Author Topic: Karnivool - Asymmetry (2013) [orig Sound Awake - (2009)]  (Read 51831 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Karnivool - Sound Awake (2009)
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2013, 08:34:30 AM »
I can't wait. Sound Awake is incredible and their performance at the Lowlands festival in 2011 was amazing. Absolutely nothing wrong with this band.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2013, 01:09:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KRMkKF1vkQ

https://www.facebook.com/karnivool/posts/10151639947631163

Folks! Things are afoot.
Get yourself over to Karnivool.com
Feast your eyes & ears and sign up

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2013, 05:04:18 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
new song "The Refusal"

https://karnivool.com.au/exclusive-single/download.html

Heard that one the radio the other day, I thought it was incredible.  Looks like I have to start checking out this band more.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
new song "The Refusal"

https://karnivool.com.au/exclusive-single/download.html

Heard that one the radio the other day, I thought it was incredible.  Looks like I have to start checking out this band more.

Listening to it now. Not bad, I'll be sure to keep the upcoming album on my radar! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2013, 12:46:54 AM »
New video "We Are":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_E5ae9ZTwk

The album drops July 5. Here's a little taste of the possible album cover too. I like it:

Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2013, 12:48:19 AM »
Fuck man I was going to post that

I'll post the cover though

MODS PLEASE CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE PLEASE

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
New video "We Are":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_E5ae9ZTwk

The album drops July 5. Here's a little taste of the possible album cover too. I like it:

July 19th I believe, but that's just down under. The North American and European release dates are pending still.

1. Aum
2. Nachash
3. A.M. War
4. We Are
5. The Refusal
6. Aeons
7. Asymmetry
8. Eidolon
9. Sky Machine
10. Amusia
11. The Last Few
12. Float
13. Alpha
14. Om

Both regular and Deluxe editions (deluxe includes a DVD and the cover art from the post above)
https://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/karnivool-asymmetry.htm

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »
I am EXTREMELY excited about this...knowing the announcement is coming has had me on something of a 'vool bender the last couple of days.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline j

« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »
Looking forward to it!  Announced just a month before release!

-J

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »
Decent song, I liked The Refusal better though.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Karnivool - Asymmetry (2013) [orig Sound Awake - (2009)]
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
Damn they're sounding advanced. Especially 'We Are' the beat is perceivable in basically two different subdivisions. If you know how to trick your mind to hear it both ways, it's almost like two radically different songs.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »
Just finished listening to the new album and its fine and everything, but just doesn't measure up to Sound Awake.

SA just felt like a perfect album from beginning to end, with consistent quality and a really decent flow. The new album just feels somewhat disjointed and inconsistent. Don't get me wrong, I do really like it, but my heart will always belong to Sound Awake.

Offline adace

« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
Just finished listening to the new album and its fine and everything, but just doesn't measure up to Sound Awake.

SA just felt like a perfect album from beginning to end, with consistent quality and a really decent flow. The new album just feels somewhat disjointed and inconsistent. Don't get me wrong, I do really like it, but my heart will always belong to Sound Awake.
I feel the same way about the new one.

Offline j

« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »
Just listened to it on youtube; really good stuff.  Way too early to compare it to their other albums yet.

The songs I had already heard (Refusal, We Are, something else I think) were my least favorite.

-J

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2013, 10:47:45 PM »
I ordered the cd/dvd version.  :tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2013, 11:29:30 PM »
I've heard of these guys a while back and the song I heard must have been the wrong one for me.
For a better description, I found them to be too alt/rock/screamo/nu for my taste, so I filed them in the not for me bin.
From reading the local music press I knew they were local, and that they had a new album coming out.
So I checked out the, 'We Are' video and really liked what I heard. I specially like the singer.

So today I went to my local music store, I was intending to buy the CD/DVD, until I saw the price, $34.99 for a local release is ridiculous.
Now I do pay that but for Japanese or European imports, but no way in hell for a local release.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2013, 12:06:53 PM »
I really enjoyed Asymmetry. Sky Machine and Eidolon are absolutely outstanding songs.

I feel like this album felt more along the lines of Themata rather than Sound Awake. That's not exactly what everyone would prefer, of course, but as I prefer Themata (I know, heresy right) I was quite pleased with this album.

That being said, I need more listens to determine how much I really like it, though.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2013, 09:28:04 AM »
After several listens this album does pretty much nothing for me. It also sounds worse too: they should definitely consider bringing back the guy who produced and mixed Sound Awake.

I don't think this record will be a grower too: Sound Awake was, but I was still blown away at first listen by many of the tracks (Simple Boy, New Day, Set Fire to the Hive, Deadman etc). So far, I only really like the track 'Sky Machine'.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
The new one is just as good as Sound Awake.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2013, 10:52:46 AM »
they should definitely consider bringing back the guy who produced and mixed Sound Awake.

so you want them to use someone to mix an album that has the cymbals sounding so compressed, they constantly clip? Because they do on Sound Awake constantly. I listened to it probably 15 or 20 times back in 2009 and while many of the songs were well-written, the cymbals sounded like a HIGH PITCHED TONED TAMBOURINE on literally 3/4 of the songs.

This new record, while the jury is still out a bit for myself, at least the mixing of the cymbals is CLEARLY BETTER, as I haven't noticed any high level of compression on 1 single track thus far.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2013, 08:21:50 AM »
they should definitely consider bringing back the guy who produced and mixed Sound Awake.

so you want them to use someone to mix an album that has the cymbals sounding so compressed, they constantly clip? Because they do on Sound Awake constantly. I listened to it probably 15 or 20 times back in 2009 and while many of the songs were well-written, the cymbals sounded like a HIGH PITCHED TONED TAMBOURINE on literally 3/4 of the songs.

This new record, while the jury is still out a bit for myself, at least the mixing of the cymbals is CLEARLY BETTER, as I haven't noticed any high level of compression on 1 single track thus far.

Funny you mention this because I have heard about this 'cymbal' problem on Sound Awake. I'm not bothered by it though. I'm bothered by the mix of Asymmetry. It sounds like I'm listening to a crappy youtube or mp3 version, while I'm streaming it on Spotify in 'extreme quality'. Adding to that, the sound of the entire drumkit sounds overcompressed this time. Seriously, this album is way more compressed than Sound Awake was. Sound Awake sounds open and has dynamics, this one is pushing it all the time while sounding muddy as well.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »
I don't think I can agree, I think it sounds great and the songs are awesome too. Liked it on first listen, although I've only heard it twice now. I'll pay some attention to what it actually sounds like (production wise) the next time.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2013, 09:37:52 AM »
The new one is just as good as Sound Awake.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »
I really enjoyed Asymmetry. Sky Machine and Eidolon are absolutely outstanding songs.

I feel like this album felt more along the lines of Themata rather than Sound Awake. That's not exactly what everyone would prefer, of course, but as I prefer Themata (I know, heresy right) I was quite pleased with this album.

That being said, I need more listens to determine how much I really like it, though.

Loved, LOVED "Themata."

"Sound Awake" was too.....weird....for me.  The songs I've heard from this new one sound like more of the same, so I guess I'll pass. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2013, 02:42:18 PM »
I ordered the cd/dvd version.  :tup

Me too. As a result, I listened once to the stream and avoided really looking at too many comments. I scrolled and found this and wanted to reply. I can't wait til it comes. Wish they wouldn't have delayed release of the deluxe until Aug. 6 though. I want it!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »
Just listened to it and my first impression is that the second half of the album is much better than the first one. It didn't feel as strong as Sound Awake on the first tracks but it takes off from Aeons on. I like what I heard. I don't really know if it can surpass Sound Awake, but this is not a bad album at all. Guess It will take a few more listens to know.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2013, 09:33:39 PM »
I'm nearing the end of my first proper listen (the first listen was during a very stressful morning commute, and so I barely even noticed it).  Anyway, safe to say that they didn't stick with any sort of formula for this one!  So far I'm liking what I hear, but I feel like it will take a while to digest.

The bass tones are other-worldly...
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline j

« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2013, 10:08:15 PM »
Just listened to it and my first impression is that the second half of the album is much better than the first one. It didn't feel as strong as Sound Awake on the first tracks but it takes off from Aeons on.

I agree, second half is much stronger than the first.

At this point I don't think it's on par with Sound Awake or Themata, but it's pretty solid.

-J

Offline Basekick

« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »

Wait, is this actually regarded as heresy?  Because I enjoy Themata A LOT more than Sound Awake.  That album has some of the best heavy rock tracks in the past decade: Cote, Themata, Roquefort, Shutterspeed.  I love those four songs more than anything else in their library.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
Ok, I've spun it a lot over the last few days (including a through near all-nighter), and I've got to say...I love it.  It sounded sort of all-over-the place for the first 2-3 listens, but then it suddenly made sense.  I still need to spend a little more time on the last few tracks, but it's all coming together now.  I'm not going to rank it versus any of the others...they're all different enough that that it wouldn't be fair...

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2013, 06:09:07 AM »
I have to take a huge walk of shame and say this album rocks, contrary to my first impressions. I've been listening to it almost non stop while being on vacation, and the album is great and sounds great too, especially on headphones.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2013, 01:05:38 AM »
Sky Machine now ranks among my 5 favorite Vool songs. Amazing song.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »
couldnt we have renamed this thing "The Karnivool Appreciation Thread" or something retarded like "Karnivool...blow?" ?