Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219038 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Judas Priest thread
« Reply #525 on: July 20, 2014, 04:19:32 AM »
I'm 5 songs into this album and all I hear is fucking Richie.  There's 2 short Tipton solos and the rest is dominated by the rookie, what the fuck?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #526 on: July 20, 2014, 04:38:31 AM »
Dude, what do you have against the guy? I mean, yeah, he's no KK, and I've always preferred Glenn as well, and from what I've heard of this album, it's nowhere near the top in terms of solos, but it's not atrocious.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: July 20, 2014, 05:27:42 AM »
Glenn has always been the main lead sound of Judas Priest.  He handled a lot of the solos than KK, it was never an even split.  When KK did solo, there was a lot of purpose and was a great supporter of Glenn.

The amount of mindless soloing from Richie on this record is uncalled for.  It's like the band gave the rookie room to flex his muscles and self indulge himself with mindless and average guitar playing that really doesn't deviate between the songs and really add nothing to the songs.

Priest's leads always added to the songs and were there for a reason, it's the opposite here.  I just don't understand how Glenn can be the main handler of guitar solos for 16 albums and now some new kid handles solos on every song.  There was never an album where KK plays lead on every song.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #528 on: July 21, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
First off, I have no problem with any of the solos on this album. Secondly, You're making it sound like Ritchie ran up to Glenn and beaned him upside of the head and said "I'LL TAKE ALL THE SOLOS DON'T MIND IF I DO!" Glenn clearly had no problem with stepping back-I mean, c'mon, he's in his 60s now-and the band had no problem with it either. You frankly seem to hate the guy because he's not K.K.

You really think if Glenn fucking Tipton didn't want to, he'd not take back over being the main lead guitarist? Come on, man.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: July 21, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »
I'm not saying it's Richie's fault or his doing in anyway, but I'm just saying the amount of solos he gets is annoying to me, espeically when IMO they are not up to the standard of what we know from Priest.  I know Glenn obviously would have told him to take the solos he does, but for me I don't understand this mentallity when Glenn has been the main sound behind most of their material.  I know it's probably an age thing for Glenn because some of his solos here are a bit rough, but for me, Richie doesn't sound like Priest.

I don't hate the guy because he's not KK, if you look at some of my fav albums, there's quite a few done without key members of the group, so replacements are an issue for me.  Richie made me dislike him for his live work and annoying fills in every single song after every single of every song.  He needed to play the songs how they have been played for 30 odd years, adding crap pentatonic fills don't add anything to the old material.

I will come back to this album at a later date when perhaps I'm a bit more open to it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #530 on: July 21, 2014, 06:07:28 PM »
So basically this Richie guy is the Janick Gers of Priest?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: July 21, 2014, 08:22:08 PM »

I guess to an extent, yes.  Although I wasn't a fan when Janick came into the band, so I don't know how I would have reacted at the time.  Janick has earned his place though although, it's taken a long time and a lot of fans still wish he were kicked out.  Richie unfortunately doesn't really have any time to prove anything though.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #532 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:40 PM »
I think the biggest issue with Janick is he seems like he's literally there to jump around on stage. Maiden almost never goes "three-deep" with the guitar harmonies live, even though they probably should. I have yet to see them in a situation that requires three guitar players live, so it's kind of like he's just taking up space.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: July 21, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »
I think the biggest issue with Janick is he seems like he's literally there to jump around on stage. Maiden almost never goes "three-deep" with the guitar harmonies live, even though they probably should. I have yet to see them in a situation that requires three guitar players live, so it's kind of like he's just taking up space.

Janick still being in the band is just loyalty.  They certainly don't need 3 guitarists and I think they know that.  They are just in a good steady situation that they can keep Janick around.

Saying that, studio is a different story, Maiden has valued greatly from his songwriting since the reunion, and it's that fact alone I think he is a value to the band.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #534 on: July 22, 2014, 06:15:06 AM »

I guess to an extent, yes.  Although I wasn't a fan when Janick came into the band, so I don't know how I would have reacted at the time.  Janick has earned his place though although, it's taken a long time and a lot of fans still wish he were kicked out.  Richie unfortunately doesn't really have any time to prove anything though.

I remember seeing Janick as guitarist for Gillan. I was disappointed as I really liked Bernie Torme's wild playing. I have to say I've never been a Janick fan. I rather hoped when Adrian left they would get a shredder in but I guess that would have been too obvious, like getting a decent singer in when Bruce left  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #535 on: July 22, 2014, 06:41:58 AM »

Janick still being in the band is just loyalty.  They certainly don't need 3 guitarists and I think they know that.  They are just in a good steady situation that they can keep Janick around.

Saying that, studio is a different story, Maiden has valued greatly from his songwriting since the reunion, and it's that fact alone I think he is a value to the band.

Absolutely. And Maiden is a lot about chemistry. I think the kind of guy Jannick is means a lot to Steve and the guys. It's obvious how much Dave really loves playing with him.

I wanted to ask this though..Who is Richie Faulkner, what did he do previously? How did he come to become Priest's new guitarist? He seems a lot younger, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: July 22, 2014, 07:05:32 AM »
Not much info on Wikipedia though:

"Richard Ian Faulkner (born 1 January 1980), is an English guitarist. In the early stages of his career, he played in bands such as Dirty Deeds, Voodoo Six, Ace Mafia and Lauren Harris' band. On 20 April 2011, he was appointed as the successor of K.K. Downing in heavy metal band Judas Priest."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #537 on: July 22, 2014, 07:13:28 AM »

"Richard Ian Faulkner (born 1 January 1980), is an English guitarist. In the early stages of his career, he played in bands such as Dirty Deeds, Voodoo Six, Ace Mafia and Lauren Harris' band. On 20 April 2011, he was appointed as the successor of K.K. Downing in heavy metal band Judas Priest."

Wasn't he involved in the Christopher Lee ahem "metal" albums?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #538 on: July 22, 2014, 07:14:26 AM »
1980?? So the guy is 34?

I haven't been into Priest in the last few years, but things like this don't compute to me. I'd be more interested if they had a more Old School guy with them. I feel like there'd be some type of gap in integrity or something. Yeah, it's probably my personal hang up.

But reading Wolf's posts about the soloing, I have no interest in listening to some young guy ripping leads over Priest's music.
Maybe it's a great new album, but I will not buy it until I hear the entire thing on Youtube or something, and frankly, I have no idea when that will happen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: July 22, 2014, 07:15:42 AM »

Wasn't he involved in the Christopher Lee ahem "metal" albums?

"He has also arranged music for actor Christopher Lee's heavy metal album Charlemagne: The Omens of Death, which was released on 27 May 2013, Lee's 91st birthday."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: July 22, 2014, 05:22:15 PM »
1980?? So the guy is 34?

I haven't been into Priest in the last few years, but things like this don't compute to me. I'd be more interested if they had a more Old School guy with them. I feel like there'd be some type of gap in integrity or something. Yeah, it's probably my personal hang up.

But reading Wolf's posts about the soloing, I have no interest in listening to some young guy ripping leads over Priest's music.
Maybe it's a great new album, but I will not buy it until I hear the entire thing on Youtube or something, and frankly, I have no idea when that will happen.

Yeah, pretty much.  I guess I have a problem with someone who is a nobody and 30 years younger coming in and pretty much taking over.  To me, Priest are shitting on their legacy with him, and IMO this new album sucks big time.  I'd like to know what you think if you ever listen.

Also, Richie having no credible background or being involved with anyone worthwhile, how could the band make such decisions on his status within the band?  At least Janick played with Ian fuckin' Gillan and Bruce Dickinson beforehand.  Priest should have went with Metal Mike or someone of that caliber, now that would have been something.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #541 on: July 22, 2014, 07:08:42 PM »
I don't think Priest cared about getting anybody bad ass. They got somebody who was adequate for the role and who looked like KK live. That's all they wanted or needed. Chemistry probably factored in, as well. Honestly, aside from that chemistry between the guitarists they've never really cared much about musicianship. And let's be honest here, Priest has never been known for making sound personnel decisions.

And the issue with Janick is that while he might contribute in the studio, his presence live is a detriment to their sound quality. And just as an aside, they were playing Revelations for a while which does require three guitars (might be others, I dunno).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: July 22, 2014, 07:31:27 PM »
I don't think Priest cared about getting anybody bad ass. They got somebody who was adequate for the role and who looked like KK live. That's all they wanted or needed. Chemistry probably factored in, as well. Honestly, aside from that chemistry between the guitarists they've never really cared much about musicianship. And let's be honest here, Priest has never been known for making sound personnel decisions.

And the issue with Janick is that while he might contribute in the studio, his presence live is a detriment to their sound quality. And just as an aside, they were playing Revelations for a while which does require three guitars (might be others, I dunno).

I always thought having someone who looks exactly like KK was a little strange.

There are quite a few instances where 3 guitars have been handy; Powerslave, Brave New World, Revelations as you mentioned, and the extra harmonies they added to The Trooper was a nice touch too.  Seventh Son probably works well too with the 3 guitars.

I must say though, I think Janick's live playing has improved.  i was quite impressed with him on En Vivo.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #543 on: July 22, 2014, 07:47:40 PM »
Disagree, I think it really beefs up the guitar sound. They do a good job at spreading out the rhythm playing too, with Adrian taking the low end and Janick and Dave splitting the higher sounding chords. I think it works and makes a heavier sound.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #544 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »
Personally, I think they should have gotten Mike Orlando.

:neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: July 22, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
Priest or Maiden?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #546 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:48 PM »
Both. Cut him in half. That way each half will be 50% slower and might actually play something decent.

Oh wait...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »
Yeah, not much chance of him playing something different, no matter what you do.  If he would in Maiden, Bruce and Steve would kick his fucking ass daily.  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #548 on: July 22, 2014, 09:53:04 PM »
I could see Bruce having a blast teasing him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: July 22, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »
I could see Bruce having a blast teasing him.

yeah, on stage too probably.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #550 on: October 30, 2014, 07:54:23 AM »
I'd just like to bump this topic purely out of appreciation of Rob Halford and his ridiculously amazing voice  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qENfe5iOJE4

At 63 years old and souning better than he ever has...what a guy    :metal :metal :metal

Offline emtee

« Reply #551 on: October 30, 2014, 10:00:26 AM »
RH is certainly impressive in that vid but so are the rest of the band members. They are bringin' it at quite a ripe ol' age.
Warms my heart and proves that metal is a state of mind.

Redeemer Of Souls is my #2 album of the year so far. Right up there with the best they have ever done!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: October 30, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »
Redeemer of Souls is by far my biggest disappointment of the year.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: October 30, 2014, 04:22:38 PM »

I agree. I gave it like 10 spins and Nostradamus is far superior in my opinion. There were a lot of awesome material on it and I'm even willing to overlook New Beginnings, because really, Redeemer of Souls sounds really uninspired in comparison. The only good thing is the solid digibook, but again, Nostradamus topped it with its hardbook edition.

Also, I must say, Nostradamus really grew on me lately, I mean even more than in previous six years. I've always liked the first disc, but I was kinda meh on Visions - Calm Before the Storm run, but now I only dislike New Beginnings, and that's it. I think it ranks very high in my Priest albums ranking now, and it really surprises me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: October 30, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »

I agree. I gave it like 10 spins and Nostradamus is far superior in my opinion. There were a lot of awesome material on it and I'm even willing to overlook New Beginnings, because really, Redeemer of Souls sounds really uninspired in comparison. The only good thing is the solid digibook, but again, Nostradamus topped it with its hardbook edition.

Also, I must say, Nostradamus really grew on me lately, I mean even more than in previous six years. I've always liked the first disc, but I was kinda meh on Visions - Calm Before the Storm run, but now I only dislike New Beginnings, and that's it. I think it ranks very high in my Priest albums ranking now, and it really surprises me.

Totally agree.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: October 30, 2014, 07:21:21 PM »
I'm the opposite on this one. I've never really been able to totally get into Nostradamus, but Redeemer of Souls impressed me right from the beginning.  Much better then I expected, and would also be my number #2 album of the year.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #556 on: October 30, 2014, 07:26:50 PM »
I'm the opposite on this one. I've never really been able to totally get into Nostradamus, but Redeemer of Souls impressed me right from the beginning.  Much better then I expected
All of this. Didn't have high hopes for this one but I ended up liking it a lot. Probably their best since Jugulator, maybe even better. It's a grower too, getting over the substandard singing and the production is a hurdle, but the songs are still very strong.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
I'm the opposite on this one. I've never really been able to totally get into Nostradamus, but Redeemer of Souls impressed me right from the beginning.  Much better then I expected
All of this. Didn't have high hopes for this one but I ended up liking it a lot. Probably their best since Jugulator, maybe even better. It's a grower too, getting over the substandard singing and the production is a hurdle, but the songs are still very strong.

The bonus tracks on the deluxe edition are excellent too!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #558 on: October 30, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
I've heard a lot of comments about how great Rob's sounded this tour. Youtube doesn't bear it out at all. He's relied on screaming for quite some time now, which doesn't bother me at all. Very few things in the universe make me happier than hearing Rob belt one of those out at 110dB. Yet he doesn't even have strength in the screams anymore. Listening to him try and get through Devil's Child and Jawbreaker makes me more sad than anything else.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mosh

« Reply #559 on: October 30, 2014, 08:26:56 PM »

The bonus tracks on the deluxe edition are excellent too!
Oh god yea. The bonus disc could stand as its own EP really. I hate calling them "bonus tracks" because they hold up to the  album easily. It's like a mini album.