Author Topic: Firefly Appreciation!  (Read 18909 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Firefly Appreciation!
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2015, 12:34:22 PM »
 :corn
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jammindude

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »
Totally stoked for the new project. 

Rewatching the series as we speak...  in preparation for Emerald City Comicon.....  Where I'm planning on getting my SRNITY1 licence plate signed by Inara and Zoe.

(where's the smiley that runs around excitedly waving its arms in the air??  I love that one)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2015, 09:42:33 PM »
(where's the smiley that runs around excitedly waving its arms in the air??  I love that one)
:panicattack:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2015, 09:54:57 PM »
:panicattack:

Thank you so much!  I've honestly been looking for that one for over a month.   I didn't even know how to begin searching for it. 

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »
This is gonna be gooooood!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2015, 06:34:03 AM »
Has anyone ever played Firefly the game?

https://www.amazon.com/Gale-Force-9-GF9-FIRE001-Firefly/dp/0992251656/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426768250&sr=8-2&keywords=firefly

I've had this game for a few months now. I absolutely love it. My girlfriend and I play it all the time (she got me into Firefly). It took about three or four games to really get the rules down, but once you figure them out, the game is a real blast. I've never played with more than two people, but my guess is the game would get significantly more challenging.

There are several expantions for it. There are two or three expansions that add extra cards and an extra playing piece, and then there is an expansion that actually makes the board bigger and really increases the scope of the game. 

$34 on Amazon is actually pretty cheap. I paid $50 in Barnes and Noble.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2015, 09:16:47 AM »
Finally got to play the board game with more than two people this weekend. A group of four allowed for a much more dynamic game. It took almost 4 hours to complete one of the easier stories.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2015, 11:09:15 AM »
Wow, that looks pretty cool!  It can be hard to find Firefly fans, but if you can find them, I'm sure they'd be up for playing the game at least once or twice.  That's the way to do it, too; make it a social event, complete with food and drink, while you wander the galaxy in a Firefly-class ship.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »
It can be hard to find Firefly fans

Maybe for you. I can't even tell you how many friends and random people have given me the "YOU'VE NEVER SEEN FIREFLY?!" speech. I finally started it last night and am about halfway through. I'm enjoying it, but it's not quite living up to the hype.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2015, 06:27:21 PM »
It can be hard to find Firefly fans

Maybe for you. I can't even tell you how many friends and random people have given me the "YOU'VE NEVER SEEN FIREFLY?!" speech. I finally started it last night and am about halfway through. I'm enjoying it, but it's not quite living up to the hype.

Once you're done...you'll be hooked.    ;)    Out of Gas and the movie are worth the price of admission alone. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2015, 08:27:37 PM »
Nothing lives up to the hype.  Ever.  Any time something is hyped, it destroys the credibility of the person hyping it.  The greater the hype, the greater the chance that whatever is being hyped will not live up to it.

On the other hand, I missed Firefly the first time around, but worked my way through the series on DVD because of the hype.  I thought it was a great show.  It wasn't OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS IS SO AWESOME I CAN DIE HAPPY NOW, but I thought it was great.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2015, 09:08:48 PM »
I watched Firefly completely at random on Netflix; I'd never heard anything about it before, and I loved it. It's one of my favorite shows. I probably still would have loved it even if I had heard stuff about it beforehand, but I definitely think there's an inherent risk in allowing your expectations to be built up too much.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2015, 01:52:20 AM »
Once you're done...you'll be hooked.    ;)    Out of Gas and the movie are worth the price of admission alone. 

Oh, man...I'm pretty sure Out of Gas was the first time I sobbed like a little bitch during an episode of a TV show.  Years later, that's proven a tough habit to break.  Damn you, Joss Whedon!

There is a lot of hype around the show, and I wasn't instantly hooked either because it wasn't living up to it at the beginning, but it was still good enough to keep going, and by the time I was done, I considered it worthy of its cult-classic status.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2015, 02:36:14 AM »
I definetely thought the show was good, great even, but what makes me not absolutely love it is the fact that they didn't get to finish it. If they'd have gotten to tell the entire story from beginning to end, it may have had the potential to be one of the very best. But now that they didn't, I still pretty much only see this show as something that "could have been". That's not the show's fault, but it still brings it down for me. And yeah I know there's the movie, and that was an awesome movie, but it just feels like it could have been so much more.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2015, 05:46:26 AM »
Anyone following the progress of the Con Man spinoff?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
but I definitely think there's an inherent risk in allowing your expectations to be built up too much.

Well, I don't necessarily agree that somebody is "allowing" their expectations to be built up when people are constantly telling them it's the BEST SHOW EVER and acting like there is something wrong with a person for not having seen it yet. I have one friend who was actually giving me shit because I don't think it's objectively the best show ever, and he's trying to justify it by saying things like "Well, you're not into Star Trek and this and this..." Actually, I love most things space and I've really been enjoying the show, I just don't think it's the greatest show ever made. It doesn't require any further explanation than that- not everybody is going to agree with you. And by "you" I mean this partcular friend who is geting on my nerves, not you guys  :lol

Anyway, Out of Gas was indeed great, and I also really liked War Stories. The more suffering, the better  :lol

About to finish the series up now, and then I'll watch Serenity next week because I have a film festival this weekend.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2015, 03:59:48 AM »
I probably liked Serenity even more than the show actually. I remember finally founding out who the Reavers actually were had quite the emotional impact.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2015, 04:09:05 AM »
I probably liked Serenity even more than the show actually. I remember finally founding out who the Reavers actually were had quite the emotional impact.

Agreed. The movie was great. And the reavers stuff was really disturbing and cool.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2015, 05:58:11 AM »
well lucky for us they green lighted this movie.  With the cancellation of the show during it's 1st season, they were not able to flush the storyline out over seasons.  Too bad really.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2015, 06:42:55 AM »
My experience of this show was I guess similar to Jackie’s. I was given ripped files of the entire thing by a close friend with whom I am constantly trading recommendations of all media. He sat me through the first episode and explained why he thought it was one of the best TV shows ever made. Several years later, I had a tumblrina girlfriend who could religiously spout quotes from the show at will.

Under her “guidance”, I sat through five or six episodes, at which point I gave up. The show was tolerable at best, I guess, but I feel inclined to this day to think of it as being utter shite because it fell so remarkably short of what I was sold.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2015, 12:57:55 AM »
Forgot to post here that I finished the series the other day and oh man, Early is one of my favorite characters! Kinda wish there was more of him...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2015, 02:54:11 AM »
Have you seen Serenity yet?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2015, 07:49:40 AM »
Forgot to post here that I finished the series the other day and oh man, Early is one of my favorite characters! Kinda wish there was more of him...

Yeah, he was great.  Seemingly operating in a complete emotional vacuum, you get glimpses of his "real" feelings on a few things along the way, but at the end, nope, he's emotionally devoid.  Flying off into space alone to ultimately die, probably slowly, he's thinking "Well, here I am..."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2015, 07:58:36 AM »
Interesting.  According to Joss Whedon, Jubal Early survived.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »

I would like to know more.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »
Hopefully he has his own series one day  :lol

And no, I haven't watched Serenity yet because some other asshole checked it out from the video store while I was busy watching the show. Bastards.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »

And no, I haven't watched Serenity yet because some other asshole checked it out from the video store while I was busy watching the show. Bastards.   Does that seem right to you?

FTFY

;)

Calvin6s

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2015, 03:08:51 PM »

Same for me.  Just can't get into it.  When there is this much hype and you don't see it, it really makes it even worse.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »

I would like to know more.

We don't know much more.  But in this interview, we have this:

----------

The Dude: You also have to bring back Jubal Early, man. (Jubal Early was the bounty hunter on the final Firefly episode entitled "Objects in Space," which Whedon wrote and directed, and which I had watched the previous evening. Jubal Early was played by Richard Brooks ).

Joss Whedon: I know! Especially because I love that character.

The Dude: It would be fitting if he survived that.

Joss Whedon: Oh, I know he survived.

----------

Then they move on to other topics. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2015, 08:24:36 AM »

And no, I haven't watched Serenity yet because some other asshole checked it out from the video store while I was busy watching the show. Bastards.
Haven't been to those in ages.  :o
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2015, 10:42:28 AM »
Yeah, my internet is crappy and I can't really download/stream stuff so I have a membership at an awesome little video store. Also it's great to talk to the employees and get recommendations and whatnot  :D

Oh man, that's awesome!

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »

Joss, you devilish little tease...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
Yeah, my internet is crappy and I can't really download/stream stuff so I have a membership at an awesome little video store. Also it's great to talk to the employees and get recommendations and whatnot  :D
Nice, yea I have no problem renting and I have a few places nearby but I just haven't had a reason yet to rent given the services available online.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2015, 11:07:07 PM »
My friend just showed me Serenity, so I didn't have to wait for the library to get it to me! I really enjoyed it, a nice wrap-up considering the circumstances. And I have to say, they probably killed off my least favorite of the main characters :lol