Author Topic: Kenny G likes Opeth?!  (Read 21474 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Kenny G likes Opeth?!
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2010, 10:37:39 AM »
That Pat Metheny article about him really soiled my opinion of the guy, but I still think a jam would be hilariously amazing.

???  Link?

I just read it again. I can't say I have anywhere near hostile an attitude toward him as PM does, but I understand where he's coming from.

https://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm
Gee, Pat, how do you really feel?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »
This is the first I've ever heard of Kenny G.

He looks a bit like the singer from C&C, only he's a bit older and he's dieted.

That is all.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
That Metheny article is amazing.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:43 PM »
If by "amazing" you mean "incredibly juvenile and self-indulgent," I agree completely.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2010, 01:34:26 PM »
Regardless of whatever Kenny G did or didn't do for the world of jazz after reading that Matheny article I can safely say ol' Pat went from being some guy I'd heard about numerous times whom I had eventually planned on checking out to now being someone I'll never bother wasting my time on. I can't believe how much of a twat he managed to come across as.

Never let a person's character dissuade you from checking out their art.  MJ probably molested kids, Axl is a world class dickhead, Ozzy tried to strangle his wife, but I enjoy the music of MJ, GnR, and Sabbath.  Metheny is a great guitarist, and he overreacted a little bit about Kenny G's stunt in that article (though I can understand where he's coming from), but don't let that keep you from enjoying his music.

On topic: Kenny G sucks, but its kinda cool that he's an Opeth fan.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »
The Kenny G love in this thread is making me nauseous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGtTblTR0YU

Really??

Reminded me of Bob Odenkirk playing the role of Sax Man on Tom Goes to the Mayor.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2010, 01:45:11 PM »
Regardless of whatever Kenny G did or didn't do for the world of jazz after reading that Matheny article I can safely say ol' Pat went from being some guy I'd heard about numerous times whom I had eventually planned on checking out to now being someone I'll never bother wasting my time on. I can't believe how much of a twat he managed to come across as.

Never let a person's character dissuade you from checking out their art.  MJ probably molested kids, Axl is a world class dickhead, Ozzy tried to strangle his wife, but I enjoy the music of MJ, GnR, and Sabbath.  Metheny is a great guitarist, and he overreacted a little bit about Kenny G's stunt in that article (though I can understand where he's coming from), but don't let that keep you from enjoying his music.

On topic: Kenny G sucks, but its kinda cool that he's an Opeth fan.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one since I've always been pissed at people who ignorantly shit on Metallica's 80s catalog just cuz they think it'll make them as "cool" as the other pea-brained poseurs who are "no longer a fan" of a band they probably never listened to in the first place beyond a few radio hits.

Now for some light-hearted semantic merriment:

MJ was never proven to have done a single thing.

G 'n' R only had one good album plus an additional album's worth of very good material spread across two albums (UYI I&II)

Tell me with a straight, unwavering face that the thought of strangling Sharon has never crossed your mind.

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »
Never let a person's character dissuade you from checking out their art.

Damn straight.  Like I have said before, if I had to get rid of CDs because I didn't like someone in the band for whatever reason, I would have to get rid of a lot of CDs, including all by Floyd (except the last two studio albums) and DT, two of my six favorite all-time bands.

Tell me with a straight, unwavering face that the thought of strangling Sharon has never crossed your mind.

Yes, Sharon Osbourne is a miserable human being, but her existence doesn't make Ozzy's four or five good solo albums less good, for example.  

• DT.net Member
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2010, 01:51:39 PM »
Never let a person's character dissuade you from checking out their art.

Damn straight.  Like I have said before, if I had to get rid of CDs because I didn't like someone in the band for whatever reason, I would have to get rid of a lot of CDs, including all by Floyd (except the last two studio albums) and DT.

Yes, Sharon Osbourne is a miserable human being, but her existence doesn't make Ozzy's four or five good solo albums less good.  

No brah, I already enjoy Ozzy. I was just playfully poking holes in skydivingninja's reasoning.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »
Oh, I know.  I just wanted to call Sharon a miserable human being. :biggrin: :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2010, 01:54:31 PM »
G 'n' R only had one good album plus an additional album's worth of very good material spread across two albums, two EPs, and the Terminator II soundtrack

Fixed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2010, 01:56:32 PM »
G 'n' R only had one good album plus an additional album's worth of very good material spread across two albums, two EPs, and the Terminator II soundtrack

Fixed.

I ain't losin' this debate. I'm going do some research then I'll be back!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »
I'm not contradicting you--just strengthening your argument.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2010, 01:58:17 PM »

You silly billy I was just taking the opportunity to make an italicized TII pun :lol :P

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Never let a person's character dissuade you from checking out their art. MJ probably molested kids, Axl is a world class dickhead, Ozzy tried to strangle his wife, but I enjoy the music of MJ, GnR, and Sabbath.

I don't care much for Ozzy or Sabbath, but I believe thinking about Sharon being strangled would make me enjoy the music more. Stupid cunt.

But I agree with skydivingninja. In my opinion, twisted individuals often make the best art.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2010, 02:00:58 PM »
Kev also brings up a very good point about Floyd and Roger Waters.

And yeah, I hate Sharon Osbourne too, but I just used that example to sort of encompass all of Ozzy's erratic and/or dicklike behavior.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »

You silly billy I was just taking the opportunity to make an italicized TII pun :lol :P

Yes, but your transition was awkward.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2010, 02:05:12 PM »

Yes, but your transition was awkward.

Is this just semantics or rather just some antics?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »
Yes

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »
That Pat Metheny article about him really soiled my opinion of the guy, but I still think a jam would be hilariously amazing.

???  Link?

I just read it again. I can't say I have anywhere near hostile an attitude toward him as PM does, but I understand where he's coming from.

https://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

"to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing"

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2010, 08:13:32 PM »
I would have to get rid of a lot of CDs, including DT

Who from DT do you dislike, if I might ask?  Not trying to start anything here, just wondering.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »
I would have to get rid of a lot of CDs, including DT

Who from DT do you dislike, if I might ask?  Not trying to start anything here, just wondering.

The drummer.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2010, 12:41:45 AM »
 :lol :tup

If by "amazing" you mean "incredibly juvenile and self-indulgent," I agree completely.

I don't see all of that. He makes some very, very good points. There's only a small part of it that might be considered juvenile or whatever (but I thought that was pretty funny). I'm really confused about why some of you guys think this article is so terrible.

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2010, 01:00:59 AM »
The entire thing reeked of snobbery:
his harmonic and melodic vocabulary was extremely limited, mostly to pentatonic based and blues-lick derived patterns

I don't care if something is just derived from blues scales, or isn't as complex as other jazz sax players, if it sounds good, that should really be all that matters.

*I'm not saying I like Kenny G, cause frankly I'm not familiar with his stuff at all, just that that isn't a valid criticism, even on a prog board
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2010, 07:30:56 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2010, 08:25:36 AM »
I'm really confused about why some of you guys think this article is so terrible.

I think Sigz pretty much summed it up.  But, yeah, he's very rudely going off on another musician solely because he subjectively believes that other musician's skills aren't up to par to be considered "troo jazz" and because he subjectively believes it is somehow taboo to overdub somebody he considers "important."  And he can't even for a moment conceive of any alternative but that the latter must somehow be an atrocity of such magnitude that everybody who isn't a halfwit is compelled to agree with him.  So, yeah, I found almost the entire article to be rude, puerile, condescending, and just plain stupid.

• DT.net Member
I'm really confused about why some of you guys think this article is so terrible.

I think Sigz pretty much summed it up.  But, yeah, he's very rudely going off on another musician solely because he subjectively believes that other musician's skills aren't up to par to be considered "troo jazz" and because he subjectively believes it is somehow taboo to overdub somebody he considers "important."  And he can't even for a moment conceive of any alternative but that the latter must somehow be an atrocity of such magnitude that everybody who isn't a halfwit is compelled to agree with him.  So, yeah, I found almost the entire article to be rude, puerile, condescending, and just plain stupid.

Very fuckin well-stated. He generalized and ranted to the point that it felt as if I was reading a pedantic post from some random crappy messsage board.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER

Very fuckin well-stated. He generalized and ranted to the point that it felt as if I was reading a pedantic post from some random crappy messsage board.

:neverusethis:

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
:lol

• DT.net Member
Yes...shallow and pedantic.
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »

:neverusethis:

What's with the tard? Did you think I was calling bosk's post pedantic or did you assume this was a subtle jab at dtf or forums in general?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2010, 05:30:02 PM »
I must say, I find your meatloaf rather shallow and pedantic.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2010, 05:31:53 PM »
I must say, I find your meatloaf rather shallow and pedantic.

See augmented "Subject" line.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2010, 05:33:42 PM »
Hence my post :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2010, 05:34:47 PM »
Hence my post :lol

o/ I have another highfive waiting for you by another of your posts...can you get there before emindead?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »
*\o

*hunts through BF's last posts*