Author Topic: Motorhead  (Read 9091 times)

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
Motorhead
« on: June 27, 2010, 01:54:59 AM »
I checked via search and didn't find any threads about Motorhead. Any fans? I'm looking to get into them, as I only know their hits right now. What's a good first album to get/what's their best album?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorhead
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
I'm not a big fan but I enjoy a couple of their songs. One album I like is Overkill, check that one out.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 02:16:32 AM »
I'm a big fan
if you'd like to get into them you should check out these albums:
Overkill
Ace Of Spades
Bomber
Iron Fist
Motorhead
Orgasmatron

those are the essentials
let me know what you think of their music after you've listened.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 03:33:24 AM »
I know of the covers that Metallica did back in the mid 90s. They're on Overkill and so I got that. It's nothing really special imo, so if you feel like it get the version with the Too Late Too Late b-side.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:29:34 AM »
Great band, even though they lack a bit in variety.  The lineup at the moment is killer, Mickey Dee is doing good things for Motorhead.  I own;

Ace of Spades (2CD expanded edition)
Bomber (2CD expanded edition)
Inferno (CD/DVD) (Digi)
Iron Fist (2CD expanded Edition)
Kiss of Death (Digi)
Live at Brixton ‘87
On Parole
We Are Motorhead

Best out of them is Ace of Spades, Inferno and We Are Motorhead.  I still have to pick up Overkill though, as it really is an essential.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 11:49:21 AM »

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
Check out Ace of Spades first, considering it has their biggest hit (the title track)

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 02:06:59 PM »
I swore that I would never see them in concert ever to a friend as a joke.  Well one night I went to see Alice Cooper on the Raise Your Fists And Yell tour(1986?) and I got to the place and as we were walking in I thought I heard "The Ace Of Spades" so I ran down the hall screaming "Noooooooooooo" and it was them.

A week later me friend got into my room, via my mom,(thanks mom) and he saved every Lemme pictures out of every rock mag he could find and put the Lemme pictures over the Geddy Lee pics I had on my wall.  The shock when I got to my room to see this.  i did get him back but's a whole other story! :laugh:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »
Great band, even though they lack a bit in variety.  The lineup at the moment is killer, Mickey Dee is doing good things for Motorhead. 

The lineup is great.
Mikkey Dee is a great drummer and Phil Campbell is phenomenal on the guitar.

A Motorhead show in november last year is until today still one of my favorite concerts ever.
I got a pick from Phil and Lemmy pointed at me and screamed: HELL YEAH WERE MOTORHEAD!!!!
He said that because I was screaming Motorhead!!!! very loudly.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »
Don't have any of their albums, but every time I've seen them I enjoyed it immensely.  They're a great live band. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »
Basically a bump. Saw them for the first time yesterday! SO LOUD. SO POWAH.

Long story short, holy fuck Motorhead is great live.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 04:52:04 PM »
Yeah, they are probably the loudest band I've ever seen.

Offline Hayden

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
I'm glad to hear that they're still able to kick it live. They were amazing on the 'Stage Fright' DVD, but that was back in 2004, and 7 years can prove to be a rather long time.

Anyway, yes, I'm a pretty huge Motorhead fan, but unlike most fans, I personally prefer their later material, particularly their past 5 albums. I just think that the songwriting has improved drastically from the early days, where many of their songs just sounded like alternate versions of "Ace of Spades". The riffs appeal to me more, the lyrics are far above average quality for the hard rock genre, and the songs are just simply more diverse and sophisticated. If I were to recommend an album of theirs to somebody, it would definitely be 'Hammered', 'Inferno', 'Kiss of Death', 'Motorizer' or 'The World Is Yours', and I'd say try out the 'classic stuff' later if you feel like it. But that's just my personal position on it.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 08:41:45 PM »
Yeah, I like all the classics like Ace of Spades and No Sleep Until Hammersmith and Orgasmatron, their modern CDs are pretty, well, consistently Motorhead, but I'm gonna be contrary and give a shout out to Another Perfect Day. It got a lot of flak when it came out because of Brian Robertson being on it (and how he didn't want to play Motorhead classics and dressed funny) but goddamn is that one underrated album. "Shine" kicks serious butt and while Motorhead never sounded like that again, "One Track Mind" has some killer solos on it. Don't get me wrong, it isn't their best album by far, but I always feel like I'm the only Motorhead fan that gives it the time of day.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »
Happy birthday Lemmy!

Offline philmcson

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »
Just returned from their Ljubljana, Slovenia concert. Don't feel the need to post endless praise for this quintessential hard rock band, but it is obvious that (because of Lemmy?) they have slowed almost all of their songs down, which sounds maybe a bit powerless when you get to listen Ace of Spades and Overkill, although I still did a proper headbang on the latter one. And they played my favorite (Doctor Rock) on the previous shows, but for some reason didn't play it tonight, so it was only an 80 minutes setlist. Pity, but surely better than if I had never had the opportunity to see Lemmy.....

Offline jammindude

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
Everyone should own one Motorhead album. 

Doesn't matter which one.   (though No Remorse is probably the "Bob Marley - Legend" of the bunch)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 12:56:16 AM »
Overkill or Ace of Spades are almost necessary.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
Umm.... does my favorite WWE intro song.

That's all I got.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Hayden

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 03:59:51 AM »
Yeah, I like all the classics like Ace of Spades and No Sleep Until Hammersmith and Orgasmatron, their modern CDs are pretty, well, consistently Motorhead, but I'm gonna be contrary and give a shout out to Another Perfect Day. It got a lot of flak when it came out because of Brian Robertson being on it (and how he didn't want to play Motorhead classics and dressed funny) but goddamn is that one underrated album. "Shine" kicks serious butt and while Motorhead never sounded like that again, "One Track Mind" has some killer solos on it. Don't get me wrong, it isn't their best album by far, but I always feel like I'm the only Motorhead fan that gives it the time of day.

'Another Perfect Day' is a damn fine album. I think it was with that album that the band actually hit their straps. I love the fact that it was a little more diverse, and I think the melodic touches here and there actually took Motorhead's music to another level. Overall, their whole sound was lifted with that album. And it really was the first time that they broke their mold, and freed themselves up a bit, musically, which NEEDED to happen.

Also, yeah, "Shine" is just exemplary; fully agree with you there.

That's all I got.

"King of Kings", "The Game" or "Line in the Sand"?

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »

'Another Perfect Day' is a damn fine album. I think it was with that album that the band actually hit their straps. I love the fact that it was a little more diverse, and I think the melodic touches here and there actually took Motorhead's music to another level. Overall, their whole sound was lifted with that album. And it really was the first time that they broke their mold, and freed themselves up a bit, musically, which NEEDED to happen.

Also, yeah, "Shine" is just exemplary; fully agree with you there.

That's all I got.

"King of Kings", "The Game" or "Line in the Sand"?

SHINE. SHINE. Just listen to that awesome song.
Don't mess with Take The Time.

Offline adace

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 02:28:41 PM »
In case you guys haven't heard, the new album is called Aftershock and will be released Oct. 22. The whole thing will be streamed online sometime before that.

The songs released so far:
Heartbreaker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5eww1Ctm6E

Queen of the Damned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9qOe5dapjg

Crying Shame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFdm7HJ3boI

End of Time: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16178-motorhead-end-of-time/

Going to Mexico: https://www.mtv.com/artists/motorhead/

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
I'm just a fan of the hits really. I have abest of which has the essential stuff. And No Sleep til Hammersmith is one of those awesome live albums they  just don't make anymore.

Offline adace

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 12:40:04 PM »

Offline philmcson

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »
Listen'd to! The new album is typical Motorhead, but it won't ever get boring  :metal

Of the 5 opportunities I had to see them live, I unfortunately made it to only one concert. A few months ago they had to cancel their slot at an Austrian metal festival I attended, for known reasons. Hopefully it'll become 2 soon  :smiley:

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
I find Aftershock a step below the last one. It's definitely the same formula, which I love, but I think the production or something is a bit off.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »
Regrettably it's looking pretty bad for Lemmy. They've cut short the last 3 shows, and tonight's Dallas show (and tomorrow's Houston gig) has been cancelled. Was looking forward to seeing Motörhead in a headlining capacity. Hopefully Lemmy will come up with a way to steel the soul of Keith Richards' sorry ass and live another 50 years.

On the bright side Saxon (who was support) is still playing across the street. Always love seeing Saxon.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 04:45:50 PM »
I saw the Lemmy thing on Bravewords the other day. Not Good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »
Hope for the best for Lemmy

Offline Mladen

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2015, 05:46:11 AM »
They've been canceling and cutting down shows for almost a year now, right? Can anyone explain me why they keep booking the shows if they know Lemmy's health is very critical?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2015, 05:35:29 PM »

Offline adace

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
Holy crap, RIP Lemmy :'(

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »
Saddens me to see that. You kind of knew it was coming, but I really wanted to believe the man was indestructible.
E.F. Benson

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2015, 06:11:22 PM »
RIP Lemmy