Author Topic: Dave Matthews Band -  (Read 26175 times)

Offline Elsydeon

Re: Dave Matthews Band -
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2012, 11:20:43 PM »
Finally going to be seeing them for the first time on the second Hartford show!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
You're in for a treat, DMB is truly a great live experience.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
Watching Carter Beauford alone is worth the cost of a ticket. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2012, 03:55:33 AM »
Anyone who wants a great and one-of-a-kind DMB experience, check out this show. (It's available in fairly good quality on dmbstream.com, though I think you need an account to listen).

https://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.aspx?id=453056569&tid=98&where=2008

This was the day LeRoi died, and they played this show hours after hearing of his death. They were at the venue, and so shocked, they didn't know what else to do but to go out and mourn with the fans. The show has an intensity like probably no other live concert you'll ever hear. Every word and every note carries a different weight than it normally would. On some songs, Dave's almost totally absent, not with the song much at all, and then on others, he's pouring himself into them so much, he struggles to hold it together. Even if it was for reasons outside their control, and circumstances you obviously wouldn't wish on them, it must be one of the most emotional, powerful shows of their career.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #109 on: February 29, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »
Can't believe I haven't seen this thread yet.

DMB is one of my top 3 bands of all time (up there with DT) and were the first band I ever truly fell in love with. LeRoi's saxophone playing inspired me to take up the instrument myself, and it is a decision I do not regret, what a sad loss it was when he died.

That being said, while most people consider Before These Crowded Streets as their best work, I personally have a bias towards Under The Table and Dreaming, as it was the first album I ever heard by them, and I will not soon forget my first time hearing it.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2012, 02:18:07 PM »
Anyone who wants a great and one-of-a-kind DMB experience, check out this show. (It's available in fairly good quality on dmbstream.com, though I think you need an account to listen).

This was the day LeRoi died, and they played this show hours after hearing of his death. They were at the venue, and so shocked, they didn't know what else to do but to go out and mourn with the fans. The show has an intensity like probably no other live concert you'll ever hear. Every word and every note carries a different weight than it normally would. On some songs, Dave's almost totally absent, not with the song much at all, and then on others, he's pouring himself into them so much, he struggles to hold it together. Even if it was for reasons outside their control, and circumstances you obviously wouldn't wish on them, it must be one of the most emotional, powerful shows of their career.
Invite only for registration.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »

Invite only for registration.
You can register on dmbstream.com for free and stream the august 19, 2008 show from there.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2012, 06:42:38 AM »
So I checked out GrooGrux King last night for the first time (I was a big DMB fan but interested pretty much disappeared after Stand Up) and holy fuck Carter Beauford is such phenomenal drummer.

Have to put in him in my Top 5 favorite drummers.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »
His playing in The Stone is the stuff of legends.  Just ridiculous. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »
I've always liked his playing especially after seeing them live years ago but I just forgot how good he really is.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »
Carter is indeed awesome.  One of the best drummers out there for sure.  DMB would not be the amazing band they are without him.

Offline Cable

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »
Some slight bumpage, in light of some of the best news in the last 10 years IMO w/ this band... [surprised this was not here already, sorry if it was.]

https://www.davematthewsband.com/index.php#/news/new-studio-album-coming-soon-0
Dave Matthews Band is currently in the studio recording a new album with Steve Lillywhite, producer of the band's first three studio albums, Under The Table And Dreaming, Crash and Before These Crowded Streets.

It's about friggin' time! While I did enjoy Big Whiskey, it was not on par with the first three, nor The Lillywhite Sessions. While I do not expect, nor is it possible for another BTCS or whatever, I do hope this will be the best record SINCE BTCS or at least TLS's. I do understand the band probably wanted a change for awhile, so no real harm.
---

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
It really is about damn time they got back together. The two forces are a match made in heaven and nothing can touch those first 3 albums.

The name of BTCS should have been "perpetual goosebumps" cause that's all I have during the whole second half of the album.

I think that UTAD is a more consistent and balanced album overall, but BTCS is definitely my favorite.  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:54:57 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
Wow, this could be something awesome on the horizon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »
I think the news about Steve Lillywhite producing this record was out two months ago; I probably should have mentioned it when I first posted that they were working on a new album.  My bad. :facepalm: :lol :biggrin:

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2012, 05:01:41 AM »
Anybody else listened to the new songs yet? (Mercy and Gaucho, both on youtube).

Only listened to each once, but they sound good.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2012, 07:40:01 AM »
Anybody else listened to the new songs yet? (Mercy and Gaucho, both on youtube).

Only listened to each once, but they sound good.

Just checked both of them out as well. Pretty good stuff :tup

Offline BanksD

« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2012, 09:02:49 AM »

Looks like Dave is drawing the album art again this time around.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2012, 05:56:50 AM »
I am excite, just pre ordered the super deluxe edition from the DMB site. This and new Neal Morse on the same day daim that's good.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2012, 06:47:46 PM »
Just listened to the new album on the Itunes stream. Pretty solid.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »
Listening now.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »
First impression: it's like they're walking the same path they did in the early albums, but because they're older or something like that, they're content with going at a comfortable saunter. There are few moments on the whole album where the band seems all that amped up and energetic, but Dave can still write a hell of a bunch of songs, and the band can still play those songs beautifully. Basically, they've taken their old sound and re-imagined it as this mature, breezy pop-rock. It seemed far from essential DMB, but I couldn't really fault it either.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »
I'll be checking this out.  Looking at the song lengths, they all seem pretty short, except for the last song, which is a slight bummer as the greatness of those first three albums stems from them having some really cool jams within the context of catchy, well-written pop rock songs.  I know they often do jams with those songs live, but I wish they'd get back to doing some of them on the studio albums.  I loved Big Whiskey..., but it could have been on the level of those early albums with a little more stretching out on a few of those songs.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »
Big Whiskey was a hard album to listen to because of depressing (understandably) overtones.  As a result, it doesn't really get spun anymore.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »
Haven't heard anything off the new album aside from "Mercy" I can't wait to check it out tho. . .

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
What DMB fans around here are fans of The Lillywhite Sessions?

Offline BanksD

« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2014, 05:08:38 PM »
huge bump here

Been really binge listening to this band almost non-stop since late May since im getting ready to see them in Jacksonville next tuesday  :metal

I'm really excited to see how the new Two Sets thing they're doing this year turns out because I've listened to some audience tapes this year and so far what I've heard sounded really tight!

also i know this post is about a year old but I just have to chime in:

What DMB fans around here are fans of The Lillywhite Sessions?

I really love tLWS. Even though they aren't fully completed I listen to them more than almost any of their other albums (except BTCS and UTTAD).

I really love how raw it is, and even if it's mostly unfinished and some songs have lyrics that are really aimless and non-sensical, I just get a kick out of the higher points on the album like Big Eyed Fish, JTR, Monkey Man, and Bartender ( oh god that Bartender  :hefdaddy )

I'm not much fond of the way the commonly listed track order is (with the two weakest songs imo closing out the album) so I re-ordered it a while back to something more like:

Grey Street
Kit Kat Jam
Busted Stuff
Sweet Up and Down
Grave Is Gone
Big Eyed Fish
Raven
JTR
Captain
Diggin a Ditch
Monkey Man
Bartender

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2014, 09:07:52 PM »
I'm seeing DMB in a few weeks!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2014, 04:17:13 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »
:lol that's pretty damn hilarious.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
Dave Matthews Band - #41 w/ The Flecktones - 2002

Just a great performance with lots of solos and jam.

On another note I recently listen to Daves solo album Some Devil for the first time in years. I love that album, it's a tremendous feel good album. Ok maybe not "feel good" but I just love it damn it!  :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
#41 is such a great song.  Possibly a top 3 DMB song for me.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2014, 06:41:58 AM »
That is a really good #41. My favourite is Live Trax Vol. 1, which is also a Flecktones one.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »
Stumbled upon some clips with Dave doing some acoustic songs for fans. Used to be obsessed with this band and hearing his voice brings me back. He's always been and still is so brilliant by himself singing with his guitar along with his dry sense humor of course.

Raven
Beach Ball
Ants Marching
Tripping Billies
Where Are You Going