Author Topic: What genres of music generally turn you off?  (Read 14736 times)

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Re: What genres of music generally turn you off?
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2010, 08:06:50 AM »
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 08:46:17 AM »
Agreed with Sigz and lateralus.

Plus, posting "progressive metal" here makes you so cool that the whole continent starts freezing.
Shut the fuck up.

Obviously I would say the opposite of what I really believe just to look cool, right? 

If you said you hated rap music, would you rather I say your just being cliche or whatever, or actually take your word for it?  Anyway, I promise you I wouldn't say progressive metal just to look cool.  Happy?

Offline ehra

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2010, 08:48:21 AM »
Fuck up the shut.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2010, 08:49:37 AM »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2010, 08:52:05 AM »
Agreed with Sigz and lateralus.

Plus, posting "progressive metal" here makes you so cool that the whole continent starts freezing.

Not my fault the genre sucks.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »

Not my fault the genre sucks.

;D  ;D  ;D

I guess he's saying that to look cool too?

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »

Why do you assume people can't mean that they don't care for it without trying to be cool or edgy? It's a Dream Theater forum, yes, but there's plenty of users here that haven't ever been huge fans of the genre otherwise (BVD and GuitarCozmo come to mind).

And if that was a shot at me, I know it may seem that I come across as aggressive towards the entire genre, but much of my favorite bands are considered progressive rock/metal - Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Tool, Coheed, The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, BTBAM, Riverside, etc. - it's just bands in the vein of Vanden Plas and Circus Maximus (though A Darkened Mind is a great song) that I don't care for.

This.  There's a difference between good progressive metal and bad progressive metal.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2010, 09:12:08 AM »

Why do you assume people can't mean that they don't care for it without trying to be cool or edgy? It's a Dream Theater forum, yes, but there's plenty of users here that haven't ever been huge fans of the genre otherwise (BVD and GuitarCozmo come to mind).

And if that was a shot at me, I know it may seem that I come across as aggressive towards the entire genre, but much of my favorite bands are considered progressive rock/metal - Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Tool, Coheed, The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, BTBAM, Riverside, etc. - it's just bands in the vein of Vanden Plas and Circus Maximus (though A Darkened Mind is a great song) that I don't care for.

This.  There's a difference between good progressive metal and bad progressive metal.
You're not cool, ya know.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »
(c)rap

Oh, one of those :yeahright

No offense meant.  I do literally mean crap.  I have a dirty little secret.  I have "If I Had No Loot" on my iPod.  No, it's techincally not rap, so I'll offer another:  "Bring the Noise".  The version with Anthrax.  It's totally rap, by one of the most well-known rap outfits ever.  But it rocks also.  I'm referring to 99% of the other stuff that, by my personal tastes, really IS crap.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2010, 09:16:42 AM »

Agreed.  I'm Darkes, and I say to join the cool kids you must hide your true love for progressive metal by simply saying that you don't favor the genre.  Of course it's just to look cool, because deep down, everyone HAS to love it, amirite?  

Offline ehra

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2010, 09:27:36 AM »
*snip*

I was mocking you for getting so worked up over such a small comment.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2010, 09:38:32 AM »

Agreed.  I'm Darkes, and I say to join the cool kids you must hide your true love for progressive metal by simply saying that you don't favor the genre.  Of course it's just to look cool, because deep down, everyone HAS to love it, amirite?  

edit: nevermind, I thought you were actually Darkes posting :P

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2010, 10:10:03 AM »
This.  There's a difference between good progressive metal and bad progressive metal.
And that's the point exactly. ::) Sorry, but you won't tell me that it's anything else than an attempt to look cool by saying progressive metal sucks, when immediately afterwards you go listing "exceptions" which would make a nice list. Or again you'll maybe go by the awesome logic that everything that's interesting cannot be progressive metal, it's "metal with progressive elements" or something. :lol It has great bands, decent bands, generic bands and simply bad bands like any other genre. I haven't seen anyone around here who would literally hate all progressive metal other than DT, it's always "except... [enter minimum 10 bands here]".

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2010, 10:40:11 AM »
I never said that I hated all progressive metal, then listed 10 bands I liked.  The original statement from Arcaeus that I agreed with was "Prog Metal that doesn't attempt to be progressive".  This means bands that essentially play power metal with longer songs, more solos, and a ton of concept albums with sci-fi themes, like Vanden Plas, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Secret Sphere, Shadow Gallery etc. etc. etc.

I am not saying these bands are BAD, just that they're not my cup of tea.  I'm sure they're very talented and that many people get a great deal of enjoyment out of them.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »
I never said that I hated all progressive metal, then listed 10 bands I liked.  The original statement from Arcaeus that I agreed with was "Prog Metal that doesn't attempt to be progressive".  This means bands that essentially play power metal with longer songs, more solos, and a ton of concept albums with sci-fi themes, like Vanden Plas, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Secret Sphere, Shadow Gallery etc. etc. etc.

I am not saying these bands are BAD, just that they're not my cup of tea.  I'm sure they're very talented and that many people get a great deal of enjoyment out of them.

That's what I meant as well. Disliking "bad progressive metal" would be obvious, same with "bad rock" and "bad hip hop" and "bad death" etc.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2010, 10:56:55 AM »
Yeah, what's considered "bad progressive metal" by me, might be considered "great power metal" by someone else.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »
I forgot Reggaeton. Every one of the songs in that genre have the same fucking beat! Also, what does a band have to do to be good progressive and not just power with prog elements?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
Also, what does a band have to do to be good progressive and not just power with prog elements?

They have to learn how to play a song at a different tempo. :neverusethis:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2010, 11:16:05 AM »
I measure it by how often I'm likely to say "oh fuck right off."

Teeny pop bollocks, I might say it once or twice. Dubstep makes me sick in my mouth a bit, but I'll try to blurt a swear word or two through the chunks of carrot.

I quite like a lot of the charts, mind. I'm not that much of a snob, and the masses do buy into some seriously good stuff. Well, not a lot, they always go a bit rapey in the summer as it's full of... I guess you'd call it dance? House? It's not my thing. But there are a handful of songs that I like. I'd say that's towards the bottom end of electronic stuff, though. I really dig electropop (right from David Bowie and his ilk through to Lady Gaga (!!)), whatever the hell you'd call Prodigy and Pendulum (industrial?), but house isn't my thing at all. So I'll maybe say it at the start of one of those songs, and then ignore it.

I don't like all those American pop punk bands that seem to have the same vocalist. 30SecondsToMars are alright (do they have spaces in their name?), but I'm just as likely to go "oh fuck right off" as I am "this is quite good." It's balanced out a little - bands like Paramore and such, while far from my favourites, have a couple of neat songs and a hot vocalist whose busters are on the internet - but it's far far FAR from my favourite.

Don't like screamo or metalcore. They all sound like the majority of local bands. That or the majority of local bands sound screamo or metalcore. I can't tell. Regardless, I like my music melodic-ish, so if that comes on I'm just as likely to curl out a steamer in protest as I am to just ignore it.

The one that really winds me up though is that BOLLOCKS with the irritating pitch-shifted "duet with a chipmunk" vocals. You know the genre, I think it's called urban, but I most associate it with poor people's ringtones. Rap I can often take; hell, I can occasionally tolerate Beyonce when she's not giving off her insufferably smug vibe. I even like some of Dizzee Rascal's recent stuff... but Akon, Usher, Tinie Tempah (what kind of a name is TINIE TEMPAH for fuck's sake?!). Jesus.

Direct-to-Ringtone, let's call it. What a fucking chunk of smegma. My cat's choked up more tuneful offerings, and I don't even have a cat - the beast I call "Mr. Tibbles" is just a grey sack of cum and Silly Putty that I keep by the telly and occasionally squeeze so that it leaks onto the carpet.

There are exceptions to most genres. Gems, crafted by artisans and genuine creative types who manage to create something wonderful from parts that I'm not typically overly fond of. But I've never heard a ringtone on a bus and found myself thinking "I wonder what that sounds like full-length."

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »
Direct-to-Ringtone, let's call it. What a fucking chunk of smegma. My cat's choked up more tuneful offerings, and I don't even have a cat - the beast I call "Mr. Tibbles" is just a grey sack of cum and Silly Putty that I keep by the telly and occasionally squeeze so that it leaks onto the carpet.

Will you marry me?

Seriously, I had a fork in my mouth when I read that and I almost stabbed myself in the back of the throat when I started laughing :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2010, 11:22:26 AM »
You're a weird guy, Ace. Weird guy.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2010, 11:27:05 AM »

Will you marry me?

Seriously, I had a fork in my mouth when I read that and I almost stabbed myself in the back of the throat when I started laughing :lol
What can I say! I wanted to get a real cat but I'm allergic. Mr. Tibbles is the next best thing.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »
Rob, you're one of the few English DTFers whose posts I actually read in an English accent without thinking about it. :D

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »
Autotune filled modern pop
Most pop punk (although I do love ONE pop punk band)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »
whatever crap they play on the supposed rap and r&b stations.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »
 I haven't seen anyone around here who would literally hate all progressive metal other than DT, it's always "except... [enter minimum 10 bands here]".

Minimum 10?  That is rubbish.  Aside from DT, the only prog metal bands I like really at all are Opeth (although I would call them just metal, but many call them prog metal, so I will put them in here to avoid that debate) and Ayreon (who didn't make my top 50 I did a while back).  So, yeah, prog metal definitely is not my thing.  Just about all of the metal I like would not fall under the "prog" banner.  I am a huge prog ROCK fan.  Prog metal...not so much.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »

I don't know anything about the other bands that you named but the fact that you included such awesome band like Shadow Gallery in a list of generic soulless prog metal (that I hate too BTW really) really annoys me... Yes liking the band is subjective that's true but saying that Shadow Gallery is power metal with longer songs, more solos and ton of concept albums with sci-fi themes is just objectively wrong... Especially the first one and the last one since they have nothing to do with power metal and they have two concept albums from which Tyranny has no sci-fi elements as far as I know and Room V maybe a little bit with all that genetic weapons and rare blood stuff but still far away from  what you meant with your description

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »
The only scifi related thing on Circus Maximus' Isolate is in a dilusion from someone in a mental hospital. Shadow Gallery is extremely cheesy to me. I like Tyranny but it's cheetos.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2010, 12:58:26 PM »
I admit, I've only heard one or two songs from any of the bands I mentioned, but they just didn't thrill or challenge me at all, so I was not compelled to delve further.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2010, 01:21:43 PM »
The only scifi related thing on Circus Maximus' Isolate is in a dilusion from someone in a mental hospital. Shadow Gallery is extremely cheesy to me. I like Tyranny but it's cheetos.

Yeah the SG cheesyness is something that I completely disagree with but I can clearly see how they can be cheesy from some other people point of view

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
This.  There's a difference between good progressive metal and bad progressive metal.
And that's the point exactly. ::) Sorry, but you won't tell me that it's anything else than an attempt to look cool by saying progressive metal sucks, when immediately afterwards you go listing "exceptions" which would make a nice list. Or again you'll maybe go by the awesome logic that everything that's interesting cannot be progressive metal, it's "metal with progressive elements" or something. :lol It has great bands, decent bands, generic bands and simply bad bands like any other genre. I haven't seen anyone around here who would literally hate all progressive metal other than DT, it's always "except... [enter minimum 10 bands here]".

I can't believe this.  Why don't you stop being so thick, and understand that I might just not like the genre.  Of course there are a few (3, maybe) that I listen to, but I just don't agree with what the genre stands for.  So, if I listen to a band labeled progressive metal, it's usually for different elements than the prog metal element.  Follow? 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
What do prog metal bands stand for?

Offline John94

« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »
Rap
Hip-Hop
R'N'B

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »
It totally depends on what you mean by progressive metal. It's the most listened to tag on my last.fm, but that's all coming from bands like Isis, Agalloch, maudlin of the Well, Giant Squid, Opeth, etc. I would really not consider any of those to be prog metal in the traditional DT sense, and I think that's what most people mean when they talk about the genre.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online Mladen

« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »
Black and death metal.