Author Topic: Dave Matthews Band -  (Read 26242 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Dave Matthews Band -
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 11:13:56 PM »
I have seen DMB five times (considering seeing them for a sixth time here in a few weeks), and the first time I saw them, the first song they played was "The Stone."  :coolio :coolio :coolio

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »
I have Before These Crowded Streets and I just can't find what's good in it. 

"Rapunzel" and "The Last Stop" are a little out there, and being the first two full-length songs, they can make the album as a whole difficult to get into at first, but once you get over that hurdle, the true greatness of it really shines through.  For my money, BTCS is one of the best rock albums ever; a 5-star masterpiece in every way.

Maybe, for now, try just listening to:

"The Stone"
"Crush"
"The Dreaming Tree"

That is one of the best 3-song runs on any album I own.  Those are the three songs that got me into DMB back in '99, and I always recommend others starting with them.

I'm just getting into DMB, and seriously, Carter could give MP a run for his money.

Both are great, but I think Beauford is better.  In fact, he is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite drummer.  His cymbal work on "The Stone" is just sick.
I agree with you. The Stone has an amazing atmosphere, that intro is beautiful. Crush is awesome in all ways and The Dreaming Tree has always been one of my favorites. Stay is my happy song. No matter what mood I'm in, how sad or depressed I am, that intro will always make me happier than ever. I love it soooo much.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »
"Makes ya, makes ya, makes ya wanna...stay!"  Yep, great song.  

And how awesome is "Halloween," too?  Very few rock songs have managed to bottle as much fury and anger as Matthews did in that song.  The song is basically an FU to his ex.  I swear, I have sang myself hoarse several times before, when singing along to that song in the car. 

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 11:56:50 PM »
I have seen DMB five times (considering seeing them for a sixth time here in a few weeks), and the first time I saw them, the first song they played was "The Stone."  :coolio :coolio :coolio

jerk!

i have 5 under the belt as well, and should be making it 7 in july. my first DMB show was pure shit though, it was the first show of their 05 winter tour, dave was smashed, and they just weren't tight yet.

though the years i have gone to Alpine Valley, the shows have been worth every penny and mile driven. that place is nothing short of angelic.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 09:51:52 AM »
I hadn't listened to DMB in years, but I caught them live from the Beacon Theatre last night on Fuse.  It was completely awesome!  Did anyone catch any of that?  It is my understanding that most of what was performed was from the new album.  I have to get that thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »
I hadn't listened to DMB in years, but I caught them live from the Beacon Theatre last night on Fuse.  It was completely awesome!  Did anyone catch any of that?  It is my understanding that most of what was performed was from the new album.  I have to get that thing.

Yup! That was a great show! They were wicked tight, but the announcer guy really started annoying me during the encore break  :laugh:

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »
That Beacon show sounded great, making me all the more pumped for next month! Did Dave have a cold or something of the sort though? Never heard him sound "bad" going for high notes. Though he still puts all he's got into it, that's why I love him.

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Metalingus

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »
And how awesome is "Halloween," too?  Very few rock songs have managed to bottle as much fury and anger as Matthews did in that song.  The song is basically an FU to his ex.  I swear, I have sang myself hoarse several times before, when singing along to that song in the car.  

Dave's vocal performance in that song is incredible.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 06:19:43 PM »
That Beacon show sounded great, making me all the more pumped for next month! Did Dave have a cold or something of the sort though? Never heard him sound "bad" going for high notes. Though he still puts all he's got into it, that's why I love him.

Yup. He had a cold for the two Fenway shows and the Beacon show... I saw his next show in Hartford though and his voice was back to normal, sounded great on the falsetto!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 11:40:42 PM »
I hadn't listened to DMB in years, but I caught them live from the Beacon Theatre last night on Fuse.  It was completely awesome!  Did anyone catch any of that?  It is my understanding that most of what was performed was from the new album.  I have to get that thing.

Get it.  :biggrin:

Dave's vocal performance in that song is incredible.

Indeed.  :hat

I have seen DMB five times (considering seeing them for a sixth time here in a few weeks), and the first time I saw them, the first song they played was "The Stone."  :coolio :coolio :coolio

jerk!

:coolio :coolio

i have 5 under the belt as well, and should be making it 7 in july. my first DMB show was pure shit though, it was the first show of their 05 winter tour, dave was smashed, and they just weren't tight yet.

Bummer about that first show, but when they are on, they are absolute money.  They were awesome the first, second and four times I saw them.  The third time was okay, and the fifth time, I had such bad seats (in the middle, but literally the second to last row before the lawn), and my g/f at the time was having issues, that it was difficult for me to really enjoy it at all.

Of note, the fourth time I saw them, my brother and I had 5th row right in front of Dave, and I still remember how beet red his face when screaming the vocals to the "All Along the Watchtower" during the encore.  That was awesome.

Also, it is also interesting to note that I saw them with someone different all five times: two different girlfriends, a friend, my younger brother, and my cousin.  I might go see them next Wednesday (still trying to decide if I want to suffer with lawn seats), and if I do, it will be with a buddy and his wife, so it will be six times with six different people. :lol

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »
man i love lawn seats, its just so unique, especially at Alpine Valley, and it has legendary tailgating that is worth the drive alone. i have been at the front of the lawn two of the nights i have been there, which is an awesome view, and great for sound, otherwise i stay towards the back, especially when i saw Rage Against The Machine there in the pouring rain, no mud for me thanks, and Dave was the next two nights, and it was still a disaster zone.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »
The two DMB I saw this weekend I was on the lawn for both. Night 1 I was at the front of the lawn kinda seperated from the crowd and it was awesome... very clear sound and the screen was right in front of me. Second night I was with my friend and we moved around the lawn a lot, kinda in the middle. Much more annoying because all you can hear sometimes is people chatting.

I realized a lot of people treat DMB shows like a party. They aren't there for the music, they are there to socialize. Like a party, there is music, but it is more of a background thing then the focus of your night. It makes me mad when I'm surrounded by people who bought tickets and don't even pay attention to the show when there are a ton of real fans who would love to be there.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 07:32:14 PM »
I realized a lot of people treat DMB shows like a party. They aren't there for the music, they are there to socialize. Like a party, there is music, but it is more of a background thing then the focus of your night. It makes me mad when I'm surrounded by people who bought tickets and don't even pay attention to the show when there are a ton of real fans who would love to be there.

absolutely. non musicians think im stupid when i say i listen to DMB because they are amazing musicians and great songwriters. and then i punch them in the face.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »
Yeah, I don't give a crap about going to the a concert for the party on the lawn, which is why I never enjoy getting lawn tickets.  You can't hear that well, you can't see anything (except on the two big screens), and everyone around you is getting drunk.  Considering I barely drink anymore, it is easy to see why lawn tickets almost never interest me.  The few times I went to a concert with lawn tickets, I did not enjoy the concerts at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2009, 01:51:02 PM »
Just saw this today.  New video for "Funny the Way It Is."  Dave must be smoking the ganja again. :lol  It's good, corny fun, either way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew8hmVIGKcM&feature=fvst

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »
No reaction from the DMB fans here to that video?  Boooooooooo!  :biggrin:

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2009, 10:40:11 PM »
i like it, its strange, like dave.

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »
Oh yeah Dave's definitely blazing again. Only pot can create a beautiful video like that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »
Indeed. :lol

Also, the new album is just tremendous, and will probably make a strong run for album of the year for me (I'd say it is neck and neck with Ki right now).  Every song is at least very good, and many of them are great.  I am still astonished at this comeback, considering two of their last three albums were pretty forgettable and the other one was merely good.  They really hit it out of the park with this one.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »
i just recently got into DMB this past month.
The Dreaming Tree is my favorite DMB tune, I get such a porcupine tree vibe from it.
I'm really liking DMB, I have the Crush, BTCS,ITBAD, and groogrux king albums, and love them all

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2009, 11:21:34 PM »

Also, the new album is just tremendous, and will probably make a strong run for album of the year for me (I'd say it is neck and neck with Ki right now).  Every song is at least very good, and many of them are great.  I am still astonished at this comeback, considering two of their last three albums were pretty forgettable and the other one was merely good.  They really hit it out of the park with this one.
Yeah their past few albums have been boring. Busted Stuff was okay but nothing tooo special. Big Whiskey is definitely a huge return to form. Songs like Funny How It Is, Squirm, Why I Am, SHAKE ME LIKE A MONKEY, and You And Me are some of their all time best imo.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2009, 04:36:57 AM »

No kidding.  This new album is fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2009, 05:15:53 AM »
Yeah Groogrux is pretty great.

Dive In hit me like a bastard walking to work the other day. In particular, the bit in the first verse that talks about the polar bears dying out cos of the melting ice caps. There is a section in the Planet Earth documentary series that covers this, and it crushed me when I saw it, so when I heard the lyrics to that verse, I just went "aaaaw fuck" all over again.

I'm still not really liking the last two tracks, but that still leaves a stretch of 11 strong songs, plus Corn Bread. And the first half of the album is amazing.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2010, 09:56:59 AM »
Bump.

I saw DMB in Frankfurt Thursday night, it was spectacular. A friend of mine who plays violin and had no idea who the band was came along and was like, "a black guy playing violin? With those arms?" She seemed to enjoy it a bit though, and grabbed Big Whiskey off me when we got back to her house.

Our setlist was quite something too.

1. Granny
2. Bartender
- I'd struggle to think of a better starting one-two punch by this band. Both of these are among my favourite songs of theirs, so right from go, I was blown away.
3. Funny the Way It Is
4. Seven
5. Shake Me Like a Monkey
6. The Stone
- a fair bit of a cheer went out as soon as Dave played the opening riff.
7. Why I Am
8. Loving Wings
- this was another highlight for me, I LOVE this song, and the end jam was monstrous, including Carter drum solo.
9. You Might Die Trying
10. Spaceman
11. Cornbread
- this was more Tim/electric guitar-oriented since there were no banjoes, and it brought out another whole side of the track.
12. Lying in the Hands of God
13. You and Me
14. Ants Marching
- Boyd's solo after the last chorus was about two minutes longer than any recording of this I've ever heard (and I must have about 10-12 of them)
15. Time Bomb
16. So Damn Lucky
- this actually made a really nice closer, especially with the Thank You ending.
---
17. Sister
18. All Along the Watchtower

EDIT: Oh, and this was my first DMB show, so to get a handful of gems like that (I'd checked out their recent setlists before the show and most were far less inspiring than this; Granny, The Stone, Loving Wings and Time Bomb were all tour debuts, and this apparently was the first full-band Loving Wings in two and a half years  :omg:) was so amazing. Can't wait for the next.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:03:38 AM by Fluffy Lothario »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »
 :coolio Great set! And I'm pretty sure the last time they played Loving Wings before that was when I saw them back in 08. :D

I'm going to the two opening night shows in Hartford, and then I'm staying over my friend's house in PA for a few days and we're going to hit up the two Camden shows. Gonna be a great time! I guess theyre gonna be pulling out a lot more of the jam songs this summer, too.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2010, 10:27:42 AM »
Loving Wings was last played 9.7.08, so you could be right. I'd have to say that was probably the best song o the night for me, it was a riot.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the show! :)

But I gotta say, that is a weird-looking set list.  I love seeing all of those Big Whiskey... songs, as well as "The Stone," but only one song from Under that Table and Dreaming and NOTHING from Crash?  Wow.  They usually hammer those records pretty good, so that is quite surprising.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2010, 06:10:38 PM »
Bump for justice. I've just got Crash very recently and I looooove it, it's everything I want in music for this summer really, but I'm not really sure where to go next. Any tips?

Offline jag66

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
need to give DMB a good listen to. a friend recommended "the dreaming tree" a few months back, and i must say, it's a fucking brilliant song!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2010, 05:39:21 AM »
In case it hasn't been said in this thread already, Before These Crowded Streets is soon to be your god.

Otherwise, Big Whiskey. It's the latest, it's arguably the loudest, it's damn good.

And in terms of live albums:
My favourites are Live in Chicago and Live Trax Vol. 1, though most people love Central Park. Their Best Of, Best of What's Around, also has a LOT of really good live stuff, especially if you dig up a copy with the Encore disc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2010, 08:07:02 AM »
Bump for justice. I've just got Crash very recently and I looooove it, it's everything I want in music for this summer really, but I'm not really sure where to go next. Any tips?

Before These Crowded Streets
Under the Table and Dreaming
Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King

You pretty much can't go wrong with any of those.  Busted Stuff is quite good, too, but not quite up to the level of the others.  Don't bother with Stand Up (ever) and save Everyday for a while...like years from now. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2010, 08:27:52 AM »
I'm glad to see Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King get lots of love. It's a great album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2010, 08:34:07 AM »
DMB is very much of a summer band for me, and I gave all of Big Whiskey... a few spins a few weeks back for the first time in a while, and it still sounded terrific.  Great record. :coolio

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2010, 10:17:53 AM »
Busted Stuff is great, and they've been playing a bit of that stuff lately.  :hat

I was going to go to Camden this week for DMB but my job training got in the way so I cant go now.  :\

Offline TL

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2010, 03:05:22 PM »
For me, DMB is a group where I typically really like what I hear whenever one of their songs is playing, but I couldn't name one of their songs.