Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 3710 times)

Offline AndyDT

Twin Peaks
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:08:26 AM »
Did anybody watch this when it was on (early 90s)? I've heard good things about it but never investigated it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Twin Peaks
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:05 AM »
I was totally caught up in it when it originally aired by in the day. Very rarely did I ever make that much of a point to watch a serialized show on TV, and remember I had to tape it on the old VCR when I knew I'd miss it. A very original show back them.

I revisited it lately (all episodes are on CBS' website) and was pretty underwhelmed. It was cool for the nostalgia factor, but if that wasn't there, I doubt I would have got what the big deal about it was. If you want to check it out, it's not a huge time investment as there are less than 30 total episodes I think. It is very Lynchian, so keep that in mind. The first 10 or so are pretty interesting and entertaining for a quirky TV show, but after that, it seems like they were just making it up as they went along and it wandered aimlessly until the cord was (thankfully) pulled.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:49:13 AM »
Sounds like it ran out of steam.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:13:29 AM »
I think it has to do with the mystery of Laura's death/killer. Lynch apparently never really wanted to totally resolve that issue and keep that the central theme throughout, but got pressured by the network to reveal her killer. Once that was revealed, the show struggled to find something new to focus on. Some subplots were interesting (I personally think the whole Ghostwood/Ben Horne/Josie/Packard/Eckhart storyline was more intriguing than Laura's death), most were not. if you watch it, don't get too caught up in Laura's death and enjoy it more for the Lynchian view of a quirky small town.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:27:06 AM »
It seems like it could have been better as a 6 part serial or something like that.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »
It's my favorite show of all time.

That is all.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 03:51:11 AM »
What did you like about it?

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
Long bump, about halfway through the second season and I'm loving it. It's weird to have played Deadly Premonition first (a video game inspired by Twin Peaks).

Dunno if Andy will ever see it, but it's the quirky characters mainly, as you'd expect from Lynch.

Also as a side note I had no idea that Lara Flynn Boyle was born right next to me. (Davenport is literally connected to my city)

And holy shit what happened to her?

How the hell does this warrant plastic surgery??

Now:

:|

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:24:13 PM »
Yuck.

I hadn't even noticed that someone was asking what I like about it.
I like how strange and unique of a show it was. Quirky, dark, humorous, heart-warming etc.
It was far from perfect, but it just had a great balance of everything I like in a TV show.
And nothing has ever really come out that has surpassed it.

Offline kala1928

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »
If you gonna watch it, the less you know about it the better. Loses a lot of the coolness on the second round I'd assume.
Its funny, quirky, dark, mysterious and intriguing. Characters are really well rounded and have depth to them. And oh, the soundtrack.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 03:54:07 AM »
Thanks, I still haven't bought it although noticed somebody else buying the box set recently.

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 04:01:18 PM »
Just watch until the first huge plot (the one it evolves around, you'll see which I mean when you see it) is solved and then TURN OFF YOUR TV SET! Don't watch any further. Husband's awe for this series disappeared with the last half of season 2 :( My reverie held out a bit further but it's not worth taking that chance. Especially don't watch the movie even though it had like 1 or 2 extremely funny parts.

Also: Kyle MacLachlan is so awesome. So, so awesome.

Also: The *ding* Norwegians *ding* are leaving *ding* *ding* The Norwegians *ding* are *ding* leaving *ding* The *ding* Norwegians *ding* are leaving *ding*

*leaving*

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 04:11:54 PM »
Yeah, I've only got 5 episodes left so I'm going to finish it, but it has lost a lot of its luster. Josie was such a terrible character, and I don't like the subplot there with Catherine at all.

The actor for Leland was phenomenal.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
I like the Windom Earle stuff. They just introduced it far too late into the second season to save it.
I for one love the film, although I was disappointed when I first saw it. But it has since become a favorite of mine.
I see it as a decoder for the rest of the series if you analyze it a bit.
Also, while we're on the subject, this was me last Halloween: