Author Topic: Marvellous G's Tool Top Twenty  (Read 10053 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Marvellous G's Tool Top Twenty
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 09:46:01 PM »
I have never in my life listened to Disposition, Reflection, or Triad separately. I don't plan on it either. The sequence would probably be top 5 for me.

and Vicarious is :metal
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010, 10:47:49 PM »
I went from loving Vicarious to more or less hating it and then back to loving it again.

How odd. I've loved that song since the first time I heard it. Instant classic, in my books.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »
The lyrics came to bug me, and it just kind of fell apart from there.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 05:15:30 AM »
Viginti Tres is weird... ly good!
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 06:14:27 AM »
The lyrics came to bug me, and it just kind of fell apart from there.

Yeah, the lyrics annoy me a bit, but at least the delivery of them is excellent, enough to carry them for me. It's probably one of my top 3 most played Tool tracks, and it's one I don't think I'll get bored of, although, weirdly, it took me quite a while to love it in the first place.  :huh:

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 08:00:59 AM »
My list would be very different to this one. However, you may continue.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »
My list would be very different to this one. However, you may continue.

This might not be the best representative list, as I'm trying to mix it up a little from what might be expected, otherwise I'd have D-R-T as my number 1 or 2 most likely. And all of Lateralus (album) would be on it.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 11:48:51 AM »
Even Mantra?

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 11:49:52 AM »

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
Yeh I love listening to Maynard squeeze his cat.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2010, 12:04:06 PM »
Just read through this thread so far, looking forward to the next songs  :metal

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2010, 06:36:15 AM »
I'll slow it down to 1 at a time now as we're at the real heavyweights. This might be a controversially high placing, but for my number five I pick...

5. jimmy

A criminally underrated gem of a song. It has a dreamlike quality that even other Tool songs don’t often match throughout, with some great lyrics from Maynard and wonderful wordless vocal moments. The main riff is one of Jones’ best, and the instrumental section is understated but engaging. The outro is just musical bliss, and you almost feel like you’re swimming through it in a way. I've heard a lot of people who don't care for Tool, or even heavier music in general, appreciate this track, as it's got such a unique feel and flow. Another person said they felt like they'd finished sex at the end of this song, which might be just a liiiitle extreme, but I sort of see what they're getting at. I also personally think the album art for Aenima is PERFECT for this song. I wish this got more recognition, as it’s one of my favourite Aenima songs but doesn’t seem to get much love from a lot of fans.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2010, 06:51:41 AM »
I'd like to add how awesome the Intermission into Jimmy is. Good choice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2010, 06:59:08 AM »
This is by far one of my fav's.  Agree with everything that's been said, and yes cthrubuoy, that intermission is amazing!!!

Hold your light,
Eleven, Lead me through each gentle step,
By step,
By inch by loaded memory,
I'll move,
To heal,
As soon as pain allows so we can,
Reunite,
And both move on together.

Hold,
Your light,
Eleven lead me through each gentle step,
By step,
By inch by loaded memory 'till,
One,
And one are one,
Eleven.
So glow,
Child,
Glow.
I'm heading back home...

This part is pure MUSIC WIN!!!  I love it. Mixes so many emotions inside of me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2010, 09:43:26 AM »
I'd like to add how awesome the Intermission into Jimmy is. Good choice.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »
Cool list. :tup

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2010, 12:18:17 PM »
Maybe a more obvious choice now, but a very deserved number 4 for me.

4. Schism

This is probably actually the most perfectly structured Tool song, but not quite my favourite overall. From the calm opening chords, you know you’re in for something magical. Chancellor’s riff is both haunting and catchy, and leads into an eerie sounding verse, which in turn leads into a surprisingly aggressive chorus. The breakdown that follows shows that Tool have one of the finest rhythm sections in the world, and then the quiet middle section is hypnotic and beautiful. Maynard's vocals in this bit are stunning and calming, and sort of sound like an instrument themselves. I also like the weird sound effects, they really add to the atmosphere.  The outro is full of great riffs that only get used for about one second each, and the final vocal moments and riff are so oppressive that you can’t help but be caught breathless by the end of the song. It also has some of the best lyrics I’ve ever heard. Overall, I think this is a Tool classic, but I have no idea whatsoever how it ended up being their biggest single.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »
but I have no idea whatsoever how it ended up being their biggest single.

This is amazes me to this day.

AWESOME SONG :metal
I AM A GUY

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2010, 06:10:50 PM »

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2010, 03:21:59 PM »
Bronze medal time. And I give it to...

3. Pushit/Pushit (Live)

Both the studio and Salival versions are true masterpieces. The studio version is more direct and handles some sections better, for instance the outro works better studio for me personally. But overall the constant buildup found in the Salival version appeals to me more. Whichever version you prefer, by the time you’ve got to the ‘if when I say I might fade like a sigh when I stay,’ section, you’d better hold on to your proverbial hats, as the final two minutes of this song are topped only by the final two minutes of… another song I shall not name… But the unexpectedly heavy outro is climactic and insane, and the final line of ‘before I claw your fucking throat away, it will end no other way!’ is chilling, and a wonderful way to close one of the most epic musical journeys I’ve ever experienced. The tabla solo in the Salival version is also interesting, but I would concede that the song drags a bit more live. The very beginning of the studio version is also very cool, with the strings fading in immediately giving the song a slightly creepy air. A final thing of note for me about this song is that I didn't like it for about the first fifteen listens. I'm not sure if it was the Salival version that did it for me, or just sheer persistence in the end, but if you're struggling to get into this song I'd recommend giving the Salival version a try as a final attempt.

The way I see it, there are now three or four very heavy hitters left for the last 2 places, so I'll put up my flame shield now for the glaring omission(s) to come.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »
Awesome song  :metal

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
I'm not a fan of this one as much, but it's still Tool!  :metal
I AM A GUY

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »
You're still a tool too!  :heart

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2010, 03:59:37 PM »
It does seem a weirdly divisive song among fans. Before I loved it I couldn't see much good about it, but now the opposite is true, so I guess I'm just lucky/happy it did eventually click with me. Give it another try zxlkho!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »
You're still a tool too!  :heart
:heart

It does seem a weirdly divisive song among fans. Before I loved it I couldn't see much good about it, but now the opposite is true, so I guess I'm just lucky/happy it did eventually click with me. Give it another try zxlkho!
Wow you actually used my name!  :D

Yeah I'll give it a try when I'm finished with my Opeth obsession.
I AM A GUY

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
I had to add it to Chrome's dictionary to kill the infuriating red spellcheck line! :lol

But yeah, I do have to be in a Tool mood for Pushit even more than their other songs, so fair enough.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
Pushit on me, pushit on me, put shit on me, put shit on me

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2010, 10:41:47 AM »
I assume quite a lot of people know what my number 1 is anyway, but the way I see it there are still two clear contenders for it after this.

2. Stinkfist

Weirdly, despite the fact it’s quite simple, this song took the longest time to grow on me that a song ever has. But when it clicked, it cemented myself as one of my favourite songs of all time. From the innocuous opening noises, to the industrial sounding guitar riff, this song is just perfect. Maynard’s lyrics are either perverse or poetic depending on how you look at it, but I prefer to think of it as a song about desensitization than about, well, you know… The chorus is one of the most emotional things I’ve ever heard in music, and Maynard’s roar in the instrumental section leads into what I would argue is the best riff Tool have ever written. There is just something about the song that you don't get in other 5 minute rock/metal tracks, for me at least. I can see why some people would call it generic or uninspired, but maybe it's just the way Maynard/Tool deliver it that makes it so much more than the sum of its parts. It might not be long or complicated, but Stinkfist really packs an emotional punch (HA.) that is unrivalled by most other bands, and even most other Tool songs. But not quite all…

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »
Good song but it wouldn't be nearly this high for me. Maybe top 15.

20. Aenema
19. Rosetta Stoned
18. The Grudge
17. No Quarter
16. Undertow
15. Third Eye
14. Hooker With A Penis
13. You Lied (Live)
12. Cold And Ugly (Live)
11. Intolerance
10. H.
9. Eulogy
8. Vicarious
7. Reflection
6. Right In Two
5. jimmy
4. Schism
3. Pushit/Pushit (Live)
2. Stinkfist

Yeah, we all know what number one is.  :D
Also, there is a serious lack of Wings for Marie/10,000 Days on this list.
I AM A GUY

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2010, 02:01:16 PM »
Yeah, we all know what number one is.  :D

I don't. You're missing Parabola, Ticks and Leeches, Lateralus, Sober and as said WFM/10k days. They would all be on my top 20 list :(

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2010, 02:14:31 PM »
I'd put my money on number one being "Lateralus", although I have a feeling that it could be "Sober".

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »
Nah it's Lateralus. There's no way anyone could make an argument to keep that out a of a Tool top 20 list.
I AM A GUY

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »
Zxlkho is correct. An anticlimactic pick maybe, but I'll buck the trend and at least put a proper explanation.

1. Lateralus

So, my number one Tool song is also my number one song of all time. Somehow, it’s the first Tool song I heard, and I immediately knew that this band was going to change my musical life. The intro riff is deceptively calm, but the storm soon comes in one of Tool’s best riffs. Whether you care for the Fibonacci gimmickry or not, I still think that the phrasing of the vocals in the verses is excellent regardless, and the drums in the verses just sound so… huge, that I can’t help but be blown away. The chorus is just magnificent, but it’s after the first five minutes are done that this song transforms into something that transcends music, for me at least. The reprise of the intro riff with Maynard’s inspirational lyrics and calm singing are what converted me into a complete Maynard fanboy (or Maynerd ha.), and the song builds up impossibly until it all comes to a head at around seven minutes, when the greatest pause ever in music leads into an incredibly simple, but more amazingly effective, riff. The last two minutes of this song are just too majestic for me to describe here, but if you listen in the right circumstances then this song can be a really indescribable experience. My favourite small touch is when the wah kicks in when Maynard sings ‘following our will and wind…’ It shouldn’t change much, as it’s simply the same riff but an octave up and with wah, but it always make me visualise something that I can't really explain, but really adds to the atmosphere of the song. So yeah, I like Lateralus, and I missed out these songs also:

Just-Missed-The-Lists:

Prison Sex
Sober
4 Degrees
Forty Six & 2
Parobol/Parabola
Ticks And Leeches
Jambi
Wings For Marie/10,000 Days
Intension

Thanks to everyone who followed this list!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »
I'd like to do a list, but I don't feel like I'd be able to have these types of write-ups. They wouldn't be as detailed.
I AM A GUY

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2010, 06:49:10 PM »
I'd like to do a list, but I don't feel like I'd be able to have these types of write-ups. They wouldn't be as detailed.

I didn't realise that one was that long.  :-\ I'm just massively overenthusiastic about Tool, but shorter ones would probably work better than longer ones, you should do one!