Author Topic: Songs that positively surprised you live  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Songs that positively surprised you live
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:42:09 PM »
[I wondered whether this should be here or Concerts & Setlists, but that seems to be rather dedicated to the current tour so decided for the main subforum]

This thread is about songs which turned out to be much better live than studio, surprisingly good live for some reason (meaning you expected them to turn out bad, and they didn't), or even went as far as improving your opinion about the song. I guess some, or all, of you had this experience, so I wonder if we'll find any common options here. Mine were...

A Rite of Passage - this is the most obvious one for me, as I had always considered it just "ok" and thought live it will be just a good heavier song. Well, thanks to a great performance by the band and incredible help of the audience, it was one of the highlights of the concert in Prague. I really felt like if we were some kind of brotherhood for a while, especially during the chorus...
Hollow Years - well, it not only made me love the new version of the song even more, it even entirely changed my opinion of the album version. I used to rate it as low as New Millenium, now I really like it. It sounded incredibly atmospheric and emotional, I'm glad they still play it.
The Spirit Carries On - I had preferred Through Her Eyes from the ballads on SFAM, but it changed when I heard it live for some reason. I can't even describe how emotional it sounds live, and I started to feel it much better on the album since then.

That's it from me...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Songs that positively surprised you live
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:49:33 PM »
Never Enough

Unfortunately, TMOLS is as terrible live as it is on the album.

Offline TL

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »
Though I already liked ANTR, it floored me at just how good of an intro song it was.
A Rite Of Passage was absolutely epic live. The energy of the audience definitely brought something to it. Again, I already liked it, but live it was just on a whole other level.

Hollow Years was great live, and they played it probably at the perfect point in that set. The fact that they played the original version instead of the album version was icing on the cake.

Also, finishing the main set with As I Am, complete with Jordan going center stage with the Johns with his Zen Riffer, and James ending the song on an improvised super-high note. It was quite something.

Also, not so much something the band did, but my brother came with us when a few friends and I went to see them this past August in Montreal. He's not really into DT per say, but he's very open to different kinds of music. After they played TCOT as the encore, he remarked that he really enjoyed "those few songs they played at the end", assuming that it had been two or three different pieces.  :biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »
Pretty much everything on Score.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:16:50 PM »
AROP was just so energy, POWAh! it was epic.
And Hollow Years was so nice i was blown away cause it was full of feeling.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:25:10 PM »
The Mirror - I like the song anyway, but I don't find it all that exciting, definitely in the weaker half of songs from Awake. But like it is just amazing!

Constant Motion - Again one of the weaker songs from it's album, but really rocking and energetic live!

Prophets of War - Easily the weakest song from SC, but surprisingly enjoyable live. Definitely one of their more fun live songs.

I Walk Beside You - Same as PoW. Pretty lame original song, but it has lots of energy live and is great to sing along to!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Hoppipolla

• Rise up, Be counted
  • Trapped inside this....
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
Hollow Years was beautiful live. After hearing it live I have a newfound appreciation for it.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »
I'd be really interested in seeing Prophets of War and I Walk Beside You live, I wonder how they sound like. I can imagine them having much more energy than on the album.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »
I Walk Beside You definitely works well live.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 05:01:24 PM »
So does POW, the chanting males it better

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 05:15:10 PM »
Constant Motion - Again one of the weaker songs from it's album, but really rocking and energetic live!

I was disappointed to find out it was going to be part of the set opening for Maiden. One of my least favorite songs in their entire catalog. But both times I saw it on the recent tour I think it rocked live. Part of it for me was James was singing it more in his natural style, and less in the style he used on the album (can't think of a way to describe it).

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chagny

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 12:56:03 AM »
Pull Me Under.
I wasn't expecting James to pull it off so well. And the whole band gave it this kind of energy that you just can't get from any CD. And being no more than 25 feet from JM really added to it.  ;D

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 06:45:43 AM »

I was disappointed to find out it was going to be part of the set opening for Maiden. One of my least favorite songs in their entire catalog. But both times I saw it on the recent tour I think it rocked live. Part of it for me was James was singing it more in his natural style, and less in the style he used on the album (can't think of a way to describe it).

Oh please James, sing it that way in Worcester on the 10th . . . (because I'm sure it will be played)

Online Mladen

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 07:39:29 AM »
The way James sings Constant motion on the album is remarkable. He can't pull that off live...

As for me, I think I was pleasantly surprised by Misunderstood live, I really enjoyed it, and Petrucci delivered that solo perfectly.  :)

Offline LTE

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »
So does POW, the chanting males make it better

Fixed.

:rollin
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 10:12:41 AM »
Forsaken.  Was disappointed when the keyboards starting off, but by the end, I was glad they did it.  Much better than the impressions the studio version leaves on me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »

Hmm, I actually think it's the most beautiful song on the last two albums.  

My answer is "Voices."  It's a great song and when I heard it live ir really drew me in and blew me away.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 12:33:27 PM »
ANTR, alrdy loved it, but when I was sitting there and they thunder started...I started shaking ^^ through the entire song :D

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »
So does POW, the chanting males make it better

Fixed.

:rollin

:rollin LOl typo.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
A Rite of Passage and Wither. They were both really awesome live!
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 08:26:41 PM »
Never Enough

This. Never Enough was actually great live when I saw them, but I struggled to stay awake during The Ministry Of Lost Souls.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 04:34:06 AM »
Actually I've always really liked Never Enough but was quite disappointed with it live back in 2007.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 07:23:24 AM »
I'm not a Constant Motion fan at all, yet its a very fun live song.