waking the Fallen, City, Self titled, then the rest. Absolutely love Shadows' scream though it spooked me out at first. Imagine listening to second heartbeat for the first time. *shudders*
I love it now, though.
Glad to be back.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #787 on: November 03, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »
So apparently they're gonna announce their new drummer tomorrow on the Talk is Jericho podcast.

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: November 03, 2015, 12:54:45 PM »
Mike Portnoy :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #789 on: November 03, 2015, 12:58:18 PM »
Mike Portnoy :lol
:lol

I'm pretty stoked for the new drummer announcement, maybe we finally get to see Lars Ulrich on two different bands at the same festival next summer!

Oh and anyone interested, I'm holding an A7X survivor (probably starting somewhere next week) over at the Poll/Survivors subthread, starting from Waking the Fallen as there probably isn't enough of a fanbase for Trumpet.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #790 on: November 03, 2015, 01:02:56 PM »
A Little Piece of Heaven > The rest of AX7 discography combined  ;D

But seriously, I love that crazy insane song, the video also was a wicked threat. The self titled is their best album for me, with Nightmare they kept the level high but Hail to the King already seems one of those albums that while being good, lacks that "whoa" factor... wouldn't mind to hear another truly kickass album from them.

Don't care for their looks but the singer has one hell of a voice, saw them live at a festival before Iron Maiden back in 2008, damn if he's good.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #791 on: November 03, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »
 :rollin
That reminds me, have you seen the a7x vs dt youtube video by the saiyan vevo? Hilarious!
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #792 on: November 03, 2015, 01:07:50 PM »

But seriously, I love that crazy insane song, the video also was a wicked threat. The self titled is their best album for me, with Nightmare they kept the level high but Hail to the King already seems one of those albums that while being good, lacks that "whoa" factor... wouldn't mind to hear another truly kickass album from them.

Don't care for their looks but the singer has one hell of a voice, saw them live at a festival before Iron Maiden back in 2008, damn if he's good.
Must have stabbed her fifty fucking times! Ripped her heat out right before her eyes, eyes over easy! Eat it, eat it, eat it!!!
Glad to be back.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #793 on: November 03, 2015, 01:10:02 PM »

Agree with basically all of this, though City of Evil isn't mentioned and that's also great. First couple of albums are pretty meh.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 03:46:38 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: November 03, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »
I liked one of their albums but then HTTK :| wtf was that ?!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #795 on: November 03, 2015, 01:45:07 PM »
For me it is something like this: City is fantastic, Nightmare is great, self titled is good. HTTK is dissapointing, but solid. The older albums are hit or miss for me on song by song basis. 

Hail to the Kind is frustrating to me as I really love the vocals and overall song structures, but the music feels like it misses something (that something mostly being the drums). Instrumentally no groove or standout moments there, but not really bad either.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #796 on: November 03, 2015, 01:53:34 PM »
Hail to the King were all songs that I very much enjoyed in the beginning but had no relisten value or something, I rarely listen to any of the songs anymore.

City of Evil, self-titled, Nightmare and Waking the Fallen are my faves, Hail to the King is miles below those, but still alright.

Revisited STST a month ago or so and it wasn't too bad, but still not for me, it's like what WTF would have been if they stitched it together in a week.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:01:59 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: November 03, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
Without having listened to Seventh Trumpet, I can say that I enjoy all of their albums, obviously some more than others.  My rankings:

City of Evil
Self Titled
Waken the Fallen
Nightmare
Hail to the King (which I enjoy, its just their worst release)

I also think the Diamonds in the Rough disc is really good, those b-sides are awesome. If I had to include this it would be above Waken the Fallen.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #798 on: November 03, 2015, 02:41:39 PM »
Diamonds in the Rough is great, The Fight is one of my favorite songs of the 2007-2008 A7X, but it has too many forgettable tracks on it for me to stand out as a full release.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: November 03, 2015, 02:49:26 PM »
Diamonds in the Rough is great, The Fight is one of my favorite songs of the 2007-2008 A7X, but it has too many forgettable tracks on it for me to stand out as a full release.

Yea, I mean it only has a hand full of original tracks that weren't on the albums.  Those songs are what I am talking about (and I assume you are too).

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #800 on: November 04, 2015, 08:14:16 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/avenged-sevenfold-recruits-ex-bad-religion-drummer-brooks-wackerman/

Gonna have to check out some Bad Religion now. But the last quote from Shadows has me optimistic.

"The idea of the last record was a very stripped-down sound and the idea of the next is a not very stripped-down sound."

HYPED

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: November 04, 2015, 08:19:23 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/avenged-sevenfold-recruits-ex-bad-religion-drummer-brooks-wackerman/

Gonna have to check out some Bad Religion now. But the last quote from Shadows has me optimistic.

"The idea of the last record was a very stripped-down sound and the idea of the next is a not very stripped-down sound."

HYPED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0RL6023q1g

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #802 on: November 04, 2015, 08:27:16 AM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #803 on: November 04, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »
Interesting choice. Bad Religion are absolutely nothing like A7X whatsoever, though they are pretty great.

Not sure Sorrow is a particularly great choice of song from that album, Kotow. Personally I much prefer Epiphany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQFqXDCN80E

EDIT: Or The Defense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-dBscbqy60

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #804 on: November 04, 2015, 02:36:06 PM »
I like the stripped-down sound of the last album. Most metal albums are overproduced nowadays IMO.

What I didn't like was the stripped-down songwriting. The idea of another album with sich songs only with a brickwallwd sound doesn't excite me.