Author Topic: Thin Lizzy...and Gary Moore  (Read 12580 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thin Lizzy...and Gary Moore
« on: July 23, 2010, 06:35:34 AM »
Probably not controversial, but I do think Thin Lizzy could use a lot more love on this board. Amazing band, and incredibly influential to heavy metal, even if they weren't metal.

TAC will love you for this post.   

Absolutely. If I can only take 25 albums to a desert island, 2 of them are Thin Lizzy records..Renegade and Thunder & Lightning.
Rounding out my Top 3 is Bad Reputation.
My Top 5 Thin Lizzy tunes are:
1. The Cowboy Song
2. It's Getting Dangerous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rytGCB3objk&feature=PlayList&p=6FD7CE59AC66ACBD&playnext=1&index=49
3. Southbound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODJP56YfWXY
4. The Sun Goes Down
5. The Boys Are Back In Town

Phil Lynot was too young when he died. He was only 36! I had a poster that I think Guitar Player made hanging up in my room. He had one of those transcendary voices that could really put you in the middle of a song. Songs like Emerald, Mexican Girl, and Dancing In The Moonlight attest to that. I always found it ironic hat the last song on the last Thin Lizzy album was Heart Attack, containing the forshadowing "Mama, I'm dying" line.

And I also have to mention Gary Moore, who filled in for Thin Lizzy on numerous occasions. As far as I know, Phil's last recordings were the great Out In The Fields and Military Man off of Gary Moore's Run For Cover. But Gary Moore is easily my favorite guitar player. ThoughI've never heard John Petrucci mention him as an influence, I hear a lot of Gary Moore in JP's playing, partyicularly the slow rich toneful solos.
His 1983's Corridors Of Power is also a Top 25 album for me. It contains the wicked Cold Hearted and the brilliant I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow.
In 1990 Gary Moore started playing bues rock. Many, like me, wish he'd go back to playing hard rock...but there have been some great tunes from this era too.
Here's Cold Day In Hell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbKqTsQ3UIw&feature=related

Gary Moore was the opening band at my first concert on 6/25/83. In his band was Neil Carter, Neil Murray, and Ian Paice. Amazing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Seventh Son

Re: Thin Lizzy...and Gary Moore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:46:59 AM »
No Emerald?  :(
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 06:49:48 AM »
Well, I listed my Top 5. Emerald is Top 10, just not Top 5....

He had one of those transcendary voices that could really put you in the middle of a song. Songs like Emerald, Mexican Girl, and Dancing In The Moonlight attest
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 06:58:05 AM »
I love Thin Lizzy, a classic rock band. Great songs, lovely twin lead guitars, and high energy performances.

Great to see Southbound on your list TAC. And we used to play Cowboy Song live when my band did covers.

*Appreciated*
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:01:46 AM »
For being a fogey, it's surprising how little I know of a band like Thin Lizzy.   I can literally only name 1-2 songs that I've heard.  It's like a little blind spot that occurred for me when I shut out mid-70s/early 80s hard-rock from my listening habits in favor of trendier pastures.  Same could be said for UFO and the Scorpions till TAC introduced me to them this past year.  All those bands just seemed like old-hat to me at the time, but it now appears that I missed the boat on at least a couple of them.

That said, I've started to sample some Thin Lizzy, and at first glance they appear to be solid, quality hard-rock (if not a bit straightforward for my tastes) played by some excellent musicians.  The drummer (whoever he is) appears to be quite good!  And I never even realized that Gary Moore had roots with this band.  Will investigate further.  
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
One of my favorite hard rock bands, I think only Led Zeppelin can measure with their awesomeness. The lyrics are unique, guitar harmonies are something special as well, and I think Brian Downey is one of the greatest drummers of all time. My favorite albums are Jailbreak, Bad reputation and Black rose, the one with Gary Moore. Also, I'm very, very fond of the Eric Bell era, especially the debut album. That period has a really cool vibe.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:28:33 AM »
LV, Thin Lizzy had a revolving door of lead guitarists. Brain Robertson, Snowy White, and eventually John Sykes. But the basic lineup of Lynott, drummer Brian Downey, and guitarist Scott Gorham was very stable. Gary Moore and Lynott go way back and often filled in when Lynott was in a jam. He only plays on Night Life and Black Rose.

Check out this piece of goodness graciousness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpJ9k3WXgt0&feature=PlayList&p=03EE412B4EACCB4C&playnext=1&index=9
The title track to gary's 1st solo album performed by Lynott, Scott Gorham, Don Airey, and COZY POWELL!

Also Out In The Fields https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6gycKFNQkA&feature=related

Gary with Thin Lizzy (Mark Nauseef filling in on drums) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgST27FIzNg&feature=related

Phil Lynott is not unlike Phil Mogg. The guy can write lyrics, tell stories, and has a voice that makes you feel you are in the song.

Also Ludwig Van..Greg Lake? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCXJvTna7A&feature=PlayList&p=7FC74E0A3DA85139&playnext=1&index=22
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:51:31 AM by TAC »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:08:01 AM »
Brian Downey was a genuine badass. 

Cold Sweat
Bad Reputation
Still in Love with You
Hollywood

Impossible to pick a 5th.

Here's a damn fine piece of work:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7YWRxAUtDk
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »
Still In Love With You at Reading '83 was absolutely stellar!

And I love Hollywood.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 09:12:21 AM »
Live And Dangerous is a strong contender for Best Live Album ever.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 09:13:41 AM »
My only problem with L&D is the horrificly obvious "in the studio" Southbound.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 09:13:51 AM »
One of the greatest bands in the History of Rock..they were the pioneers of modern metal.
Lynott was a genius, a poet, and one of the greatest voices in rock history.

Im happy to see them getting some props here.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Brian Downey was a genuine badass. 

Cold Sweat
Bad Reputation
Still in Love with You
Hollywood

Impossible to pick a 5th.

Here's a damn fine piece of work:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7YWRxAUtDk

agreed... Downey was once again in Modern Drummer Mag.. for his technical skill and style..it still is being given props today..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 09:17:01 AM »
I'm one of the very few people who greatly prefer Life to L&D or the other live albums.  Better setlist and the contributions by all the guitarists are stellar. 

Still In Love With You at Reading '83 was absolutely stellar
Is this one of the live albums?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 09:17:19 AM »
My only problem with L&D is the horrificly obvious "in the studio" Southbound.

Wow, never thought about that. Just checked on Wikipedia (yeah I know...) and it say that Southbound "was taken from a sound check onstage in Philadelphia".

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »
I'm one of the very few people who greatly prefer Life to L&D or the other live albums.  Better setlist and the contributions by all the guitarists are stellar. 

Still In Love With You at Reading '83 was absolutely stellar
Is this one of the live albums?

Bart, I also prefer Life. But this kicks all sorts of ass! https://www.amazon.com/BBC-Radio-Live-Thin-Lizzy/dp/B000001LGH/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279898520&sr=1-35

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »
One of my joys was seeing Gary Moore open for Rush on the GUP tour.  I have flashbacks trying to learn songs like Don't Take me For A Looser, Victims Of The Future, Out In The Fields, and my favorite, Empty Rooms in my basement.  Fond memories.

Edit: Man I forgot End Of The World!!!!!!!  Ass Kicking!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 09:33:41 AM »
The non edited version of Empty Rooms has to be heard to be believed. Gary's solo is incredible.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 09:37:52 AM »
The non edited version of Empty Rooms has to be heard to be believed. Gary's solo is incredible.
The solo gives me chills every time I hear it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 09:56:04 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMF_qBnhcUs
Just shut your eyes and listen to this solo in the middle of this song...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 09:58:23 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMF_qBnhcUs
Just shut your eyes and listen to this solo in the middle of this song...

Funny you linked it, I youtubed it as soon as I typed my first post on this thread! :laugh:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 10:01:23 AM »
I was blessed to see Thin Lizzy TWICE in the late 70's.. Phil "The Rocker" Lynott was unreal live.. larger than life.. he owned it. The memories are still vivid...his life story is a great read

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 10:07:14 AM »
I recall a blistering version of End of the World on youtube.  Unfortunately, the first 6 minutes or so of the video is a less than thrilling solo. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 02:47:56 PM »
I still think Emerald is Thin Lizzy's best song and one of the best songs ever created. Those guitar solos in the second half of the song send shivers down my spine.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 03:27:11 PM »
Enormous love for Thin Lizzy.  That is all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 03:59:35 PM »
Busted out Jailbreak for the ride to work. Yes, Emerald is awesome as is The Cowboy song.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 06:49:49 PM »
I only have Jailbreak (and Live And Dangerous, but didn't listen to it yet), but I love it and will definitely keep exploring their music.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 06:53:05 PM »
I only have Jailbreak (and Live And Dangerous, but didn't listen to it yet), but I love it and will definitely keep exploring their music.
If it means anything to you, Iron Maiden list Thin Lizzy as one of their biggest influences.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »
If it means anything to you, Iron Maiden list Thin Lizzy as one of their biggest influences.
Yep, that was my original reason for checking them out in the first place  :) James Hetfield of Metallica was also greatly influenced by them.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 03:46:15 AM »
Live And Dangerous is one of my favorite live Albums
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2010, 06:23:54 AM »
Man I love Lizzy and Gary is one of my all time favourite guitar players, he is a God.  Fav Lizzy tracks;

Black Rose
Emerald
Are You Ready
Sun Goes Down
Cold Sweat
Holy War
Johnny
Don't Believe a Word
Massacre

Fav Gary Moore tracks;

Wild Frontier
Over the Hills and Far Away
Thunder Rising
Empty Rooms
Don't Take Me for a Loser
After the War
Victims of the Future
Murder in the Skies
Run For Cover
End of the World

World class music!!!!

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 03:40:54 PM »
Iron Maiden did a great cover of Massacre back in 1988.

I was blessed to see Thin Lizzy TWICE in the late 70's.. Phil "The Rocker" Lynott was unreal live.. larger than life.. he owned it. The memories are still vivid...his life story is a great read

Yes, you are blessed. Where and when?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2010, 09:01:58 PM »
'77 or '78, they played with Kansas and Sammy Hagar, NJ and Philly..
Kansas was the Headliner..Lizzy destroyed, they kicked ass so hard it was mind altering great..
they shaped my musical taste,  ..I think it was Johnny the Fox tour, set list was similar L & D, but I  wish I got
to see  them later as a seasoned fan of theirs.. it was those shows that made me a fan, Boys are Back was huge at the time etc

simply awesome..I remember Lynott's Bass having that spot light like reflecting going with that mirrored pick guard .and how they had such building power, and how Phil got the crowd going on every song.. such cool memories.. Kansas looked flat coming on after..
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 02:18:52 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »
 :metal ( sorry double post.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:13:33 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
Absolutely. If I can only take 25 albums to a desert island, 2 of them are Thin Lizzy records..Renegade and Thunder & Lightning.

Excellent. These are my two favourite Lizzy albums also. Nice to see someone else show some appreciation for Renegade, as that is considered by some to be their weakest album for some strange reason.