Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 213940 times)

Online pg1067

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #1155 on: October 12, 2018, 11:54:31 AM »
Neither is Clockwork Angels being the best album since Moving Pictures. :P

You spelled "Signals" wrong.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1156 on: April 17, 2019, 01:37:54 AM »
I am really excited about Priest's new tour, and will be interviewing Ian Hill this Thursday!!!! Unfortunately I only have a 15  minute slot, but it will be amazing anyway.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1157 on: November 25, 2019, 08:36:27 PM »
K.K reached out to the band regarding their 50th and it sounds like the band told him to stuff it. Seems with Glenn unable to really perform that having K.K step back in would be nice. Guess not.

https://www.facebook.com/kkdowningsteelmill/posts/10162736648945061

K.K.Downing press release:

”First of all, I want to once again express my huge appreciation to all fans worldwide for the overwhelmingly positive response to my Bloodstock appearance in August and the Wolverhampton gig in early November. I am truly humbled and grateful.

I am also taken aback with the compelling fan outcry for me to participate in the Judas Priest 50th anniversary celebrations next year. Consequently, I felt the right thing to do was to reach out to my former band-mates to gather their thoughts on this, and their response is they are not receptive to my participation in the band and they do not intend to include me in the 50th anniversary celebrations.

However, the great news for the fans is that I will be continuing to forge ahead, I am looking very much forward to seeing you all on the road in 2020. Together we will take on the world”
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1158 on: November 25, 2019, 09:25:25 PM »
Kenny needs to put Priest behind him and salvage some dignity. I suspect he was right to leave when he did, and now that circumstances have changed it'd be great for everybody for him to join them again, but they're clearly not interested and made that pretty clear a long time ago. Time to move on. In the meantime, Richie Falkner just becomes classier every day. Dude's got a real talent for sticking to the highroad.

That said, I haven't bothered to see Priest the last 4 or 5 times they came through. Rob can't sing and it's just not the same without Downing and Tipton. If KK Downing were to tour with Les Binks and Ripper Owens I'd be all over that, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1159 on: November 25, 2019, 09:54:36 PM »
Kenny needs to put Priest behind him and salvage some dignity. I suspect he was right to leave when he did, and now that circumstances have changed it'd be great for everybody for him to join them again, but they're clearly not interested and made that pretty clear a long time ago. Time to move on. In the meantime, Richie Falkner just becomes classier every day. Dude's got a real talent for sticking to the highroad.

That said, I haven't bothered to see Priest the last 4 or 5 times they came through. Rob can't sing and it's just not the same without Downing and Tipton. If KK Downing were to tour with Les Binks and Ripper Owens I'd be all over that, though.

I kind of agree but now without Tipton there, it would make sense for the band to welcome KK back IMO.  It would be weird seeing both Richie and KK on stage together but Richie can easily handle Glen's parts.  Sneap is not a fit.  Saying that it doesn't matter now but a 50th celebration without either KK or Glen just doesn't seem right.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1160 on: November 26, 2019, 01:02:20 AM »
The problem is that Richie is KK's replacement, not Glenn's. I'm sure it would not be terribly difficult for him to learn Glenn's solos, but still he's filling KK's position, it would be like having two of them.

I guess the band didn't really like KK bailing on them, kinda like when Adrian Smith left Iron Maiden and with it lost his "seniority" in the band and joined back in 1999 as "the new guy" and would have been the first to go if the three guitars line-up didn't work.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: November 26, 2019, 04:13:48 AM »
The problem is that Richie is KK's replacement, not Glenn's. I'm sure it would not be terribly difficult for him to learn Glenn's solos, but still he's filling KK's position, it would be like having two of them.

I guess the band didn't really like KK bailing on them, kinda like when Adrian Smith left Iron Maiden and with it lost his "seniority" in the band and joined back in 1999 as "the new guy" and would have been the first to go if the three guitars line-up didn't work.

But Andy isn't even playing Glen's parts is he?  From what I saw Richie was playing most of the leads anyway.  I know he played Painkiller and did a great job.  I get he is KK's replacement, but IMO that could easily be overlooked.  Seems like the band don't want to though.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1162 on: November 26, 2019, 08:14:22 AM »
I'm just asking a question here, but was there REALLY a "compelling fan outcry"?    I'm skeptical.

In any event, I think El Barto has it right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1163 on: November 26, 2019, 08:27:01 AM »

Invite him back but with the stipulation that he dyes his hair brown and stays on the right side of the stage.

And I think there is an "unspoken" outcry. Everybody but Priest, or perhaps Priest's management, would like to see him return. But like I said, I'd rather see KK with Binks and Owens than Priest, even with KK back.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1164 on: December 30, 2019, 07:26:20 AM »
Bumpetee bump.

I know there are discography threads out there, but I don't feel up for such a mammoth task, so I felt like doing something different: a shotout to lesser famous and "unkown" songs from Priest's catalogue, album by album. Got the idea browsing quickly through their entire lyrics when I had some time to kill some days ago...

What qualifies as an "obscure song" may vary from fan to fan, maybe the songs I will list are all well known to everyone who's a dedicated Priest fan, but I wanted to find in each album something worthwhile without relying on the usual hits and famous songs.

So, let's start, album from album, a shotout to "forgotten" Priest songs:

ROCKA ROLLA - Run of the Mill
The first epic by the guys, moody and melanchonic with a nice (obviously) vintage sound. A sign of things to come for sure.

SAD WINGS OF DESTINY - Dreamer Deceiver
The album famous for the first two tracks (Victim of Changes and The Ripper) has this absolute masterpiece of a song, once again an epic-ish slow piece with insanely high vocals from Rob. Again, I'm not pretending nobody but me knows these songs I'll list, I think and hope Priest fans know this, but it's not the first song people think of when reminiscing about Sad Wings.

SIN AFTER SIN - Starbreaker
One of my favorite albums, even though it's not an undisputed classic. Starbreaker talks of the title character who "comes but once a lifetime" and ironically enough, they play the song live once in a lifetime, it finally came back only for the "farewell" tour. Again, I don't think it's an unknown song, but surely not among the most famous while it should well damn be.

STAINED CLASS - Stained Class
This is the album that is loved by many, but that I don't really appreciate fully. Of course Beyond the Realms of Death is the undisputed masterpiece but Rob Halford, when solo, resurrected the title track and it was a damn fine rocking tune.

HELL BENT FOR LEATHER - Before the Dawn
A lovely, haunting and delicate ballad. Priest had a handful of these back in the days and this song is an absolute highlight of the album.

BRITISH STEEL - The Rage
In an album full of easy listening classics, this song might be overlooked but it's a fine groovy song with a great buildup. The spotlight is on the other songs, but this is one of the strongest yet.

POINT OF ENTRY - Desert Plains
Eh, here I'll cheat a bit. Not the biggest fan of the album, so I nominate what I guess is one of the most known songs of the album - but not as the opening Heading Out to the Highway - , that has been rarely played live (I guess?) while it should have been the first go-to song when wanting to homage this album.

SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE - Fever
Once again a great ballad from Priest, captivating and with a great chorus. We all know which songs got historical with this one, but the ballad here once again is on point.

DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH - Night Comes Down
With an album chock full of classic songs, I feel that also on here it's the ballad that gets overlooked. Even better than Fever and a great breather in a kickass and magnificent album before the final celebration of Heavy Duty (that flows into the title track).

TURBO - Reckless
The highlight of the album. Great rocking and catchy song that on another album would have become a minor classic. Fun fact: it was intended for Top Gun, but Priest refused because the album would have been too short and they thought the movie would suck anyway. When Top Gun became a smash hit they regretted, learnt their lesson, and so on their following album they agreed to have a song starring in a movie, Johnny B. Good.... which was the crappy movie that got them nowhere  :D

RAM IT DOWN - Ram it Down
While the album is mediocre at best, the title track was an absolute great way to start it, and should have been more famous and celebrated. It's not the best song of the album, Blood Red Skies is by a mile, but it comes in second. Too bad the album isn't nearly as strong as this one.

PAINKILLER - One Shot at Glory
It's difficult to pick an "obscure" song from this fan favorite where every song is famous, but I don't think the closing song is revered and celebrated as it should be. What a way to close an amazing album. Totally deserving to be played live more often.

JUGULATOR - Cathedral Spires
Once again a pretty safe bet, I assume most agree this is one of the highlights of the album, but still it was worth a shout out (looking at songs never played live from this record). They were able of brilliant stuff even without Rob.

DEMOLITION - Feed on Me
This album is kinda a mess and they didn't really know what they were doing but this song is catchy and is one of the things to be salvaged from this album.

ANGEL OF RETRIBUTION - Hellrider
Could have named Worth Fighting For or Eulogy, but I went for a fine heavy song, a mini-epic basically. It didn't survive its original tour, but it's top notch stuff from the reunion album.

NOSTRADAMUS -  Pestilence and Plague
The whole album is basically a forgotten one, and I could name any other song, but I go with this one 'cause it's one of the best ones in the end, with a nice groove and chorus. Could have named also the title track (Why in the blue hell they didn't play it live?) or Lost Love, such a beautiful tender ballad.

REEDEMER OF SOULS - Battle Cry
I don't think it was played live, but just as Hellrider, is a great modern song, catchy and punching. Deserving of being played live.

FIREPOWER - No Surrender
Such a short and easy song, but so catchy and effective! I consider it an higlight of a great album, probably the best one of the reunion.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 10:43:00 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1165 on: December 30, 2019, 07:33:52 AM »
Desert Plains and Dreamer Deceiver are both borderline top 5 Priest tunes for me, and I am a huge fan of Run of the Mill, Fever (most underrated Priest song ever), Night Comes Down, Before the Dawn, Ram It Down and The Rage, so I like this idea. :metal :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: December 30, 2019, 10:05:49 AM »
Cool idea.

Dreamer Deceiver is probably my favourite Priest song actually, it's just amazing.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online pg1067

« Reply #1167 on: December 30, 2019, 01:09:17 PM »
SIN AFTER SIN - Starbreaker
One of my favorite albums, even though it's not an undisputed classic. Starbreaker talks of the title character who "comes but once a lifetime" and ironically enough, they play the song live once in a lifetime, it finally came back only for the "farewell" tour. Again, I don't think it's an unknown song, but surely not among the most famous while it should well damn be.

POINT OF ENTRY - Desert Plains
Eh, here I'll cheat a bit. Not the biggest fan of the album, so I nominate what I guess is one of the most known songs of the album - but not as the opening Heading Out to the Highway - , that has been rarely played live (I guess?) while it should have been the first go-to song when wanting to homage this album.

SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE - Fever
Once again a great ballad from Priest, captivating and with a great chorus. We all know which songs got historical with this one, but the ballad here once again is on point.

RAM IT DOWN - Ram it Down
While the album is mediocre at best, the title track was an absolute great way to start it, and should have been more famous and celebrated. It's not the best song of the album, Blood Red Skies is by a mile, but it comes in second. Too bad the album isn't nearly as strong as this one.

PAINKILLER - One Shot at Glory
It's difficult to pick an "obscure" song from this fan favorite where every song is famous, but I don't think the closing song is revered and celebrated as it should be. What a way to close an amazing album. Totally deserving to be played live more often.

FIREPOWER - No Surrender
Such a short and easy song, but so catchy and effective! I consider it an higlight of a great album, probably the best one of the reunion.

Starbreaker is a really good song with a great guitar solo.

Desert Plains is one of my favorite Priest songs.  My band used to play it back when we had a singer who idolized Rob Halford (which meant that he actually sung the song like it was supposed to be sung, as opposed to our pre-existing originals....).

Fever definitely gets overlooked on Screaming for Vengeance, but it's not alone in that regard.  Bloodstone, Take These Chains and Devil's Child are all underrated Priest songs.

Ram It Down and One Shot at Glory are probably my favorite songs on their respective albums.

Firepower was the first Priest album I bought since Painkiller (other than a digital download of Nostradamus) (something I need to remedy).  Rising from Ruins is by far my favorite song on the album, but the whole album is really good, and No Surrender is one of the better songs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1168 on: December 30, 2019, 01:26:25 PM »
I'll single out Last Rose of Summer from Sin After Sin. It's an uncharacteristic song for Priest, but I was pleasantly surprised by how nicely they pull off such a lovely, chilled-out tune.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: December 30, 2019, 02:17:13 PM »
Great post and idea MirrorMask.  RID is a top Priest song for me, and I really think Night Comes Down is one of their best ballads and very underrated.

For Sin After Sin, I'd pick Here Comes the Tears.  That's a top 10 Priest song for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: December 30, 2019, 10:19:33 PM »
Great post and idea MM.

Bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Rush have such a great discography, I would respect and understand anybody having a favorite song from the entire catalogue. Well maybe if someone said that their favourite Priest song was Cyberface, I might have a couple of questions lol.

Priest has such a vast and awesome catalogue and are known for their heavier tunes, but I feel that they don’t get enough credit for the amazing ballads they have produced. A lot of guys in this thread seem to appreciate the ballads, but I don’t think the band gets the credit or acknowledgement they deserve for these gems. I would even go as far as to say that on many of Priests albums, the ballad or ballads are the stand out track.

And with Priest, many of their obscure or forgotten songs are just as good or even better than their more well known songs.

Rocka Rolla- I don’t listen to this album a lot, but I agree that Run of the Mill is a great song. But for me the title track is the stand out song. I think this would be a great song to bring out for the 50th anniversary as it’s a cool nod to where it started for the band.

Sad Wings of Destiny- Dreamer Deceiver is just spectacular and deserves any acknowledgement it gets as being a gem or someone’s favorite

Sin After Sin- This album is a good example of the heavy metal diversity of the band. Dissident Aggressor, while being a more forgotten song, is one of my personal favorites from the band. I really think it’s one of the heaviest and coolest songs of the 70’s. But the diversity comes into play on this album as they balance it out with a couple more outstanding ballads- Last Rose of Summer and Here Comes the Tears.

Killing Machine- Feel like cranking out a three minute kick ass metal song, just press play on Running Wild. Lots of hidden gems on this one including Rock Forever and Burnin Up. The ballads continue and it doesn’t get much better than Before the Dawn!

Stained Class- Title track is awesome but two other tracks that deserve major kudos are Invaders and Saints in Hell. Fates Warning did a great cover of Saints.

British Steel- This one, Screaming, Defenders and Painkiller are heavy metal royalty. Can’t go wrong with anything from this one but I agree with The Rage; and what a cool opening that song has. Also need to mention Steeler!

Point of Entry- Also agree with Desert Plains :metal. One of my favorites and I think easily one of the best songs ever from the band.

Screaming for Vengeance- I’m sure lots will agree that Hellion/Electric Eye is one of the greatest openers in metal history. Everything is gold on this one but a standout track for me has always been Bloodstone.

Defenders of the Faith- Night Comes Down=perfect ballad. And Love Bites and Eat Me Alive are such cool metal tunes!

Turbo- Priest does hair metal outstanding on this one but I agree about Reckless. Another of my favorites is the power ballad Out in the Cold!

Ram it Down- Blood Red Skies is the easy stand out on here but my personal favorite would be I’m a Rocker. Cheesy lyrics, yes of course, but it still kicks ass.

Painkiller- Touch of Evil might be one of the bands crowning achievements. Everything again on this album is gold but I need to acknowledge Hell Patrol and Between the Hammer and the Anvil.

When it comes to the Ripper albums I’m sure most would agree about Cathedral Spires. I read in a interview with Rob last week that he is open to singing some Ripper songs next year. I can’t imagine they would try and tackle this one, but that would be very cool.  In discussing albums, I should also note that 98 Live Meltdown has one of the best vocal performances I’ve ever heard. It would be cool if they brought in Ripper for a show or two next year. It seems like they are all still friends and it’s clear that Rob respects the job Ripper did filling in.

In regards to the reunion albums, the two standout tracks for me are Hellrider and No Surrender. Wow those are awesome tunes. As for Nostradamus, the song Prophecy is awesome but overall that album was just too tedious for me.

I agree Priest has lots of amazing obscure and forgotten tracks so hopefully some are played next year.

But of course Judas Priest is  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1171 on: December 31, 2019, 03:11:39 AM »
For Sin After Sin, I'd pick Here Comes the Tears.  That's a top 10 Priest song for me.

Well, I wanted to nominate that song, but I knew I would pick many more ballads from following albums and I wanted a bit of diversity. But yeah, awesome song!

Rocka Rolla- I don’t listen to this album a lot, but I agree that Run of the Mill is a great song. But for me the title track is the stand out song. I think this would be a great song to bring out for the 50th anniversary as it’s a cool nod to where it started for the band.

Killing Machine- Feel like cranking out a three minute kick ass metal song, just press play on Running Wild. Lots of hidden gems on this one including Rock Forever and Burnin Up. The ballads continue and it doesn’t get much better than Before the Dawn!

Turbo- Priest does hair metal outstanding on this one but I agree about Reckless. Another of my favorites is the power ballad Out in the Cold!

Ram it Down- Blood Red Skies is the easy stand out on here but my personal favorite would be I’m a Rocker. Cheesy lyrics, yes of course, but it still kicks ass.

Painkiller- Touch of Evil might be one of the bands crowning achievements. Everything again on this album is gold but I need to acknowledge Hell Patrol and Between the Hammer and the Anvil.

I left the one I agree with (well, not that I disagree strongly with anything but these choices are the closest to my tastes as well), I agree that Rocka Rolla is a fine little tune that could use a modern interpretation and I'm glad to see someone else mention Reckless, such a great song. I'm a Rocker is a song I heard live, and went down very well, classic short and easy live song just like No Surrender.

And yeah, Painkiller is gold from start to finish but Hell Patrol is bombastic and kicks all kind of asses  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: December 31, 2019, 03:21:34 AM »
Well maybe if someone said that their favourite Priest song was Cyberface, I might have a couple of questions lol.

You just made Scott Travis cry Jason.  :rollin

Agree with I'm a Rocker.  At least a top 20 Priest track for me, it's amazing and Glen's work on this is just brilliant.  Heavy Metal I always had a soft spot for too.

And while you're mentioning ballads, Prisoner of Your Eyes, holy shit!!  :hefdaddy

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1173 on: December 31, 2019, 03:27:46 AM »
I think Rob Halford's solo and reworked version is even better!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: December 31, 2019, 03:33:21 AM »
I think Rob Halford's solo and reworked version is even better!

I've heard that a lot of times but I just can't agree.  The solo is just magic.  I'm not a fan of that being taken out.

His version of Heart of A Lion though is awesome. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1175 on: December 31, 2019, 04:24:20 AM »
Well, fair enough.

But if we're discussing extra tracks not released on original albums, let me mention also Living Bad Dreams from the Painkiller sessions  :metal I see why they wanted to leave out a mellow song from such a balls to the walls album and there was already A Touch of Evil on the album, but it's a great song with both atmospheric and soaring vocals  :hat

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: December 31, 2019, 04:36:59 AM »
In regards to the extra tracks, Thunder Road was a super catchy tune

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: December 31, 2019, 04:56:03 PM »
Well, fair enough.

But if we're discussing extra tracks not released on original albums, let me mention also Living Bad Dreams from the Painkiller sessions  :metal I see why they wanted to leave out a mellow song from such a balls to the walls album and there was already A Touch of Evil on the album, but it's a great song with both atmospheric and soaring vocals  :hat

Should have been on the album.  Wonderful tune.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1178 on: January 01, 2020, 02:35:41 AM »
I have a few gaps in my JP collection, is Nostradamus worth checking out?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1179 on: January 01, 2020, 03:06:09 AM »
I have a few gaps in my JP collection, is Nostradamus worth checking out?

It's basically their Astonishing. I consider it a great album, full of nice songs and a few standouts one, the Priest sound is there, it's just covered in synths here and there and with a theatrical approach. Personally I consider Turbo more distant from Priest's sound than Nostradamus, but I know many fans didn't really appreciate the album.

Try to imagine what it would be like if Judas Priest made their own version of The Astonishing.... if you think it suits you, go for it! or, if you want to warm your palate to it, try to check the opening track (Prophecy) and the title track (Nostradamus) which are fairly standard Priest songs, just to get an idea that yes, it's still them in the end.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: January 01, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »
It's The Astonishing, except good.  :)

Nah, I mean that to be funny, but I don't think it's as polarizing as The Astonishing.  Yeah, it's a two CD story, but it's based in something more... tangible and is, I think, closer to the core of what Priest is than TA is to Dream Theater. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1181 on: January 01, 2020, 08:33:14 PM »
I'm a huge Turbo album fan, so I think I might just like Nostradamus  :yarr
That said I can't stand TA, in fact it's the first DT album that I passed on buying.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: January 01, 2020, 09:30:55 PM »
I made a single cd version of the album with a lot of the fluff taken out and it's excellent and much more enjoyable.  Wasn't a big fan of the double cd thing on a whole.

Yes, it's lightyears better than The Astonishing though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1183 on: January 01, 2020, 10:59:39 PM »
If this is a stupid idea, just ignore me.

But just for fun...if you are calling the shots, and Judas Priest comes to you with the Twin Turbos idea, how would you take all the material from Turbo and Ram it Down and resequence it into a cohesive double album called “Twin Turbos”? Would you leave record 1 synthy and the 2nd record heavy like it is? Or would you mix up the songs a bit to try to give it a complete “flow” of sorts?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: January 02, 2020, 07:24:11 AM »

But just for fun...if you are calling the shots, and Judas Priest comes to you with the Twin Turbos idea, how would you take all the material from Turbo and Ram it Down and resequence it into a cohesive double album called “Twin Turbos”? Would you leave record 1 synthy and the 2nd record heavy like it is? Or would you mix up the songs a bit to try to give it a complete “flow” of sorts?

The band was going to do the former, as I understand it. One album synthy and one more heavy.   

They also have several songs cut with pop producers Stock-Aitken-Waterman ("You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)", "Never Gonna Give You Up", "Venus") that have never been released.   I'd personally like to hear those.   Some of my more favorite Priest songs were the ones where they went beyond the cartoon-y "mettle" caricature. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1185 on: January 02, 2020, 04:45:55 PM »

I would probably leave them as is since they sound so different, but my real advice would be to take the best of each and make it into a single, as I only like about half of each album (at most) and a double album with that many skippers would be a mess.

Online pg1067

« Reply #1186 on: January 02, 2020, 10:43:14 PM »

I would probably leave them as is since they sound so different, but my real advice would be to take the best of each and make it into a single, as I only like about half of each album (at most) and a double album with that many skippers would be a mess.

I agree (mostly).

Releasing them together as one synth album and one metal album isn't much different than what we got:  one crappy album and one half-good album that seemed better in comparison.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: January 02, 2020, 10:57:08 PM »

I agree (mostly).

Releasing them together as one synth album and one metal album isn't much different than what we got:  one crappy album and one half-good album that seemed better in comparison.

Not sure, but maybe it's because Turbo and Metal Works were two of the early cd's I ever bought, but to me 70's and 80's Judas Priest can basically do no wrong.  I've listened to their albums many times and Turbo and Ram it Down are signs of the times, but still kick ass and have many awesome songs.  I might be biased but listening to Turbo Lover, Locked In, Out in the Cold, Hot For Love, Reckless, Ram it Down, Come and Get it, Hard as Iron, Blood Red Skies, and especially I'm a Rocker, confirms that these two albums are major kick ass.  Every other song on Turbo and Ram it Down that I didn't mention range between good-very good, so I would say these two albums are outstanding.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: January 02, 2020, 11:09:11 PM »
The only songs I'd cut from the two albums if I were forced are Wild Nights, Love Zone and Love You To Death.  Come and Get it could probably go too. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: January 02, 2020, 11:19:23 PM »
The only songs I'd cut from the two albums if I were forced are Wild Nights, Love Zone and Love You To Death.  Come and Get it could probably go too.

But you still gotta admit admit those above mentioned songs are still pretty darn good.