Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 213979 times)

jjrock88 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ozzy554

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #1085 on: October 04, 2018, 06:28:24 AM »
My personal favorite Priest album is Stained Class. With Defenders of the Faith being a close second.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1086 on: October 04, 2018, 06:49:37 AM »
If we're bringing up underrated deep cuts, Here Comes the Tears.  Could be a top 10 Priest song for me.

Also, Traitor's Gate fast becoming one of my fav Priest songs.  Could sneak into a top 20 at the moment, perhaps higher.

I LOVE "Here Come The Tears".   Sin After Sin is a great album.  I think Dissident Agressor is the only song that doesn't really move the needle for me. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: October 04, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »
If we're bringing up underrated deep cuts, Here Comes the Tears.  Could be a top 10 Priest song for me.

Also, Traitor's Gate fast becoming one of my fav Priest songs.  Could sneak into a top 20 at the moment, perhaps higher.

I LOVE "Here Come The Tears".   Sin After Sin is a great album.  I think Dissident Agressor is the only song that doesn't really move the needle for me.

The album has great variety and a few different things for the band which worked well.  Not your standard Priest album.

:metal :metal

I dont know how it slipped by me when the album first came out.  The riff, the lyrics, Rob sounds brutal and in great character, that melody after the solo, everything about this song is close to perfect.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1088 on: October 04, 2018, 04:34:24 PM »
My personal favorite Priest album is Stained Class. With Defenders of the Faith being a close second.

Even though I have never loved The Sentinel as much as most seem to, I do love me some Defenders of the Faith.  Those chords at the beginning of Night Comes Down are heavenly.

:eek :eek

Dissident Aggressor is awesome!  :metal :metal

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: October 04, 2018, 04:44:52 PM »
Dissident Aggressor has to be one of the coolest and heaviest songs of the 70's.  That might be my favorite song on the SAS album.

Priest has always been underrated when it comes to their ballads.  I think they excelled in that category, and I would personally put Night Comes Down at or near the top.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1090 on: October 04, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »
Yep, Night Comes Down and Before the Dawn are both amazing tunes.  Dreamer Deceiver is incredible as well (although that is more of a slow burner than a ballad).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: October 04, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »
I love Dreamer Deceiver too.  I think I posted a link to a version from the Old Grey Whistle Test here a while ago; if you can't find it it's worth seeking out that clip.  Rob sings like an angel.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1092 on: October 04, 2018, 07:01:13 PM »
I can't get into it. I really don't see what is special about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #1093 on: October 04, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
Yes, Dreamer Deceiver really stands out to me whenever I come back to SWoD.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: October 04, 2018, 07:50:27 PM »
I love Dreamer Deceiver too.  I think I posted a link to a version from the Old Grey Whistle Test here a while ago; if you can't find it it's worth seeking out that clip.  Rob sings like an angel.

I think thats on the Electric Eye DVD?  Its amazing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1095 on: October 05, 2018, 04:22:16 AM »
Priest has some tremendous ballads. Before the dawn has always been a huge favorite of mine, but I also love Last rose of the summer.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1096 on: October 05, 2018, 05:00:21 AM »
A Touch of Evil is where it's at for me. It's got just the right amount of bite to it to sit comfortably as a sole ballad among such hard-hitting metal tracks.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: October 05, 2018, 05:51:37 AM »
A Touch of Evil is where it's at for me. It's got just the right amount of bite to it to sit comfortably as a sole ballad among such hard-hitting metal tracks.

Good call mate.

Welcome also!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: October 05, 2018, 07:37:05 AM »
Im on the fence; I listened to Screaming... again yesterday and it was just so good, I'm on the cusp of a big Priest kick.   I don't know whether to go to SaS and keep it going, or risk it all and hit Painkiller to see if it's any better than I remember...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: October 05, 2018, 02:56:20 PM »
Im on the fence; I listened to Screaming... again yesterday and it was just so good, I'm on the cusp of a big Priest kick.   I don't know whether to go to SaS and keep it going, or risk it all and hit Painkiller to see if it's any better than I remember...

This is tempting me also.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1100 on: October 05, 2018, 05:26:19 PM »
I've been listening to a lot of Priest this week.  :metal :metal

I think I am still the only Priest fan who doesn't genuflect to the song Painkiller.  It's good, but I can name dozens and dozens of better songs.

I don't really think of A Touch of Evil as a ballad, but semantics aside, it is a killer song and one of the best Priest ever did.  :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1101 on: October 06, 2018, 04:47:31 AM »
The ballad of the album should have been "Living Bad Dreams", which was shelved for pacing reasons and then released as bonus tracks.

If you never heard it I guess it's easy to track, check it out 'cause it's quite good!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1102 on: October 06, 2018, 10:03:58 AM »
The ballad of the album should have been "Living Bad Dreams", which was shelved for pacing reasons and then released as bonus tracks.

If you never heard it I guess it's easy to track, check it out 'cause it's quite good!

It's okay. Not sure I like how Halford's voice sounds when singing the chorus.  Had it been included on Painkiller, it definitely would have been the weak link.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: October 07, 2018, 04:06:31 AM »

One of the best bonus tracks ever for sure.  I love Halford on this one and the solo is classic Tipton.  It's quality but I guess I can see why it was left off, would be hard to place.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: October 07, 2018, 06:28:12 AM »
Living Bad Dreams and Thunder Road were my favorites of the Priest reissue bonus tracks.

Prisoner of Your Eyes is a good track too, but I actually liked the Halford version on Live Insurrection better.

Heart of a Lion is another great tune that the band should have finished.  I think the version on Metalogy is still a demo.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1105 on: October 07, 2018, 07:23:56 AM »
Prisoner of Your Eyes is a good track too, but I actually liked the Halford version on Live Insurrection better.

100% agreed!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1106 on: October 07, 2018, 08:03:16 AM »
I do like Prisoner of Your Eyes quite a bit.

Does anyone else not consider Painkiller a top 5 track from its own album?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1107 on: October 07, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »

This is tempting me also.

I’ve got a “best albums from 1980-84l usb in the car. Priest will be heavily featured. It was point of entry today. British Steel a few days ago.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1108 on: October 07, 2018, 05:42:06 PM »
I do like Prisoner of Your Eyes quite a bit.

I think the whole album is weak. One Shot at Glory is a great song, but the rest I can do without. Painkiller is one of the better songs of the remainders, but that's not saying a lot.

What PK does have going for it is that since the chorus can be screamed it's still a song Rob can belt out live and still sound like a boss.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1109 on: October 07, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »
The whole album is weak? ??? ???

I am guessing you are going to get some push back on that one. :P  :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: October 07, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »
I think Painkiller is one of the defining heavy metal albums in the entire genre, so obviously I disagree with that  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1111 on: October 07, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »
I think Painkiller is one of the defining heavy metal albums in the entire genre, so obviously I disagree with that  :lol

Right, especially after they went through the motions from the mid to late 80's. They came back an ass kicking classic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1112 on: October 08, 2018, 01:14:23 AM »

Exactly.

I consider Painkiller a top 5 track from the entire history of heavy metal.

(Well, maybe not so literally, but it is a genre defining song)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: October 08, 2018, 05:22:27 AM »
Painkiller is the definition of heavy metal for me.  If I were abducted by aliens and they asked me to take them to my leader, I'd just play them Painkiller.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1114 on: October 08, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
I think I'm going to play Painkiller today  :metal

Pretty good chance it will be played loud too.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1115 on: October 08, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »

Yeah, I was definitely expecting it. An overrated album in my book, but then my interest in the guys pretty much dried up when Turbo came out. You're hard pressed to find a more stark dropoff than the one from Defenders to Turbo.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1116 on: October 08, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »

Yeah, I was definitely expecting it. An overrated album in my book, but then my interest in the guys pretty much dried up when Turbo came out. You're hard pressed to find a more stark dropoff than the one from Defenders to Turbo.

You’d be hard pressed to find a more stark step up ftomTurbo/RiD to Painkiller.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: October 08, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »

I'm with Bart on this.  Painkiller just doesn't connect with me.  I get it's place in the sequence, and I'm not a huge fan of Turbo by any stretch, but that run is sort of what convinced me that Priest was a notch below Maiden.  I thought Priest fell into the same trap as Iommi when Dio was on board: the music was written more to expectation than any real inspiration.   Harsh, I know, but you listen to Screaming... now, or Killing Machine, or Stained Class and it wasn't "metal, metal, metal, obligatory ballad, metal...." and that's what seemed like Painkiller was.  They DID try something different with Turbo, it got shit on, and so back to formula. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1118 on: October 08, 2018, 10:58:49 AM »
Priest was always trying to follow the popular sound. From PoE all the way to the Ripper albums they seemed to follow the trends. SfV and DotF are excellent albums, but they're also exemplary of the era they were made. Turbo tried to follow the popular trends and it's just not what people wanted from them. RiD was a buildup to PK where they were chasing the thrash bands. Admittedly they did better at that, but it's not really what I want from Priest, or what I think Priest does well.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1119 on: October 08, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
There was a definite drop off in quality from DofF to Turbo, but as a fan of the genre they were chasing with a Turbo I still enjoy it. RiD was poor by comparison, though it has grown on me and would be better with Scott Travis on drums rather than a machine.

Painkiller isn’t a go to Priest album for me but there are several great tracks on it. The title track was a statement of intent and I enjoy it, but prefer probably half the album.