Author Topic: Album Lengths  (Read 6918 times)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Album Lengths
« on: June 27, 2010, 04:40:41 PM »
A comment was made in the "BC&SL - One Year Later" thread about how when DT tries to surpass the 70-minute length on an album, the added minutes become filler.
So, I ask all you gentle-folk out there: Is DT better off using the extra CD space, or should they pull back a bit?
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Album Lengths
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 04:45:36 PM »
For somebody comming from the age of albums where you could only get 45 minutes at the max, length doesn't bother me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 04:47:15 PM »
Every DT album starting from Awake is >70 minutes.

I don't have any problem with the album lengths, they're one of the (rather few) bands that have mastered the ability of creating long songs and long albums.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 04:48:45 PM »
I can only think of 2, maybe 3 songs, where I feel the instrumental sections to a song seemed like added filler. None of those songs are on BC&SL.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »
I believe album length is relatively irrelevant. Now if you investigate the effects of song length wants/obligations, then you might be onto something.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 04:51:25 PM »

This, so this isn't something new that DT is trying with BC&SL. A lot of that album is filler IMO, but if you look at Six Degrees (which is an hour and a half long) I don't really believe any of that album is filler, whereas some would probably disagree. I think it matters how it's approached musically, I doubt DT is just trying to make sure every album is past 70 minutes.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »
I don't care about the length of the album, but obviously some of their songs have been longer than necessary and could have been trimmed down.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »

I don't have any problem with the album lengths, they're one of the (rather few) bands that have mastered the ability of creating long songs and long albums.

And if they had their way back then, "A Change Of Seasons" (in it's then-current 20-minute length) would've brought Images And Words to about 77-78 minutes long. As it stands, here's how the band's album's lengths evolve:
51:25
57:03
75:00
78:12
77:06
96:13
69:23
75:45
78:33
75:25

The average length of their albums is 73:24.

SDOIT was 23 minutes longer than average, but then TOT ended up being 4 minutes shorter, which isn't so much. I've grown used to them putting out 75 minute albums, and to be quite honest, I'm surprised they haven't produced another 2-disc set yet.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »
Ok, so would a better question be; should DT make a shorter album next time?

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
They should pull back any unnecessary parts of songs. One thing I do like about a lot of their earlier albums (even up to 8VM, sorta) is that the song always progressed.

SC and BC&SL (an album I don't like and an album I love) both have a bit of repetitiveness going on, even in some songs I love (Constant Motion, Repentance, A Nightmare to Remember, A Rite of Passage).

Then again, some songs I love keep progressing from those two albums (ITPOE, TDEN, TSF, TBOT, TCOT).

Length of an album doesn't bother me as much as filler does. And it's happened a bit since *VM, where it seemed OK because of their approach.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »
Don't they just write until they have 70 minutes of material nowadays? I think if they wrote more and included less we'd have a better product.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 09:02:20 PM »
Dream Theater are one of the only bands that can get away with having albums exceeding 70 minutes. Most of the time, I prefer it when albums are under an hour. But with DT I've come to expect > 70 minutes, so if they made one shorter it would seem too short by their standards.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Definitely pull it back. I remember back when Octavarium was coming out Portnoy had a poll on his forum asking if people wanted a tight 60 minute album or a full 80 minute album. Obviously everyone chose 80 minutes. But imagine if that extra 20 minutes were axed? The Answer Lies Within, Never Enough, and I Walk Beside You probably would've been the first B-sides since SFAM and the album as a whole would've gone from just mediocre to really solid.

Granted length honestly isn't DT's biggest problem but it's been a long time since they utilized it to its potential. I'd love to see what they'd do with a 60 minute album because they might actually have to a *GASP* cut some things out that don't fit.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »
I can't say I've ever listened to a Dream Theater album and thought "this'd be great if there were less music on it."

Dream Theater are too album-oriented to really "do" filler. Falling Into Infinity's the closest they've flirted with it, and in fairness that was more due to executive meddling than the songs being intrinsically weak per se. You Not Me is a nice enough song but fairly filler-y. You Or Me, on the other hand, has a lot of strength and billows a bit more.

One fella up-thread (can't remember who) said that Black Clouds and Silver Linings had too much filler. ...Where?! It's only got six songs, one of which is an obligatory grand finale to a suite, two of which are the centrepieces, two of which are the carefully focused singles, and then The Best of Times is anything but filler. For Mike that'd've been the most important bit.

The only bit I could really see anyone feasably cutting is a bit of meat off A Nightmare to Remember, and maybe tightening the screws on the instrumental section to A Rite of Passage. That'd come to about three minutes, max.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
I don't really mind the length but they need more songs/variety for their next album. I think a lot of BC&SL can be cut and it would be a better album but that's my opinion. Having only 6 songs running @ 75:25 is too much especially for me since I only listen to half of the album. At least 8+ tracks would be the best.  

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
I can't say I've ever listened to a Dream Theater album and thought "this'd be great if there were less music on it."
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 01:30:52 AM »
Generally, DT's albums don't contain as much filler as many other albums that exceed the 60-minute mark. And even the filler hardly consists of whole songs, but rather some chunks in several songs.
In my opinion, DT doesn't necessarily need to cut back the album length for the sake of cutting back (although, as a listener, 75 minutes tends to be a bit much).

I think that DT's next album will exceed the 70-minute mark anyway, unless we get a huge surprise (on which I'm not banking).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 08:01:50 AM »
It's not about length, it's about girth. :D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 08:34:04 AM »
It's not about length, it's about girth. :D

:lol  Actually, it's about both but girth is more important.   :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline robwebster

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 08:52:51 AM »
...are you trying to tell us something?

Offline Chagny

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
The next album will be a 2-disc set, and will essentially be 110 minutes of You Not Me played repeatedly, mixed with the screams of dying camels and parakeets.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 10:47:42 AM »
The next album will be a 2-disc set, and will essentially be 110 minutes of You Not Me played repeatedly, mixed with the screams of dying camels and parakeets.

what is this is dont even...
just no
no
no
stop
no
what?
no

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »

I will buy it and I will love it.
/fanboy
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
m the one who made the comment the OP is talking about (nice to see im sparking discussion so quickly!)

SC could definitely utilized less disc space (i hate Prophets of War, otherwise a great album)

whats funny though is i enjoy every track on Six Degrees, maybe they SHOULD do another 2-disc album, concept album, and total prog rock record!

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »
Go listen to Year Of The Black Rainbow if you want to see what "cutting the fat" does.

Doesn't matter any way. They are gonna do what the want. And 8 out 10 of us are gonna love it.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »
I prefer shorter albums (45-55 mins), but DT seems to make it work.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 07:03:12 PM »
The length isn't a problem, it's 75 minute albums consisting of 7 songs. That tends to be more of an issue for me. I feel so unfulfilled after 7 songs, despite how long the album is. 12 songs or so would do much more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 07:07:54 PM »
There is also a money issue for me.

I feel ripped off paying 15-20 dollars for a CD thats only 45 minutes long.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 07:12:54 PM »
The length isn't a problem, it's 75 minute albums consisting of 7 songs. That tends to be more of an issue for me. I feel so unfulfilled after 7 songs, despite how long the album is. 12 songs or so would do much more.

This

And it still amazes me that CDs still, after all these years, have an 80 minute limit :\

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 07:41:05 PM »

This

And it still amazes me that CDs still, after all these years, have an 80 minute limit :\

Fucking a. How can they fit all of the live DT performances on one DVD but they have to spread them on 3 CDs?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »

This

Fucking a. How can they fit all of the live DT performances on one DVD but they have to spread them on 3 CDs?

If people weren't so picky about sound quality (lossy vs. lossless), you could fit hundreds of mp3s on to a CD... Just saying.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
The sound quality on live concert DVDs isn't poor.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2010, 08:10:56 PM »
The sound quality on live concert DVDs isn't poor.

I never said they were. Besides, DVDs are built to hold over 4 gigs of information, whereas CDs are only built for about 800 megs of info, roughly 20% of that of a DVD. It's just the way the media differs. Same with VHS vs. Cassette tapes - most VHS tapes could hold up to 6 hours of video (although the quality degraded at the length), but audio Cassettes only held about 90 minutes for most albums back in the 80's.

Video media is just made to hold more, and it seems it always has been and probably always will be, especially now that video has moved into high definition with Blu-Ray becoming more and more popular/common. I'm not sure how much more hi-def audio media can get given the current means that audio is able to be played through.

-Marc.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2010, 08:15:53 PM »
But unlike a VHS and cassette DVDs and CDs are the same size.