Author Topic: Karnivool - Asymmetry (2013) [orig Sound Awake - (2009)]  (Read 52253 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Karnivool - Asymmetry (2013) [orig Sound Awake - (2009)]
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »
Saw them live yesterday in the Melkweg in Amsterdam. First show of the Europe tour. Here's my impression of the concert.

SETLIST SPOILERS BELOW

At the start of the gig, the guys went on and stuff just wasn't working. The whole band were just standing on stage, but the backing track that was supposed to play didn't start. And so the band were sorting things out for a few minutes, trying different connections with the cables etc.. weird popping noises were coming out ultra loud over the PA, and eventually 'New Groove' by Periphery started playing over the PA. A really strange beginning to the show!

By the time they launched into the first track ('Nachash'), you could still feel the uncomfortableness of the band members. It was like they weren't having fun at all yet, and the backing track failed a few times too, during the song. The overall sound was pretty bad too.

Second track, 'AM War', no change in attitude/joy either. The experimental and relative difficult structure/groove of both songs didn't help either. To be honest, those tracks are pretty cool on record, but as an opening to a live show they just didn't cut it for me.

All this time, there was a pretty disturbing hum noticeable in between songs, and in quiet parts. Imagining the band is hearing that all the time through their in-ears, they still did a pretty good job.

Highlights:

Themata
Simple Boy - with real xylophone! and of course the sludgy bass guitar.. damn.
Set Fire to the Hive - as far as aggression/energy go, this was THE highlight.
New Day - they closed with it, and it was just as beautiful as the previous gig I went to. Everyone was singing along, and this was really the magic moment of the show.

Disappointments (not quite the right word though.. maybe 'things that could've been better):

No 'Deadman' or 'Change'.
'Aeons' and 'Alpha Omega' were nice, comparable to the above two songs but not quite as impressive.
Lots of waiting time in between songs. The set didn't flow at all.

If I had to grade this, it's an 8, but a 6.5 for Karnivool. I'm sure the band learns from this instantly, and will change their game for the rest of the tour if that's possible. This was quite a bumpy ride for the band, but in the end everyone was having a great time. So that's that. If they come again, I will be in the audience rocking out and hopefully that show will be as professional as can be.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2015, 03:52:19 AM »
I just read on Karnivool's website that they're planning vinyl releases of their albums in April (so, about now), but I can't find any information more than that. the preorder-link leads to nothing, the official merch shop doesn't even mention there's vinyl, and the only informations I found on the internet are from last year or older. Does anybody know if and when these things are sold?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2015, 10:46:39 AM »
i saw the Vinyl releases announcement when it was made a few months ago and assumed I was going to get Themata, and then priced it out and I recall it being about $50 or $60 to import, and I kind of lost interest. If it receives a US release, I will definitely think about it.

« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2015, 04:10:01 AM »
That's a lot of money. And they said something about it being an exclusive australian release. I'm still curious if the vinyls do exist or not. I found no proof so far. But, like you said, when it's $50 or more including shipping and everything, I wouldn't buy it anyway.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2016, 11:13:04 AM »
Bump!

They're back in the studio presently.  I never saw any sort of announcement of this, but I have it reliably from another forum (the head guy at Darkglass pedals is developing a pedal with Jon Stockman, and he said the prototype is currently being used in the sessions for their new album).  Hopefully the new one is a little more focused...Asymmetry was good, buck it lacked momentum.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2016, 02:57:14 AM »
That's great news! I really hope they are going to do a European tour after it, Karnivool is probably the band I look most forward to seeing live.

Hopefully the new one is a little more focused...Asymmetry was good, buck it lacked momentum.

I agree, though this album has the most stand out songs for me (We Are, Aeons and Alpha Omega) the album doesn't flow as well as the previous two. Still an amazing album though.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2016, 10:31:19 AM »
Karnivool is amazing! I got into them around July and they're my favourite band right now! I can't wait to hear what's in store on the next album!

...Of course, we do have a potential preview of things to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmEeCcFpvJs

Offline home

« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2016, 04:30:26 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbwzDgwWuUY&feature=youtu.be

Here's another live video of a new song, I think it's called Animation. I quite like the direction their taking here :azn:

Offline j

« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2016, 07:28:40 PM »
These gentlemen cannot put out music fast enough for my liking!!!   >:(

-J

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
So I've been aware of this band for quite a long time but never got around to listening. I heard Themata through the 'Discover Weekly' Spotify playlist and I loved it.

Am I right in thinking this band only have three full albums? Any recommendations on which to start with. I'm going to be on a huge Dear Hunter/Devin Townsend binge for the next few days, at least, so won't be checking out all three Karnivool albums.

Queue you guys  :tup

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
Dammit, saw a post and thought there was news about the release for the next one!

There is technically a album (maybe an EP) preceding Themata, but it's pretty unremarkable form what I've read.

I would start with Sound Awake, which is pretty much a masterpiece.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »
I don't know if I'm alone in this, probably, but the "Set Fire to the Hive EP" consists of 4 songs. And they're my exact top 4 Karnivool songs. So as far as introducing people to the band goes, that's my perfect way to go. The EP is on spotify and contains the song you listened to (Themata), Set Fire to the Hive, Roquefort (With Empire Horns) (this is a song from their debut album re-recorded with a brass section from The Cat Empire) and Deadman.

If this seems like too much trouble, just start with their best album:

Sound Awake
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »
Dammit, saw a post and thought there was news about the release for the next one!

Yea, sorry about that  :blush

Cheers for that Train. That EP is only £1.99 on iTunes. I'll give it a listen later if I can drag myself away from The Dear Hunter  :lol

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »
Three of those four aren't may favorites, but Deadman is maybe the perfect song that sums up what the band is about.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »
bump.

https://twitter.com/kcirtap1337

a bit odd what's happened to their twitter page, name changed and most of their activity has vanished.

I hope this doesn't mean anything bad  :-\

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »
Weird. Great band. Saw them open for porcupine tree five years ago, i think, in san fran. Ran out and bought the catalog.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »
bump.

https://twitter.com/kcirtap1337

a bit odd what's happened to their twitter page, name changed and most of their activity has vanished.

I hope this doesn't mean anything bad  :-\

I think they just got hacked, and whoever deals with their social media is just asleep at the switch.  Last I heard they were recording.  I also know that their bass player (Jon Stockman) has a signature pedal (made by DarkGlass) about to debut at NAMM, and it's called the "Alfa Omega"...and he was using it on the new album.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2017, 09:06:46 AM »

Offline home

« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
So has anyone seen any kind of update on what Karnivool is doing? During the summer I saw an update from Drew doing some recording for the new album, but I've seen nothing since. I can't wait for the new album, especially since I've basically listened to the four songs floating around on YouTube from live shows to death. Interesting to note, this is the first time they've broken their 4-year cycle. 1997-formation, 2001-Persona EP, 2005-Themata, 2009-Sound Awake, 2013-Assymetry, 2017-???. I was hoping they would follow but it's not out yet :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »
Indeed, where are these guys at now? I would love to see something new, especially with everything they've learned from Asymmetry. Which was good, but to my ears not as good as Sound Awake.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2020, 01:02:47 PM »
'Themata' is now available in streaming platforms. One of my favorite Alternative/Nu Metal albums ever released, if not my favorite. Nu Metal albums haven't aged very well for me, but this is one of the very few exceptions. Really shows they strived for a different sound since their beginning.

:metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »
I wouldn't really consider it a nu-metal album, but I agree it's very great, and I've been Spotifying this a lot since it came back on Spotify!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2020, 01:20:37 PM »
I wouldn't consider it nu-metal either. I've had it uploaded to my Google Play music account for years, so I didn't even realize it wasn't actually on there. (It still isn't, but Google Play music is often forgotten for a while)

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2020, 05:20:01 PM »
It definitely has some Nu-Metal influence carrying over from their earlier days, especially L1FEL1KE which was recorded in 2001.

They were going to do a mini anniversary tour for Sound Awake featuring the album in its entirety, but it got postponed due to the pandemic. Hopefully it won't have to be postponed again, I would like to see live footage of those shows.

They are still apparently working on album #4... I wonder if the reason it's taking so long is because it will be a double album? :o

Offline T-ski

« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2020, 06:01:36 PM »
Rick Beato breaks down a Karnivool song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfoF88I-e7Q
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #201 on: April 24, 2020, 05:25:51 AM »
I watched it last night.  I love Beato's videos.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline home

« Reply #202 on: April 24, 2020, 09:08:12 AM »
Awesome video. Just love how Karnivool makes these kind of rhythms sound so groovy  :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2020, 09:33:08 AM »
'Themata' is now available in streaming platforms. One of my favorite Alternative/Nu Metal albums ever released, if not my favorite. Nu Metal albums haven't aged very well for me, but this is one of the very few exceptions. Really shows they strived for a different sound since their beginning.

:metal

I LOVE the record and don't consider it nu-metal in the slightest.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2020, 09:42:30 AM »

Great video. Love the detail he explains everything with. Such killer complexity.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2020, 05:26:14 PM »

Great video! He pretty much put into words what I couldn't and more. Funny that the time signature is described as 27/4 which is ridonculous. I find it much easier to just split it into changing times than have a super long bar. :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #206 on: July 24, 2021, 05:52:09 PM »
email sent out today:

Welcome

Hello new friend.

Thanks for signing up to karnivool.com

Over the next year we have a hectic schedule planned, and hope to visit old friends and new all over the planet in support of our new album.

You will hear about it first, so tighten the seat belt and batten the hatches. It is (finally) coming!

Karnivool

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2021, 03:54:25 PM »
Ooooooo. If that's a new email, colour me excited. I still know to just be patient until it's here, but still exciting!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2021, 01:15:05 PM »
email sent out today:

Welcome

Hello new friend.

Thanks for signing up to karnivool.com

Over the next year we have a hectic schedule planned, and hope to visit old friends and new all over the planet in support of our new album.

You will hear about it first, so tighten the seat belt and batten the hatches. It is (finally) coming!

Karnivool

Can't wait!  :metal

Offline pfillion