Author Topic: Album Lengths  (Read 6919 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Album Lengths
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »
But unlike a VHS and cassette DVDs and CDs are the same size.

True, but it's all based on how the discs are made. Blu-rays, while the same size as DVDs, can hold up to 25 gigs (single-layer) or 50 gigs (dual-layer), so the "same size" argument can't really be made - the most a DVD could hold is 17 gigs, but only on rarely made double-sided, dual-layered discs.

You could fit everything DT has released (audio wise) onto a single-layer Blu-Ray and have room leftover!

Sure, the media format for video has always evolved and been a part of many format-wars (Betamax vs. VHS, and then in the hi-def era HD-DVDs vs. Blu-ray), but for audio it has always been a sort of smooth transition, from vinyl, to 8-track, to audio cassette, to CDs, which haven't changed much since their inception in the late 80's (the only change I could think of is going from 75 minutes to 80 minutes on maximum length).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Chagny

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2010, 10:11:19 PM »
Or you can carry a backpack full of CDs. Whatever boats your float.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
There is also a money issue for me.

I feel ripped off paying 15-20 dollars for a CD thats only 45 minutes long.

Interesting thing about that is that albumss back in the 70s and 80s usually topped out at around 45 minutes, but cost the same amount of money, but 15 dollars in 1981 was not as good a value as 15 dollars in 2010.  So, when you think about it, the fact that we usually get CDs of anywhere from 60-80 minutes from many bands now, and for basically a discount (since CD prices staying the same over a long period of time is basically them going down), is major value for music fans of today. :coolio

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 12:05:01 AM »
Still. I'm used to getting around an hour.