Author Topic: That Metal Show  (Read 2561 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
That Metal Show
« on: June 27, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
I love it and it is one of the only things on TV I make sure I record every week. Haven't seen yesterday's yet but I will tonight.

Anyone else dig it?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: That Metal Show
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 07:43:26 PM »
S'alright.  Watch it when its on (which is a lot of the time).  I feel kind of proud when I get a "Stump the Trunk" question that Eddie misses (easiest one was the name of the DT studio album with Charlie Dominici).

Offline Slain

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 07:53:39 PM »
Didn't realize they threw in an old school DT question, that's cool. I saw all of the first season, haven't really seen any of it since then, I liked the Mike Portnoy one especially. It's a "meh" show overall though, Eddie Trunk is the only guy that should be on there, the other two comedians are just irritating. If MP wasn't already doing a shitload already, I'd say he should join the show.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:13:48 AM by Slain »
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »
Love the show.  No new show last night with the Rush Doc playing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 07:56:06 PM »
It's a good show but I feel that the segments are too short. It would benefit from an hour long slot

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 07:57:46 PM »
It's a good show but I feel that the segments are too short. It would benefit from an hour long slot

Yeah.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »

Yeah.

I love the show.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 08:39:48 PM »
Never heard of it, don't watch TV normally.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
S'alright.  Watch it when its on (which is a lot of the time).  I feel kind of proud when I get a "Stump the Trunk" question that Eddie misses (easiest one was the name of the DT studio album with Charlie Dominici).
I saw that one. I lol'd.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 10:47:53 PM »

A couple hot joizee skanks also stumped him by his lack of knowing that JLB was in Winter Rose prior to DT. As for the show, I really liked it a good bit for the first 4 or 5 shows that I saw but that "new show smell" wore off pretty quickly when I realized how it should definitely be called "That Heavy Metal Show." By that I mean they do a pretty damn good job covering 70s/80s metal and keep tabs quite well on the artists who estabished their cred during that time but it seems that Eddie Trunk doesn't have much, if any, interest in bands that hit the scene from the 90s onward. His two buddies seem pretty clueless on quality metal that's 90s or newer since I see them talking about Slipknot and Shadows Fall as if they're "carrying the torch" for quality metal(I personally don't dislike either band but you won't catch me sucking dick for tickets to their showsI only do that for Richard Marx.)

So my bottom line on it is: good show but very lacking due to there seeming like there's an unwritten rule that the only way music released within the last two decades can get covered is if a member of an older band is directly involved.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 10:53:48 PM »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 11:13:53 PM »
Black_Floyd, they actually made a joke right before one episode started: "That Metal Show is on VH1 Classic, so stop asking why your favorite Nu-Metal band isn't talked about."  So yeah, the channel's focused on 60s/70s/80s/early 90s stuff mostly, so TMS isn't going really going to look closely at new metal/hard rock bands.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 11:22:29 PM »
sounds like a cool show, wish I could watch it

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
Black_Floyd, they actually made a joke right before one episode started: "That Metal Show is on VH1 Classic, so stop asking why your favorite Nu-Metal band isn't talked about."  So yeah, the channel's focused on 60s/70s/80s/early 90s stuff mostly, so TMS isn't going really going to look closely at new metal/hard rock bands.
I REMEMBER THAT

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 12:27:54 AM »

Exactly why calling it "That Metal Show" is a little off the mark. They cover heavy metal which is what it was known as in its own time and is very specific to the pre-90s era. I like Sabbath, Priest, Rainbow, Rush, Zepp, Maiden and others from that era a good bit actually so I take no issue with that. I just get the idea that they called it "That Metal Show" to lure in all metal heads despite the fact that they clearly intend on ignoring a fair bit of the metal music that is listened to by the same people they tried luring in with the more timeline-ambiguous use of "metal" rather than "heavy metal."

I'm not trying to play show-naming police here but I feel that "metal" refers to all music made pertaining to metal regardless of chronology so if you're gonna stamp it with "metal" don't limit it to heavy metal. Same could be said if they only covered one genre of metal like black, power, death, prog or otherwise while still implying by title that they were taking all comers.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 06:48:34 AM »
Yeah It borders on dad rock worship a lot. And the shows pacing is a bit fast.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 06:50:15 AM »
Never heard of it, don't watch TV normally.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
*snip*

I'm also going to point out they start off most shows with "Welcome to That Metal Show your home for hard rock and heavy metal."  That way they don't have to call it the "That Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, NWOBHM, Thrash Metal, Glam Metal, and Progressive Metal before 1995 Show" but still let viewers know "hey this is what's up."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 12:45:04 AM »
When the blonde guy said he actually liked "St. Anger" I called BS; he has no idea about anything.

The DIO show was incredible. I actually liked this show.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 09:23:50 AM »
I just saw the episode with George Lynch and Don Dokken last night, 'twas alright. Since they moved to Los Angeles, the feel of the show just isn't what it used to be. Still cool though.