Author Topic: Albums that changed your life or simply give you wonderful memories  (Read 4936 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes, it's another one of those threads!!  Probably already one here but anyway, post albums that you feel really changed your life.  Whether albums that you just lived and breathed or ones that got you through hard times.  Or albums that you have simple memories that make you happy.  I have a few albums that I just think of a certain place or time that automatically connect me to the music, and really give me brilliant memories and a sense of happiness that when I listen now, I'm thrown back to that one moment or time in my life.  Could simply just be a time or place when you listened to the album or things in your life that connect you to it.  I'd like to share some of mine roughly in earliest to latest.  Not much prog for you guys, but whatever;

Bush - Sixteen Stone

Yes a weird album for starters, but this was the album that introduced me to rock music.  Gavin's emotional and expressive voice and the sheer power of their guitars and great drumming from Robin.  Left a big mark on me that I still feel to this day.  An underrated album that got written off with the grunge movement.

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

My first real introduction to metal.  Aces High introduced me to a better world and I have never looked back.  Also helped me with my guitar playing.  An album I used to just put on and jam along with all the way through, and forgot about life for a while and just have fun

Iron Maiden - The X Factor

My first real dark depressing album, and I took to it immediately.  You could feel, pain, darkness and helplessness.  My favourite maiden album, really was a friend through some rough times.

Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet

The album why I still play guitar today.  A perfect guitar record.

Wasp - The Crimson Idol

A story I really got into, amazing vocals, melodies and recurring themes made this the album that made me love the concept album. 

Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory

At a time in high school where being cool was at the top of everyone's priorities, Scenes from a Memory helped me deal with the lack of conformity that I endured.  I couldn't understand the pressure to be cool and like what everyone else liked.  My friends didn't understand, they never judged me, but I remember getting ready for a party and listening to this album before I had to go and listen to a night full of popular crap music.  This is a special one to me, one album that helped formed my identity.  It was a savior.

Tool - Aenima

Around the same time as I was listening to SFAM.  In a school full of crap, the pure atmosphere, amazing melodies and Maynard's convincing vocals, this was a huge part of me for a long time.

Judas Priest - Jugulator

Another record I wore out in high school.  It's sheer brutality and terror gave me courage and helped me continue day after day while at the time seriously struggling with my inner self and lack of confidence.  I remember having to stay back at school in class to work on assignments, and all I could think of was getting home to blast this album.

Black Sabbath - Headless Cross

Something about the atmosphere, Tony's lead breaks and Tony's amazing vocals really made this an album that I could escape into and daydream into another world.  A truly great moment in the Sabbath discography.

Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy

Don't really know what I loved about this one, just an amazing power metal record.  I remember working on my sister's new shop painting with my father one day.  On the way home I dropped into the local cd store and picked this up.  The next day back painting, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face that this album gave me.  A great record.

Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding

Pure heavy metal that only Bruce, H and Roy could deliver.  I couldn't imagine how many times I've played this album.  A perfect escape.

Savatage - Streets

This rock opera helped me through a time when I was struggling with what to do with my life.  I was lost, and the story of this album really connected to me and the emotions Jon and Criss put into this group of songs, I really felt a part of it.

Fates Warning - Parallels

Also at the same time when I felt very lost and confused, this album really gave me some strength and direction.  With songs like Point of View and Leave the Past Behind, I listened to the albums message to try and help me.  A wonderful record with all members giving a phenomenal performance.  Prog at its best.

Gamma Ray - No World Order

My favourite power metal record.  I have great memories of driving home from school in peak hour at night.  Blasting tracks like Solid, Heart of the Unicorn and Fire Below made me happy.  For some reason a great peaceful time where I could really relax and chill.

Soilwork - Figure Number Five

My introduction to Death Metal.  At the time I got played by a woman who hurt me very bad.  Wanting some new more aggressive music, this is what I got and it stuck to me.  I remember listening to this drowned in sorrow.  Almost giving up all hope in life.  It sounds bad, but I believe it really helped me connect with the anger I was feeling at the time.  It was a release that I am forever grateful for.

Ark - Burn the Sun

Another album I used to grieve the same relationship.  Great prog and Jorn's vocals really hooked me and from there was the intro to one of my new favourite vocalists.  Tracks like Feed the Fire and Missing You were outlets that let out my pain.  I remember driving listening to the track Missing You and coming to tears when listening to Jorn's lyrics and expressive delivery.

Incubus - Morning View

An album that has one of the most beautiful and calming atmosphere 's ever.  This album I used to remember the good times I had with this girl and used it as a send off to her but also a glimmer of hope that maybe we'll get back together again.  Every time I hear the track Wish You Were Here I think of this girl.  An stunning album.  Some days it's painful to listen to it, because I know even though I've moved on, we will never see each other again.

Mastodon - Leviathan

Simply an album I would crank in the car.  I would look forward driving to tafe (school) just to crank this album.  One of the most original and stunning albums I've ever heard.  I remember just going for a drive alone and getting lost.  It didn't matter because I was playing Leviathan.  I remember driving somewhere I should have not been driving listening to Hearts Alive thinking "Damn this is a great record, I wonder where I'm going." LOL great memories.

Trivium - Ascendancy

I know not a loved band here, but this is one of the most amazing albums in my collection.  The raw anger and brutality from these young boys at the time was amazing.  Sadly, this was their peak, they never have matched this.  Again, I remember driving and being late for work because I simply had to take detours just to get my fix of this record.  Also worked sucked at that time so this was a great release.

King Diamond - Abigail and House of God

Two albums that really changed my life.  At a time where I was in a very, very hard situation that I wish not to discuss, I discovered King Diamond and these two albums.  The pure mystery and atmosphere he produced really carried me through.  At a time when I despised someone so much and loved another person so much, I was struggling, really struggling.  Somehow King pulled me through and his vision and music comforted me.  He really is magic.  I consider that time the start of the second era in my life.

Last Tribe - Witch's Dance

At a time when I was seeing some light at the end of the tunnel from my previous situation, I remember the magic of this album.  Pure melodic power metal, upbeat and refreshing.  I have wonderful blissful memories of this album and someone that is now very special to me.

Pain of Salvation - Scarsick

The first album that has hit me for a long time.  After searching for music for about 3-4 years I could not really find anything to connect to.  I discovered this album, it was a rocky start but I persisted and found an album that has helped me with relationship problems and work issues.  It's really what I needed.  Some days it's been my only friend.  After a bad day I would play this album and simply fade into it.  A special thanks to the members here on DTF for getting me into this wonderful album that has helped me so much. 

Sorry for all the rambling. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Albums that changed your life or simply give you wonderful memories
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »
The Wall-Pink Floyd: The first album that really made me look at ALBUMS instead of songs.  From here, I bought most of their other albums, Tommy by the Who, and then...

Scenes from a Memory-Dream Theater and Brave-Marillion: These albums really opened my eyes and ears to modern rock music, especially progressive stuff and a whole world of bands outside of the Nickelback and Creed bullshit they played on the radio.  Suddenly the internet became my best friend.

Watershed-Opeth: Or, How I Learned to Stop Being a Pussy and Love the Growls.

Snakes and Arrows Live-Rush: Well, not really this album, per se, but the show I saw on the first leg of that tour completely blew me away.  Even after seeing bands like Springsteen, Dream Theater, and Muse, seeing Rush in '07 is the main highlight, even though I knew only a small number of their songs.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:12:34 AM »
This is just what came to mind right away...

The Beatles - Abbey Road
Made me fall in love with this whole "music" thing in the first place. 

Philip Glass - Solo Piano
Nearly the sole inspiration for my learning the piano.

Yann Tiersen - La Valse de Monstres
Nearly the sole inspiration for my developed interest in soundtrack/score composing, and one of my all time favorites.

Marillion - Brave
My introduction into more complex emotions in rock-based music, and one of my all time favorites.

Pain of Salvation - Scarsick/BE
Both changed the way I look at so many things I can't begin to explain. 

Micheal Jackson - Bad
Made me want to perform. 

Ulver - Shadows of the Sun
I didn't quite ever think of "creative" the same way afterward...

Damien Rice - O
Beautiful, simple songs.  I learned to love them again.

Nick Drake - Pink Moon.
Even simpler songs.  I loved them right away.

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
Just so enjoyable.   

The Dear Hunter - Act II
Everything I wanted in an album.  Nearly everything. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »
Some of great importance to me:

Fifth Angel - Fifth Angel - The first band and album that really connected with me on a fanatic level. Still does.

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime - significant because it remains my favorite album of all time, and the fact when I was growing up, I told everyone I knew about Queensryche and was laughed at...until the video for Eyes of a Stranger came out, and then everyone changed their tune.

Queensryche - Empire - rough times for my family in 1990, and the elation from me when I saw the video for "Empire" debut on MTV. I had to wait until Dec. 1990 to get the album, but it was a special time.

Queensryche - Promised Land - I remember being a poor college student, not knowing the album was coming out, and then saw on a Tuesday, driving past a store, that the record was going on sale that day. I borrowed $15 from my mom in order to get it...then to not "get it" once I first listened. About a week later, it clicked, and it was such a revelation and good memory. A soundtrack to my favorite summer of all time, 1995.

Dream Theater - Awake - this record, particularly "Voices" was the soundtrack to the time I spent working full time as a journalist and subsequently spending my evenings going to review for the Bar Exam and visiting law schools. Good times.

Hootie & the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View - second of three albums I spent a lot of time listening to in 1995. Love it.

Van Halen - Balance - third of three of those 1995 soundtrack albums. Just a great summer of music, friends and experiences.

Those records were either landmarks for me in music, or just special times for me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:32:32 AM »
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication - This album served as a stepping stone to explore music that really fits me well. Every listen to a song from that album brings back good memories of summer days chilling with my family.

System of a Down - Toxicity and Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory - Both albums saw me fully love metal and rock (I know, rock is stretching it, but from my POV, it works).

Dream Theater - Train of Thought - My first full DT album, though I had heard Metropolis and TSCO by the time I heard As I Am. To be honest, I only listened to As I Am and Endless Sacrifice at first, but after a while I submerged myself in their whole discography.

Casting Crowns - Casting Crowns and Lifesong - Both albums helped me see that Christian music isn't boring, lyrically and musically. At least to me. They don't have super amazing lyrics or jaw-dropping instrumentation, but it all works for me in the end and they're one of my favs from the Christian music scene.

I still love all these albums and many more.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 09:56:58 AM »
Green Day - Dookie

This is the album that actually convinced me to get into older music. Before this, I thought all music before 2000 sucked. Seriously.

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Raw and powerful, hands down Metallica's best album. Amazing album with haunting melodies.

Dream Theater - Awake

Mind was blown. I first heard this album at night with earphones on, and it was probably one of the best music experience I've ever had.

Dream Theater - Images & Words

This actually blew my mind away earlier than Awake. My first DT album was Six Degrees, and when I heard this album, I couldn't do anything. Mindfucked.

Symphony X - V - The New Mythology Suite

This is a movie. Simply epic and grand. Russell Allen became my all-time favorite vocalist because of this album. I was convinced to tune my guitar to Open D because I wanted to play the songs here so badly.

Pain of Salvation - Entropia

wolfking had Scarsick, and mine is Entropia. My ever first PoS album still remains in the top spot in their discography. Masterpiece.

Opeth - Still Life

Hands down one of the tightest album I've ever heard. Such a perfect album with absolutely no filler.

Meshuggah - Chaosphere

I discovered the heavier side of metal with this album. New Millennium Cyanide Christ is pure genius.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Although I prefer Lightbulb Sun when it comes to individual tracks, I will choose In Absentia when we are talking about the whole album. Fantastic album. Point 3 is one of my favorite PT song.

toe - For Long Tomorrow

Mind was blown... again. This Japanese Math/Post-rock band is simply awesome.

Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment II

I can't remember how many times I listened to this album. Some of the best instrumentals ever are in this album. Another Dimension, When the Water Breaks, Chewbaca, and Biaxident.

<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory

Amazing album. My first progressive metal obsession which lasted for a good solid 4 months. Still gets consistent play time.

Even though I hardly listen to Metallica at all anymore, this album was hugely important in establishing my musical identity. It saved me from nu-metal and was the first step to where I am today.

Slipknot - Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses

Yep. Guilty pleasure right here. This was my first non-pop album, so it's a crucial stepping stone of my current musical loves. I still spin it once every year to remind me of where I came from, and it's easily Slipknot's best album. Musically and lyrically mature (for the most part) and definitely the tall order for the depressed teenager.

Spock's Beard - The Light

A very recent love, this one. This is just one of those albums I can see myself loving forever, kind of like Scenes.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »
Green Day - Dookie

LOL @ this album being called "older music".  I guess I'm just getting old myself though.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »
Slipknot - Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses

Yep. Guilty pleasure right here. This was my first non-pop album, so it's a crucial stepping stone of my current musical loves. I still spin it once every year to remind me of where I came from, and it's easily Slipknot's best album. Musically and lyrically mature (for the most part) and definitely the tall order for the depressed teenager.

I just listened to this again the other day, after years of not hearing it. It's got a few misses, but overall it hit me well at a time where I was pretty depressed with life. Their best for sure.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 05:22:38 PM »
Train of Thought and Scenes From A Memory

Train of Thought was my first DT album and opened the door to all my musical tastes today.  Essentially, "the one that started it all"

Scenes is an album that I listened to almost exclusively for nearly 6 months.  Easily my favorite album ever, it really helped my appreciate non-metal at a time when I listened to 95% metal (Yeah, it's technically a progressive metal album, but songs like Through Her Eyes, One Last Time, and The Spirit Carries On are amazing and aren't metal at all).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »
Yes---Fragile.  Rock music could sound like this?

Rush-- Moving Pictures.  Thanks to my guitar teacher I fell in love with this, my favorite band.

Dada--El Subliminoso.  Such a dynamic album and dense with melody and 3 part harmonies.  They kill for a 3 peice band.

Porcupine Tree--In Absentia. Something was missing in my serch for music and I found a home with this CD.

Dream Theater--Images & Words.  The same as PT. I needed a harder sound with a melodic prog feel and was blown away when I found this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 05:39:32 PM »
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory got me into music. I was obsessed with Linkin Park and listened to nothing but them for the better part of two years, 6th and 7th grade.

Korn - Follow the Leader, Metallica - Ride the Lightning and System of a Down - Toxicity all got me into "harder-edged" music and introduced me to metal.

Opeth - Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries along with Dream Theater - Images and Words got me into progressive rock and metal, which is where I currently stand in my music tastes and from where I have not looked back.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »
In random order

Metallica - The Black Album

This was the first metal album I ever heard, I heard it when I was six years old. I still feel that the production of this album almost epitomizes the 'metal' sound, but that's probably because it's the first metal album I heard.

Radiohead - In Rainbows

The album I associate with heartbreak, loneliness and despair. Not exactly the greatest mood to be in, so that's why I'm not playing it often. I'm pretty sure it's in my top 10 albums of all time though. The emotions are just too real sometimes, if that makes sense.

Dream Theater - 6DOIT / Symphony X - V

Both albums got me into the symphonic/progressive metal thingy, which opened me up to lots of similar bands that I very much enjoyed. Nowadays I rarely listen to typical 'prog metal', but these albums among others remain very important to me.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia / Lightbulb Sun

IA was the first I heard, and after that I immediately fell in love with the more gentle approach on Lightbulb Sun. These two albums steered me away from the 'chops' of Prog Metal and made me interested in rock music with good lyrics, textures and song arrangements.

Isis - Oceanic

Made me appreciate (heavy) music with a looser, more raw production and approach. I totally adore how the drums sound, possibly my favorite drum sound on a studio album by anyone. The atmospheres are great, and the band uses metal characteristics in an unusual way. I wouldn't even call them a metal band anyway.

Pink Floyd - DSOTM / Jeff Buckley - Grace

These two albums are just important, for obvious reasons I think.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News

That's an album that I reserve for when I must absolutely persevere through something tough. I bought it on a day when I was having a really rough time, walked into Best Buy, and randomly picked it up because I wanted an album that I didn't have to like, just so that I could somehow put all of the weight on my shoulder onto it.

It did its job and more. And there was no more perfect album in the world to get for what I was dealing with.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 01:08:50 AM »
The Beatles: Rubber Soul - It was my first Beatles CD after having listened to dad's old Beatles vinyl records growing up. This was a birthday present from him when I turned 14 (December 1995), I got it along with my first CD player. I remember playing it for months straight, and rapidly collecting all their other albums. I had heard many of the songs before, but not all the album tracks. Rubber Soul is one of my favourite albums by my favorite band of all time.

Metallica: Metallica/Black Album - My first taste of "heavy" music, although I hadn't heard their 80s stuff yet. This was in the early 90s so they played the videos off this album on MTV pretty much all the time. I know a lot of fans discard it and say they sold out and got soft with this album, but I still have this album close to my heart as I grew up with it.

Beach Boys: Pet Sounds - Back to my 60s affection. I became a huuuge fan of the Beach Boys after seeing the documentary Endless Harmony on TV in 1998, and I made it a task to collect all of their albums. In general when people think of this band they automatically think of innocent ditties about surfing, the beach, girls, and cars. Sure they were known for it during their first few years (1962-1965) but my interest lies in their "middle" period, 1965-1973, when they did pop masterpieces such as "Pet Sounds", their crowning achievement. This album is pop perfection, both in the songwriting, performance and the production. Check it out if you have an open mind about sweet 60s pop.

Dream Theater: Images And Words - My latest in the "life changing albums" series. I actually bought this in early 2001 after I've heard Pull Me Under. I listened to it and liked a couple of songs, but then it got put on the shelf for a few years. In 2007 I became a DT fan after checking out their other albums. Suddenly I&W clicked for me and I consider it to be one of the best albums ever. I don't know what else to say about it, you all know the album and its greatness.

I have a few other albums I could add too, but I think this will suffice for now. These are the milestones in my life, I guess.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 01:20:46 AM »
Van Halen-1984 Probably my first CD that I ever got. Christmas 1998 when I was 4, my parents got it for me. I only listened to Jump at first, but I soon liked every song on the album. I then collected very Van Halen CD. Still brings back great memories.

Dream Theater-Images and Memories I have fond memories of listening to this back during Christmas 2008. The snow falling outside and the lighted candles up in my half window in my room. The album brings back some great memories and that is why I love it. My 3rd Dream Theater album.

Dream Theater-Scenes From A Memory I bought this back in Autumn 2008. I remember it at first playing in the background while I was working on a school project, but than I listened to it again and I fell in love. My first real introduction of Dream Theater.

Ringo Starr- Vertical Man This was another album of my childhood that my Mom always played. We always listened to it in the car and for that reason it brings me great memories.

Paul McCartney Same reason as above. I grew up with it
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 01:47:50 AM »
Surfing with the Alien - "COOL GUITAR SOLOS BRO!!"

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 02:52:51 AM »
U2- The Joshua Tree
U2 got me into pop/rock and the 80's stuff(wich leads to the next one), this is  a masterpiece that i still love.

The Alan Parsons Project- Eye In The Sky
I love it from the first track to the last i was like 10 years old when i started with this band and at that time i did't know this was prog.

G&R- Appetite for Destruction
They got me into heavier music, i don't really like G&R that much now.

Iron Maiden- Powerslave
Got me into metal, and I have never looked back(same as you wolfking)
With this band i started to really understand the melodies and and hear instruments individually.
Wich got me to the next band.

Dream thater- Awake and I&W
My first 2 DT albums, im so glad i found this band. No More Words

Transatlantic- Bridge Across Forever
Really got me into old school prog.

Faith No More- Angels Dust

and

Porcupine Tree- Fear Of A Blank Planet
With this album i found my new favorite band.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 04:09:21 AM »
It's amazing to see SFAM on so many lists, it really is a special album.  DT should be very proud of how many lives they have changed with that album.

Pain of Salvation - Entropia

wolfking had Scarsick, and mine is Entropia. My ever first PoS album still remains in the top spot in their discography. Masterpiece.

:tup I'm actually listening to Entropia right now!!

Iron Maiden- Powerslave
Got me into metal, and I have never looked back(same as you wolfking)
With this band i started to really understand the melodies and and hear instruments individually.
Wich got me to the next band.

Couldn't have said it better than that dude, well done.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 04:10:26 AM »
Dream Theater: Images And Words - My latest in the "life changing albums" series. I actually bought this in early 2001 after I've heard Pull Me Under. I listened to it and liked a couple of songs, but then it got put on the shelf for a few years. In 2007 I became a DT fan after checking out their other albums. Suddenly I&W clicked for me and I consider it to be one of the best albums ever. I don't know what else to say about it, you all know the album and its greatness. 

It's amazing how much this sort of thing has happened to me.  After discovering an album after owning it for a while, you really question yourself why it slipped past you in the first place.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 05:54:49 AM »
Scenes from a Memory completely turned around the way I listened to music. I've said this many times, but before I heard this album, I was slowly backing myself into an extreme metal corner. This album led me back to other metal, rock, and eventually, all the music I listen to today. The first major confirmation of this that I had was Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head, which became one of my favourite albums within days of coming out.

System of a Down's Toxicity is possibly the defining album of my high school years. My brothers and friends and I all thrashed that album to death. It was like the one album that EVERYONE around me loved, so it was the soundtrack to all sorts of parties and road trips and chiling out playing computer games and the like.

Although I was never into albums as a kid, No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom and Oasis' What's the Story are two albums that I bought in later years and could recognise half the songs from them or more just from the singles that made the radio in the mid '90s. Which makes these two albums the enduring big albums of my earlier childhood.

I may think of more later.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 05:59:35 AM »
What's the Story Morning glory is an amazing album, I love it!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 08:23:46 AM »
Indeed! How could I forget that one. Oasis were my teenage heroes in the late 90s, and What's The Story is easily another milestone in my life.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 11:03:12 AM »
Tragic Kingdom was a kick to the face. I love that album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »
 :tup

Queen - Queen II
Rush - Hemispheres
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Elton John - Rock of the Westies

No way I could put into words what those albums mean to me, so I won't even try. :)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 11:45:03 AM »
I also forgot to include SOAD's 'Toxicity'. Indeed, everyone was raving about it, even folks who usually didn't listen to heavy stuff. I still think it's a terrific metal album, and one of the 00's classic records.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »
Rush- a Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, All the Worlds a Stage, Moving Pictures
Judas- Sin after Sin
Iron Maiden- Killers
Beatles- White Album, Rubber Soul, Revolver
Scorpions- Tokyo Tapes
Genesis- And then there were 3
Yes- Close to the Edge, Fragile
Saxon- Denim and Leather, Long Arm of the Law
Anthrax- Fistfull of Metal
Metallica- Kill em all, Ride the Lightening
Angel- White Hot
Sabbath- Masters of Reality

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:18:29 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
I also forgot to include SOAD's 'Toxicity'. Indeed, everyone was raving about it, even folks who usually didn't listen to heavy stuff. I still think it's a terrific metal album, and one of the 00's classic records.

Fully agreed.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »
Oh and...
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here/ANIMALS
(This is a huge one....Animals.... early introduction to prog music, inspired the first song I ever wrote. Wanted to start learning an instrument because of WYWH. Very important in my musical background.)
Elton John - A Single Man
Boston - Boston
Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming
Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
Public Uproar - Public Uproar
Yes - Fragile/The Yes Album

All bring back so many good memories.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 04:41:41 AM »
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Rumours is a wonderful album!!  :heart

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 07:14:40 AM »
The Beatles - Yellow Submarine: Yes, an unlikely choice by the boys from Liverpool, but as a kid growing up with a father who loves The Beatles, and a brother who loved watching the animated movie on VHS, I fell in love with this soundtrack. However the album we had on CD at the time was very different (and I wouldn't know why until many many many years later), but the 6 songs on side 1 and the orchestral score on side 2 really, I think, subconsciously inspired me to explore my love of music, both in the rock and symphonic way. The kid in me still enjoys listening to Ringo's voice on the iconic title-track, and singing along to it, while the adult in me can now appreciate all the subtleties on the album. It's really underrated but, then again, being surrounded by two great albums (in both directions), it's got hard competition.

Rush - Vapor Trails: Despite it's obvious sonic flaws, the power of Lee & Lifeson's music coupled with Peart's lyrics makes this a very emotional album which reminded me of my own troubled times in life and helped me realize what it took to get over those memories. There is also something about the raw playing on here that just makes me feel like they are baring their all on this album, something that wasn't done since the days of 2112 - guitar-driven and minimal keyboards really give focus to the song-writing and the lyrics. There are some REALLY great tunes on here, and to me, none of them are BAD at all (maybe not-as-great as some, but they're all at least 4**** songs in my book).

Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence: The title track remains a favorite of mine (possibly top 3, always top 5) and the album as a whole is just amazing. When I was first discovering the band in early 2004, this was one of the first albums I got by them and (almost) everything on here clicked with me, but what slammed me against the wall in awe was the title track. Even back then as a new-born prog-geek, I knew I was attracted to epics in an unhealthy way, so this 42 minute, 8-part piece was just heaven for me. The other five tracks are all very good too, ranging from various sounds and feelings in it's 50-some minute length.

Spock's Beard - Snow: As well as being unhealthily attracted to epics of amazing length, I also quite enjoy concept albums. This was one of the first few I fell in love with and the music and story touches my heart every time I listen to it in it's entirety. Something about the titular character's journey through hardships and self-discovery echoed mine at some point in time, and so I fell in love with the story. The music itself is truly amazing and Neal and company really put together some great pieces and performances. It's a crying shame Neal left before a live tour could happen, thus bringing the chances of a live Snow show ever being released or performed from "most-likely" to "almost never".

Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever: Undoubtedly one of my top 5 albums of all time, it combines my love for epics and my love for concepts in a way that only Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy could arrange and craft. The opening and closing tracks are two of the greatest prog epic pieces ever written in the last decade and they tug at my ears and heart and soul in so many ways that make me feel great that it should be a crime to feel that good listening to music! Yes I believe it is that good. There always seems to be an over-reaching smile on my face when the ending climax of "Stranger In Your Soul" travels between my ears.

I know this list seems fairly similar (the Top 5 albums thread awhile back), but these are just albums that have become part of my life in some way shape or form and are still favorites to this day. They've gotten me through hard times and good times, and always make me smile, especially when I need to. I'm sure there's more I could think of but right now, I gotta head off to work. Maybe more later...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 07:33:12 AM »
Sex, Love, and Rock and Roll from Social Distortion is the only one that sticks out for me.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 08:38:33 AM »
Hmmm, I think I'll have a crack at this.

The Offspring - Americana

This album is what got me into rock music. While all my friends at school were still into pop or whatever. I was listening to this :hat

This album got me into metal. A lot of my friends were listening to Metallica at the time so I thought I would give them a go. Never regretted it. Don't listen to them that much these days though...

Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen

This was the first album I was able to appreciate that didn't have clean vocals. I got into them when a friend at school asked me to download it for him (about a month or two after it came out). Gave it a try and ended up really liking it.

Dream Theater - Octavarium.

If I hadn't started listening to Dream Theater, I don't think I would be listening to, at least, three quarters of the music I listen to today. A friend send me The Root of All Evil over MSN and I really enjoyed it. I decided to get that album along with a few others (Train of Thought, Scenes From a Memory and Images and Words) and the rest is history.

Opeth - Ghost of Perdition

The album that finally got me into full on growls. Took me a good few listens but damn, I don't regret it in the slightest. Getting into growls has allowed me to listen to plenty bands I would have never given a chance before.

Now, for albums that give good memories...I only have one because, usually, I just associate them with whatever is happening at the time of listening (playing a game usually :neverusethis:). Anyway, that album is...

The Pineapple Thief - Tightly Wound

[cheese] The reason I picked this album is because I started listening to it at the same time I started getting to know Silver Tears. Every time I listen to that album, it always makes me smile. [/cheese]