Author Topic: Losing the love for Prog-Metal  (Read 10762 times)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Losing the love for Prog-Metal
« on: June 23, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »
Somehow I am losing my big love for prog-metal. I used to listen to nothing else, but it has become increasingly stale for me. I rarely listen to Dream Theater anymore and most other prog-metal bands that I used to love are getting less and less listens. I like it when it comes through on shuffle, but I never have the urge to listen to a whole album of say Ayreon, Dream Theater or Kamelot (not really prog metal but whatever). I still love Pain of Salvation and Porcupine Tree but I think that is also fading a bit. I still believe that PoS is my favorite band/artist, but not as much as it used to be.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? I guess it's kinda natural to change tastes, but a few months ago I wouldn't have thought that I would ever get bored of DT or Kamelot.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: Losing the love for Prog-Metal
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:16:55 PM »
I'm definitely moving out of my metal interests and becoming more interested in more experimental/classical/post-prog kinds of bands. I barely listen to DT/Opeth/Ayreon/etc anymore and instead focus almost all my music listening time on bands like PT/Anathema and more classical prog acts like Yes/Genesis/Floyd/Queen, as well as some post-rock and even techno.

So yea, I hear ya.

EDIT: It is also very cyclical, so I know that within a year's time, I'm going to be in a massive DT phase, or a POS phase, etc. Right now I'm in the part of the cycle that wants experimental and atmospherical stuff.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline The Awesome

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 05:18:48 PM »
There is an entire world of great music outside of rock. Go discover it.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:21:45 PM »
I haven't really strayed outside rock yet. But definitely listening to some sub-genres I wouldn't have listened to a while ago.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:22:55 PM »

Great post.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »

This. Hip hop, electronica, or whatever... there's something amazing to be found in every genre of music.

I've lost my love for prog as well. I mean, I still like it, but there's so much better

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 05:32:11 PM »
I moved away from most prog metal several years ago. When I first got into DT, all I wanted was more prog metal, but eventually I realized that most of it is pretty terrible, outside of a few bands that were influencing all the others.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 05:38:15 PM »
I have explored a bit out of prog in the recent years (particularly gothic/doom metal has kind of interested me), but it's more in the way of broadening my tastes rather than "moving on". I still feel progressive metal is in the centre of everything I love in music, and it's the kind of music that I can incredibly enjoy listening to no matter what kind of current "phase" I'm in. I haven't listened to DT or other "classic" progressive metal seriously for a while now, but it's just a kind of break rather than a serious change, I can see myself returning to it soon. It's just a kind of music that never fails to impress me and that I can't get tired of, unlike some others.

And I know I'm risking getting flamed here, but I don't like the whole kind of "listening to anything but rock makes you awesome" attitude. I definitely see the point of discovering different kinds of music (I couldn't live without doing this), but this just feels like boasting how open-minded you are because you listen to everything...

edit
I moved away from most prog metal several years ago. When I first got into DT, all I wanted was more prog metal, but eventually I realized that most of it is pretty terrible, outside of a few bands that were influencing all the others.
I've heard this countless times and I still don't get it. How is it terrible, or how is it any more terrible than "not too original" bands in any other genre? It takes a lot of skill to play any kind of progressive metal even if it's on the borderline of being a DT cover band, not to mention the amount of skill and creativity needed to play it well. There are lots of interesting and unusual bands in the genre, and you really don't need to look that hard to find them.

Offline LTE

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »
I sort of had your experience a few months ago. Then I discovered IDM and ambient music.

:chill
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:27:59 PM »
And I know I'm risking getting flamed here, but I don't like the whole kind of "listening to anything but rock makes you awesome" attitude. I definitely see the point of discovering different kinds of music (I couldn't live without doing this), but this just feels like boasting how open-minded you are because you listen to everything...

Who does this? :huh:

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 06:38:53 PM »
*cough*briang*cough*

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 07:29:55 PM »

That's pretty much the case with every music genre.  :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 07:35:09 PM »

Mostly so with Prog Metal though.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 07:46:53 PM »

I agree with this, if only because prog metal is so easy to fuck up. Too many bands seem to think "let's get high, go through a history or philosophy book, write down the first shit that comes to mind for lyrics to be deep and throw in an annoying wanky guitar/keyboard duel, then make the songs two or three times as long as they need to be" is the formula for success.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »

I agree with this, if only because prog metal is so easy to fuck up. Too many bands seem to think "let's get high, go through a history or philosophy book, write down the first shit that comes to mind for lyrics to be deep and throw in an annoying wanky guitar/keyboard duel, then make the songs two or three times as long as they need to be" is the formula for success.

:lol Yea, the more I think of it, the only 2 bands that I actually listen to from the Prog Metal genre are DT and PoS. All other I mostly don't like, or can only find a couple of songs I like.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 08:14:51 PM »
I'm not listening to much prog-metal at the moment, and haven't for quite a while now. I don't like it any less than I did, I still love the bands I loved. I'm just not finding anything new in the way of prog metal I like anymore.

But I was never exactly a prog-metal fanatic. DT, Tool, LTE, Opeth... Dillinger Escape Plan? That's about the extent of my taste in the genre. I'm constantly spinning new music (as in, stuff I'm just discovering, not stuff just released), and those five bands only release new material so often.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 08:16:22 PM »
:lol Yea, the more I think of it, the only 2 bands that I actually listen to from the Prog Metal genre are DT and PoS. All other I mostly don't like, or can only find a couple of songs I like.
You don't like Tool??
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 08:16:49 PM »
I'm not listening to much prog-metal at the moment, and haven't for quite a while now. I don't like it any less than I did, I still love the bands I loved. I'm just not finding anything new in the way of prog metal I like anymore.

But I was never exactly a prog-metal fanatic. DT, Tool, LTE, Opeth... Dillinger Escape Plan? That's about the extent of my taste in the genre. I'm constantly spinning new music (as in, stuff I'm just discovering, not stuff just released), and those five bands only release new material so often.

I wouldn't call Tool or LTE Prog Metal.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 08:17:09 PM »
I've never pigeonholed myself to liking mainly one genre or subgenre of music, so I rarely ever get to the point with one band or genre where I want to stop listening to them or completely lose interest.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 08:18:06 PM »
You don't like Tool??

No, I love Tool. There aren't Prog Metal though.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »
What would you call them besides amazing?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 08:24:34 PM »
You don't like Tool??
What would you classify them as then? I've asked myself this before and prog metal always seems to be the best answer.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
Well, I pretty much never listen to DT much anymore (unless they come up on shuffle), and I dont listen to prog at all for the most part anymore, though I was into it. My tastes have broadened and expanded now, so I'm always looking for new stuff that I may not have listened to before (genre-wise)
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 08:28:35 PM »
Same here dude. I hardly ever listen to prog at all anymore, I honestly haven't been in the mood for the long songs, the complex stuff, I'm more into shorter, more concise songs. Actually I haven't even been into metal in general lately, I've been listening to alot of ska, jazz, and other laid back stuff.

Offline LTE

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
You don't like Tool??
What would you classify them as then? I've asked myself this before and prog metal always seems to be the best answer.

I would call Tool just Progressive.  Not prog metal or rock, or alternative. But "Progressive" in the truest sense.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »

Music.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 08:36:37 PM »

Music.
Nice ninja edit.  :lol
I AM A GUY

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 08:37:08 PM »
Well I thought about it, and that's the only thing I can really put them as.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 08:40:39 PM »
Well I thought about it, and that's the only thing I can really put them as.
Well I think that they obviously have a fair amount of progressive elements in their music (most notably on Lateralus). They also obviously are heavy, and I can kind of see where you get the alternative rock idea from...... I don't know, I guess it really is hard to classify them.
I AM A GUY

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 08:44:17 PM »
I would never say they are metal. I just don't see them as a metal band. Metal for me incorporates more than just heaviness, it has to have the air of being, well, metal :metal. Tool doesn't have that.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 08:45:23 PM »
If Tool weren't a prog-metal band at the beginning, I think they've certainly become one.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »
Is Tool the new Kevin Moore?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »
I would never say they are metal. I just don't see them as a metal band. Metal for me incorporates more than just heaviness, it has to have the air of being, well, metal :metal. Tool doesn't have that.
What exactly does that mean? If Tool doesn't count as metal, then a lot of other bands don't as well...
I AM A GUY

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »
Is Tool the new Kevin Moore?
I probably have not been around long enough to know what this means...

EDIT: I understand now. Figured it out.
I AM A GUY

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 08:51:09 PM »
My listens for Dream Theater have gone down but they will re-bound once they release a new album. I'm currently busy listening to everything metalcore-related.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies