Author Topic: Firefly Appreciation!  (Read 18908 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Firefly Appreciation!
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »
So I've never seen the Serenity movie that was made after the show ended. I decided to binge watch the show again before doing so. I got through 8 episodes over the weekend. Such a great show. I can't get over that it only made it one season.

I ordered a few expansions for the board game earlier today.

I picked up the Kalidasa expansion. Comes with another section of the Verse. Basically the same as the Blue Sun expansion, but for the right side of the board.

I picked up some colored dice so each player can have their own unique to their ship.

I also picked up some blank game pieces. They have much better detail than the stock pieces and you can customize them to look however you want.

I'd like to buy this eventually as it is not yet out. It's a one piece vinyl mat that combines the original board and expansions into one unit. It's not a deal breaker, but having to play a game with a board that breaks apart into three pieces can be a PITA if someone knocks it hard enough.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
I gotta admit, I've never played the game and tend to avoid games based on movies or TV shows, but that looks pretty cool.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2015, 09:52:02 AM »
It's hands down the best board game I've played. Even if someone has never seen the show, it does great on it's own. I'd highly recommend it. You're free to do whatever you desire and the game manges to be completely balanced all the time. It's perfect.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2015, 02:34:14 PM »
I gotta admit, I've never played the game and tend to avoid games based on movies or TV shows, but that looks pretty cool.

Most such games are crap, but the Buffy board game that came out after Season 4 was awesome. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2015, 06:38:41 AM »
Just watched Serenity last night. I enjoyed it, but all it did was make me sad that the show didn't continue. I would have loved an entire episode or two dedicated to exploring Miranda.

Wash's death pissed me off and it seemed unnecessary/forced.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2015, 11:07:56 AM »
Every long-running Joss Whedon show eventually loses main characters.  Firefly wasn't on the air long enough to lose any main characters, so I always assumed that Whedon took the opportunity to kill a few with the movie, as that would be his last chance to do so.

I didn't "like" it, either, but I have to admit that it actually makes sense.  If you're a space cowboy, or fighting supernatural creatures, or whatever, it defies logic that no one close to you will ever meet an untimely demise.  Sure, TV series have to keep things status quo for the most part, but it doesn't make much sense.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
It also upped the stakes for the final fight:  Anyone/everyone could die. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »
Both are great points. I change my opinion.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2015, 07:23:02 PM »
I was wondering when one of them was going to die, and when it turned out to be him I was like "Sweet"  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2015, 07:43:06 PM »
You didn't like Wash?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2015, 08:30:12 PM »
He was fine, but probably at the bottom of the list for me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »
Yeah, all the characters were great.  You always had a sense that there was more to them than we saw, and we saw a lot.  But there were still motivations and secrets that it would have been cool to explore had the show continued.  I suppose if someone had to die, I would've picked Wash, too.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »
That episode where he gets all whiny with Zoe about being close with Mal/doing shit without him made me dislike him a bit. I was like "Good, torture his ass for being such a brat"  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2015, 11:14:53 AM »
I could see Wash's point, though.  Mal and Zoe have been through a lot of shit together, fought alongside each other for years.  That gave them a connection, an intimacy if you will, that Wash would never share with Zoe.  Not in the same way.  It didn't help that whenever things got tough, Mal, Zoe, and of course Jayne would go deal with it, while Wash has to stay on board because he's the pilot.  Great, he sits tight while his wife and the captain go save the world again.  Some might see it as a pretty stupid type of jealousy, but that's the thing about feelings; they're not always rational.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »
IT was more than just Wash being left out of the Zoe/Malcom activities. Wasn't he upset that Malcom was putting her in unnecessary danger?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »
He may have been; it's been a while since I watched that one.  But even if he was, the answer would be that neither Wash nor Mal could tell Zoe to back off anyway.  She does what she wants.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »
Right. And yeah, he just came off as really whiny in that one, so it turned me off of him a bit.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2015, 06:25:01 AM »
I'm biased toward Wash as I am a huge Alan Tudyk fan. The episode you're referencing is probably my least favorite episode of his though. All the characters had one.

One thing that always got to me was how easily Malcom forgave Jayne. I get that they wanted Malcom's character to have those attributes, but let's be real, that stunt Jayne pulled at the hospital was a real dick move.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2015, 08:36:20 AM »
Agreed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »
I always wondered if Jayne had something on Mal.  I get that Mal wanted to have some kind of "hired muscle" on board, and there are certainly a few times Jayne saved everybody's asses.  But Jayne was a mercenary, and I think he even said to Mal once or twice that if someone offerred him enough money, he'd betray Mal and the rest of the crew.  To me, that is a very dangerous type of person to be dealing with, let alone trusting with your life.

Mal literally never knew when they'd be on some "mission" (or whatever they called their little adventures) which depended on Jayne showing up at a certain time and doing his part, but instead Jayne shows up with the bad guys and a shit-eating grin and says "Sorry Captain, they just offerred me too much money to turn down."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2015, 09:10:55 PM »
I always wondered if Jayne had something on Mal.  I get that Mal wanted to have some kind of "hired muscle" on board, and there are certainly a few times Jayne saved everybody's asses.  But Jayne was a mercenary, and I think he even said to Mal once or twice that if someone offerred him enough money, he'd betray Mal and the rest of the crew.  To me, that is a very dangerous type of person to be dealing with, let alone trusting with your life.

Mal literally never knew when they'd be on some "mission" (or whatever they called their little adventures) which depended on Jayne showing up at a certain time and doing his part, but instead Jayne shows up with the bad guys and a shit-eating grin and says "Sorry Captain, they just offered me too much money to turn down."

I don't recall there ever being "a few times".   It was the central theme of one episode...and I suppose in The Train Job Jayne did kinda usurp command when Mal was unavailable.   But there was only one incident of overt betrayal, and it was dealt with.  (in very just and dramatic fashion)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2016, 05:12:58 AM »
RIP Shepherd (Ron Glass)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Jester

« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »
RIP Shepherd (Ron Glass)

Damn.  That sucks.  I loved Barney Miller.  I'd say his character was the main reason, but the entire cast was great.  I just have to make it out of 2016.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2016, 03:33:10 PM »
Yeah, as great as he was as Shepherd Book, he'll always be Detective Harris first to me.  Very cool guy; a sad loss indeed.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2016, 03:58:26 PM »
Yea, heard about this yesterday. :(

Another in a long list of great celebrities to die this year.
fanticide.bandcamp.com