Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 93541 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #315 on: March 27, 2017, 08:45:05 AM »
Been a fan since forever, they're one of the earliest metal bands I've started to listen to.

Utmost respect, praise and admiration for them, it's just that being a fan since 20 years and more some side effects appear:

- I'm sick of the older songs, I don't listen to them anymore just like I don't listen anymore for the 400.000th time The Trooper or The Number of the Beast;

- I've seen them live quite a lot and they've never been like Portnoy in approaching the shows, so half of the set kinda bores me (but they tour rarely enough for each time to be a treat).

Furthermore, I repeat my total admiration and appreciation also for that genius that is Hansi Kurch, but let me tell you that for all the slack James LaBrie gets with DT, you should try to be a Blind Guardian fan with that same mindset, you'd want Hansi's head on a spike for his live performances and his continuing loweing of an octave of 50% of all the vocal lines.

Still, I dearly love them, also for personal reasons (being a regular at their forum made me have a lot of friends, both italian and foreign - I owe to Blind Guardian all the friendships that allowed me to visit Germany several times) will forever call them one of my favorite bands, and I look forward to see them again all the future times I will get!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:35:55 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: March 28, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »
I've seen them 3 times now, most of the setlist was the same all three times.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #317 on: March 29, 2017, 07:25:08 AM »
Been a fan since forever, they're one of the earliest metal bands I've started to listen to.

Utmost respect, praise and admiration for them, it's just that being a fan since 20 years and more some side effects appear:

- I'm sick of the older songs, I don't listen to them anymore just like I don't listen anymore for the 400.000th time The Trooper or The Number of the Beast;

- I've seen them live quite a lot and they've never been like Portnoy in approaching the shows, so half of the set kinda bores me (but they tour rarely enough for each time to be a treat).

Furthermore, I repeat my total admiration and appreciation also for that genius that is Hansi Kurch, but let me tell you that for all the slack James LaBrie gets with DT, you should try to be a Blind Guardian fan with that same mindset, you'd want Hansi's head on a spike for his live performances and his continuing loweing of an octave of 50% of all the vocal lines.

Still, I dearly love them, also for personal reasons (being a regular at their forum made me have a lot of friends, both italian and foreign - I owe to Blind Guardian all the friendships that allowed me to visit Germany several times) will forever call them one of my favorite bands, and I look forward to see them again all the future times I will get!

Hansi (the band) does frequently alter a melody to suit his vocal capabilities more, but musicially it is usually sound. Not all songs work this way though, especially in Imaginations, Opera, and Nightfall songs. But in older BG bootlegs (around Nightfall/Opera), the band often sang out of tune which, to my ears, is much worse. I enjoyed the live feeds of Wacken 016 and Rock Hard 016 (there is a proshot out there) and thought Hansi sounded good.

I am very fond of Labrie in general, but to me his mumbling and out of tune notes can severly impact my enjoyment of a DT concert. Thus far I have been fairly lucky in that regard, only the first Astonishing show I saw was a bad Labrie. But looking at the bootlegs of this tour, I really wish DT would take the approach of BG in this regard, because some songs absolutely don't work anymore.

I've seen them 3 times now, most of the setlist was the same all three times.

Looking at setlist.fm, the overlap between my two shows was 7 songs out of 20ish (granted, this was a 5 year difference). The other two shows here were decently different as well (one was of the same tour and had a couple of other songs and the other one was where they played Imaginations in full).

I do agree with you guys on this though. While I absolutely love hearing Mirror Mirror, the Bard's song etc. live, I would like it if they visit some more songs that weren't (prominent) in their live repretoire before. Usually when they change up a setlist it seems to mean they pick from their usual live song pool we all know from their live releases.

This is one aspect of DT I do really like, every show/tour I have seen had 0 overlap.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #318 on: March 29, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »
Does anyone else enjoy Savage Circus? 

After seeing BG and going back through all of their records, I had a big hankering for anything that sounded like them.  I hadn't paid much attention to Savage Circus before, but checked them out again and love that they continue the Tales/Imaginations style.  They completely ape the BG guitar tone, the vocalist is eerily similar to Hansi and they just go nuts with that power/thrash sound that the band had in the 90's.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #319 on: March 29, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »
My complaints about BG's setlists are null with The Bard's Song. That song is so special, with everyone singing along, that each time is like the first time and I always get shivers from those moments.

About Savage Circus: I like the "BG-like" album they've done, I like it a lot. But to me it's the ultimate proof that there was no point in re-doing forever that kind of album and style, the've perfected it with Imaginations so in the long run they would have become another band that does the same kind of album over and over.

About Blind Guardian's originality, I personally think they hold a record of an unbroken line of improvement for six album straight. I consider Nightfal better than Imaginations better than Somewhere better than Tales better than Follow better than the debut.

Rule Nightfall out, and still you've got five albums in a row where each one is better than the previous. I really can't think of any other band with such a long winning streak.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #320 on: April 20, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
Just listened to an interview with Hansi (see their fb, stems from a while back).

In regards to the upcoming live album:
-Release likely this summer (mixing in early 2017)
-20 songs selected from mainly the entire Beyond the Red Mirror EU tour
-Video material is out there from some shows, maybe they'll use it for promotional materials

In regards to the Wacken show (2016):
-They are currently mixing the full show and consider a separate release or use it as a bonus for a future album.

Sounds good to me, but I think they have an opportunity to top Live in terms of the amount of songs, because they have played 40 songs (most of which they have at least several recordings). I'd be interested in a special edition with an additional disc.

About Blind Guardian's originality, I personally think they hold a record of an unbroken line of improvement for six album straight. I consider Nightfal better than Imaginations better than Somewhere better than Tales better than Follow better than the debut.

Rule Nightfall out, and still you've got five albums in a row where each one is better than the previous. I really can't think of any other band with such a long winning streak.

Yes, I agree. I definitely include Nightfall. While there are many modern BG songs I prefer over most older material, I think the album streak you mention is unmatched in terms of progression of musical direction and each album has a perfect pacing and feels incredibly coherent.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: April 20, 2017, 05:10:49 PM »
Nice, I remember them saying in NYC that they were recording for the album, but sounds like NA songs aren't likely to make the cut.  I'd buy it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: April 21, 2017, 06:04:39 AM »

Yes, I agree. I definitely include Nightfall. While there are many modern BG songs I prefer over most older material, I think the album streak you mention is unmatched in terms of progression of musical direction and each album has a perfect pacing and feels incredibly coherent.

I agree with this however there's also the fact that after those records they went down significantly. A night at the opera is still a pretty good album but from then on it has been all pretty meh to me.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #323 on: April 21, 2017, 06:56:10 AM »
Also, they finished recording the orchestral music for their orchestral project. Hansi will soon (now? interview is from a while ago) start recording them and it is due for next year they think. Not sure what to expect, they have been tinkering/writing on that for so long now. Still, Wheel of Time and At the Edge of Time (song) were once part of it, and I love those songs. I recall reading And Then There Was Silence was as well, but I am not sure (the orchestral album is something that has been in their plans ever since Nightfall I think).

I agree with this however there's also the fact that after those records they went down significantly. A night at the opera is still a pretty good album but from then on it has been all pretty meh to me.

Not for me, but the albums have become less consistent and tend to sound way worse (in terms of sound production). Each of the modern BG albums has been a massive grower for me to the point I never really stopped listening to many of the songs on those albums. But I rarely listen to their newer albums as a whole.

ANATO was a bit too much for me. I love some of the songs, but it is consistently over the top and has like 100000 Hansi's singing at nearly every moment. Twist was more straightforward but I love it, though in my opinion it is also their most monotonous album and it has their weakest instrumental performance and Hansi sounds less expressive that many of their other (post Tales) works. ATEOT is an exception, I think the album is consistent and sounds good, but it also bring relatively few new elements to the table. It kind of feels like a "best of" collection consisting of new songs. Red Mirror has mostly great to fantastic tracks, but I don't think it paces very well as an album and some songs are a bit too dense (like with ANATO), the sound is off as well. The plot is inconceivable to me, even with liner notes. But I genuinely think Red Mirror is one of Hansi's best albums in terms of vocal melodies and performance, which is why I really love the album.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #324 on: April 21, 2017, 07:04:39 AM »
Beyond the Red Mirror is so massively complicated that in retrospect it makes look ANATO an easy album.

Out of the latest album, as "safe" as it may have been, I happen to like At the Edge of Time very much, is the pefect balance between the old school and the new orchestral approach.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #325 on: April 21, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »
Beyond the Red Mirror is the best thing they've done since Nightfall.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: April 21, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »
Beyond the Red MirrorAt The Edge of Time is the best thing they've done since Nightfall.

Fixed for me.

Honestly, I'm surprised by the love for BtRM since it didn't seem to get much love here when it was released.  I kind of feel the same as ErHaO with regards to this album.  There's some really good songs, but it's a really hard album to listen to in whole.  Some of the songs just seem to get long and boring and there's a lack of punch.  I think it's grown a bit on me since release and seeing BG twice live since it's release, but it's still far from being top tier BG for me.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #327 on: April 21, 2017, 02:50:29 PM »
Beyond the Red MirrorAt The Edge of Time is the best thing they've done since Nightfall.

Fixed for me.

Honestly, I'm surprised by the love for BtRM since it didn't seem to get much love here when it was released.  I kind of feel the same as ErHaO with regards to this album.  There's some really good songs, but it's a really hard album to listen to in whole.  Some of the songs just seem to get long and boring and there's a lack of punch.  I think it's grown a bit on me since release and seeing BG twice live since it's release, but it's still far from being top tier BG for me.

ATEOT would be my second favorite post-Nightfall album for me.  Then would be Twist.  Last is ANATO.  BTRM took some time to grow on me, but then again, most of their albums do.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #328 on: May 08, 2017, 08:00:47 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/blind-guardian-to-release-live-beyond-the-spheres-concert-album-in-july/

3 CD live album!  :metal

I've seen better covers from them honestly.

Tracklist is quite good, pity Miracle Machine and The Holy Grail didn't make it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: May 08, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
Tracklist is quite good, pity Miracle Machine and The Holy Grail didn't make it.

It's hard to complain about the tracks when there are so many songs included, but I feel like they missed a chance to release a lot more of the rarer stuff they did play over the course of the tour as well as more new songs like you mentioned.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #330 on: May 08, 2017, 09:18:23 AM »

It's hard to complain about the tracks when there are so many songs included, but I feel like they missed a chance to release a lot more of the rarer stuff they did play over the course of the tour as well as more new songs like you mentioned.

The last live record was for the A Night at the Opera tour.  Since then, they've released 3 albums and had to make room for songs like Fly, Sacred Worlds, and all of the Beyond the Red Mirror tracks. 

I'm bummed that there's no Welcome to Dying, but at least there's a few older tunes on there like Banish from Sanctuary.  The Last Candle is a pretty rare track, and there hasn't been a live audio release of And Then There Was Silence or And The Story Ends.

I think it's a pretty good mix of the fan favorites, newer songs, and a handful of rarer songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: May 08, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
All those songs are on the live DVD though.  Those songs mentioned are not the ones I was talking about though.

Here is the track listing with bolded the songs included on thier last live release (some also included in Tokyo Tales).  I get that they need to include some of the staples like Mirror Mirror, The Bards Song, Valhalla, and Nightfall, but I think they could of replaced Lord of the Rings, Bright Eyes, Into the Storm,  Majesty, Banished from Sanctuary with say... Miracle Machine, The Holy Grail, The Curse of Feanor, Guardian of the Blind, Blood Tears, Skalds and Shadows... (all songs played on the Euro leg referenced where they recorded all these songs).

CD1

01. The Ninth Wave
02. Banish From Sanctuary
03. Nightfall

04. Prophecies
05. Tanelorn
06. The Last Candle
07. And Then There Was Silence

CD2

01. The Lord Of The Rings
02. Fly
03. Bright Eyes
04. Lost In The Twilight Hall
05. Imaginations From The Other Side
06. Into The Storm

07. Twilight Of The Gods
08. A Past And Future Secret
09. And The Story Ends

CD3

01. Sacred Worlds
02. The Bard's Song (In The Forest)
03. Valhalla

04. Wheel Of Time
05. Majesty
06. Mirror Mirror

When I read the article it said there were rare songs included, and honestly it seems like they mean "new songs" in replace of "rare" .  I'll be getting this regardless, but it just feels like a missed opportunity.  But I guess it's also possible the sons I mentioned didn't come off as well live.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #332 on: May 08, 2017, 01:19:17 PM »
Will buy without a doubt and I look forward to it, but I am slightly dissapointed by the list.

-Guardian of the Blind. I think they nailed this song live, why is it not here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub4VzJR5NDU
-Blood Tears. The altered chorus melody may annoy some fans, but I would've really liked this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW3fNgCrKUE
-Miracle Machine. It worked fine live, this one or Skalds would've added to the overall album.
-Time what is Time. A classic and one that was only on Tokyo Tales back in the day.
-Wizard's Crown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5ArpH4GH8 That one is not from this tour, but they played it.
-Barbara Ann. For the hell of it, it's simply fun.  ;D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMIkiueuyEc

I understand not including Curse of Feanor. Fantastic song, but the vocals don't really work live, probably not even with a much younger Hansi. But the songs I mentioned above? Oh, and that cover is pretty bad.

That said, in itself the setlist is great because I love pretty much all of these songs, so I can't complain too much. But I really hope we will get some of the outtakes. They did release outtakes for Live I believe, via a torrent.

The last live record was for the A Night at the Opera tour.  Since then, they've released 3 albums and had to make room for songs like Fly, Sacred Worlds, and all of the Beyond the Red Mirror tracks. 

I'm bummed that there's no Welcome to Dying, but at least there's a few older tunes on there like Banish from Sanctuary.  The Last Candle is a pretty rare track, and there hasn't been a live audio release of And Then There Was Silence or And The Story Ends.

I think it's a pretty good mix of the fan favorites, newer songs, and a handful of rarer songs.

While I agree. I also have their boxset, which includes the audio CD of Trough the Looking Glass, so technically some of those songs have seen an official live release.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: May 08, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
Yeah, this is a definite purchase for me, and the setlist is alright as far as I'm concerned, but I'm really surprised and disappointed that Blood Tears isn't in the setlist. That was one song I was really looking forward to hear, I thought it was really good live and hoped that it would make the official release.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: May 26, 2017, 06:28:37 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: May 26, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »
That's awesome, makes me really want a DVD  :metal :metal :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #336 on: May 26, 2017, 06:42:55 AM »
I will see them live in a month!  :metal 2nd of July, they headline a power / epic metal festival in Milan  :coolio

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #337 on: May 26, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »
That editing...At least they could've made it more smoother. Some parts don't match the song and feels off.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #338 on: June 01, 2017, 06:53:46 AM »
Clip is nice, but nothing will top Mirror Mirror from Live (especially due to the cool higher harmony-ish vocals hansi does over the crowd in the chorus).

In regards to the sound they seem to go for a more clean "isolated" production, which is fine by my ears, though the crowd/environmental sounds are a bit less prominent as a result. I think this sound production will work well for the songs that don't rely on crowd interactions a lot (especially newer songs like Wheel of Time, Prophecies etc.).

And in regards to a potential DVD, Hansi said they also mixed Wacken 2016 for a potential future release. I really like that performance (far better than the two other Wacken shows in my opinion, and a nice setlist), but the thing is, it is online in it's entirety already (unlike the other Wacken shows). Sure, I'd like better sound production but I won't run to the stores for just Wacken 16. I also have a pro-shot concert of I think Rock Hard on my PC and that one is a good watch as well, with pretty good sound. But for a real standalone dvd I wish they do something not available already.

As for Live beyond the Spheres, I am going for the vinyl boxset, which looks very nice and has a good pricetag, 40 euro's for 4 vinyls in a nice box with booklet (see that Dream Theater? Screw your Astonishing box for 100 euro's).

That editing...At least they could've made it more smoother. Some parts don't match the song and feels off.
Yeah, agreed, that seems to be a thing for them. Through the looking Glass has the same issue.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: June 01, 2017, 07:25:43 AM »
I'd buy a Wacken 2016 video if it was on blu-ray, probably not if only released on DVD.

Offline Art

« Reply #340 on: June 01, 2017, 07:52:07 AM »
it doesn't sound live....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #341 on: June 01, 2017, 10:02:43 AM »
I will just leave this here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVg8eP7KPNQ

Holy shit, did Steve Harris edit this?

Online countoftuscany42

« Reply #342 on: June 01, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »
I'd buy a DVD of Wacken 2016 to relive what a great show that was  :tup

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #343 on: June 09, 2017, 06:22:29 AM »
So they just announced that after their current tour, they will probably have another break until 2019, so about two years.

My (optimistic) guess is we will see three BG releases in the coming two years. The upcoming live album, the orchestral project (Hansi recently did the vocals, so all material should be ready for mixing now), and I expect a new regular album when they start touring again, if the break really is that long. Probably another Sinbreed album and tour and another Demons and Wizards in terms of sideprojects.

I'd buy a DVD of Wacken 2016 to relive what a great show that was  :tup

Well, I am extremely jealous, because Wacken 016 is already blast to watch at home.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: June 09, 2017, 12:34:34 PM »
Sucks it'll be some time for more music from them, but they deserve a break of course.

Prophecies Official Live Video

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #345 on: June 09, 2017, 01:05:36 PM »
For those in the mood of some more live recordings, here is Hellfest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nTTgbb0I4E&

Sucks it'll be some time for more music from them, but they deserve a break of course.

Prophecies Official Live Video

Haha, 4:50 came out of nowhere.

Sounds good, I love this song, but the backing vocals are a bit too much in the back and they could've used a tad more crowd/surrounding noise for that live feel, in my opinion. Also, the Hellfest performance of Prophecies above is actually quite a bit more heavy/energetic in my opinion (Hansi's vocals), and the backing vocals are mixed in better.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #346 on: June 10, 2017, 04:58:42 AM »
I don't think I'm going to bother with another BG live album.
With the box set I already have 3 live sets and this one doesn't offer enough different songs to warrant a purchase.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #347 on: June 13, 2017, 10:07:28 AM »
I don't think I'm going to bother with another BG live album.
With the box set I already have 3 live sets and this one doesn't offer enough different songs to warrant a purchase.

Yeah, I get that. Spread across the three discs there is still like 50 minutes of new(er) material, but they could've done so much more had they included Blood Tears, Otherland, Guardian of the Blind, Curse of Feanor, Miracle Machine, Skalds and Shadows, This Will Never End, and Wizard's Crown (looking at setlist.fm). To me it is dissapointing that they are releasing a three disc live album and then don't use this big format for something to diversify their discography.

I really hope they will release a bonus disc with a couple of the aforementioned absent songs one of these days.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: June 23, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »
Official live video for Twilight of the Gods:
https://youtu.be/C4TorvOfBWE
 :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #349 on: June 28, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »
Official live video for Twilight of the Gods:
https://youtu.be/C4TorvOfBWE
 :metal

The best one thus far, despite it being my least favourite song (studiowise) out of the three vids released. The instruments sound way better than on the album and the lack of overdubbed choirs and some of the high notes actually make the song sound more coherent.

Hansi actually sung the first high notes at the beginning of Twilight of the Gods at the concert I was (partially at least), but I don't miss them here.