Author Topic: 10 things you'll realize when you release an album  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
10 things you'll realize when you release an album
« on: July 21, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »
Disclaimer: This is a shameless cross-post to several forums, but since my original post generated a lot of very interesting discussion with lots of good stories and valuable comments from other musicians, I thought I'd just go ahead and post it here as well:

I'd like to share this little list of things I learned in the six months following the release of my band's debut album. :)

When you release an album, you will realize that...

1. ... relying on online acquaintances to help promote your music (e.g., by writing reviews if they like it) is mostly futile. This can even harm your however loose relationship with people when they disappoint you for no good reason.

2. ... on the other hand, sometimes perfect strangers can become untiring champions of your music which feels just great. :)

3. ... some magazines and review pages can't even be bothered to reply to a promo offer via e-mail. Makes you really want to send them a CD just like that, eh?  :-\

4. ... a large part of many reviews is just a slightly re-phrased version of your official band biography. So better make sure it's well-written. :D

5. ... a surprising percentage of positive (!) reviews doesn't include a single nicely quotable sentence. :(

6. ... even when your guest star is very obviously featured on your entire album, some "professionals" will still write that he "guests on a couple of tracks".  :\

7. ... you were clearly influenced by <insert band you've never heard in your life>.

8. ... some people buy your album (thanks!) but then share their download link with all their friends (WTF?!). It's one form of "support", I guess...  :|

9. ... quite a few of your online acquaintances don't legally obtain music at all (they might make an exception for their favorite band).

10. ... you shouldn't expect people to stick to public announcements like "I will buy this ASAP", especially coming from other musicians.  :lol

To be continued...
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 10 things you'll realize when you release an album
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »
7. ... you were clearly influenced by <insert band you've never heard in your life>.

:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:16:13 PM »

That made me laugh as well.  :lol

But I think people sending their friends your album is a GOOD thing. Honestly, exposure is the most important thing early in a band's career. People are much more likely to buy an album from a new band if they have already heard the album, instead of taking a chance and blowing 10 bucks if they don't like it.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »

Which reminds me, I really gotta check out Canvas Solaris. Maybe
it's the other way round and they've been influenced by us?  ;D

But I think people sending their friends your album is a GOOD thing. Honestly, exposure is the most important thing early in a band's career. People are much more likely to buy an album from a new band if they have already heard the album, instead of taking a chance and blowing 10 bucks if they don't like it.

Hey, I'm really all for people HEARING this music. Please, everyone, listen!
That's why we put the whole album on MySpace. We don't take down any
YouTube uploads of the songs either. That's all fine. People listening can and
will usually lead to people buying. But people who have already downloaded high
quality mp3 files (or even FLACs in our case) are far less likely to buy anything.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:26:57 PM »

Yeah, I always wondered how oft that was the case! :lol

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:06:21 PM »
Btw, my favorite comment so far (from another forum) and a real eye-opener for me:

Quote from: Petebass
Wow times have changed. 10 years ago a topic like this would also have included another 10 items about the crooks that run the record company and the deal they conned you into signing.

So true, and yet I never even considered it since we never had to deal with a record company to start with!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:00:20 PM »
If you were live band (I understand you don't gig regularly), you could add

11. The dozens of people pledging to come see your shows but who somehow ALWAYS have something come up last minute and can't answer their phones the night of the event, leaving you to play nearly empty club.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »

11. The dozens of people pledging to come see your shows but who somehow ALWAYS have something come up last minute and can't answer their phones the night of the event, leaving you to play nearly empty club.

Yeah, I can totally see that happening. We had some people act like that when
it came to attending our little release party gig last November, but thankfully it
was just two and one seriously apologized for it afterwards. I hope the ratio stays
like this when we play some real gigs in the future (possibly later this year). :)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »
Yeah, this stuff is mostly true. I don't really care if people spread my music around, especially since it's free to begin with.

That's right. That's an open invitation to download ALL my music and share it with EVERYONE YOU KNOW. With such freedom at your fingertips, you should totally do it now.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:21:16 PM »

:lol  Reminds me of an interview Mic Todd of Coheed & Cambria did.  The interviewer said how much of Mic's bass playing was influenced by Saga and asked him about it, but all he could say was that he had never heard of that band in his life.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »

Frankly the problem is people shouldn't have to swear they are coming to things or have to answer their phone to answer to you. From personal experience I can say this is VERY annoying. If you're writing or playing music for any other reason than you love the music than you are entering tricky ground.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 10:18:48 AM »

Which reminds me, I really gotta check out Canvas Solaris. Maybe
it's the other way round and they've been influenced by us?  ;D

Hey, I'm really all for people HEARING this music. Please, everyone, listen!
That's why we put the whole album on MySpace. We don't take down any
YouTube uploads of the songs either. That's all fine. People listening can and
will usually lead to people buying. But people who have already downloaded high
quality mp3 files (or even FLACs in our case) are far less likely to buy anything.

Yeah, I can totally see that happening. We had some people act like that when
it came to attending our little release party gig last November, but thankfully it
was just two and one seriously apologized for it afterwards. I hope the ratio stays
like this when we play some real gigs in the future (possibly later this year). :)
Your line wrapping, it broke.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 11:12:16 AM »
10. ... you shouldn't expect people to stick to public announcements like "I will buy this ASAP", especially coming from other musicians.  :lol

Just waiting on some money to come in...I want to get it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »

Frankly the problem is people shouldn't have to swear they are coming to things or have to answer their phone to answer to you. From personal experience I can say this is VERY annoying. If you're writing or playing music for any other reason than you love the music than you are entering tricky ground.

Not my point at all. When you have a show, and you tell your friends and they tell you they will all come, you get really excited. Then the night fo the show, no one shows up and you lose all level of excitement. Sure, they don't owe you anything, but you didn't demand they promise to come.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 01:00:18 PM »
If you're writing or playing music for any other reason than you love the music than you are entering tricky ground.

But if you're playing gigs hoping for people who promised to show up and
in the end nobody does, pretty soon you won't be able to get booked
anywhere, no matter how much you might love the music you'd play.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 01:01:34 PM »

Haha!  :D I believe you, I really do.  :smiley:  I just know some people whose promises go back more than half a year.  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 01:03:12 PM »
In my personal case the problem is people don't ask you if they are going to come and then leave with a "maybe". They bug you and bug you and bug you until the point where you just say yes whether you plan to show up or not.

For the record, I did end up buying the CD, even broke my rule of how much I'll pay ($15) to get it here in America.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
In my personal case the problem is people don't ask you if they are going to come and then leave with a "maybe". They bug you and bug you and bug you until the point where you just say yes whether you plan to show up or not.

Did you tell them all this in such clear terms? Maybe sometimes it's better to just say no...

For the record, I did end up buying the CD, even broke my rule of how much I'll pay ($15) to get it here in America.

Excellent, thanks! :tup

It's $15 at CD Baby, but of course that doesn't yet include shipping
costs. I hope you found the CD artwork and booklet worth it!  :smiley:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 09:00:51 AM »

Haha!  :D I believe you, I really do.  :smiley:  I just know some people whose promises go back more than half a year.  :lol
:lol I read the review that was cross-posted from your new FB group and progarchives, and I am more pumped for your CD. :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »
I like the list.  A nice blend of humor and sad reality, so to speak.