Author Topic: My concert ticket dilemma  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
My concert ticket dilemma
« on: July 24, 2010, 08:36:59 AM »
I want to go to the Rush concert in DC in September, but I want good seats.  I got premo seats at PN '09 for the first time, and the one thing I noticed after the DT/IM show is that it is well worth the investment to get good seats.  I'm even willing to pay scalper prices ($300+) for the right seat - but thats the problem - I only need one seat, and all the scalpers at sites like stubhub sell them in pairs, and I'm not buying two seats for myself.  I don't know anyone who is willing to go to the show with me period, let alone pay for seating I desire.  Now, I can still buy a cheap seat on its own - but if I'm going to make the 4 hour drive one way and probably end up staying the night at a hotel - I want to make it worth the experience.  The scalpers aren't willing to split their tickets; I already asked all of them and either got negative or no replies.  As I see it, my options are as follows, and my thoughts on each one:

Buy two good tickets, and try to sell the other one - Too much of an investment and too much risk.  I have bills and a mortgage to pay, I can't afford to lose money on a ticket if I can't sell it.  Also, I can drop $300 or so for a ticket, but $600+ would put a hurtin on my bank account until I get put back on payroll in September.

Try to buy a good ticket at the show - WILL NOT DO.  I just don't trust those people.  Stubhub offers a 100% guaruntee, which I trust.  Also, the quality of seat offered by a scalper on site might not be as good as I want, and if I'm going to get a crap seat, I might as well buy it from the box office.

Just buy a cheap seat - Last resort.  I realize that seeing Rush is better than not seeing Rush; but considering the time, effort, and money I need to put into just going to see the show period (4+ hour car trip each way, gas, hotel, food, boarding / pet sitter for my dog, loss of two football watching days *YES, IT IS THAT IMPORTANT*), I don't want to look back and lament to myself, "I wish I got better seats.", which I inevitably will if I cheap out.

I hate freaking scalpers.  This would be so much easier if they weren't holding those seats hostage and I could either buy them or just accept that they aren't available...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:00:45 AM by dreamtheatervt »

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: My concert ticket dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:47:09 AM »
You could always see if anyone else wants to go halfsies with you on a double ticket.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »
I don't know anyone willing to go period.  I am going to amend my statement to:

"I don't know anyone who is willing to go to the show with me period, let alone pay for seating I desire."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:11:48 AM »
Some tickets (good ones, most of the time) are often held back until a week or so before the concert date and then released on ticketmaster for sale out of nowhere.  I snagged 3rd row Radiohead tickets a few years back (upgrading us from the 30th row ones we had already...I was lucky to be able to sell the original ones after buying the 3rd row seats) literally a week before the concert.  I would hold out and see if you have the same luck with the Rush concert.  Needing only one ticket, I am sure something good will pop up if you check every day once it gets 14 days or less to the day of the show.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »
Good idea Kev, and thanks for that info.  Hopefully some tix were held back.

You know, this could all be fixed if TempusVox scored me some backstage passes since he knows Geddy and all  ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »
Some tickets (good ones, most of the time) are often held back until a week or so before the concert date and then released on ticketmaster for sale out of nowhere.  I snagged 3rd row Radiohead tickets a few years back (upgrading us from the 30th row ones we had already...I was lucky to be able to sell the original ones after buying the 3rd row seats) literally a week before the concert.  I would hold out and see if you have the same luck with the Rush concert.  Needing only one ticket, I am sure something good will pop up if you check every day once it gets 14 days or less to the day of the show.

True. For DT in Boston in '05, I bought my tix the day before the show and was like 6 rows back on the aisle on JM's side. Then in '07, I bought tix a week before and we were like 7 rows back, again, on the aisle, on JP's side this time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol