Author Topic: Request  (Read 1405 times)

Offline robwebster

Request
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
Right now I'm looking for some slightly melancholy, lonely music to listen to. Don't worry, nothing's happened! Still chipper as ever, but I've got a little thingybob I'm writing, and I found myself listening to Devin Townsend's Ki and thinking "this has put me in the perfect frame of mind for it." However, I don't know much else besides it in that vein, nor do I want to be listening to something that's going to have me cutting myself. Nothing properly depressing, but bittersweet and quite ethereal. I think "bittersweet" is probably the key word, actually.

Like, say, I like that moment in Trainfire where it all goes quiet just as much as I like the slightly sad verses. I've got Spotify so it's just a matter of getting given some band names and pouring their music down my lugholes. I threw on some Signify afterwards and it didn't quite do it. So yeah! Any suggestions would be lush.

Also, it occurred to me that it would be a pretty trivial and crap thread if I just left it at that, so if anyone else has any requests then might be nice to make this into a bit of a one-stop shop for music suggestions. If such a thing doesn't already exist.

Offline porksoda

• Sorry 'bout the window
  • ...what a nice throw
Re: Request
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »
I recommend Chroma Key, and post-black metal era Ulver!

For albums check out Chroma Key's "Dead Air For Radios" and Ulvers "Shadows of The Sun"! None of these albums are on Spotify actually, but some other of their albums are there!

Hope that helps.
https://myspace.com/lobotomitheband

Do you find John Petrucci attractive?

JW...

That's bestiality, and is unrelated to this discussion

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »
Opeth's album Damnation....progressive rock album, no growls, no heavy ass guitar riffs...has quintessential Opeth "autumn" sound tho

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »
I don't really know that much albums similar to Ki. That's definately a special record, and possibly my favorite Devin album, as much as I enjoy his heavy style.

Definately check out Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland nonetheless. It's psychedelic, ethereal music with a mix of electronic wizardry and live instruments. Lots of ethereal vocals, and eastern melodies (I just like those scales, so mysterious). All around just sonically inspiring through and through.

Ulver is great too, indeed. I have heard most albums but the one I know best is 'Perdition City' which is like a film noir in audio form. What an atmosphere.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »
Happiness Is The Road Vol. 1 - Essence by Marillion

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:20:24 PM »

-Marc.

The title track defines bittersweet.

There really isn't another album like Ki anywhere in the universe, but I came in to suggest Chroma Key.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:32:17 PM »

-Marc.

The title track defines bittersweet.

There really isn't another album like Ki anywhere in the universe, but I came in to suggest Chroma Key.

Totally agree! Also, I'll mention Marillion's Brave while I'm at it, and most of Marbles as well. Both albums contain songs that are pretty "bittersweet" sounding. I think Marillion do a good job at achieving that sort of sound - powerful music and emotional lyrics that create something atmospheric yet moving at the same time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »
The Antlers - Hospice
Agalloch - The White (EP)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 02:16:02 AM »
Buckethead-Electric Tears
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 07:54:18 AM »
The 6th minute of 'Only Skin' by Joanna Newsom.  If you're feeling brave.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 08:22:11 AM »
Aha, definitely feeling brave.

I've been looking for an excuse to try out some Marillion for a while, so that'll be my first target. Some of this stuff sounds right outside my comfort zone, but blah! What's comfort? Safe and cuddly, psh. Jam some Shpongle down my throat, lush. Or, very possibly, horrendous. But there's only one way to find out.