Author Topic: Kenny G likes Opeth?!  (Read 21472 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Kenny G likes Opeth?!
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2010, 05:36:42 PM »
*\o

*hunts through BF's last posts*

Mmmmmm...huntin' for "bf"
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2010, 12:12:42 AM »
Do any of you guys listen to jazz other than "smooth" jazz? Because I think that might make a difference in one's opinion on this article.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2010, 12:14:51 AM »
Does it make a difference? They guy sounds like a douche either way.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »
Do any of you guys listen to jazz other than "smooth" jazz? Because I think that might make a difference in one's opinion on this article.

I do, and I actually really like Pet Metheny's stuff as well. I just thought his rant was unprofessional and unnecessary.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2010, 12:25:50 AM »

Does it make a difference? They guy sounds like a douche either way.

I agree with glau on this one. I have no problem with Matheny's view on the matter but just his immature "teen angst" facade through which he delivered his point. There's a relatively wide range of wording options that would place him safely away from both vitriolic pest and sugar-coating wimp by delivering his dislike in a frank yet mature manner.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ogrejedi

• DT.net Veteran
  • Run, run or you'll be well-done!
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2010, 01:34:32 PM »
Kenny G is justifiably hated. He is to jazz as Kraft Singles is to cheese. Pat Matheny, on the other hand, is among the greatest modern jazz musicians. Check out The Way Up and if you don't prefer it to Kenny G, you officially have horrible taste and should be banned from this forum
"Who are these swine? These flag-sucking half-wits who get fleeced and fooled by stupid little rich kids like George Bush? They are the same ones who wanted to have Muhammad Ali locked up for refusing to kill gooks. They speak for all that is cruel and stupid and vicious in the American character. They are the racists and hate mongers among us; they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss down the throats of these Nazis. And I am too old to worry about whether they like it or not. Fuck them."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »
I'm not debating that. All I'm saying is that he still comes off as a major douche.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
Kenny G is justifiably hated. He is to jazz as Kraft Singles is to cheese. Pat Matheny, on the other hand, is among the greatest modern jazz musicians.

So brie or roquefort or cheddar are justified for being prickish if they so desire?

Offline ogrejedi

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2010, 01:38:29 PM »
Kenny G is justifiably hated. He is to jazz as Kraft Singles is to cheese. Pat Matheny, on the other hand, is among the greatest modern jazz musicians.

So brie or roquefort or cheddar are justified for being prickish if they so desire?

I don't care what cheddar says. I just enjoy its taste. I also don't care if a Kraft Single shows up at a concert of a band I like; it still tastes horrible.
"Who are these swine? These flag-sucking half-wits who get fleeced and fooled by stupid little rich kids like George Bush? They are the same ones who wanted to have Muhammad Ali locked up for refusing to kill gooks. They speak for all that is cruel and stupid and vicious in the American character. They are the racists and hate mongers among us; they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss down the throats of these Nazis. And I am too old to worry about whether they like it or not. Fuck them."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2010, 01:58:23 PM »

I don't care what cheddar says. I just enjoy its taste. I also don't care if a Kraft Single shows up at a concert of a band I like; it still tastes horrible.

Buuuut, what if you saw cheezinator at a concert?

Offline ogrejedi

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »

I'd guard my butthole closely.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »

I'd guard my butthole closely.

:clap:  :) :metal

Offline billyzamore

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2010, 01:21:45 PM »
That PM article is spot on.  I'm gonna come off sounding snobbish for my first post but Kenny G is such an embarrassment to jazz and music as an art form that if the greatest jazz guitarist since Wes Montgomery wants to point out what every other respectable jazz musician would rather say with profanity I have no problem with it.  Oh, and Metheny is more or less one of the classiest musicians out there.

This forum hates on perfectly good pop music a lot more venomously than the PM article hates on Kenny G.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2010, 01:54:32 PM »
I don't really care whether PM likes Kenny G or not, but hating on someone for the reasons that he did is not valid as a criticism and it certainly isn't classy. It just makes you look like a pretentious dick.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »
"Waaaaah! Kenny G is a crap musician but is way more successful than me."

Welcome to the music industry.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2010, 03:39:12 PM »
Kenny G is justifiably hated. He is to jazz as Kraft Singles is to cheese.

I like Kraft Singles :-[
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »
Kenny G is justifiably hated. He is to jazz as Kraft Singles is to cheese.

I like Kraft Singles :-[

In the world of pseudocheese Velveeta stomps it though.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »
How can you hate the guy responsible for this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFWqk08tNY&feature=related

:heart

I'm completely serious.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »

I'm completely serious.

Fuck! When did you Brule-ize your avatar?!? 67 mega-awesome points to you chief  :hefdaddy

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2010, 11:02:41 PM »
I don't really care whether PM likes Kenny G or not, but hating on someone for the reasons that he did is not valid as a criticism and it certainly isn't classy. It just makes you look like a pretentious dick.

Wait, what?? I can understand why people might think the way he presented his argument was immature or whatever, but he gives perfectly good reasons for hating the guy's shitty music.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2010, 11:45:32 PM »
I don't consider 'he uses certain scales a lot' or 'he once recorded over another famous song' to be a reason to say he sucks, and it certainly doesn't justify calling for a boycot of his music.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2010, 01:02:29 AM »
Well, that's a matter of opinion. I'm sure he was not close to the only person offended by that whole thing.

But I boycott his music because it makes my ears bleed  :P

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2010, 01:22:01 AM »
Well of course it's an opinion, but to me neither one of those things are indicative of being a bad musician. I mean, recording over a 'sacred' song may offend a lot people, but it has nothing to do with musicianship.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2010, 01:30:35 AM »
Yeah, that article just makes PM seem like a total jackass... just the way he presented his opinion was very unprofessional.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2010, 01:43:31 AM »
I'm actually kinda with btc on this one.

The guy could have used a lot more tact, but isn't it plausible that an extremely gifted jazz musician, who probably has a fairly high standard of how he envisages jazz should be handled due to his own work in, dedication to and love of the genre, would criticise Kenny G's music for reasons to do with music theory and protecting the work of the pioneers?

If that argument was coming from any old jazz enthusiast hack, I'd be more inclined to write it off as pretentious snobbery, but if it's conceivable that anyone could hold an opinion like that and be half justified in doing so, he would certainly be in that group.

And I'm not even saying I agree with PM. Hell, I've never even heard Kenny G's music.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2010, 01:52:23 AM »
Protecting the work of the pioneers has nothing to do with Kenny's own music though.

And I still don't see music theory as a valid criticism. I doubt he would criticize a minimalist composer for being too simplistic, or a blues guitarist for using lots of pentatonic scales, but it's ok to criticize a jazz musician on those grounds just because it's 'jazz'?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2010, 02:17:40 AM »
For all we know, he enjoys the music of minimalist composers and blues guitarists.

Look, everyone has their own taste, and everyone's taste is going to be determined by different factors. Some people can't listen to a song made entirely electronically. Some people can't stomach a verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus rock song. Some people have no interest in hearing music which focuses on the musicians/solos instead of lyrics and singers. We all like to hear different things, and don't like to hear different things.

I can't see why it isn't understandable that a fairly accomplished musician's taste could be determined by things he does and doesn't like to hear in the realm of theory.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2010, 02:25:59 AM »
For all we know, he enjoys the music of minimalist composers and blues guitarists.

That's exactly my point. Why is it ok for them to be simplistic or use the same scales, but not ok for Kenny G?

What scale you're playing has little to do with whether a song or solo is actually good. Take the solo in Trains - the studio version's solo is great, John Wesley's live solo sucks ass. They're both in the same key and use the same scales, but one is great and one detracts from the song. Metheny's statement seems to be implying that he judges music (or at least jazz) based solely on music theory rather than whether or not it sounds good. That's my issue with it (besides the general snobbery that permeates the entire thing).

• DT.net Member
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2010, 02:27:21 AM »

Look, everyone has their own taste, and everyone's taste is going to be determined by different factors. Some people can't listen to a song made entirely electronically. Some people can't stomach a verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus rock song. Some people have no interest in hearing music which focuses on the musicians/solos instead of lyrics and singers. We all like to hear different things, and don't like to hear different things.

I can't see why it isn't understandable that a fairly accomplished musician's taste could be determined by things he does and doesn't like to hear in the realm of theory.

I don't find anything wrong with him having an opinion based on that but he seems to go beyond expressing it as opinion and imply it to be fact. Variances in people's tastes is no reason to simply bash someone especially when you've already made it painfully clear you have an agenda as is the case with Metheny's stance on the Satchmo issue.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2010, 05:35:20 AM »

That's exactly my point. Why is it ok for them to be simplistic or use the same scales, but not ok for Kenny G?

What scale you're playing has little to do with whether a song or solo is actually good. Take the solo in Trains - the studio version's solo is great, John Wesley's live solo sucks ass. They're both in the same key and use the same scales, but one is great and one detracts from the song. Metheny's statement seems to be implying that he judges music (or at least jazz) based solely on music theory rather than whether or not it sounds good. That's my issue with it (besides the general snobbery that permeates the entire thing).
Okay, the first thing I'm going to say is I don't play an instrument, and know jackshit about music theory myself. So this entire discussion is looking at things I only very vaguely understand.

But looking back at the article, the way I read it, I don't think he has a problem with pentatonic scales fullstop. He isn't slamming Kenny G for using them at all, he's slamming him for being almost entirely limited in skill to using them, and using them poorly (in his opinion). To me, that isn't judging it based purely on the theory. There is a measure of whether or not he thinks it sounds good.

I don't find anything wrong with him having an opinion based on that but he seems to go beyond expressing it as opinion and imply it to be fact. Variances in people's tastes is no reason to simply bash someone especially when you've already made it painfully clear you have an agenda as is the case with Metheny's stance on the Satchmo issue.
Well, a lot of people tend to express their opinions as fact. He does go pretty far though, I admit, but again, that has more to do with how he puts forth his opinion, not the opinion itself.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »

I'm completely serious.

Fuck! When did you Brule-ize your avatar?!? 67 mega-awesome points to you chief  :hefdaddy

All the credit should go to the brilliance of John C. Reilly :D

• DT.net Member
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2019, 02:18:24 AM »
9 year bump cuz why not. I just found this thread on Google cuz I was buzzed and searching for stuff about Kenny G being at an Opeth concert and now can't even remember what led me to do that.