Author Topic: Dave Matthews Band -  (Read 25909 times)

Offline jfwund

Dave Matthews Band -
« on: May 27, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
I used to like them back in high school/college (Remember 2 Things/Under the Table/Crash/Crowded Streets) and am only now rediscovering them.  Anyone else like these guys?

Their new album comes out next week, and can be listened to in its entirety on Pandora today. Not sure I'm a fan of the electric guitar, but I've only heard the first few songs...

https://www.pandora.com/davematthewsband

Any recommendations for a progressive music listener for where to go with DMB after their first four albums?
—No, continued Aunt Kate, she wouldn't be said or led by anyone, slaving there in that choir night and day, night and day. Six o'clock on Christmas morning! And all for what?
—Well, isn't it for the honour of God, Aunt Kate? asked Mary Jane, twisting round on the piano-stool and smiling.
Aunt Kate turned fiercely on her niece and said:
—I know all about the honour of God, Mary Jane

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
Re: Dave Matthews Band -
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:37:21 AM »
yes. DMB are great, put on wonderful live shows, and most people don't realize just how talented and meaningful this band is.

RIP LeRoi.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:47:31 AM »
Any recommendations for a progressive music listener for where to go with DMB after their first four albums?

Busted Stuff.  It is not as good as their early stuff, but is still very good, nonetheless.

Everyday has a few good songs, but is pretty meh overall.  Stand Up is atrocious.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:30:49 AM »

Busted Stuff.  It is not as good as their early stuff, but is still very good, nonetheless.

Everyday has a few good songs, but is pretty meh overall.  Stand Up is atrocious.

BS is the best of the post BTCS albums for sure, but everything DMB up to BTCS is amazing.

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
I have Busted Stuff, that was pretty good.  My only problem with DMB is that they get really old really fast.  I start listening and think "oh this is kinda cool/chill/good" and then after three songs I get sick of it and everybody thinks I'm crazier for it.  Still, I heard they covered "Sledgehammer" when they came to Raleigh, so that gives them some points.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 11:33:37 AM »
I really like them, but mostly live. Busted stuff is the only studio album I like to listen to, the rest is far better live. I saw them at the Central Park, which was where I should have stopped. Randall's Island show was very boring, mellow, and pretty much intended for pot heads I assume. I don't think I'll see them again but that one concert at Central park was my favorite concert ever.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 01:39:23 PM »
I have Busted Stuff, that was pretty good.  My only problem with DMB is that they get really old really fast.  I start listening and think "oh this is kinda cool/chill/good" and then after three songs I get sick of it and everybody thinks I'm crazier for it.  Still, I heard they covered "Sledgehammer" when they came to Raleigh, so that gives them some points.

If you get sick of the recordings, check out the bootlegs, particularly with songs with long jams in them, like #41 and Seek Up.

And I still stand by my statement that nothing will ever beat a DMB concert at Alpine Valley. Went in 06 and 07, and will be going this year as well.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »
I can only listen to so much of DMB at a time, but I do like them. I'm gonna be seeing two of their concerts cause my friend bought me tickets as a grad present when they come to Hartford in 2 weeks. However, everything up to BTCS = amazing. And Busted Stuff is awesome too. I've listened to the new album once through and its ok, but I gotta listen to it more before I make a defined opinion on it.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »
@OP: Do you have any live albums? If not, I'd be headed there pretty quick. My favourites are Live in Chicago and Live Trax Vol. 1, though most people love Central Park. Their Best Of, Best of What's Around, also has a LOT of really good live stuff, especially if you dig up a copy with the Encore disc.

If you're going studio, I'd take Lillywhite Sessions over Busted Stuff, although IMO either disc has better versions of some songs, so it's best to have both and make your own version of the album. If that sounds weird, look up how the album came about.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »
Their Best Of, Best of What's Around, also has a LOT of really good live stuff, especially if you dig up a copy with the Encore disc.

holy hell yes, the #41 on the encore disc with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones is nothing short of inspiring, and I was at the show where that discs Warehouse comes from, which was one of my favorite live DMB moments.

Offline jfwund

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »
I'll look into some of their live stuff. I saw them play on the Crash tour, and I wasn't all that impressed, but it was a short concert, (1.5 hours) and Soul Coughing was such a great opener, that may have skewed my impressions. 

I didn't know that they released the Lillywhite sessions. Where can I find it (online store?).

Cheers

—No, continued Aunt Kate, she wouldn't be said or led by anyone, slaving there in that choir night and day, night and day. Six o'clock on Christmas morning! And all for what?
—Well, isn't it for the honour of God, Aunt Kate? asked Mary Jane, twisting round on the piano-stool and smiling.
Aunt Kate turned fiercely on her niece and said:
—I know all about the honour of God, Mary Jane

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 03:29:10 PM »
I'll look into some of their live stuff. I saw them play on the Crash tour, and I wasn't all that impressed, but it was a short concert, (1.5 hours) and Soul Coughing was such a great opener, that may have skewed my impressions. 

I didn't know that they released the Lillywhite sessions. Where can I find it (online store?).

Cheers

it never has been released officially, but the internet is your friend.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 07:26:38 PM »
Their post BTCS stuff isn't that great but their first four are godly, best stoner music ever. Busted Stuff is very good too. I saw them live two out of their three nights here and both nights were two of the best shows I've ever seen. They're such a fun band.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 07:49:17 PM »
I love DMB, but Stand Up sucked, I really didn't enjoy the album at all. Great live show, I've seen them a few times.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »
Their post BTCS stuff isn't that great but their first four are godly, best stoner music ever. Busted Stuff is very good too. I saw them live two out of their three nights here and both nights were two of the best shows I've ever seen. They're such a fun band.

:facepalm:

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »
Holy crap dude will you open your eyes for just a minute? If you go to a DMB concert or even look at a video of them playing you'll see a blanket of smoke over the crowd. You can't deny that DMB is stoner music.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
Holy crap dude will you open your eyes for just a minute? If you go to a DMB concert or even look at a video of them playing you'll see a blanket of smoke over the crowd. You can't deny that DMB is stoner music.

actually yes i can. just because other people choose to think of it as stoner music doesn't make it so. they make great music that blends a lot of very distinct genres, and can be very creative while doing that. not something i think of as stoner music.

If your "blanket of smoke" at a concert makes a band stoner music then i suppose Dream Theater is stoner music? at two of their concerts I have ben in a blanket of ganj. Also at Matchbox 20 and Britney Spears. definitely stoner music...

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
I'd say DMB is definitely music a lot of stoners listen to, but I don't think that DEFINES their music. And why does it matter either way?  :P

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 05:31:00 AM »
Yeah, I was gonna say, what exactly is stoner music anyway? Just music people get stoned to? Cos people will get stoned to whatever they like. I knew a guy at uni who was nuts about specifically lighting up to Gabriel-era Genesis and King Crimson, which I thought was awesome. Every time I found him at a party, he'd rave about those two bands and how they were great for getting stoned to. I always loved that guy.

Their Best Of, Best of What's Around, also has a LOT of really good live stuff, especially if you dig up a copy with the Encore disc.

holy hell yes, the #41 on the encore disc with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones is nothing short of inspiring, and I was at the show where that discs Warehouse comes from, which was one of my favorite live DMB moments.
Wow, you were at that Warehouse? That's by far my favourite Warehouse. That album also has my favourite Minarets, Say Goodbye, Everyday, What You Are and good contenders for favourite Last Stop, Two Step, and, as you said, #41.

Cheers

it never has been released officially, but the internet is your friend.
Yeah, just Google it, it's all over the place.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 06:50:19 AM »
I need DMB in small dosages, and usually prefer it to be his older stuff. I see him every summer though as an excuse to get fucked up all day. 

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 03:01:32 PM »

Wow, you were at that Warehouse? That's by far my favourite Warehouse. That album also has my favourite Minarets, Say Goodbye, Everyday, What You Are and good contenders for favourite Last Stop, Two Step, and, as you said, #41.

yep! i must say it was definitely the coolest Warehouse I have seen, which is only like 2 I think, hahaha. But of all the version I have that's the one I listen to most, especially since it brings back memories from the best weekend of the year! (I must say Alpine is the way to see DMB for anyone)

and #41 on that disc is also my fav, and I love to just pick up my guitar and improv over it. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are amazing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 04:05:24 PM »
I saw DMB two nights in a row in '00, when Bela Fleck and the Flecktones opened up for them and then came and jammed with them at the end of their sets.  I remember them all performing "Ants Marching," "41" and "Two Step" together over the course of those two nights.  I still have the bootlegs of those performances.  It was pretty rad.  :coolio :coolio :coolio

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »

Saw them in 96 with Bela opening and they were great.  Also saw Bela with the original harp player Howard Levy at Berkley Perf. arts center in boston in 1992 or 93.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 05:52:52 PM »
I live in NZ, I haven't seen them HAHAHA LOL

:(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 12:14:39 PM »
FYI, their new album, Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King, is terrific.  "Squirm" is easily one of their best songs ever, and others like "Spaceman," "Lying in the Hands of God," "Seven," "Why I Am" and "Time Bomb" are great, as well.  The rest are all also good.  If you are a fan of old school DMB, then you will dig this record.  :coolio

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »
I saw them Friday and Saturday night... AMAZING!!! Pig, Dancing Nancies, Dreaming Tree, Time Bomb... I was in heaven.

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »
God yes, Big Wishkey is a great return to form. Shake Me Like a Monkey is seriously one of my favorite songs since the BTCS era, the damn thing blew me away.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »
Grux pulls at my heartstrings a bit when i put it on. I miss my LeRoi...  :(

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 03:52:40 PM »
Probably buying this this week.

Offline MS394

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 04:36:25 PM »
Great band. Carter Beauford is amazing  :hefdaddy .

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »
I have Before These Crowded Streets and I just can't find what's good in it. I prefer Crash.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 06:42:19 PM »
I have Before These Crowded Streets and I just can't find what's good in it. I prefer Crash.

I'm the opposite way  :P I feel the first half of Crash is good but the second half doesn't so anything for me.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
Great band. Carter Beauford is amazing  :hefdaddy .

I'm just getting into DMB, and seriously, Carter could give MP a run for his money.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 11:06:10 PM »
I have Before These Crowded Streets and I just can't find what's good in it. 

"Rapunzel" and "The Last Stop" are a little out there, and being the first two full-length songs, they can make the album as a whole difficult to get into at first, but once you get over that hurdle, the true greatness of it really shines through.  For my money, BTCS is one of the best rock albums ever; a 5-star masterpiece in every way.

Maybe, for now, try just listening to:

"The Stone"
"Crush"
"The Dreaming Tree"

That is one of the best 3-song runs on any album I own.  Those are the three songs that got me into DMB back in '99, and I always recommend others starting with them.

I'm just getting into DMB, and seriously, Carter could give MP a run for his money.

Both are great, but I think Beauford is better.  In fact, he is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite drummer.  His cymbal work on "The Stone" is just sick.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »

Maybe, for now, try just listening to:

"The Stone"
"Crush"
"The Dreaming Tree"

That is one of the best 3-song runs on any album I own.

definitely not an overstatement those 3 songs are nothing short of magnificent. and they all rock live (though i haven't gotten to see the Stone yet, but hopefully that might change this year.