Author Topic: Good sounding, Moderately Cheap Amp with a decent volume for small scale gigs  (Read 2143 times)

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
For which instrument?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline icarus4321

...and what genre of music?
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
Guitar.
Metal/Hard Rock.

Should have said that earlier really, but I was too busy eating that damned popcorn

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
when i started playing electric 6 years ago i snagged a Marshall Valvestate 30 watt amp, works pretty well as long as you don't plan on using the built in distortion. plus it doesnt even have a channel switch anyways. so probably scratch that idea. haha.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
I'm not starting mind, I've been playing 8 years. I'm using a Roland Micro Cube because I'm not doing live performances at the moment, but I'd be looking into some small gigs after starting a band.
Hence the need for a decent volume.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
the roland cube (not the micro) is nice

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
I use a Fender Blues Jr.  Its just a 50watt(I think) tube amp with a 12" speaker.  Its definately loud enough and with a few decent effects pedals you can get it metal, Hard Rock, Country, Blues, whatever.  It doesnt have a very good frequency range though so your not gonna have it so bassy and loud that pants will be shat.  Its just a cheap, decent, reliable tube amp.  It retails at just under a grand NZ$ so i dunno what that is where you are.  A lot less I'd imagine.

Offline TheCor

i have a line 6 spider valve 1x12 40 watt combo and it works pretty well.  i got as an all in one solution instead of having to cart around my half stack and rack/pedalboard for small gigs or jams. its got a wide range of sounds as long as you don't mind digital modeling, which i'm not all that big a fan of, but the tube power section gives it a little more warmth than other line 6 stuff.  it's also very loud, any time i've turned it past 3 or 4 i've immediately been told to turn down by the sound guy or other band members.  it goes for like 700 or so new i think, i got mine for 500 used and i'd say it's worth it.