Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 162806 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #1015 on: November 07, 2016, 01:50:42 PM »
I have no problem with the drums on this album, at all!! Its nice to hear Brooks let loose a bit after being in Bad Religion for so long (I love BR, for the record).

He can smash the shit out of anything as far as I'm concerned.

I love BR as well (saw them and they were awesome a month ago) and find it so interesting that this guy as good as he is was playing such simple music in BR.

Yea dude, I didn't realise he was capable of playing like this!!

I haven't seen Bad Religion live for about 5 to be honest. I'd like to see them again, before they get too old.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1016 on: November 07, 2016, 01:52:58 PM »
I have no problem with the drums on this album, at all!! Its nice to hear Brooks let loose a bit after being in Bad Religion for so long (I love BR, for the record).

I love BR as well (saw them and they were awesome a month ago) and find it so interesting that this guy as good as he is was playing such simple music in BR.

I haven't seen Bad Religion live for about 5 to be honest. I'd like to see them again, before they get too old.

They are already so old and look it as well, but damn that show was so much fun.  I'd definitely see them when they come my way again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1017 on: November 07, 2016, 01:54:33 PM »
Bad Religion have some great tracks.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1018 on: November 07, 2016, 01:59:25 PM »
They definitely have that 'Dad on stage' vibe.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1019 on: November 07, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »

Nailed it!
Saw them a couple times and I always thought the singer had that  "just rolled up to the venue in a mini-van after dropping the kids off at soccer practice" feel.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: November 07, 2016, 03:16:59 PM »

Nailed it!
Saw them a couple times and I always thought the singer had that  "just rolled up to the venue in a mini-van after dropping the kids off at soccer practice" feel.

And he pulls it off so well since he speaks really well and is highly intelligent.  He also wears this old worn out looking polo shirt while orchestrating a mosh pit.  It's great if you ask me.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1021 on: November 07, 2016, 03:54:34 PM »

Nailed it!

And he pulls it off so well since he speaks really well and is highly intelligent.  He also wears this old worn out looking polo shirt while orchestrating a mosh pit.  It's great if you ask me.

Haha yes!! I've only seen him in a polo shirt.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1022 on: November 07, 2016, 04:03:28 PM »
Yeah Greg Graffin takes that stage and dominates it with his old man persona  :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1023 on: November 08, 2016, 12:01:21 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVdcSmGeCRU
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1024 on: November 08, 2016, 01:22:07 AM »

I've got all of Bad Religion's albums and know he is capable of playing fast, punk rock style drums. That song shows he is a good drummer but it's not particularly flashy.

I love that BR are still releasing solid albums at their age  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: November 08, 2016, 05:12:33 AM »

I've got all of Bad Religion's albums and know he is capable of playing fast, punk rock style drums. That song shows he is a good drummer but it's not particularly flashy.

I love that BR are still releasing solid albums at their age  :metal

Nice and yea I agree about the fast but not flashy which is essentially describing a lot of punk music.  I always thought Bad Religion was one of the better musically bands in the punk genre mostly because they included guitar solos. 

I've been a fan since I was in 7th grade when I was much more into punk music so I haven't really followed their newer albums like True North, but I've seen them a couple times over the last few years.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1026 on: November 08, 2016, 08:10:25 AM »
A good example of Wackerman's drumming ability is his work with Tenacious D. Way more advanced than anything he did with BR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HSSm2k0Y9Q

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: November 08, 2016, 08:42:19 AM »
A good example of Wackerman's drumming ability is his work with Tenacious D. Way more advanced than anything he did with BR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HSSm2k0Y9Q

This is awesome.  Love the D  :biggrin:

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1028 on: November 08, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1029 on: November 09, 2016, 04:17:53 PM »
My first listen for this band and the singer sounds like Axl Rose.  Loving the cd!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: November 09, 2016, 04:49:03 PM »
His drumming on "Sorrow" by Bad Religion is good. Very Stewart Copeland.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1031 on: November 09, 2016, 10:47:37 PM »
My first listen for this band and the singer sounds like Axl Rose.  Loving the cd!

That was my first thought too (when I first heard Nightmare). I found that I noticed the similarity less & less as time went on though.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1032 on: November 10, 2016, 12:06:57 AM »
Actually the opposite for me. The more I listen to them (especially recently) the more I notice him sounding like a cross between Axl and James Hetfield.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1033 on: November 10, 2016, 07:17:09 AM »
Actually the opposite for me. The more I listen to them (especially recently) the more I notice him sounding like a cross between Axl and James Hetfield.

Yes. Pretty much this. Depending on the song he usually either sounds like he's trying to be Het or Axl, it's something that always distracted me a bit from their stuff. That being said, The Stage is continuing to grow on me, there's some really good stuff on there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: November 12, 2016, 07:49:36 AM »
Giving my first shot at rankings, this album has some really diverse tracks so still a bit hard to rank:

Exist
The Stage
Higher
Paradigm
Roman Sky
Fermi Paradox
God Damn
Sunny Disposition
Creating God
Angels
Simulation

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1035 on: November 12, 2016, 01:52:47 PM »
Exist
The Stage
Simulation
Fermi Paradox
Paradigm
Sunny Disposition
Roman Sky
God Damn
Higher
Angels
Creating God

I waited to do the this, but it's still almost impossible to do a ranking for me.
I'm really surprised, after Nightmare and especially after the uninspired HTTK I thought that the band was uncapable of writing really good stuff without The Rev as songwriter. This album for me is a contender with CoE and WTF for their best album.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1036 on: November 12, 2016, 06:10:56 PM »
Honestly,  i can't listen to Exist past the 7 min mark any longer. Just way too slow for me,  and then it just seems to drag on once it picks up again at the spoken word section. It starts so balls out though.  Kinda disappointing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1038 on: December 23, 2016, 08:06:49 AM »
I think the whole "We try to be different than everyone else in the 2016 metal scene" attitude is a bit pretentious, this looks cool though, I too am a huge fan of Cirque du Soleil :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1039 on: December 23, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
He is sort of right that they don't fit in. The metal purists shun them, but they definitely deserve recognition for continuing to make music and evolve while many other bands from the same era burnt out long ago. They are't really following any scene, just doing their own thing. Can't really think of any comparable groups.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1040 on: December 29, 2016, 06:45:26 AM »
Just wanted to say that I've listened better to the album and I think it's one of the best in 2016. Possibly among my favorites from them, too.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: December 29, 2016, 06:48:26 AM »
Admittedly i've not heard a lot of AX7 but they definitely do sound like a lot of bands around at the moment.

Also it's a bit rich saying you want to be different than everyone when your last album sounded SO MUCH like Metallica.

There's not been an AX7 thats stuck out for me like " oh. ok. that's a great song ".

Like an " In Waves " or "Pulling Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr " or a " The Wolf Is Loose " or a " Blood & Thunder ".

It's all a bit bleh for me...And yes I have heard several of their songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: January 07, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/avenged-sevenfold/2017/3arena-dublin-ireland-3fb4d3b.html

First set list of the tour.  Kind of surprised to see 5 of the 6 first songs from The Stage represented but nothing from the second half of the album.  I do hope they perform Exist at some point.  I'd love Roman Sky as well.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1043 on: January 07, 2017, 07:32:46 PM »
I'm interested to see more videos from this tour since they worked with Cirque du Soleil producers to do something that is unique to A7X.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #1044 on: January 08, 2017, 05:59:41 AM »
So I absolutely LOVE The Stage and especially Exist... and since I can't play it on the guitar Ï thought I'd give it a try on trumpet and horn ^^
I also made a music video to go with it ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm-8ayM9Zng

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1045 on: January 08, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5DkL7d2TE

Man, I love this performance of Nightmare from last night. Brooks can do the opening fills better than MP, which I don't mean to slight MP, but he could never really seem to replicate the double pedal work live as well, Brooks' just seem cleaner.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: February 21, 2017, 03:15:01 PM »
https://avengedsevenfold.com/news/message-from-avenged-sevenfold-stuttgart-germany/

We have some very sad news to report. Last night after our show in Stuttgart, Germany, a 26 year-old stagehand fell from the rafters while breaking down our stage. He fell a very far distance onto a 19 year-old man on the local crew. Tragically, the 19 year-old died from his injuries. The other man is now in critical condition at the hospital.
This is beyond heartbreaking to everyone in the band and on our crew. We all send our thoughts and prayers to the man in the hospital, both families involved, all of the local Live Nation crew and everyone else whose lives have been affected by this terrible accident. We love our crew so much as well as the many local staff who are essential to our show every night wherever we are around the world. This is such a stark reminder of how quickly an accident can happen and lives shattered in the process. When we hear more we will update you.

Wow, that's terrible.  :(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: May 15, 2017, 02:44:53 PM »
It seems the surprise release of The Stage was not the best decision for the band...
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/avenged-sevenfold-singer-on-the-stage-albums-surprise-release-i-dont-know-if-it-was-the-greatest-plan-in-the-world/

Anyway, I saw them last night open for Metallica and really enjoyed the show.  I thought they sounded and performed much better than Metallica.  The stadium was less than half full for them though and it's always weird seeing a headline act play while it's still light out.  However, they were great and used lots of pyro on stage which always gets me excited.  Nothing crazy about the short set list, just wish they wouldn't do a drum solo in such a situation and play another song.  For Mother's Day, they performed Hail to the King as Hail to the Queen  :metal
Hail to the Queen Live Metlife Stadium

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1048 on: October 05, 2017, 07:06:33 PM »
Old thread, but would like to let everyone know that Avenged Sevenfold is starting a headline tour in January 2018.  The kickoff show is in Nashville Tennessee at the Bridgestone Arena with guests Breaking Benjamin and Bullet for my Valentine. I have not heard either of the two backup bands, but will have to check them out.

Those that missed them with Metallica may get another chance.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: October 05, 2017, 07:14:07 PM »
Yea, I love Breaking Benjamin and would love to catch this tour for the headline show of A7X (since them opening for Metallica was a short set).  Since they say theyve only announced the first set of NA dates, I am hoping they bring the same bands to NJ or NYC.