Author Topic: Dave Matthews Band -  (Read 25926 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Dave Matthews Band -
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »
For me, DMB is a group where I typically really like what I hear whenever one of their songs is playing, but I couldn't name one of their songs.

This, except Gravedigger. That song is beyond amazing imo.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
For me, DMB is a group where I typically really like what I hear whenever one of their songs is playing, but I couldn't name one of their songs.

This, except Gravedigger. That song is beyond amazing imo.
Yet Gravedigger is a solo song from Dave. So I guess your still right. :laugh:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2010, 03:52:23 PM »
It is? I have it labeled as a DMB song on my computer. Did they ever cover it live with DMB? It's killer either way, though. :laugh:

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »
So Crash is fast becoming a top 10/15 album for me. I'll get BTCS very soon I think, and then a load of live stuff.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »
James - Gravedigger IS played live by DMB

So Crash is fast becoming a top 10/15 album for me. I'll get BTCS very soon I think, and then a load of live stuff.

TBH, I don't think Crash is that great of an album. It is kind of inconsistent for me. But definitely check out BTCS. Absolutely stunning album, a true masterpiece, and one of my favorite albums of all time. I also have a personal adoration for Under the Table, because it was the soundtrack for one of the best summers of my life, but the music itself is also excellent.  :tup

But like Kev said, avoid Everyday and Stand Up. Some of the songs are ok live, but I never listen to those two albums.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2010, 04:06:01 PM »

I saw them on the Crash tour and to this day, at least for me, it's their best cd.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
James - Gravedigger IS played live by DMB

TBH, I don't think Crash is that great of an album. It is kind of inconsistent for me. But definitely check out BTCS. Absolutely stunning album, a true masterpiece, and one of my favorite albums of all time. I also have a personal adoration for Under the Table, because it was the soundtrack for one of the best summers of my life, but the music itself is also excellent.  :tup

But like Kev said, avoid Everyday and Stand Up. Some of the songs are ok live, but I never listen to those two albums.

Luckily, I downloaded Everyday (legally) a month or two ago, but forgot to listen to it, and then downloaded Crash (also legally) and decided to listen to that first. I assume if I'd listened to Everyday first, my DMB journey would have ended then and there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2010, 07:34:27 AM »
Luckily, I downloaded Everyday (legally) a month or two ago, but forgot to listen to it, and then downloaded Crash (also legally) and decided to listen to that first. I assume if I'd listened to Everyday first, my DMB journey would have ended then and there.

That would have been almost as tragic as "Angel" (a completely awful song from Everyday) is.  Good thing Crash was your first in what will hopefully be a long journey. :)

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
So, based on first impressions, Before These Crowded Streets is much 'darker' than Crash at least, and I can tell it'll need more time to grow on me than Crash did probably. It's still awesome though.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »
So, based on first impressions, Before These Crowded Streets is much 'darker' than Crash at least, and I can tell it'll need more time to grow on me than Crash did probably. It's still awesome though.

BTCS takes awhile to "get". There is just so much material there that it can be a little overwhelming. Definitely keep listening to it though, and I guarantee you will fall in love with the album.  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »

That's one of those cd's that clicks after 6 or 7 listens.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2010, 02:49:44 PM »

Definitely. And once it does, you can't put it down. :biggrin:

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2010, 02:53:10 PM »

Definitely. And once it does, you can't put it down. :biggrin:

Music like that is so masochistic, I don't even enjoy it for the first few listens. But it's always the ones that take longer to click that are the best for me in the end.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2010, 07:42:15 PM »
I feel like I'm the only DMB fan who doesn't think Stand Up completely sucked. I'd put it higher than Everyday, and probably Busted Stuff too, since almost all tracks on that are just worse versions of the tracks on Lillywhite anyway.

I really like the poppiness of it, even more so than the angle they took on Everyday, as it has an earthier, more natural feel to it. There's only a handful of tracks on there that I pass on, and amongst those are Hello Again, Louisiana Bayou and Hunger for the Great Light, all of which have smoking live versions.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »
I admittedly haven't listened to Stand Up in a while, but I gave it many chances, and it sounded pretty bad every time I soldiered through it.  Honestly, if I had to list the worst studio albums by the bands in my all-time top 20, it might be number 1.

Offline MS394

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2010, 08:03:42 PM »
I like "American Baby"  :blush

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2010, 08:12:49 AM »
American Baby would be one of my least favourites. It's not bad, just not too great.

@Kev: do you like any of the songs off of it live? I mean, I do realise that's a different thing; as I said, there are those 3 tracks I love live, but find flat and lifeless on Stand Up (well, Bayou isn't bad, but the live version destroys it). But just curious.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »
@Kev: do you like any of the songs off of it live? I mean, I do realise that's a different thing; as I said, there are those 3 tracks I love live, but find flat and lifeless on Stand Up (well, Bayou isn't bad, but the live version destroys it). But just curious.

No.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »

No.

Bayou, Hello Again, and You Might Die Trying are all ok live, but studio versions do nothing for me.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »
I selected Big Whiskey as my third album after Crash and BTCS. Wise choice?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »
Sounds like a pretty good choice to me. I love Big Whiskey.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2010, 11:25:27 PM »

Definitely.  Just make sure that Under the Table and Dreaming is your next (studio) purchase. :)

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2010, 07:31:46 AM »
After a lot of listening, I'm not sure how I feel about Big Whiskey. It's a very good rock album, but I don't know if I like it as a DMB album. It seems completely different from Crash and BTCS, but then I did skip a few albums so maybe the evolution was evident in those. I also get a really strong vibe of Pearl Jam's Backspacer from it, for some reason.  :huh: Still, it's okay, but I can tell I'll be spinning the aforementioned other two albums long after I'm done with this.

Time Bomb is awesome though.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2010, 07:40:47 AM »
I don't often listen to too many tracks off of it now when I put it on, but I'm like that with most albums. Its highs are pretty great though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2010, 08:01:39 AM »
Interesting.  I don't it is that different from those 90s albums, relatively speaking, but to each his own. :)

Agreed that "Time Bomb" is awesome.  That, "Lying in the Hands of God," "Spaceman" and "Squirm" are holding up as my absolute favorites from it.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »
I still think Alligator Pie is one of the best tracks on the album.

Apparently, the Stella in that song is his daughter. He has another daughter who he has dedicated several songs to, and one day, Stella said to him, "daddy, when you gonna put me in a song?" And there you have it. Though just from listening, I think the song's about Hurricane Katrina, but he uses her name and that line nonetheless.

Also, Cornbread owns all.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2010, 03:38:52 PM »
Bump for recent Live Trax 18 announcement.

I'm loving this band more every minute I listen to them, and for once that's actually not hyperbole at all. The Last Stop from Chicago, when it breaks into the outro... It's just perfect, and Don't Drink The Water is becoming one of my favourite all time songs, and BTCS the same for my favourite albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:08 AM »
New album coming out this year!

And summer tour dates have been announced. :coolio

5/18/12      The Woodlands, TX      
5/19/12      Dallas, TX      
5/20/12      Gulf Shores, AL      
5/22/12      Atlanta, GA      
5/23/12      Charlotte, NC      
5/25/12      Hartford, CT      
5/26/12      Hartford, CT      
5/28/12      Scranton, PA   
5/29/12      Cincinnati, OH   
6/2/12      Toronto, ONT      
6/3/12      Cuyahoga Falls, OH      
6/5/12      Mansfield, MA      
6/6/12      Mansfield, MA      
6/8/12      Saratoga Springs, NY      
6/9/12      Saratoga Springs, NY      
6/12/12      Wantagh, NY      
6/13/12      Wantagh, NY      
6/16/12      Bristow, VA      
6/17/12      Virginia Beach, VA   
6/22/12      Noblesville, IN   
6/23/12      Noblesville, IN
6/26/12      Camden, NJ
6/27/12      Camden, NJ
6/29/12      Hershey, PA
6/30/12      Bethel, NY
7/3/12      Darien Center, NY
7/6/12      East Troy, WI
7/7/12      East Troy, WI
7/10/12      Clarkston, MI
7/11/12      Maryland Heights, MO
7/13/12      Burgettstown, PA
7/14/12      Burgettstown, PA
7/18/12      Tampa, FL
7/20/12      West Palm Beach, FL
7/21/12      West Palm Beach, FL
8/31/12      George, WA
9/1/12      George, WA
9/2/12      George, WA
9/7/12      Chula Vista, CA
9/8/12      Irvine, CA
9/9/12      Mountain View, CA

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »
My friend is coming up from PA to do the Hartford shows with me, might do the Mansfield ones too but idk yet.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2012, 11:19:03 AM »
This is both great and terrible news for me.  DMB is playing here a month after Maiden/Coheed.  I dig DMB but looooove Maiden & Coheed.  Wifey digs Maiden & Coheed but loooooves DMB.  We probably can't swing tickets for two shows within a one month period.  FUUUUUUUUUU.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2012, 11:30:39 AM »
This is both great and terrible news for me.  DMB is playing here a month after Maiden/Coheed.  I dig DMB but looooove Maiden & Coheed.  Wifey digs Maiden & Coheed but loooooves DMB.  We probably can't swing tickets for two shows within a one month period.  FUUUUUUUUUU.

One month between concerts is a lot! Personally I have 3 concerts in March/April within the course of 4 weeks, so yeah.  :lol

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »

One month between concerts is a lot! Personally I have 3 concerts in March/April within the course of 4 weeks, so yeah.  :lol

You also probably don't have that many bills to pay.  :P

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »

You also probably don't have that many bills to pay.  :P

Yeah I miss those days for sure, we used to go to a ton of shows- especially DMB shows.  She was kind enough to point out that since we've had kids she's hasn't seen any of her favorite bands while I've seen DT and Thrice among others, so I think I know where this is headed.  Oh wells.  DMB is awesome and Maiden/Coheed isn't out of the picture for me yet.  To quote Dr. Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park- "life finds a way."  ;)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »
Well yeah, also the concert tickets are already paid for since a while ago.
So it won't really be any expenses when the concerts happen, apart from maybe picking up a T-shirt or two at each show, but the "main" money was spent on the tickets. So it's a bigger problem if several concert tickets are announced at the same time, then it affects my economy much more.  :biggrin:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »
DMB is one of my favorite bands, so its great that I'm finally going to get a chance to see them.