Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 164413 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #735 on: October 09, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »
Thank you Avenged for rocking my face off last night.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #736 on: November 11, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »
Google Music suggested A7X, so I'm listening to it right now. I just arrived at "This means war". WTF? How much did they have to pay Metallica for that one?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #737 on: November 11, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afgFcaXeerQ

By the way, don't bother with the new album. Check out City of Evil instead.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #738 on: November 11, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »
Yeah fuck that, I'mma go listen to solitary shell.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #739 on: November 11, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »
Google Music suggested A7X, so I'm listening to it right now. I just arrived at "This means war". WTF? How much did they have to pay Metallica for that one?
The new album really doesn't represent them well, in my opinion.

I mean, I'm not sure you'll like their other albums, but they're far more unique and interesting. The latest one is mostly rip-offs of 80s bands.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #740 on: November 11, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afgFcaXeerQ

By the way, don't bother with the new album. Check out City of Evil instead.
LOL

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #741 on: November 11, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Well, at least, City of Evil has some good moments ( they only last a couple of seconds though)  :rollin
It's the case of "there are much, MUCH better 00's heavy metal bands out there", Rumborak.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #742 on: August 28, 2014, 01:33:29 PM »
Just picked up the Re-release of Waking The Fallen. The 2nd disc with demos and live tracks is pretty cool.

Hearing the orginal intro title track I kinda wish thats what had used. And Chapter Four sounded a lot different before. Interesting twists. Worth a listen for anybody who liked WTF.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #743 on: September 15, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »
Does anyone know why Mike Portnoy got to play with the band?
I mean, he gave an interview saying he was just there to continue the Rev´s legacy and translate his ideas as found in the demo recordings of the Nightmare album.
Was it an invitation from the band? Something like: "you are the only drummer in the world that can play what Rev was playing"?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: September 15, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »
I believe he was the Rev's favorite drummer so the band asked him to join for the album and tour.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #745 on: September 16, 2014, 06:35:36 AM »
I believe he was the Rev's favorite drummer so the band asked him to join for the album and tour.

That's correct, and apparently the Rev and Portnoy had emailed each other sporadically so there was an established connection

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #746 on: September 16, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
Interesting. I didn´t know that. Thank you!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #747 on: May 13, 2015, 06:40:25 AM »
For those that didn't yet see it, A7X meets Katy Perry (may be slightly questionable for work, with a decent amount of Katy Perry skin).  Surprisingly well put together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgO7i40-Ce8

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #748 on: May 13, 2015, 08:31:31 AM »
For those that didn't yet see it, A7X meets Katy Perry (may be slightly questionable for work, with a decent amount of Katy Perry skin).  Surprisingly well put together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgO7i40-Ce8

Well that was something... It's cool how well the solo fit. I kinda wish he found a way to fit the harmonized solo in there.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: May 13, 2015, 09:38:47 AM »
 :lol that was pretty good

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #750 on: July 23, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
So apparently they're moving on without Arin, their new drummer. Per their Facebook page. Hope it means they move back to a more Avenged Sevenfold kind of sound, instead of whatever HTTK was. The run of City of Evil -> A7X -> Nightmare was amazing! Then they put out the most boring album I've heard from a metal band in a while. Not entirely bad, it had some catchy stuff, but boring compared with the classics.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #751 on: July 23, 2015, 11:47:04 AM »
Agreed. Although I'm not sure how much of an effect the drummer had on that. Sounds like they all wanted to make generic Metallica ripoffs.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by this news. I was under the impression that they had no intention of finding a permanent replacement for Rev and were going to have have a different drummer on each album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Deathless

« Reply #752 on: July 23, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »
I haven't listened to the album in a while, but I wasn't that impressed with the drumming on HTTK. The weird part is, Arin is a really damn good drummer, so it didn't make sense at the time. Maybe he gave some pushback on the drums or new musical direction and they didn't want to hear it?

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #753 on: July 23, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »
Very good news :)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #754 on: July 23, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
Ridiculous. They claim that his style didn't fit their music but how can they know that when they essentially told him to play simple back beats? The kid is a phenomenal drummer but they severely limited him. We all loved Jimmy, but sadly he's gone and never coming back. The best thing for them to do is let whoever they have as their drummer play in his or her own style. It could end up working really well and lead to some great music. There's no reason to limit what any member of the band is doing.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #755 on: July 23, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »
You know, I was sitting here thinking if there was one thing that A7X has over Metallica is that A7X handled how they go about replacing their deceased member a hell of a lot better than how Metallica replaced Cliff Burton.  Now, I hear this news and I don't know what to think regarding how they went about replacing their deceased member/friend/etc. 

In a way, it could be another parallel to Metallica, much like A7X's whole history.  That stated, instead of lowering the bass (which obviously would not highlight Jason Newsted well) which Metallica did for ...and Justice for All, A7X wanted their guy to play simple beats (which could restrict the musician and not really showcase what he could be capable off) for Hail to the King.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #756 on: July 23, 2015, 09:44:57 PM »
you don't play drum parts as simple as the stuff on HTTK without being instructed (or forced) to do so. "not fitting their style" = arin tried to actually play something other than the most simple thing possible and they don't approve.

sad really

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: July 24, 2015, 05:27:50 AM »
In a way, it could be another parallel to Metallica, much like A7X's whole history.  That stated, instead of lowering the bass (which obviously would not highlight Jason Newsted well) which Metallica did for ...and Justice for All, A7X wanted their guy to play simple beats (which could restrict the musician and not really showcase what he could be capable off) for Hail to the King.

I never understood why a band would do this.  I guess egos play a role, but seriously, you let it affect YOUR music.  Whatever, maybe MP comes back.  Like the rest, I can't say the drumming on HTTK was memorable, although I did enjoy the album overall.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #758 on: July 24, 2015, 06:36:50 AM »
Bring back MP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #759 on: July 24, 2015, 12:19:53 PM »
MP going back to A7X is a horrible idea. 

I wrote this on the MP board back in 2010 when the idea was first brought up, and I still feel exactly the same way today...

Quote from: jammindude

I really don't think it will happen...if it did, it would be a bad idea.  And here's why. 

Everyone remember "that guy" in high school?   The one that you looked up to so much when you were a freshman?   

Then after he graduated...he kept coming back to hang out with all the underclassmen who looked up to him.    And all these underclassmen who looked up to him thought it was so cool at first because they are actually hanging out with this guy they always looked up to....he was like "their hero".... 

...but then he just keeps hanging out at the school.   

...and the guy thinks it's really cool hanging out with all these people who look up to him...and it makes him feel really special... 

...but pretty soon everyone is like...looking at everyone else trying to figure out WHY this guy is still hanging out with all the underclassmen...and it just starts to seem weird. 

It's like that.  That's why Mike should move on and do his own thing, and not wear out his welcome among the underclassmen with a hero complex.   It would just get weird. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #760 on: July 24, 2015, 12:32:57 PM »
Actually....I go one better and claim that the reason A7X and MP split in the first place is because of exactly the scenario I just described.    That was the way it felt to me when it first went down anyway.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: July 24, 2015, 12:38:26 PM »
Well except these are professional musicians, not kids in a school yard.  I get the point you are trying to make, but there is nothing weird if he were to play with them again.  My comment about him was mostly joking cause I just don't see it happening, but if he did, it would be fine by me.  At least his drumming was pretty solid on Nightmare.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #762 on: July 24, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »
Yeah clearly I was being completely sarcastic about MP too. I don't think they would bring him back, move forward not back.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #763 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:27 PM »
Yeah clearly I was being completely sarcastic about MP too. I don't think they would bring him back, move forward not back.

I got your sarcasm.  ;D I was just following up because I know there are actually some people who really feel that way....though I have no idea why.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: July 24, 2015, 01:21:43 PM »
Hey there are still some people who think MP is definitely coming back to Dream Theater :neverusethis:

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #765 on: July 25, 2015, 03:08:16 PM »
I mean, the band told Arin to play with "groove" and to play very simply, so it's not his fault HTTK was the blandest thing they've ever released.

Sadly after the release of that album I haven't been super interested in the band. I'm really hoping they turn away from whatever was driving their decision making on HTTK and go back towards a more COE or WTF sound. I would hate to see my former favorite band descend deeper down the rabbit hole.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: July 25, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »
Trivium > > > > > Avenged Sevenfold.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #767 on: July 25, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »
Trivium > > > > > Avenged Sevenfold.

Trivium is great but nowhere near Sevenfold's level.

I mean, the band told Arin to play with "groove" and to play very simply, so it's not his fault HTTK was the blandest thing they've ever released.

Sadly after the release of that album I haven't been super interested in the band. I'm really hoping they turn away from whatever was driving their decision making on HTTK and go back towards a more COE or WTF sound. I would hate to see my former favorite band descend deeper down the rabbit hole.

The thing with Sevenfold is that they never make the same album twice. They're constantly changing their sound while still keeping their signature style. I can almost guarantee that the next album won't sound like HTTK or any of their other albums for that matter.

-MirrorMask

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #768 on: July 25, 2015, 08:21:45 PM »
I agree, I just hope they change it up for the better. Who would've expected HTTK after hearing the song they released after Nightmare, "Not Ready to Die" ? It was heavy, engaging, sort of progressive, and had screaming again. It sounded like classic A7X. And then they release HTTK, which was a combo of A7X on auto-pilot and shameless "inspiration" from classic metal bands.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #769 on: July 27, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
I agree, I just hope they change it up for the better. Who would've expected HTTK after hearing the song they released after Nightmare, "Not Ready to Die" ? It was heavy, engaging, sort of progressive, and had screaming again. It sounded like classic A7X. And then they release HTTK, which was a combo of A7X on auto-pilot and shameless "inspiration" from classic metal bands.

Not Ready to Die also had great drumming. While not necessarily the most creative drum parts, Arin really showed his chops on that one.

The funny thing with Hail to the King is that the best song from the album is St. James which is an iTunes exclusive bonus track. I can't imagine what compelled them to omit that song from the standard version of the album in favor of something like Doing Time or Planets (which is the first song by them that I don't even enjoy a little bit).

-MirrorMask