Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 94897 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #280 on: March 01, 2015, 04:00:25 AM »
I couldn't be assed giving this album another chance, disappointing.
Couldn't be assed to get through the entire thing, let alone doing it more than once. Hate hearing that from myself since I'm a huge BG fan.

I hear ya man.  :-[
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: March 01, 2015, 04:33:53 AM »
I'm kind of the opposite, I don't think I love the album so far, but I kind of like it. Somehow I just want to keep coming back to it to discover new stuff, and some songs are really growing on me.

I wish The Ninth Wave had different chorus, and I also wish Sacred Mind wouldn't exist in this universe at all. It's just awful. I don't think I was that disappointed with the new BG song since I've became a fan (which was in 2004 I think).
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: April 03, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »
The setlist from the Krefeld show:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-guardian/2015/kulturfabrik-krefeld-germany-53cb579d.html

I'm not spoilering it here, but I have to say I'm kind of baffled with the new album song choices.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: April 03, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »
The setlist from the Krefeld show:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blind-guardian/2015/kulturfabrik-krefeld-germany-53cb579d.html

I'm not spoilering it here, but I have to say I'm kind of baffled with the new album song choices.

I looked at that earlier and was surprised myself.  I wonder if they will rotate some of those new songs like they did on the last tour.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2015, 03:29:30 PM »
Had some extremely pressing deadlines, so did not post for a while (Evermind can still expect my reply to the roulette final  ;)).

But I saw BG last friday, they were awesome!

Setlist worked great and I am glad they left Bright Eyes, Welcome to Dying, LotR, Traveller in Time etc. to make room for some less played classics. "Acoustic" set was a great interlude as well. It was also awesome that they used War of Wrath to set up the first encore and then the orchestral intro of Sacred Worlds for the second encore. Three hype building intros on one evening. I finally got Imaginations, Mordred's Song (!!!), Journey Trough the Dark and Into the Storm live. Now my only big wish is ATTWS.

As for the new song choices, maybe the London crowd can convince you:

-Ninth Wave is absolutely a blast live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfeVl9r_1QI&t=4m2s
-Miracle Machine is a nice change of pace:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD4-tMtvfcU
-Twilight was actually really well recieved as well at the concert I was. The performance felt a bit off though.
-Prophecies was played really well and one of my favourites of the new album, but I missed a certain spark live. It works better as a studio song, alltough Hansi did great (a bit to my surprise to be honest, he is in great shape now, with frequent high pitched screams and higher clean singing, which I thought he lost a bit over the years).

Aaand they are recording a new live album!!!! (audio). Therefore they are recording many shows if not all this tour. I hope one of the songs with my voice shouting along makes the cut  ;D Live is one of my most listened discs ever, probably.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:46:00 PM by ErHaO »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »
Yeah, Live is super awesome. New live album would be great indeed, and about time too. The last one was released in what, 2003?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: April 15, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »
Yeah, Live is super awesome. New live album would be great indeed, and about time too. The last one was released in what, 2003?

Imaginations Through the Looking Glass is one of my favorite concert DVDs.  Sucks they are only doing audio, but I'm glad they are doing one anyway because they have enough new material since then to have a full concert without repeating songs (although there definitely will be plenty of that). 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #287 on: April 15, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »

Imaginations Through the Looking Glass is one of my favorite concert DVDs.  Sucks they are only doing audio, but I'm glad they are doing one anyway because they have enough new material since then to have a full concert without repeating songs (although there definitely will be plenty of that).

The big advantage (like with Live) is having many recordings and picking the best performances.  Maybe they will at least include a touched up and complete Wacken 2011, would be cool (Wheel of Time, Sacred Worlds, Valhalla, Majesty etc. were never broadcasted).

For a new DVD it would at least have to be later in the tour. And we got Trough the Looking Glass (2004) a year after Live (indeed 2003), so here's hoping they plan to do something (a proshot club recording would be amazing and a first). Also, A fan on the BG forum is saying the band personally said they are going to headline Wacken 2016 (and do other EU festivals).

On a side note, I am sure they are not going to pull a Kamelot, who actually recorded a truly amazing show I attended but never released it (only some video footage for a studiosong clip). I really hope they will still release it in some form (bonus?) one day.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2015, 09:28:51 AM »
Are you talking about the Kamelot show in Netherlands this past summer?  Did the band say they wouldn't release it?  That would suck.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2015, 09:54:56 AM »
Are you talking about the Kamelot show in Netherlands this past summer?  Did the band say they wouldn't release it?  That would suck.

No, it was the NL show before that "exclusive" show actually. This is the footage they released of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rakUWb-Bt5k.

Recent interview (March) with Youngblood, which makes me assume they will not release it anymore:
- Are you still working on a live DVD featuring existing footage, or will it be recorded during the upcoming tour?

Thomas: The DVD will happen, we just are waiting for the record companies to work out the legalities. As you may know I don't like looking back, so it will likely be all new footage, interviews, backstage shenanigans etc. 

I assume he is talking about the 013 show. Legalities part is interesting though, makes me wonder what went wrong. Sucks. But hey, a new "exclusive" concert in the same venue (013) is set for this october (announced almost a year beforehand too), sooo maybe we will get a retry? I hope so, have my tickets already  ;D

Still, we will definitely get a new Kamelot DVD  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: April 15, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »
Ah thanks, yes I remember this now.  Sucks that Thomas won't release it because he doesnt want to look back but maybe thats just an excuse for other legal reasons which was also stated, but I really do want a new DVD from them because One Colds Winters Night may be my favorite live concert dvd ever.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: April 15, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »
I assume he is talking about the 013 show. Legalities part is interesting though, makes me wonder what went wrong. Sucks. But hey, a new "exclusive" concert in the same venue (013) is set for this october (announced almost a year beforehand too), sooo maybe we will get a retry? I hope so, have my tickets already  ;D

Yeah, this really screws up things for me, because I'll be in Netherlands in September for The Theater Equation, and I'll miss this gig just by two weeks. Like they couldn't play this exclusive thing in late September. Damn.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: June 02, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »
So, seeing BG this Friday and I'm excited as hell! Their show on At the Edge of Time tour five years ago was beyond awesome.

I've been following the setlists for this tour, and here's what I'm reasonably hoping to get in Moscow (would be fun to compare it with what I'll actually get):

The Ninth Wave
Banish from Sanctuary
Nightfall
Fly
Tanelorn (Into the Void)
Prophecies
The Last Candle
Miracle Machine
(Out of those eight, I've already heard Nightfall, Fly and Tanelorn live, but I like all three, so I'm totally alright with this.)
A Past and Future Secret / Lord of the Rings (Heard them both live, but I don't like Skalds and Shadows, so there. The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight please?)
Blood Tears (I'm so excited they're playing this one live this tour!)
Mordred's Song / Bright Eyes / Majesty / anything from A Night at the Opera
Imaginations from the Other Side (I've heard ATTWS live, and I don't want the closer to be And the Story Ends. IFTOS is one of my favourite songs from them)

War of Wrath
Into the Storm
(just don't play Sacred Worlds please)
Twilight of the Gods
Valhalla

Wheel of Time (this one is a must, I loved it on ATEOT tour, probably my favourite song from that show, totally awesome)
The Bard's Song
Mirror Mirror

All in all, I really hope they don't play And the Story Ends and Sacred Worlds. Give me IFTOS or ATTWS and Into the Storm + Wheel of Time instead, and I'll be happy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: June 02, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
They are coming to the US, I may go see them when they play in NYC.  I saw them the last tour which I guess was 5 years ago too (wow time flies).  That was a lot of fun, but I won't have any friends to go with so that's why I am up in the air about actually going.  Ill figure it out as the date gets closer.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: June 03, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »
So Hansi has said they may consider playing The Throne from the new album sometimes. If they'll play it at the show I'm attending, that would be awesome; it's my favourite track from BTRM. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: June 03, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »
So Hansi has said they may consider playing The Throne from the new album sometimes. If they'll play it at the show I'm attending, that would be awesome; it's my favourite track from BTRM. :metal

Yea I would definitely like to see that song compared to the rest of the new album.  I still listen to it and enjoy it, it's certainly not as good as the previous album, but its solid throughout.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: June 05, 2015, 08:09:41 AM »
Soundcheck is going on right now. They've played part of Nightfall and the beginning of ATTWS so far, wonder if that means we'll get ATTWS tonight.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: June 06, 2015, 12:46:53 AM »
All in all, I really hope they don't play And the Story Ends and Sacred Worlds. Give me IFTOS or ATTWS and Into the Storm + Wheel of Time instead, and I'll be happy.

Alright, none of that did happen. :lol But still a great show, loved it and sang and screamed all way through. My throat is sore as hell now.

Setlist

Kind of disappointed there was no Miracle Machine considering they've played it almost every other tour, I like this song. And the Story Ends was awesome, but not as awesome as two other closers they've been playing on the tour. I also really missed Into the Storm, wish they'd played it.

But that Tolkien sequence: Lord of the Rings — Majesty — Blood Tears was absolutely fucking brilliant audience great. What's interesting, the audience wasn't asking for Majesty as usual, but they went ahead and played it, probably it was in the setlist. And Journey Through the Dark was another highlight, didn't expect this song to be played.

And I've got Wheel of Time! Again! That was nice. :angel:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #298 on: June 06, 2015, 10:02:33 AM »
Setlist says the show was recorded for a live CD. That's cool. Was the crowd loud?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: June 06, 2015, 04:39:56 PM »
Setlist says the show was recorded for a live CD. That's cool. Was the crowd loud?

Well, it seems every show on this tour is recorded for a live CD, so I wouldn't read too much into it. But it sure did good for the crowd hype, everyone screamed like mad when Hansi announced it. The crowd was loud and awesome (except those two guys who tried to turn the front rows into a mosh pit), and a lot of people were definitely singing and screaming at the top of their lungs, me included.

I hope one or two songs from this show will end up on a live CD, but with the amount of shows they're playing, I really doubt it will happen. I bet there were better crowds on this tour. Well, it was a killer show anyway, so I have nothing to complain about (except those mosh pit guys. If you guys are somehow reading this, you suck big time).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #300 on: June 08, 2015, 04:13:59 AM »

Well, it seems every show on this tour is recorded for a live CD, so I wouldn't read too much into it. But it sure did good for the crowd hype, everyone screamed like mad when Hansi announced it. The crowd was loud and awesome (except those two guys who tried to turn the front rows into a mosh pit), and a lot of people were definitely singing and screaming at the top of their lungs, me included.

I hope one or two songs from this show will end up on a live CD, but with the amount of shows they're playing, I really doubt it will happen. I bet there were better crowds on this tour. Well, it was a killer show anyway, so I have nothing to complain about (except those mosh pit guys. If you guys are somehow reading this, you suck big time).

Indeed they record everyhing. I do hope they will release some outtakes or a bonus disc to have very concert featured in one way or another. I wonder though, they already played quite some more songs than Live had on it, will the new release be longer or will they ommit stuff? Also they played quite some long songs. Wheel of Time, ATTWS, Sacred Worlds, Ninth Wave together already make up more than 40 minutes. They have enough material to cover three discs if they want to. I really hope they go all the way (and include the full Wacken 11 vid while they are at it).

I didn't follow the setlist anymore recently, but I am surprised with Blood Tears, awesome! Good that you got Wheel of Time out of your wishes. My wish remains ATTWS, but like Sonate Arctica with BPWO and Symphony X with Oddysey, they never play it at the shows I attend yet still feature the song in the same tour (Sonata fixed that last time I saw them though!). But I did get Mordreds Songs and Into the Storm this time around, and both delivered  ;D

Also, moshers suck indeed. For BG concerts at least, they create a crowd gap and BG live is all about crowd interactions with their music. We had them too, unfortunately.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: October 29, 2015, 03:00:37 PM »
Well the new album hasn't really aged well for me, I still think it's very mediocre overall.  However I did decide I will see them next week in NYC, purchased my ticket for myself.  Going solo.  Saw them about 5 years ago when they last toured the US and had a great time.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #302 on: October 30, 2015, 10:26:46 AM »
The new album did nothing for me, but I'm definitely not missing them again.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #303 on: October 30, 2015, 02:15:46 PM »
During the first leg of their tour they were on fire, so I am sure they do so now too. I listened some crappy bootlegs and attended one show, and I think the two year break did them well. Much energy, well balanced setlists and offcourse many enthousiastic fans who have missed them for a while. I will probably attend their second show over here in December.

As for the new album, I really think it is fantastic. I think it is one of the best Hansi albums, he truly shines here. Also in ways he never really did before. And in terms of music they explore many new areas, while maintaining obvious trademark elements. The story, however, does not make  sense to me and it doesn't really feel like as concept album (especially when compared to NIME). I can definitely understand how people do not like it though. Even for BG's standards it is really dense and the mix/mastering sounds muffled (I always need to adjust to it when coming from other albums, which isn't a good sign). Ironically, the sole song that barely does anything for me is the Throne, which is probably the highlight for many.

Thankfully for you guys the new album hardly feels like the main focus of their concerts. A few songs and that is it, really.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: October 30, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »
Yea Ive looked over the setlists and was surprised there isnt much focus on the new album, but then again the last tour there was little focus on the new album then so I guess BG is big on just playing the oldies.  Whatever, I am fine with that in this case, although much of the setlist is the same from 5 years ago which is a bummer.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: November 03, 2015, 06:07:04 PM »
I didn't revisit the new album and probably won't.  I'm actually pissed I didn't listen to it first, I wouldn't have purchased it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: November 03, 2015, 06:08:08 PM »
About to leave to head to the concert soon, while I don't think the new album is THAT bad, it isn't very memorable.  I am still excited to see them.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: November 03, 2015, 06:10:21 PM »
I'd probably still see them too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: November 03, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »
Yea, they aren't playing much from the new album plus they don't come over to the states often so I didnt want to miss my chance even though it sucks its a tuesday night. 

Been listening to BG a lot of over the last week to get pumped, really been digging Tales from the Twilight World a lot more than I remember digging it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: November 03, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »
Their early stuff is just awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2016, 02:56:21 PM »
I've got a ticket for the NYC show on Thursday September 15th... I'm an idiot for buying the ticket since I cannot make it, I will be on a plane at the time.

Anyone want it?  Prog Snob, I think you may have expressed interest?  I put it on stub hub for cheaper than any other ticket offered, but I am willing to just give it to someone on this site if they want it.  I have ticket in hand and can mail it out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: December 01, 2016, 11:33:14 AM »
Cool new song released for a video game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5X7MXfLxEg

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #312 on: December 01, 2016, 11:59:24 AM »
Awesome! I knew they were focusing on music for this game earlier this year but didn't expect anything so soon. Cool that they used an actual choir and strings, they didn't half ass it despite it being for a smaller crowdfunding title.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: December 01, 2016, 12:00:32 PM »
Awesome! I knew they were focusing on music for this game earlier this year but didn't expect anything so soon. Cool that they used an actual choir and strings, they didn't half ass it despite it being for a smaller crowdfunding title.

Yea besides being surprised of a new song (I wasn't aware of them working on something) the fact they put in a full production for a video game track is pretty awesome.  Song is really cool too.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2017, 08:15:01 AM »
Bumping this one up - I've been a fan of theirs since 1998 or so, but never took the time to go see them live.  I had won a free ticket to their show in Milwaukee last September, and given that they were playing Imaginations in full, I jumped at the chance to see them live for free.  That album was one of my first exposures to European power metal, along with NIME. 

The show was incredible - they're not really big on stage presence at all, but they replicated the sound of the albums so perfectly.  Seeing Hansi sing live for the first time was amazing - he sounded so good, and they played a few of my favorite non-Imaginations songs (Welcome to Dying  :metal, Time What is Time) before the full album performance.  I discovered that I really love the back half of Imaginions just as much as the first 4-5 songs, which I've always preferred.  The encore was Sacred Words, Majesty (I'd have preferred Valhalla) and naturally, the Bard's Song/Mirror Mirror. 

Definitely an awesome band and I'm glad that I took the time to see them play, since I'd been a fan for 18 years.  I'd have loved to hear them play a few other tunes as well, but I can't complain at all.  Excited for a new live record to come out sometime this year, and then the eventual release of their big orchestral project.