Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 94371 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #350 on: June 29, 2017, 02:55:34 AM »
Sunday is coming - I will see Blind Guardian live!  :metal they're headlining the "Battlefield metal fest" where also Ensiferum, Turisas, Grave Digger and Firewind will be present.

They will be playing the whole Imaginations from the Other Side album, something that as a longtime fan that has seen them many times I'm not terribly excited about - it's like if Maiden would announce they'd play the whole Number of the Beast album... "yay, can't wait to hear The Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills and Hallowed Be Thy Name at the same concert  ::) "

Still, as saturated the album is for me when it comes to live performances, I've realized that last time around I've seen only And the Story Ends off it, they didn't even play Imaginations, and it's been a while anyway that I've last heard Mordred's Song and I'm Alive, and I can't wait to go crazy over Another Holy War  :metal HIT ME, NAIL ME, MAKE ME GOOOOOOD  :metal

Wet dream: they play The Curse of Feanor!!! fingers crossed on this one.... and there's also a meet n' greet with them, I'll try to attend it, it will be overcrowded for sure but in many years of following them, I never had a pic with them so this may be a great occasion.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: June 29, 2017, 07:10:12 AM »
Mirror, I felt the same as you.  It's a lot of the same songs they always play.... but Mordeds Song!  I love that song and to me, was worth it to play the entire album just to hear that, and plus the others you mentioned.  They'll have time to play some other songs too so you may get some other gems hopefully.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #352 on: June 29, 2017, 07:23:04 AM »
Mordred's Song was basically the song that made me realize that I like Blind Guardian. It will be nice for sure to hear it, but as I said above, Another Holy War is my "The whole album is worth to hear that song alone" song.

Fun fact: when they toured for At the Edge of Time, a buddy of mine met Hansi before the show, and "bribed" him (he had a gift, don't remember it was wine or something else) into playing Another Holy War, since they never seemed to play it in the italian dates, so Hansi agreed and they played it - when he started to announce the song by saying "Someone earlier told me that we never played this song here in Italy...", I knew the mission was accomplished  ;D

I swore him eternal gratitude ever since.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: June 29, 2017, 07:30:25 AM »
 :metal :metal that is awesome

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #354 on: June 30, 2017, 01:10:08 AM »
I haven't heard Red Mirror for over year, didn't really think too much of it really when it came out.
So I decided to load my ipod for work with stuff I haven't heard in ages.
Had it on today at a pretty low volume, but sounded really good, far better than I remember.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #355 on: July 03, 2017, 01:43:23 AM »
If I counted correctly, yesterday marked the 12th time I saw Blind Guardian live. And it was a blast!!!!  :metal the band was on fire and Hansi was excellent, he sang quite a lot of the high lines and never seemed to struggle or to rely too much on the lower register. Impressive performance from him, one of his best that I've seen for sure!

The whole Imaginations album was a tremendous experience live. Yeah, before the show I can coldly reason that those songs have been played plenty of times, but when you're there, in the excitement of the experience, singing along with old time friends you just go with the flow and enjoy the hell out of it.

With bands that one listens since so long, it's great to hear songs I literally haven't heard in years (like Welcome to Dying for example), but the moment they start the words come out of my memory anyway. And I also got to hear the majestic Sacred Worlds, which wasn't played last time they toured here - the two encore openers were Into the Storm and Wheel of Time when they toured for Beyond the Red Mirror.

The only pity is that I couldn't attend the meet n' greet - it was so crowded that they finished their time when the queue was still long, after 20 years or so of listening to them I never had a chance to talk to them properly and a meet n' greet with a photo with all of them would have been nice. Uh well, better lucky next time, it's not that my long story with BG is gonna end anytime soon  :hat

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #356 on: July 03, 2017, 09:46:26 AM »
I was listening to some Live stuff while reading interviews in anticipation of Live Beyond the Spheres, and some interesting recent tidbits:

-Orchestral album will consist of all original songs telling a story that blends actual history and fantasy, they specifically mention the Czech Republic in regards to the plot.
-Musically it really is just an orchestra with Hansi, no other bandmates.
-Some parts and/or songs were actually written while they were writing Nightfall in Middle Earth. That was the birth of the project.
-Hansi's vocals are not yet finished but the plans are to do so by the end of this year, plans are late 2018 or early 2019 it seems. Some songs are already finished.

-They also have two new songs written for a "normal" Blind Guardian album, they aim for 2020.
-In regards of the new live album and the lack of songs like Curse of Feanor, they have them lying around in good quality and official bootlegs or bonus releases are still a possibility in the future.

If I counted correctly, yesterday marked the 12th time I saw Blind Guardian live. And it was a blast!!!!  :metal the band was on fire and Hansi was excellent, he sang quite a lot of the high lines and never seemed to struggle or to rely too much on the lower register. Impressive performance from him, one of his best that I've seen for sure!

The whole Imaginations album was a tremendous experience live. Yeah, before the show I can coldly reason that those songs have been played plenty of times, but when you're there, in the excitement of the experience, singing along with old time friends you just go with the flow and enjoy the hell out of it.

With bands that one listens since so long, it's great to hear songs I literally haven't heard in years (like Welcome to Dying for example), but the moment they start the words come out of my memory anyway. And I also got to hear the majestic Sacred Worlds, which wasn't played last time they toured here - the two encore openers were Into the Storm and Wheel of Time when they toured for Beyond the Red Mirror.

The only pity is that I couldn't attend the meet n' greet - it was so crowded that they finished their time when the queue was still long, after 20 years or so of listening to them I never had a chance to talk to them properly and a meet n' greet with a photo with all of them would have been nice. Uh well, better lucky next time, it's not that my long story with BG is gonna end anytime soon  :hat

Awesome! And funny to hear you mention Another Holy War above. Blind Guardian was the first metal concert (in 2010) where I went for the artist specifically, and I lost my mind when they played Another Holy War, which was my favourite song back then.

I haven't heard Red Mirror for over year, didn't really think too much of it really when it came out.
So I decided to load my ipod for work with stuff I haven't heard in ages.
Had it on today at a pretty low volume, but sounded really good, far better than I remember.

I really like Beyond the Red Mirror, but it remains a tough pill to swallow when taken as a whole and the mixing is odd, but not necessarily bad (it doesn't sound brickwalled and I can hear a lot of the different elements when listening on a proper stereo). Honestly I think in some cases the orchestra's and choirs maybe made it a bit too busy. The bonus track Doom doesn't have those and the music "breathes" a bit more as a result. But still, there is plenty to love on Beyond the Red Mirror for me personally.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #357 on: July 10, 2017, 07:49:59 AM »
I really like Beyond the Red Mirror, but it remains a tough pill to swallow when taken as a whole and the mixing is odd, but not necessarily bad (it doesn't sound brickwalled and I can hear a lot of the different elements when listening on a proper stereo). Honestly I think in some cases the orchestra's and choirs maybe made it a bit too busy. The bonus track Doom doesn't have those and the music "breathes" a bit more as a result. But still, there is plenty to love on Beyond the Red Mirror for me personally.

I think the muddier guitar tone is what does it for me.  I like the classic sounding BG tones! 

I bought the digital version of Live Beyond the Spheres - haven't had much time to really absorb it, but it's nice to have live versions of the newer songs like Fly, Sacred Words and Wheel of Time.  I saw them in 2016 on their US Imaginations tour, so it's also pretty cool to have a live release from the Beyond the Red Mirror tour cycle, where I saw them play some of these songs (BG Live has more from Imaginations, specifically, but listening to LBTS brings me back to seeing the show and them opening with Ninth Wave, etc.).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #358 on: July 11, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
I love the new live album. I first had to get used to the the low crowd noise and sometimes the background vocals are a tad too much in the background (differs on a song by song basis). But overall, the sound is really clear and everything the musicians do is clearly audible.

My highlight is probably Wheel of Time, this version sounds awesome. And then There Was Silence is awesome as well. A couple of high notes less than on their dvd perhaps, but Hansi's singing is much more intense. In general, I think each of the new(er) songs is great, especially the longer epics. The oldschool BG songs like Majesty and Lost in the Twilight Hall are very fun listens too, and the ballads sound and are sung better than on their previous live releases in my opinion. All the Imaginations and Nightfall songs are good, but not my personal highlights.

Taken as a whole, this is a quality release and I will likely listen to it for years to come. And I never mind hearing some new renditions of songs I love, though I still wish they included some of the rarities they played during the tour in favour over some of the Imaginations/Nightfall songs (or just on top of it, the three discs have plenty of spare space).

Here's their Ninth Wave Live clip btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn3-uhU6AyY
Awesome performance.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: July 11, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
I still need to get this, but it's not a high priority.  I will eventually get to it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »
I was hoping for a DVD but I haven't seen any news of one. Probably because they used recordings from different shows. The ones they've used as teasers for the album are excellent.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #361 on: March 08, 2018, 11:08:45 AM »
Guest performance of Hansi on a Judicator song (don't know the band):

https://judicatormetal.bandcamp.com/track/spiritual-treason-ft-hansi-k-rsch

I like it, it is nice hearing Hansi on a more oldschool powermetal song.

Anyways, I hope we will get some orchestral album news soon.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #362 on: March 08, 2018, 11:35:36 AM »
I wouldn't call myself a Judicator fan, but that was a nice surprise to have Hansi in there. Nice heavy track. Hansi also appears on the new Orphaned Land, he's not there much but he does a great job as usual.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #363 on: June 19, 2018, 08:13:12 AM »
Some info from a recent interview:

-Hansi completed the vocals for 9 out of 11 songs of their orchestral project. Will wrap up in a few weeks.
-Orchestral project tells a story based around the 17th century.
-Confident we will finally see its release in 2019.

-Demons & Wizards will be the focus of Jon and Hansi as soon as Jon wraps up touring and Hansi wraps up orchestral project recording.
-Considering doing D&W liveshows somewhere next year.

-It is not out of the question Blind Guardian will not tour for two years in total, not set in stone how long live hiatus will last.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #364 on: June 19, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »
I'll believe it when I see it, but... I hope we're finally almost there for the orchestral album  :metal

I hope it can live up to the 20 years of hype.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #365 on: June 19, 2018, 08:29:32 AM »
The orchestral thing will be cool, but I'm really happy that Hansi and Jon are both taking time to focus on Demons & Wizards.  The second album felt like it was just thrown together compared to the first, where both of them got together to write.  So with them finally blocking out some time for a third album, I'm hoping that it will be huge.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #366 on: June 19, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
Haha wow are they still doing that? Must be over 10 years since the "orchestral project" rumors started?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: June 19, 2018, 08:50:34 AM »
Dude, my copy of A Twist In The Myth has an 'interview' track at the end that's like 12 minutes long and they talk about the orchestral album in there, 'possibly coming out in 2008' or something. That album came out in 2006. I don't believe it's ever coming out, and even if it does, it will not have been worth a 13 year wait
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #368 on: June 19, 2018, 09:58:36 AM »
Haha, yes. The idea stems from the time during recording of Nightfall in Middle Earth and I believe they have been mentioning it ever since. In their defense, I think several songs originally intended for the project were released troughout their regular albums. Don't recall specifically which though. And offcourse they have been recording with orchestras quite a bit over the last decade or so, so in a way they have been doing smaller orchestral projects.

I do wonder if fantasy writer Markus Heitz is still involved. That collab was anounced almost 8 years back and the writer said it was still in the works back in 2016, in which the writer said he expected release in two years (which wouldn't be that far off if it actually comes in 2019). Also initial plans were that the writer made a novel about the concept. At least Blind Guardian already made a song based on a game based on his books (The Dwarves).

And I have no idea what to expect at this point, in terms of quality and direction of songs.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #369 on: June 19, 2018, 05:34:42 PM »
I think this is different though - at least for me it is.  It's not like they've been doing nothing and hinting at the next album for the past 10 years.  They've at least been putting out music and touring.  Maybe they mentioned the orchestral thing a long time ago, but I don't mind it taking a long time.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #370 on: June 27, 2018, 08:02:06 AM »
More news! Soon the first four BG albums will be rereleased on CD and vinyl. See their facebook.

The CD releases will be two discs, one containing the original version and the other one being a more recent remix, new mastering (as per the descriptions). Can't find which version is on the vinyl. Tales and Somewhere Far Beyond seem to be the mixes from the 2012 boxset but remastered. Anyways, I like this approach to rereleases, include both the original version and a newer version.

Furthermore, and this excites me more, this year will likely also see a rerelease of Nightfall of Middle Earth on vinyl containing two songs from back in the day that were cut (I assume newly recorded?). One of which we already know, it is bonus song Doom from their last album, except this time with the lyrics restored to connect to Nightfall in Middle Earth. The other one is called Tides of War.

(Someone on the Blind Guardian forum mentioned this and indeed Hansi stated this in a recent interview about Lord of the Rings.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: June 27, 2018, 08:37:32 AM »
Don't really care for re-issues but some bonus songs sounds cool

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: June 27, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »
Are they just reissues or are they remastered as well?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #373 on: June 27, 2018, 09:14:06 AM »
On September 14th 2018, Germany-based progressive power metallers BLIND GUARDIAN will re-release their first 4 studio albums via Nuclear Blast! The back catalog has been remixed and remastered, and will be available as 2CD-Digi and black vinyl formats, as well as individual colored vinyl for each album. There will also be a vinyl box available, including all re-issues exclusively available via the Nuclear Blast Mailorder (see details below). The vinyl box can be also purchased separately as an empty slipcase without vinyls.

At the end of this year and also in early 2019, more re-issues are due to follow, so in total there will be 10 BLIND GUARDIAN re-releases. The previously mentioned re-issues due for 14th September 2018, which can be pre-ordered now, are available in the following formats:

1. Battalions Of Fear (1988), remixed 2007/remastered 2018
•2CD-DIGI (remixed/remastered CD+original CD)
•Black LP in gatefold
•NB MAILORDER ONLY violet LP in gatefold

Track list:
1.Majesty
2.Guardian Of The Blind
3.Trial By The Archon
4.Wizard‘s Crown
5.Run For The Night
6.The Martyr
7.Battalions Of Fear
8.By The Gates Of Moria
9.Gandalf‘s Rebirth

2. Follow The Blind (1989), remixed 2007/remastered 2011
•Black LP in gatefold
•NB MAILORDER ONLY green LP in gatefold

Track list:
1.Inquisition
2.Banish From Sanctuary
3.Damned For All Time
4.Follow The Blind
5.Hall Of The King
6.Fast To Madness
7.Beyond The Ice
8.Valhalla
9.Don‘t Break The Circle
10.Barbara Ann

3. Tales From The Twilight World (1990), remixed 2012/remastered 2018
•black LP in gatefold
•NB MAILORDER ONLY gold LP in gatefold

Track list:
1.Traveler In Time
2.Welcome To Dying
3.Weird Dreams
4.Lord Of The Rings
5.Goodbye My Friend
6.Lost In The Twilight Hall
7.Tommyknockers
8.Altair 4
9.The Last Candle
10.Run For The Night (live)

4. Somewhere Far Beyond (1992), remixed 2012/remastered 2018
•Black LP in gatefold
•NB MAILORDER ONLY blue LP in gatefold

Track list:
1.Time What Is Time
2.Journey Through The Dark
3.Black Chamber
4.Theatre Of Pain
5.The Quest For Tanelorn
6.Ashes To Ashes
7.The Bard‘s Song – In The Forest
8.The Bard‘s Song – The Hobbit
9.The Piper‘s Calling
10.Somewhere Far Beyond
11.Spread Your Wings (not on vinyl/only on CD)
12.Trial By Fire (not on vinyl/only on CD)
13.Theatre Of Pain (classic version) (not on vinyl/only on CD)

ALSO NB MAILORDER ONLY:
•BOX 1: slipcase incl. 4 gatefold vinyl: »BoF« LP (orange+white splatter), »FtB« LP (blue+neon yellow splatter), »TftTW« LP (white/grey bi-coloured), »SFB« LP (white/red bi-coloured) – offers space for 10 vinyl in total (-> also for the upcoming BLIND GUARDIAN re-issues)
•BOX 2: empty slipcase – offers space for 10 vinyls in total

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: June 27, 2018, 09:22:19 AM »
Noinch! Thanks Grappler.

Not sure how to feel about remixing and remastering the first four, honestly - there is a rawness to the production that really adds to the vibe of those records. Could be good or bad - I hope they release a track or two for the sake of comparison. Really hope they didn't get too ambitious though because there's a simplicity to those songs that shouldn't be mucked with.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #375 on: June 27, 2018, 09:36:48 AM »
I would be all over that vinyl box if it didn't have those silly randomly coloured vinyls. I like colored vinyls, but only if it connects with the album art or relates to the music/title. Maybe I will order that empty BG vinyl box that fits 10 vinyls so I can fill it with BG material myself.

Noinch! Thanks Grappler.

Not sure how to feel about remixing and remastering the first four, honestly - there is a rawness to the production that really adds to the vibe of those records. Could be good or bad - I hope they release a track or two for the sake of comparison. Really hope they didn't get too ambitious though because there's a simplicity to those songs that shouldn't be mucked with.

It will be older remixes, as stated.

The first two albums seem to be 2007 remixes, with Follow the Blind being a remaster from 2011 (probably the same is in the boxset?) and a new 2018 mastering for Battalions.

I assume the other two are the remixes from the 2012 boxset with new 2018 masters.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: June 27, 2018, 09:39:37 AM »
I don't think I've heard the '07 remixes so I'm still in the dark on those - my CD copies are really, really old. I only know the original mix. :2metal:

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #377 on: June 27, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »
Didn't they just remix and remaster them last year?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #378 on: June 27, 2018, 11:58:59 AM »
Still, if they are doing rereleases, I kind of hope they will do more bonus stuff in the future ones. As Hansi stated Nightfall will contain the two new old songs on vinyl, I think it would be neat if they included other stuff in other releases as well (which I assume are coming sooner or later). They are sitting on a massive amount of live recordings, for example. If they do that, buying some of these albums again would be a non-brainer to me.

Didn't they just remix and remaster them last year?

Actually, looking at Spotify, some of them, yes (remastered) :lol

I think that was mainly due to the fact Nuclear Blast obtained the rights to their back catalouge and they wanted to release them on streaming services/iTunes. However, as far as I could tell, the differences in those versions were fairly minimal (if at all and they just slapped 2017 on them?).

These new releases are cool to me due to several reasons: The albums will finally be available on vinyl (without costing like 200-300 euros) and vinyls tend to sell better than CD's in at least the EU. You can now buy the original versions new again, which are preferred by many but have not been available for decades. And the remixes of 2012 were only available in an expensive boxset. Some of these mixes, for better or worst, do sound pretty different.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #379 on: July 23, 2018, 08:35:04 AM »
Forgot if I ever shared this here (probably did), so here goes:

https://www1.wdr.de/mediathek/video/sendungen/rockpalast/video-rockpalast-blind-guardian---rock-hard-festival--100.html

It is a 1:45 hour-long pro-shot Blind Guardian concert at Rock Hard Festival 2016, in very good quality. The sound is very clear and since it is way smaller than something like Wacken, it is a more "intimate" viewing. I think it is a very good performance and worth a watch for those (like me) still waiting for an official live DVD of the sorts (to me, this one feels close to watching an official release). Site is the official source and I haven't seen this one on the likes of YouTube, making me feel this concert flew under the radar of many fans.

Anyways, the setlist:

The Ninth Wave
The Script for My Requiem
Nightfall
Fly
Tanelorn (Into the Void)
Prophecies
The Last Candle
Lord of the Rings
Time Stands Still (at the Iron Hill)
Journey Through the Dark
Imaginations from the Other Side
Sacred Worlds
Valhalla
The Bard's Song - In the Forest
Mirror Mirror
Majesty

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #380 on: July 23, 2018, 08:46:04 AM »
That's nice, I'll check it out!

I think I've heard Journey through the Dark only once in my BG "carrer", I would havel oved to hear that one.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: July 23, 2018, 10:48:34 AM »
Haven't listened to much Blind Guardian in a while but I will check that out, these guys used to be my favorite band when I was younger.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: July 23, 2018, 10:54:08 AM »
That's a cool setlist and great quality video from my quick glimpse, thanks for sharing ErHao.  I'll have to watch more some other time not at work though.  Was bummed they didn't release a live video from their last tour.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: July 27, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »
Watching the concert right now. It sounds so good that I have to think there was some kind of studio post-production on it. And you have to love just how good Hansi is, not only because he can still sing really good, but because he is smart on when to push his voice and when not to. And by doing so he manages to give a new dimension to the songs that is pretty interesting.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #384 on: July 29, 2018, 05:40:40 AM »
Watching the concert right now. It sounds so good that I have to think there was some kind of studio post-production on it. And you have to love just how good Hansi is, not only because he can still sing really good, but because he is smart on when to push his voice and when not to. And by doing so he manages to give a new dimension to the songs that is pretty interesting.

Yeah, it sounds really good, so much better than the vast majority of festival streams, wouldn't be surprised if they worked on it after the concert took place. And Hansi indeed sounds great here. I generally prefer it over their latest live release. And the band plays really thight as well.